View Full Version : Strong or Jelly-like (4/14 - 4/20)

chowskates
04-14-2008, 07:15 AM
Today I was back on the ice for the 3rd time postpartum. The first time, my legs felt like jelly. Today they felt stronger... so here goes:

Strong:
Jumps are coming back... the single ones at least.

Layback felt good, even grabbed the blade and tried to go for a haircutter (but got too dizzy).

Tried the sit spin, started great and low, but...
Jelly-like: could not get back up!!! :roll:

Double sals are way under-rotated, and those that I didn't splat on I was leaning too far to the right on the landing - but hey, what am I expecting just 2 months after a baby??

Cheers,
Chow

FlyAndCrash
04-14-2008, 11:01 PM
Strong: I went to practice ice today even though it was three hours before show practice. And I worked for pretty much the whole hour instead of slacking off like I want to when my coach isn't on the ice. I went through all my moves and they all work at what I think was passing except the stupid power pulls... My coach and I have decided that I'm going to put out a strong 5-step to counteract my below passing powerpulls.

Jelly: My layback is gone. Not that it was ever here, but I need a refresher lesson. I HATE laybacks, and there is one in the group number. My camel decided to come back from the dead though.

Strong: I did a run-thru of my program and all my elements fit and i ended fairly on time (it fades out so you can't tell if I'm a little off).

Jelly: My choreography does not fit now that my coach added a new beginning... I think I might just skip it so that the movements fit the words.

Mrs Redboots
04-15-2008, 07:34 AM
Strong: Coach1 had no major criticisms this morning, just said things were still "a little ragged".

Jelly: I, however, had major, major criticisms about our speed in the Rhythm Blues and the Swing Dance - and I think Coach1 realised afterwards that we hadn't been going as fast as we usually do now; I don't think he'd quite hauled in that we have speeded up a wee bit these past few months!

Have a slight chest cold, caught from Coach1 and Husband both! Not good, as it means I don't have much wind or stamina right now.

Rusty Blades
04-15-2008, 08:51 AM
Strong It is NICE to be back to regular practice after Nationals :mrgreen: I just LOVE getting up in the wee hours and being on the road way before sunrise! :roll:

Had a GOOD skate this morning, the strongest since my Interpretive at Nationals 15 days ago! (Sure could have used that energy level for my Freeskate 14 days ago!!!!)

Upright spins are coming back in a big way :D sit spin .... not quite. Forward edges and XOs were smokin'! 8O Did a few Waltz jumps - they were ok - but the Toe Loops still stink - LOL! And spent a LOT of time on backwards.

I had heard the expression "Skate DOWN in the ice not on top of it" and never knew what it meant until today. Working on back edges, I kept thinking "Keep down in the knees, soft knees!", which I was doing, and then realized THIS is "skating down in the ice"! It is ever so smooth, powerful, and graceful!!! A couple more sessions like that on back edges and I will finally have my back cross-overs :giveup:

sk8_4fun
04-15-2008, 11:24 AM
strong: skated my freedance almost clean,and without hitting traffic; had a lesson on jumps and was told they have improved, did some awesome(for me) spins that made my coach say wow! and The ice was great today and I had freshly sharpned blades.:mrgreen:

Jelly: Only my legs after I got off the ice lol! Nothing else to add as it would contradict my new 'positive mental attitude' mantra.

flo
04-15-2008, 12:08 PM
Strong: The morning coffee at the office.
Jelly: My knee. Went back to PT, and we're slowly re-building the tendon strength. The goal before was to be able to compete at nats, and now that that's done, time to recover!

Mrs. Redboots - get that swing dance so I can follow you! As I remember from following folks in class, it's the first one where you get to go backwards. I liked that.

