View Full Version : Should I test?

Skittl1321
04-14-2008, 03:35 PM
I want some opinions about using a test session as a critique. The test session is not until June, but the registration is due next week. The test I am hoping to take is Bronze moves, and at this point, I am not ready. I have been working on these since October, but with many breaks- for injuries, to focus on freestyle competition, etc. My best skate may barely pass, my nervous skate wouldn't. I have extension problems on the back edge extensions, scared to turn problems on the 3-turns, and overall scratchy problems.

My knees are off and on now, and I don't know how seriously I'll be able to skate between now and June.

The test costs $40, plus a guesting fee if they charge one. It's a lot of money to get a retry on. However, if I pass- then I won't have to join USFSA next year- which is a pretty big savings. It also gives me a chance to once again try to get over test session nerves. I see benefits to a "practice" test. (Not the least which, if I go with the goal to skate my best, but not worry about passing- I might be able to pass it without dealing with the nerves that come with "hoping" to pass)

Anyone have opinions, experience, or related stories?

vesperholly
04-14-2008, 03:58 PM
Personally, I don't believe in "practice tests". Why set yourself up to fail? And the best possible outcome, pulling out a pass, would only result in moving up to a test level that will take you longer. Testing is stressful and expensive, and shouldn't be taken lightly. If you're looking for a critique, why not ask a local judge if they could watch your moves on a practice session? I have found that many judges are flattered to be asked for their opinion and willing to supply it.

Out of curiosity, why wouldn't you join the USFSA next year? Don't all clubs require you to join to skate, unless you're a basic skills member?

Hannahclear
04-14-2008, 04:05 PM
I wouldn't because I'm cheap. I was pissed when I failed Silver Moves, because it was disappointing and because I was out about $85 between fees and coaching time.

mdvask8r
04-14-2008, 04:08 PM
Out of curiosity, why wouldn't you join the USFSA next year? Don't all clubs require you to join to skate, unless you're a basic skills member?
I skate 12 - 20 hours per week, NONE of it on club ice. Many areas have enough rink sessions that club ice is really not necessary. If you're not planning to test or compete all year, the membership can be purely optional.

I agree about asking a judge for a critique -- very helpful!!

FlyAndCrash
04-14-2008, 04:21 PM
June is a long ways off. If you do decide to test, you could focus on mostly moves until the test ddate and then reward yourself with freestyle (at least, that is what I/my coach is planning on doing...).

I might be testing my early May, but my moves would pass on a good day... a really really good day. One move is far below passing, and the others are just about benchmark with one that is over on a good day. My coach has decided that I should work more on these moves, and I want to stop working on them!

It's all up to you, but I would definately talk to your coach and get his/her advice. If your near passing now, another two months of hard work will definately get you that much closer.

Skittl1321
04-14-2008, 04:31 PM

Our club has 1 hour of ice a week, there is no reason for me to join. I skate 1 freestyle session and 2-3 public sessions. This year I am an individual USFSA member only so I could do my PB moves and PB freeskate tests. If I do join a club, I probably wouldn't at my rink, but another close to us so I can get rid of guesting fees for test sessions. I don't compete USFSA (and only ISI when it is local or synchro) so the membership fee is only for me to take tests.

Skittl1321
04-14-2008, 04:33 PM
June is a long ways off. If you do decide to test, you could focus on mostly moves until the test ddate and then reward yourself with freestyle (at least, that is what I/my coach is planning on doing...).

That's what I was thinking- June is a long way from now. I have no idea if I'd be ready then, but I know I'm not ready now. Unfortunately now is when the forms are due.

It sounds like most people think "practice" tests are bad ideas. I wish forms weren't due so far in advance.

As for focus on moves, once my competition is over, that's the plan. I don't really like freestyle anyhow, well at least not having to jump- moves are what I enjoy.

GordonSk8erBoi
04-14-2008, 05:07 PM
As someone else mentioned, getting a judge to give you a critique can be really helpful. My coach wanted to do this for me before I test, and now that I've actually gotten to know one of the judges I think it would be good.

Skittl1321
04-14-2008, 05:20 PM
How would you find a judge for a critique? I somehow doubt there are many judges around here.

dbny
04-14-2008, 09:21 PM
It sounds like most people think "practice" tests are bad ideas.

What does your coach think about it? I know coaches who would not sign a student's test application when they felt the student was not ready because they did not want a "fail" on their record. It's not just you that a pass or fail affects.

mikawendy
04-14-2008, 11:20 PM
I've debated about this in the past, and I've always decided to not test and to get pointers another way. I figure between the expense of the test, time off work (if the test is a work day), and test-day nerves, I really want to be in a position to put my best work out there. YMMV, but that's how I've decided in the past.

vesperholly
04-14-2008, 11:49 PM
How would you find a judge for a critique? I somehow doubt there are many judges around here.
Where does the club that you would test at get judges? I'd say ask your coach. They would probably have more of a relationship with local judges than you have, so having a coach call a judge and say, "Can you come in to critique my skater?" would go over better than a skater asking, I think.

That's what I was thinking- June is a long way from now. I have no idea if I'd be ready then, but I know I'm not ready now. Unfortunately now is when the forms are due.
June is only a month and a half away! :)

blue111moon
04-15-2008, 07:31 AM
Maybe find another club to test at?

