View Full Version : Dull Blades - Pros & Cons

dbny
04-11-2008, 10:06 PM
I'm convinced that my recent success with BO threes (and BI threes are coming along at the boards) is due to extremely dull blades. Dull blades are very forgiving on turns. You're much less likely to catch an edge on dull blades. Conversely, it's much harder to hold a good edge on dull blades. I'm thinking that skating on dull blades could be good for one's technique in some ways, and maybe bad in others. Is it a bad thing to have a bit of leeway on those threes and mohawks? I really do not want to get my blades sharpened!

mikawendy
04-11-2008, 10:10 PM
I sometimes like spinning on dull blades--especially backspins--it's easier to keep going and not accidentally catch an edge in the ice during the spin.

I tend to prefer sharper blades for moves in the field--I feel as though more of my energy from the push goes into the motion. Sometimes when I have dull blades, I feel like I have to PUUUUSH really hard to get anywhere. I especially like sharp blades for anything involving deep FO edges.

But I could see how dull blades might help for back threes--every once in a while, I've caught an edge on a BI3 or felt like I was forcing the turn--which is no fun on the skating hip and knee.

icedancer2
04-11-2008, 10:22 PM
Well, I think this is why figure blades are basically flat - not dull exactly, but they have a very shallow ROH - is that the same as dull?

Hmm... wandering off to think about this some more.

:arrow:

Isk8NYC
04-11-2008, 10:22 PM
dbny - does this mean you're going to be getting rid of your ProFiler soon? lol

Well, I think this is why figure blades are basically flat - not dull exactly, but they have a very shallow ROH - is that the same as dull?Hmmm...I hope my figure boots and blades come back from the pro shop soon. I'll let you know after that happens.

kander
04-11-2008, 10:34 PM
I definetly prefer blades on the dull side. I like being able to skid easily. I usually don't get my blades sharpened until they can't hold a decent edge without sliding sideways.

Kevin

FlyAndCrash
04-12-2008, 12:48 AM
I definetly prefer blades on the dull side. I like being able to skid easily. I usually don't get my blades sharpened until they can't hold a decent edge without sliding sideways.

Kevin

I am the exact opposit. I LOVE sharp blades. I find that it makes power moves easier. And the fact that I fell of my edge and into the boards twice in a row once during prelim backwards cross-overs probably doesn't help either.

Also, I feel that my spins have better technique when my blades are sharp because I can feel when I'm on the wrong spot or off center better. And it gives me a more crisp take-off for jumps.

To each his or her own I guess...

ibreakhearts66
04-12-2008, 01:05 AM
I am the exact opposit. I LOVE sharp blades. I find that it makes power moves easier. And the fact that I fell of my edge and into the boards twice in a row once during prelim backwards cross-overs probably doesn't help either.

Also, I feel that my spins have better technique when my blades are sharp because I can feel when I'm on the wrong spot or off center better. And it gives me a more crisp take-off for jumps.

To each his or her own I guess...

i love sharp blades too. i can skate in dull blades, usually do as I never seem to be able to get around to getting them sharpened, but i love the security of a nice, sharp edge. i feel like it makes each of my moves more deliberate.

Sessy
04-12-2008, 02:21 AM
I like sharp blades, in fact sometimes I don't feel the sharpener has made them sharp enough. I used to like my blades duller because they were more forgiving on turns that way, but since then I have discovered how to really push off and propell by just working the edges and ever since, and worked on learning to T-stop sideways/backwards etc on sharp blades, so now I like them sharp. I feel like a slug when they're dull. Also, I get problems on my camel when they're dull.

I do see where you could have more success on the back 3's with dull blades, last year I could only do like... what's it called when you make a forward inside 3, then right after that a backward outside 3, then right after that a forward inside 3 without the free leg touching the ice? Either way, those I could only do on dull blades last year.
But this year it seems like I've got more of a sense of where my edges are and I want to use them, and for that they need to be sharp.

smelltheice
04-12-2008, 07:43 AM
dull blades encourage one to bend more in the knee to get the stronger edge and are good in that respect but they are a nightmare for landing jumps that have any kind of power to them, at least for me anyway but it could be that I'm just not getting down in the knee soon enough at landing:lol:

onlyhappyonice
04-12-2008, 08:07 AM
I began learning my threes on dull blades and when I got my new skates a week ago they were already nice and sharp and my threes were more consitent/neater and I could hold the edge longer.