Mrs Redboots
04-15-2008, 12:24 PM
Mrs. Redboots - get that swing dance so I can follow you! As I remember from following folks in class, it's the first one where you get to go backwards. I liked that.
Didn't we do it the year you were over? I can't remember now. Anyway, you'd overtake me before the end of the first chassé.....

flo
04-15-2008, 01:01 PM
Mrs R. and fellow dancers:
HA! I can't remember - I have no head for remembering the patterns. I like to learn the skills, then I can follow those who know the dance.

jazzpants
04-15-2008, 02:54 PM
Strong:
Nice calm easy session for me post Nationals. Yup! I'm crazy to be back on ice right after Nationals. :giveup:

Jelly-like:
My legs!!! I'm TIRED!!! First half of the session I was thinking "Bad move to come back to skate so soon after Nationals." :oops:

Strong:
GRRRR!!! On the second half of the session, my jumps are back and so are the spins... and I mean my GOOD ONES too, including my good flip (instead of the "wimpy skin to my teeth ones I did at Nationals) and my good lower sit spins! (Where were you at Nationals!!! GRRRRR!!! :frus:)

(Note to self: Must go back to figure skating personal trainer to figure out a way to warm up my sit spins off ice so that at competition I can get them in QUITE LOW on the ice.) ;)

Jelly-Like:
Still jet lagged and EXHAUSTED!!!

ETA: One more... the coach's BILL for AN!!! 8O

jskater49
04-16-2008, 10:16 AM
Jelly- I was just very tired this morning and after every Move I was winded.

My power 3s seem to have deteriorated. My turns had been very good and I just needed to work on getting on a better inside edge for the rollover, but today I couldn't seem to hold my exit and pattern got off...

Strong - did my Swing, with mohawks and all...also dd has added arm movements for the show number, so I'm doing arm movements with progressives, a little tricky but I seem to have got that down - of course it's so easy on a practice session, get me with all those girls on an official practice and it will all go to the hot place.

j

Skittl1321
04-16-2008, 04:30 PM
Strong I finally did a backspin! A real one with my leg crossed and everything! I am thrilled! I still can't exit though. Coach said program is ready for competition, which is good because it's next weekend.

Like Jelly Knees aren't doing so well. I've also lost all my jumps now that instructors have changed the technique to make it more like a "real" jump and less like a beginner one.

Bill_S
04-16-2008, 06:52 PM
Well, not quite about my skating practice, but related. Our rink closes after the ice show in early April (sigh), and I'm the one who volunteers to make photos of the show skaters in both posed and action situations.

Here's a tight crop of one photo that says it all about the show...

http://oak.cats.ohiou.edu/~schneidw/skating/images/opening_art.jpg

If anyone is interested in seeing more photos of our annual ice show, go to http://www.shutterfly.com/pro/wschneider/skate08

and click on the appropriate galleries. Lots of fun skating pictures showing skaters of all sizes.

This is my way of passing time when there's no ice.

jskater49
04-16-2008, 10:21 PM
Well, not quite about my skating practice, but related. Our rink closes after the ice show in early April (sigh), and I'm the one who volunteers to make photos of the show skaters in both posed and action situations.

Here's a tight crop of one photo that says it all about the show...

http://oak.cats.ohiou.edu/~schneidw/skating/images/opening_art.jpg

If anyone is interested in seeing more photos of our annual ice show, go to http://www.shutterfly.com/pro/wschneider/skate08

and click on the appropriate galleries. Lots of fun skating pictures showing skaters of all sizes.

This is my way of passing time when there's no ice.

Wow. I wish we had someone to take action shots for our show!

Rusty Blades
04-17-2008, 04:54 AM
Absolutely AMAZING shot Bill!!!!!!

Jelly: (More like jelly that has been forgotten in the back of the fridge for six months!) Watched the videos of my performance at (Canadian) Nationals - YUK!

(Should NEVER watch your own videos whole sober! 8O )

Skittl1321
04-17-2008, 07:33 AM
Bill- the photos all look great.

Last night synchro practice was weird. We have a small team (11) and 3 of the members aren't going to our local competition, so we spent the time trying to fix formations for the 8 of us. Thankfully, there aren't too many changes, so it shouldn't be confusing- but wow it's weird skating with only 8.

I now have to do a 2 foot spin the "wrong" way. If I get a good entry, I can get 4-5 revolutions, but if I get a bad entry (I'm on the wrong spot of my blade) I can't self correct like I can in my natural direction and just skitter to a halt. Cross my fingers I get a good one.