Most of the clubs around me (in New England) have test deadlines only one to two weeks before the test.

Personally, I think "practise tests" are a bad idea as well, but that's mainly because I know the judges don't like seeing skaters who clearly aren't ready to pass. The only reason I can think of to justify a "practise test" is in the case of a horrendously nervous skater who needs the experience of getting out in front of judges to learn how to deal with nerves.

If you want an opinion on how close you are to passing the test, why not call a local judge, offer to pay them mileage - and maybe dinner - and have them come in to give you their opinion? It would be cheaper than the test and you'd get better feedback.

Mrs Redboots
04-15-2008, 07:55 AM
Isn't it up to your coach, rather than to you? Here, test papers must be counter-signed by the coach, and it is they who keep them and present you with them to send off with the cheque!

If I were you, I'd sit down with your coach and talk seriously about it - if he reckons you have a chance of passing if you work steadily for the next few weeks, then go for it. If he reckons you haven't a snowball's, then leave it and, as others have suggested, invite a friendly local judge to come and critique.

Skittl1321
04-15-2008, 08:14 AM
Isn't it up to your coach, rather than to you? Here, test papers must be counter-signed by the coach, and it is they who keep them and present you with them to send off with the cheque!

If I were you, I'd sit down with your coach and talk seriously about it - if he reckons you have a chance of passing if you work steadily for the next few weeks, then go for it. If he reckons you haven't a snowball's, then leave it and, as others have suggested, invite a friendly local judge to come and critique.

Yes, the coach does have to sign the papers- but if I asked him to, he would. (I give the forms to him to sign- he doesn't have to get them to me.) I'm not that far off passing standard- and if I worked hard I could get there by June. Problem is there is no telling how hard my knees will let me work.

Now if I didn't have a snowballs chance- I wouldn't consider it. But there is a chance I could pass if I took it tomorrow. A small one, but if I can control my nerves, maybe. Nerves are the biggest reason I just want to get out there, pass or not.

I will also ask my coach about inviting a judge to critique- apparently there are 4 in our state, so maybe he has contacts with one. I'm thinking he'd be more apt to approve a practice test than a critique though, because HE can critique my moves, even though I like a second set of eyes.

There isn't another club I can test at before membership is due again. I agree with the poster who PMed me guessing test deadlines are so far out because they must get judges from out of state. (If I can't test in June, I'm going to wait until my Silver moves are also ready- so that I can do two tests in one year. USFSA membership is just too expensive to only do one test in a year)

quarkiki2
04-15-2008, 08:28 AM
Hmm... I don't know what to tell you. Maybe have another coach who has had adult skaters pass the bronze moves take a look at your moves? There's likely a couple on our team or coaching the team who could tell you if it's a go.

From what I've seen, it's the five-step that is your trouble move and adding power to the power crossovers and both of those just require practice. I don't think it's a matter of you not executing the stuff and you have good line and body position.

Personally, I prefer the Bronze moves and know that, if I worked on them, I'd be ready for a June test if I sent in the paperwork. Of course, I've still got to take the PB test, LOL! I hate that 3-turn pattern...

Sessy
04-15-2008, 08:41 AM
are all the testing sessions there due that far in advance as far as papers are concerned?
here it's only with the late spring sessions because everybody's trying to pass up a level before august so they can compete a level higher the next year, while they have a hard time filling in the september-october sessions.

Skittl1321
04-15-2008, 08:48 AM
Hmm... I don't know what to tell you. Maybe have another coach who has had adult skaters pass the bronze moves take a look at your moves? There's likely a couple on our team or coaching the team who could tell you if it's a go.

From what I've seen, it's the five-step that is your trouble move and adding power to the power crossovers and both of those just require practice. I don't think it's a matter of you not executing the stuff and you have good line and body position.

Personally, I prefer the Bronze moves and know that, if I worked on them, I'd be ready for a June test if I sent in the paperwork. Of course, I've still got to take the PB test, LOL! I hate that 3-turn pattern...

Hmmmm? Who might be a coach who had a skater just pass bronze moves.... where could I find one :lol:

Maybe we could just switch names, I'll do your PB and you can do my Bronze?
BTW- pictures are up on actionphotos.com None worth buying, for me, but some okay ones. They didn't have an up high photographer, so you don't see any formations.

jskater49
04-15-2008, 08:53 AM
In my former club, we would have judges come maybe once a year and pretty much everyone tested, ready or not. So in that case the judges were not horrified if you really weren't ready, they knew us and the coach pretty well.

I actually tested my Bronze moves like that several years ago and I so chickened out on my mohawks I actually joked with the judges while I was doing them "Okay wait a minute I promise you -I'm going to do this pattern for you at least once!" But that was kind of the atmosphere. I found it helpful to get the feedback and I actually got passing marks on some of the moves.

I get very nervous and I've been considering testing my Bronze moves when the judges come in July, ready or not, just because I might be less nervous if I think I don't really have a good chance of passing. Although the coach I have now does not like to put people on unless they have a 98.76 % chance of passing.

So I can see the merits of going for it, ready or not, if your coach is okay with it.

joelle