View Full Version : Skating in Boston

momsk8er
04-15-2008, 12:28 PM
We are traveling to the Boston area for the weekend. Any good suggestions for freestyle sessions on Saturday afternoon or Sunday morning? We'll be in Lexington.

Thanks!

cecealias
04-15-2008, 03:00 PM
In late april and for most of the summer expect only the Skating club of Boston. And be prepared to pay lots for ice. They have a schedule posted on their website.

Figureskates
04-15-2008, 05:11 PM
We are traveling to the Boston area for the weekend. Any good suggestions for freestyle sessions on Saturday afternoon or Sunday morning? We'll be in Lexington.

Thanks!

Enjoy the Patriot's Day celebration in my hometown of Lexington!

Stormy
04-16-2008, 08:23 PM
The skating club of Natick has freestyles 8, 9, 10 & 11 AM on Sunday mornings. It's about 30 min from Boston, didn't know if you wanted to travel that far out, but it is an option. Enjoy your weekend!! :)

blue111moon
04-17-2008, 07:33 AM
I don't know what ice Skating Club of Boston will have this weekend. They're hosting a Tech Panel School Friday through Sunday, and they have a test session and a club competition on Sunday morning. Your best bet would be to call first.

New England Sports Center in Marlboro might have something on Saturday morning, if there's no hockey tournament.

Going further out along the Pike, SC of Worcester has freestyle ice from 10 - 11:50 on Saturday morning and 9:30 - 11:20 on Sunday morning until the end of April.

momsk8er
04-17-2008, 08:08 AM
thanks all for your help and advice

icedancer2
04-17-2008, 09:57 AM
One thing to know is that there is an ABUNDANCE of rinks in the Boston area!!

Almost every city and county has a rink - and some of the city/county rinks have early-morning publics that are quite empty - even on the weekends!

Let us know what you find when you get there - I loved skating in Boston when I lived there. So many rinks. so many choices.

:yum:

cecealias
04-18-2008, 02:44 PM
Abundance in the middle of summer??? Do tell!! In winter, yes.

I can't think of anything that is available within 10 minutes of downtown Boston in June - August except for SCOB.

Everything else is 30min -1 hr away by car, and then you have to pay toll frequently on the pike... that includes Marlborough and Colonial and Babson

Zoomana
04-18-2008, 02:47 PM
FMC Arenas have a ton of rinks well within ten miles of Boston (Everett, Cambridge, West Roxbury, etc.). Not sure how good they would be on the weekends, but they are great on the weekdays!

icedancer2
04-18-2008, 03:37 PM
Abundance in the middle of summer??? Do tell!! In winter, yes.

I can't think of anything that is available within 10 minutes of downtown Boston in June - August except for SCOB.

Everything else is 30min -1 hr away by car, and then you have to pay toll frequently on the pike... that includes Marlborough and Colonial and Babson

Well, since the OP was looking for ice this weekend I didn't think that meant summer ice.

Hingham has ice all summer - 30 minutes south of the city and no turnpike needed. I know there are other places that have opened since I moved there. I used to go up to Colonial in the summer (Boxborough?) and that is not that far from Lexington - again no pike.

cecealias
04-20-2008, 01:07 AM
I lived in Cambridge for 5 years....In my experience, the rinks within 10 minutes of driving downtown Boston are all closed between June through August except SCOB.

Going from Cambridge to Boxborough took me approximately 1 hour last time I tried driving there, and terribly frustrating!!!! so I try to avoid it when visiting- because 1 hr driving each way plus rental car plus time to skate ( 4 total hrs - 2 hrs to skate...) is overkill for me.

It makes me so glad that I now live in the SF bay area, rinks are open year round. I'm probably spoiled by the fact that I live within 5 minutes or less between two rinks.

Zoomana
04-20-2008, 08:25 AM
The Jim Roche arena in West Roxbury has public skating all summer, every day. The rink is immaculate and only once in awhile has rug rats.

Schmeck
04-20-2008, 10:23 AM
The Simoni rink in Cambridge closes for the summer?

That's news to me!

looplover
04-20-2008, 10:40 AM
It makes me so glad that I now live in the SF bay area, rinks are open year round. I'm probably spoiled by the fact that I live within 5 minutes or less between two rinks.

Where are those rinks? If you can seriously get from your place to two different rinks in five minutes I would love it there, esp if it's SF bay area. :mrgreen:

It takes me more than five minutes to get out of my apartment complex.

RoaringSkates
04-21-2008, 09:21 AM
There's a rink right in Lexington, at the Hayden Rec Center. There's also a rink that was just built in the next town over, in Bedford. Lastly, I believe someone told me there's a rink in Burlington, which is two towns over.

There is also Natick, which is only a 1/2 hour from Lexington. And as others mentioned, there's SCOB and the Colonials rink in, I believe, Acton. All an easy drive from Lexington.

RoaringSkates
04-21-2008, 09:23 AM
And I do believe most of the seasonal rinks are still open, at least through the end of this week.

cecealias
04-21-2008, 02:10 PM
Where are those rinks? If you can seriously get from your place to two different rinks in five minutes I would love it there, esp if it's SF bay area. :mrgreen:

It takes me more than five minutes to get out of my apartment complex.

Looplover, i'll PM you!

Kelli
04-22-2008, 04:17 PM
There's a rink right in Lexington, at the Hayden Rec Center. There's also a rink that was just built in the next town over, in Bedford. Lastly, I believe someone told me there's a rink in Burlington, which is two towns over.

There is also Natick, which is only a 1/2 hour from Lexington. And as others mentioned, there's SCOB and the Colonials rink in, I believe, Acton. All an easy drive from Lexington.

The rink in Lexington is a private rink. Cost of membership is almost definitely too high for a single weekend of skating. Burlington and Acton (Nashoba/Colonial) are good options.

icedancer2
04-22-2008, 04:18 PM
The rink in Lexington is a private rink. Cost of membership is almost definitely too high for a single weekend of skating. Burlington and Acton (Nashoba/Colonial) are good options.

Do they never allow a guest to skate?

I used to go to the dance sessions there, which were open to any dancer, regardless of club affiliation.

Kelli
04-22-2008, 04:31 PM
Do they never allow a guest to skate?

I used to go to the dance sessions there, which were open to any dancer, regardless of club affiliation.

The weekday dance might be different, but for club ice and general skates, there is no guest skating. I don't know if we've done this before, but when did you skate there, and who did you take from?

icedancer2
04-22-2008, 05:10 PM
The weekday dance might be different, but for club ice and general skates, there is no guest skating. I don't know if we've done this before, but when did you skate there, and who did you take from?

I was there in the early '90s. I was not a member. Just a dancer with Individual membership.

How do they people to join if they can't come as a guest first? Seems very unfriendly.
I will PM you with coach info.