I'm about to add another day to my skating. I'm so excited- I'll be up to 4 days a week, with a possible 5th.

quarkiki2
04-17-2008, 08:26 AM
Bill, your photos are awesome!

And, yes, skating with 8 instead of 11 was strange. Although nothing I'm doing changes, LOL, except the circles are smaller. I think it might have been easier if I did change because I remember that stuff and others struggle to remember choreography, but at least we're skating on our own ice and shouldn't have issues with confusion about the rink or ice itself.

I did wear a knee pad and did not bang my kee, yay! Hopefully, the bruises will heal soon...

Rusty Blades
04-17-2008, 09:47 AM
Despite the shattering of any delusions about my skating ability and a less than ideal night's sleep, I dragged my sorry a..... backside off to the rink as usual this morning. It's hard to get enthusiastic after seeing your own video but it left me a long list of things to work on (like danged near everything!)

Strong: I noticed in the video that I really drag out the entrance to the upright spin which makes it look feeble. Ok, so lets try "snapping" into that spin ..... HOLY! They're FAST that way! Despite the speed, they seem to be easier to hold - some were hanging together 5 or 6 revolutions!

Jelly: My skating in general - LOTS to work on!

jazzpants
04-17-2008, 10:52 AM
Jelly Like: Still my legs from the trip. Still not quite over the jet lag. Still tired!!! :frus:I definitely need a vacation, but my JOB says I already had one and gave me 3 weeks worth of work to catch up on. (Note: I've only been gone ONE week!!! :evil: )

My secondary coach suggests that this year's goals be to work on spins and my "in-between" skating. I brought up the concern that I still won't be able to place well w/o a lutz at Bronze and my flip is still wonky. She said "Don't worry! We will work on that too, but your main focus this year is to work on your in-between skating and your spins"

Starts me off on the sit spin, which wasn't bad but I had to turn my foot out... had a slight Charley Horse (sp?) doing that. Secondary coach consults my figure skating personal trainer, who suggests that I really need to get in my potassium and roll out that muscle before and after the session. I tried it later on again and it was better. I did shoot the ducks on my own though and it didn't hurt. :)

Strong: My figure skating personal trainer told my secondary coach that I did very well at AN. HUGE compliment coming from her!!! :bow:

Should be interesting what my primary coach says about my AN debut this morning. I know him... he can be ummm... quite brutal with the truth!!! 8O :twisted::lol:

momsk8er
04-17-2008, 11:31 AM
Bill - that is an awesome photo. You should be quite proud of it.

Jelly - I haven't posted much lately as I haven't skated much due to a series of family and job commitments. When I have skated I've been working out a blade placement issue (and learning something about "if it ain't broke...).

Strong - This morning's practice felt like progress even if the blade issue is still in play. Some significant steps on the horizon. Back spin is really coming (at one point last week when my blade placement was really wrong, the backspin was better than my forward spin - imagine that!). I can get 3-4 revs pretty consistently now. So that is really making me happy. This is the first completely new skill that I have learned as an adult (seems like backspins were taught as a more advanced skill when I was learning as a child), so it is exciting.

Also, I have made some progress on my loop jump. I managed one tiny teeny wimpy little jump where I didn't put my free foot down first!! You don't want to know how long I've been working on that jump. Huh, maybe the backspin progress is helping the loop jump.

Anyway, happy camper here today.

LilJen
04-17-2008, 06:26 PM
One week plus two days to our spring show (I'd post the URL for more info, but our club's blasted website is woefully out of date). I got put into a number with three other adults--two women in their 40s and one man who's 75--and we are doing DISCO. . . . to Earth, Wind, and Fire. It's been eeeeenteresting. I think it'll come off okay; poor 75-year-old kind of missed the disco era so the moves are very foreign to him. We gals are doing our best to catch him up.

Jelly: Bad ankle's been bothering me with pinched nerve-like twinges--well, more like shooting pains--at random moments :( NOT GOOD. I think that it may be coming time to get some boots that accomodate my bonier ankle bones--current boots are kind of squishing them, and while Bunga pads have been super helpful, clearly they're not a long-term solution.

jazzpants
04-17-2008, 07:27 PM
Have a feeling that my coaches are either on the same brain wave, or I really need to work on this...