I don't think using blunt edges on purpose is a good idea as you're more prone to catch the edges when you get them sharpened and you're not used to it.

Bill_S
04-12-2008, 09:37 AM
Count me in the group that prefers sharp blades. I use an aggressive 3/8" ROH, sharpened regularly, and love it.

Kim to the Max
04-12-2008, 09:43 AM
I like mine sharp, but not too sharp...when I was younger, I absolutely loved newly sharpened skates where you couldn't even stop because they were so sharp....now, I get mine sharpened regularly with a hollow that isn't quite as deep (I don't remember where I'm at...I think it's a 1/2 step up from a 7/16")...

But, I actually like my skates best about a week or two after I get them sharpened...just dulled enough to not catch an edge, and not dull enough to slide all over the place. I tend to skate really fast and with a lot of power, so not sliding is a good thing!!

CanAmSk8ter
04-12-2008, 11:02 AM
I've found teaching LTS that the kids in rental skates frequently get the hang of snowplow stops a little quicker than the kids in their own, often new, skates. I think they benefit from not having to push down quite as hard to get the skid with a slightly duller blade.

smelltheice
04-12-2008, 11:06 AM
All the show skaters I have known usually get a shallower grind so that they know they can stop when performing. Some of those newer to shows that had recently left competition that I know had sharp edges and found it harder to stop without catching edges:lol::lol:

Skate@Delaware
04-12-2008, 12:06 PM
All the show skaters I have known usually get a shallower grind so that they know they can stop when performing. Some of those newer to shows that had recently left competition that I know had sharp edges and found it harder to stop without catching edges:lol::lol:
yeah, when I'm ready for a show performance, I let my normally "sharp" 7/16" blades dull down a bit...

But I normally like very sharp blades. At least I no longer cut myself on them (I still keep bandaids in my bag tho-just in case)!;)

dbny
04-12-2008, 02:31 PM
Well, I think this is why figure blades are basically flat - not dull exactly, but they have a very shallow ROH - is that the same as dull?

Figure blades are flatter than hockey blades, but that's the rocker, not the ROH (radius of hollow). The hollow can be deep (3/8") and the blades dull, but I do think that a dull 3/8" may feel a lot like a semi-sharp 1/2" hollow.

dbny - does this mean you're going to be getting rid of your ProFiler soon? lol

Not at all. It means that I'm going to sit with it for half an hour to sharpen my blades and never let another machine touch them.

dull blades encourage one to bend more in the knee to get the stronger edge and are good in that respect but they are a nightmare for landing jumps that have any kind of power to them

Good point. Landing a powerful jump requires a solid edge, and that's harder to hold on duller blades, and also on a shallower hollow.

I like mine sharp, but not too sharp...when I was younger, I absolutely loved newly sharpened skates where you couldn't even stop because they were so sharp....now, I get mine sharpened regularly with a hollow that isn't quite as deep (I don't remember where I'm at...I think it's a 1/2 step up from a 7/16")...

But, I actually like my skates best about a week or two after I get them sharpened...just dulled enough to not catch an edge, and not dull enough to slide all over the place. I tend to skate really fast and with a lot of power, so not sliding is a good thing!!

7/16" is exactly halfway between 1/2" and 3/8". They do say to sharpen your blades no less than 2 weeks before a comp or test.

looplover
04-12-2008, 02:38 PM
FThey do say to sharpen your blades no less than 2 weeks before a comp or test.

This is good to know - I really need my skates sharpened and was afraid to get it done right before my competition last weekend.

Dull blades completely freak me out. I like to feel that edge - but, once my blades were so sharp that I just couldn't stop on the ice at all. I couldn't turn my blade! It was really weird. Loved the edges, though (as long as they were really long ones)

Skate@Delaware
04-12-2008, 02:43 PM
If I know I'm going to compete at a rink that has really hard ice (which is anywhere away from MY rink) I sharpen my skates ONE SKATE SESSION BEFORE I GO...that gives me enough ice time to dull them down just right.

but never just before a show at home rink!!!! 8O...been there, done that, do not want to repeat THAT again, especially since we skate shows without boards!

