View Full Version : changing from 7' to 8' rocker

Gareth
04-12-2008, 08:37 AM
Heres my dilemma, I want to upgrade blades but to what!?!
Im currently skating on Wilson four aces, basically a coronation ace with straight cut picks.

I like the idea of the ultima matrix, and I have found a few places over here now that can get them. All the runners are 8ft though!

Its taken me a long time to get some decent spins, and I don't want to risk losing them by changing to an 8' rocker from 7'. The other thing is; im doing doubles on quite hard ice so i think the 8' would benefit me there. :frus:

The other blades Im looking at are Phantom Special or Wilson Gold Seal which again is 8ft.

All I really want to know is changing rocker such a big deal? Ive read a few posts on here but they all say different things

Thank you if you have read this far and not got bored!

smelltheice
04-12-2008, 08:47 AM
The only real difference is that the centre of the rocker is a touch further back on the 8" blades than with the 7. You may find at first going backwards or in spins that you will drag your toe a little until you get used to it. they tend to require a little more knee bend to put your weight over the rocker centre. I have pattern 99 k-pick and still drag my toe a little in spins.

phoenix
04-12-2008, 09:12 AM
I have 8' Ultima dance blades, so it's a little different for me. I love them for dance---but I will tell you that my spins, which were crap to begin with, got worse. -Could very well be operator error more than the blades though.

patatty
04-12-2008, 12:36 PM
I switched from Coronation Aces to Gold Seals, and my spins improved immediately. The gold seals felt a little different at first, but adjusted to them very quickly. They felt much more secure, and I felt that I could skate a lot faster in them.

SkatingOnClouds
04-13-2008, 03:32 AM
I am going through this transition now, from my old Phantoms into Matrix Freestyle. My simple upright storks have improved however I have yet to do any other spin successfully. Combined with the Proflex boots, which are so radically different, it is difficult to tell what is boot and what is blade issue.
I am still catching my bottom pick occasionally, and still haven't found my spin sweet spot.

I'm fighting the knee-jerk reaction to order another pair of 7' blades straight away.

cecealias
04-13-2008, 09:15 PM
Just MHO, but changing rocker to me is a big deal. even going from old flattened blades to new ones of the same make it will take me 2-3 weeks or longer to adjust. I prefer Gold Stars, they top of the line but you get to keep the 7" rocker and the spins are EXCELLENT. You'll also get the height you need for doubles after you get accustomed to the blade edges.

Gareth
04-14-2008, 01:39 PM
I've decided to stick with the 7' rocker for now. Im having MK Phantom Special. I'm going to have them fitted friday morning.

I had visions of me catching edges on twizzles and turns etc, that put me off the 8' also no one i spoke to at the rink had a good thing to say about jackson blades

Gareth
04-18-2008, 12:38 PM
I think i made the right decision...Ive just got back from the rink and although I've only skated in the Phantom Specials once...i love them!!

The first thing i thought when i got on the ice was '' wow...they are so fast!!!'' i really wasnt expecting them to be faster than the four aces.

I landed the majority of my doubles, everything just seems so much better and easier with these blades.

The only thing that has got worse is my sit spin, but im sure with work it will come back. To say I'm happy with them is a massive under-statement lol!