Jelly-Like:
Working on "flow" today. I have good speed and flow... just not good enough to go against a Silver level skater in Interp at AN! :oops: We worked on some basic drills and ummm... it wasn't fun but it's getting there.

I had a short chat with primary coach re: my Interp program at AN. He confirmed that if I was going to do well in interp at AN, I better get my edges and flow and stuff caught up to the Silver level skaters. Yes, we will be working on the "in between" skating part of my programs this year. (Sounds like both my coaches are on the same page... well minus the spins part.) Hopefully in the next few months I will be more "polished"... well enough that Thin-Ice will notice the next time she sees me skate again! LOL!!! :P :lol:

I will keep my Interp program, but there will be a "costume change." (Yes, I may finally wear JAZZPANTS to a comp!!!) ;)

Strong:
I did reaffirm though that I have BO3 on both legs though... and I did okay for a beginner in back power 3's. Now to get the BI3... and I *might* start thinking of practicing for the Silver Moves test in the future then... (Meaning right now when someone asks when I'm taking the Silver Moves test, I would say "HA!!! Silver Moves??? Yeah, RIIIIGHT!!! Maybe FAAAAAR into the future, if ever...")

I did some sit spins after my lesson and did about 3-4 very good (as in skating leg almost parallel to the ground) sit spin.

I did loops and loop-loops too!!! In fact, I also managed to do a couple of good flips and a couple of lutzes -- one very good. One very cheated though on the entry. :oops: Lucky for me, the one that I had an eyewitness watching me on was the good one!!! :mrgreen: (Eyewitness asked if that jump is in my program. I unfortunately told him "No, it's not in the program! I just learned it.")

Jelly-Like:
Needless to say, that's all I could muster out since I was EXTREMELY tired after the skating session. I tried doing a couple more sit spin, only to go SPLAT of all of them. "Yup! Time to go home and hit the shower!!!" :lol:

jskater49
04-18-2008, 06:55 AM
Jelly like

Last night was Picture Night for our Show. I'm in like 4 numbers ...now I know why the little kids get cranky and whiney, about the second time I had to change costumes I'd had enough!

J

looplover
04-18-2008, 10:01 AM
Strong: early in practice today I did a sit spin that I think was parallel, because it felt much lower than the others - the ones I'd thought were parallel but weren't. Really worked on extending the free leg, turning out the toe and stretching arms out more. The spin felt much stronger. Unfortunately nobody actually witnessed this, lol.

I still can't do a sit-change-sit but I can now transfer weight to my right foot. (baby steps)

My new obsession is to get a good camel/sit/back sit. I am totally obsessed with this because they just look so cool.

Was MISERABLE last evening because of work and woke up that way this a.m., and was able to block it out before I got on the ice, and skating totally diffused my anger over work. Hence, I was able to go to work and remain employed. Yay!

Jelly-like: yeesh that camel is hard to learn, so many little things to focus on at once. Had a good lesson on it but wasn't really able to do one. Couple of really scary near-falls off the toe pick. Wasn't able to flip today, mental block is in full swing.

Bill_S
04-18-2008, 11:19 AM
Jelly like

Last night was Picture Night for our Show. I'm in like 4 numbers ...now I know why the little kids get cranky and whiney, about the second time I had to change costumes I'd had enough!

J

I know what you mean. They DO get cranky and don't want to be posed. The phrase "herding kittens" comes to mind.

Last weekend, the kids got even with the photographer (me) - one of the lil' darlings gave me strep throat. The doc has prescribed antibiotics and some rest this weekend.

If someone had strep and had to skate, they'd be forgiven for being REALLY cranky.

Mrs Redboots
04-18-2008, 11:36 AM
Strong: Good skate this morning; husband and I did some useful work on the starts of our compulsory dances.

Jelly: Blasted MP3 player decided to die on me, and I haven't been able to find a cheap one anywhere.

Strong: However, a very kind friend has just upgraded hers and has offered me an old one, so I am feeling very pleased!

Mrs Redboots
04-19-2008, 06:03 AM
Don't usually skate on a Saturday, but Husband has to work, exceptionally, so we got up early and gave ourselves an hour before he went in and before the patch got too insanely crowded.