And I have a pro-filer now...it's my SKATES BEST FRIEND!!!

Isk8NYC
04-12-2008, 03:46 PM
dbny - does this mean you're going to be getting rid of your ProFiler soon? lolNot at all. It means that I'm going to sit with it for half an hour to sharpen my blades and never let another machine touch them.
Rats! I was hoping to "take it off your hands"...I'm pretty sure you have both the 1/2" (which the kids use) and a 3/8" (which I use) insert. lol

For those who know, what's a good source or price for a ProFiler?

Bill_S
04-12-2008, 04:23 PM
Isk8NYC:

I bought my Pro-Filers directly from the manufacturer. Rainbo also sells Pro-Filers, but they charge a few dollars more.

The cost has increased since I bought mine, and Edge Specialties (the maker of the Pro-Filer) now charges $71.95 per kit.

Rainbo page showing a Pro-filer (http://www.rainbosports.com/shop/site/product.cfm/id/4AC589E1-475A-BAC0-5E923FB2FE248D4F)

Pro-Filer manufacturer page (http://www.pro-filer.com/html/figure.htm)

dbny
04-12-2008, 09:24 PM
Rats! I was hoping to "take it off your hands"...I'm pretty sure you have both the 1/2" (which the kids use) and a 3/8" (which I use) insert. lol

For those who know, what's a good source or price for a ProFiler?

Mine is 1/2" and younger DD's is 3/8".

About source & price - what Bill said. I got both of mine from Edge Specialties, who were very nice, but must be quite a small operation, as I didn't get any reply from them for several weeks. It turned out that someone was out (sick or vacation, don't remember), and my order just sat around waiting.

jcookie1982
04-13-2008, 11:23 AM
I LOVE sharp blades when I'm doing edges because it makes it so much easier. It is harder for my to stop right after they are sharpened though.

FlyAndCrash
04-13-2008, 11:53 AM
Stopping is a problem with freshly sharpened skates. About a week ago, a group of four or five girls and a coach went and got their skates sharpened. The next day, they all seemed to be hobbling down the hallway to the ice. My coach has twisting her skates on the rubber to dull them down and most of the girls had balance issues when stepping onto the ice because their blades had so much grip. My coach played up the no stopping thing to a maximum. She skated hands out like a beginner, stayed by the boards most of the time, and had another coach grind down her edges! I feelthat I have a better solution, stop by running into the boards. :lol:

Rusty Blades
04-13-2008, 04:03 PM
Add another voice to the sharp blades fan club!!!

I LOVE my edges and cross-overs and feel crippled when they start getting dull. I sharpened 3 sessions before Nationals and if I had known how hard the ice was going to be, I would have sharpened them the day I left! In competition I couldn't get deep enough into the cross-overs without skidding! :cry:

I have my own sharpener and normally touch up the edges about every 12 skating hours but, since I have given up hope of ever seeing "figure skating ice" and have resigned myself to skating on "hockey ice", I think I might move from 3/8 RoH 5/15".

When I can do FXOs and touch the ice with my finger at the same time, THEN I have enough edge! 8O

patatty
04-13-2008, 04:26 PM
I'm another fan of sharp blades. I would get them sharpened every week or two if I could. I find that sharp blades are so much more forgiving of imperfect jump takeoffs and landings, and spin entrances. When I start to lose my back sit, camel spin and flip jump, I know that it's time for a sharpening. Stopping is way overrated! :)

dbny
04-13-2008, 06:37 PM
Stopping is a problem with freshly sharpened skates. About a week ago, a group of four or five girls and a coach went and got their skates sharpened. The next day, they all seemed to be hobbling down the hallway to the ice. My coach has twisting her skates on the rubber to dull them down and most of the girls had balance issues when stepping onto the ice because their blades had so much grip. My coach played up the no stopping thing to a maximum. She skated hands out like a beginner, stayed by the boards most of the time, and had another coach grind down her edges! I feelthat I have a better solution, stop by running into the boards. :lol:

The T-stop is my better solution. It's the only stop I can do on freshly sharpened blades.

tidesong
04-13-2008, 09:04 PM
Its a hassle trying to find someone to sharpen blades here, so i'm definetly skating alot on dull blades whether I like it or not so I really don't know which I prefer!