Strong: We were very amused to see that the only people who had arrived before us were other 50-somethings! A couple of 30-somethings did turn up within a few minutes, but at 6:30 in the morning, age group V rules supreme! The young obviously need their sleep.

So we good a good workout, and did some useful work on the Dutch Waltz. The ice was lovely.

Jelly: The rest of our skating was not, alas! I hope we're in the "darkest hour is jut before dawn" syndrome, as if things don't improve sharpish, we'll look like right tits when we get to the Mountain Cup!

Morgail
04-19-2008, 12:52 PM
Jelly-like:
Tested the cha cha this morning and got a retry (although one judge passed me!). It wasn't entirely unexpected, so I'm not upset. It would've been nice to pass, but I really haven't been working on this dance for long. At least I know what I need to improve upon now!

Strong (hopefully!):
Testing Silver Free this afternoon. If I can hold onto my combo spin, I think I can get this one.

Mrs Redboots
04-19-2008, 01:10 PM
Jelly-like:
Tested the cha cha this morning and got a retry (although one judge passed me!). It wasn't entirely unexpected, so I'm not upset. It would've been nice to pass, but I really haven't been working on this dance for long. At least I know what I need to improve upon now!

Strong (hopefully!):
Testing Silver Free this afternoon. If I can hold onto my combo spin, I think I can get this one.

*Hugs* on the retry, and congratulations on the one pass mark. What did the others think was the problem?

Looking forward to hear how your Silver Free went.

doubletoe
04-19-2008, 04:24 PM
Jelly-like:

Strong (hopefully!):

Keeping fingers crossed for your Silver freestyle test! Let us know how it goes!

Morgail
04-19-2008, 05:09 PM
Definitely Strong!
Thanks for the kind wishes:) I passed! Whee!

Something was weird with the CD player so I could barely hear my music. I messed up my combo spin and didn't hold my camel long enough during the program, so I got retries for those. Did them much better the second time, and all 3 judges passed me:D

*Hugs* on the retry, and congratulations on the one pass mark. What did the others think was the problem?

My wide-step wasn't wide-stepped enough, and then I also didn't get a good enough outside edge on the up-down-up-down part right after the wide-step. The last part is kind of funny because I usually make the edges too deep! :lol: But I think the nerves got to me and then that lobe got too shallow. There's another test session in June, and hopefully I'll have it polished up by then.

Jelly-Like
Now I have to really focus on Gold Moves 8O

myste12
04-19-2008, 06:17 PM
Definitely Strong!

Something was weird with the CD player so I could barely hear my music. I messed up my combo spin and didn't hold my camel long enough during the program, so I got retries for those. Did them much better the second time, and all 3 judges passed me:D

Congratulations!!!

FlyAndCrash
04-19-2008, 10:59 PM
IT'S SHOW WEEK!

I have show practice today and Monday, dress rehersal Thursday, and shows Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Whew!

Strong: I remembered my group number (well, most of it anyways) and all of us got through it without any major mishaps.

Jelly: One girl was gone and had missed the last practice too. Everyone was really mad at her because there is only one more run-through before dress rehersal. :evil:

Strong: My coach told me that I'm starting skating on Wednesdays with her this week until ice at my usual rink opens up again in late June when they finish maintainance.

Jelly: My rink is closing after the show! :cry:

Strong: My coach gave me the testing form and told me the costs for the pre-juv moves test. Thankfully, she will not be adding a free at the last moment like she did last time.

Jelly: My coach is expecting me to test my pre-juv moves in less than a month! 8O

FlyAndCrash
04-19-2008, 11:01 PM
Morgail: Congrats on the Pass! :bow:

Isk8NYC
04-19-2008, 11:07 PM
Definitely Strong!
Thanks for the kind wishes:) I passed! Whee! CONGRATULATIONS!!!

I am exhausted, having skated three days in a row on very dull blades.
Spins are pretty good, even combo's. Landed a few good jumps, esp. the salchows - actually starting to "feel" the edge on takeoff again, so that's a good sign of jumps returning. My right knee's in pain from all the loop jump attempts. Landed one or two, had little touchdowns on the others. Flip is still very close. Not too bad considering I don't skate very much lately.

One of the twins took a power skating class for the first time. She was the last one to finish all of the exercises, but I was very impressed that she did finish them. She didn't cheat or skip a line. I just wish it wasn't at 7:30am on a Sat when I have to be at the rink for groups at noonish. Too much time to kill in between.

SkatingOnClouds
04-20-2008, 03:45 AM
Strong !!!

Did not regret the switch back to my old skates at all this weekend. (Plenty of time to get used to the radically different Proflex and Matrix Freestyles after the upcoming comp.) Jumps are starting to come back, and even my spins are starting to work again. Muscles are aching, I'm exhausted, and I can feel I've had a good workout.

Had 1 hour private ice time this morning, including 30 mins with my coach, so we have finished my program. Now I have to practise & polish.

Love private ice time. Clean ice, no pop music, just the sound of blades in the ice, that gorgeous sound of cracking ice crystals. Mmm-mmm. Worth $50 an hour to have that.

Another skater told me today that my sit spin is "legal", meaning low enough to count as a sit spin. Yay, I didn't know I was getting it that low. She also said she'd have to get her Tonya Harding club out on me, cos she reckons she can't compete with my flip/loop combo. That made me feel good too, except I can't compete with her catchfoot camel or general neatness & grace.

I love ice skating, I feel so goooooood !!!!

aussieskater
04-20-2008, 07:30 AM
Love private ice time. Clean ice, no pop music, just the sound of blades in the ice, that gorgeous sound of cracking ice crystals. Mmm-mmm. Worth $50 an hour to have that.

I'm so jealous - $50/hour? I was told today that private ice at my regular rink is now over $400 8O for an hour. And that's at the socially acceptable :P times of Sundays at 5am or after 11pm or midnight (I haven't checked the cost with the front desk since there's no way I could afford even half that. But the occasional $50 I would probably make it my business to find - it would make the $35 half-hour lesson much more worthwhile not having to dodge public session skaters!)

Good luck for your competition and I hope the new boots eventually work out for you. Just keep an eye on the warranty period - you don't want to let it expire without making a decision as to whether you're going to keep them, and be stuck with them by default.

Mrs Redboots
04-20-2008, 08:47 AM
My wide-step wasn't wide-stepped enough, and then I also didn't get a good enough outside edge on the up-down-up-down part right after the wide-step. That was why, of course - if you don't get the inside edge on the wide-step, or if you curve it too far round, you flat the "double whammy". At least, I do.

Huge congrats on passing your Silver Free!

As for us:

Strong: Looking slightly less dire today; hope we have reached our nadir and will be on the up from now on.

Jelly: Husband, who was supposed to be sweeping me into his manly arms at one stage in our free dance, prostrated himself at my feet instead! It was actually quite funny.... and he didn't hurt himself.

ElinorD
04-20-2008, 12:53 PM
Strong:
Sit spins seem to be finally starting to click... now consistency & a better "sit" position are the goal... Camel spin got a touch better. Long way to go, though.

Jelly-like:
My brain.
Doggone it! I could not jump today. It feels like I need half the rink to be clear before I'll try a waltz jump. It seems like I'm always in someone's way, or else, I set up to jump & someone cuts right into my path. The more I try to be careful, the worse it gets. So frustrating! And I almost got my head cut off during a camel spin. I don't think she ever saw me. :frus:

Helen88
04-20-2008, 01:02 PM
Jelly:
SOOO jet-lagged!!

Strong:
Florida was great, and we arrived back from terminal 5 complete with luggage :D

Jelly:
Got back Saturday morning - looked at the clock this morning when I woke up - 'Helen...you've got to leave in half an hour, get out of BED!!' :lol:

Strong:
Coach said I didn't look too rusty...

Jelly:
Shame, I felt it :giveup:

But hey - a few weeks and I'll be back where I was a few weeks ago...8O

Rusty Blades
04-20-2008, 02:26 PM
Morgail: Congratulations!

SkatingOnClouds: $50/hour? I'll take some of that!

Stong: (Sort of skating related.) Balanced the books after Nationals - not as bad as I feared - should be able to eat something other than macaroni & cheese by the end of April ;) Still have 11 sessions left on my ice card to :mrgreen:

doubletoe
04-20-2008, 05:48 PM
Definitely Strong!

My wide-step wasn't wide-stepped enough, and then I also didn't get a good enough outside edge on the up-down-up-down part right after the wide-step. The last part is kind of funny because I usually make the edges too deep! :lol: But I think the nerves got to me and then that lobe got too shallow. There's another test session in June, and hopefully I'll have it polished up by then.

Jelly-Like
Now I have to really focus on Gold Moves 8O

Yay!! Congratulations!! Don't let the Gold moves scare you. Just don't rush the brackets, 'cause they don't like to be surprised, LOL. ;)

Morgail
04-20-2008, 09:08 PM
Yay!! Congratulations!! Don't let the Gold moves scare you. Just don't rush the brackets, 'cause they don't like to be surprised, LOL. ;)

:lol: Thanks for the advice! I already have a slight bracket complex, since that's what caused my ankle injury last September. I've managed to start working on forward outside brackets again, and nothing dire has happened yet. Keeping my fingers crossed...

dbny
04-20-2008, 09:18 PM
Definitely Strong!

CONGRATULATIONS!

Jelly-like:
Have been sick since Tuesday afternoon and lost an entire week's skating and coaching too (bye, bye $$$).

Strong:
Also lost 7 pounds! Going back to work tomorrow, and hoping to be ready for my lesson Friday.

icedancer2
04-20-2008, 09:20 PM
Strong: Went to the dance session today and had a sort-off lesson with my (sometimes) dance coach - we worked on the Starlight Waltz and it felt pretty good! The work that I have been doing with my primary coach (basics, basics, basics, basics, basics) plus all of the yoga and other core-strengthening work I've been doing is starting to pay off - I think he was sort of surprised and he DEFINITELY noticed. It was great to get the feedback and finally get a chance to dance with him again.

Also got a GREAT haircut yesterday and loved showing it off at the rink - everyone seemed to like it - feel like spring!!

Jelly-like: My knees right now. I find that whenever I work hard with this dance-guy my legs are really sort afterwards because he really makes me get down in my knees.

But this time it was so worth it!!!:)

singerskates
04-20-2008, 10:16 PM
I did a solo in my ex-club's skating show on Saturday but it wasn't the program I had planned on doing since January. I wanted to do a version of my Avril Lavigne 's "When You're Gone" interpretive program but the club wouldn't allow me to do my competition program length of 2:37. I had to pick another tune a week before the show making sure that it was approx 1:30 in length and only got to put it together 2 days before the show by myself. My coach isn't allowed to coach at the club and so, I didn't have access to him to have him help me choreograph it.

Apparently, the audience liked the number I did anyway. I on the other hand, was dissapointed with how I skated because, I was out of sinc with the music. I did my final spin way to early and ruined my planned ending.

kander
04-20-2008, 10:32 PM
Jelly-Like: Had a terrible practice during my coaching session on thursday. Why does that always happen? It's like throwing money away. Grrr.. I also lost one of my heart rate monitor straps at the same session. Another 50 bucks thrown away...:frus:

Strong: My reconstructed axel is coming around. I did 5 of them today! I'm starting to get the mojo. My toeloop is also back after having taken an unexplainable vacation for a week. I also did my first nice double loop in a long time.

jcookie1982
04-20-2008, 11:15 PM
Congrats on passing your test Morgail!

SkatingOnClouds
04-21-2008, 03:55 AM
I'm so jealous - $50/hour? I was told today that private ice at my regular rink is now over $400 8O for an hour.

Yeah, but's only a 1/4 size rink !!!

:D

LilJen
04-21-2008, 09:57 AM
Anyone have a good cure for Manic Wacko 3-Turn-itis? I have a bad case.

It's show week for me, too; synchro practice last night, show practice Thursday for another number, dress rehearsal Friday night, then two shows on Saturday and one on Sunday. Yeesh!

Sent my left boot home with Dance Buddy/Boot & Blade Expert for punching out. I'm hoping this will cure the mashed feeling and pinched nerve sensations that are afflicting my knobbier-than-before-fractures ankle bones.