View Full Version : Which move do you find yourself the most gifted at doing and why?

FSWer
04-11-2008, 10:05 PM
Ok Skaters!!!! Time to tell me which move you find the most gifted at doing,and why?

kander
04-11-2008, 10:42 PM
1) The sit spin is the only element I can do as well as anybody anywhere anytime. It's one of those odd things

2) Spread eagles are so easy I don't consider them an element. It doesn't take any skill, just the right body.

Clarice
04-11-2008, 11:06 PM
Spread eagles and Ina Bauers for me - "gift" is a good word for it, because I can just do them and didn't have to be taught.

Mrs Redboots
04-12-2008, 08:49 AM
Forward cross-rolls and forward changes-of-edge, although my coach is getting pickier about these last lately... and my insides-to-outside have never been as good as my outsides-to-inside.

Sessy
04-12-2008, 11:26 AM
Biellmann. I'm not going to say I had it from day 1, but I learned a good biellmann spiral before I learned a good outside-edge spiral and now after a little over a total of 12 months on the ice, I can do a spin in that position too. Well, about half the time. In practice. But still!
The reason why I can do this, is because many years back I damaged a vertebrae in my spine, and now I can do some peculiar things with my back. That's only half the reason though, the other half was that I started out skating with the idea that I wanted to learn the biellmann spin, so I've been stretching for it from day 1, and I've also picked the side which would allow me to try spinning in that position fastest.

smelltheice
04-12-2008, 12:21 PM
1) The sit spin is the only element I can do as well as anybody anywhere anytime. It's one of those odd things

2) Spread eagles are so easy I don't consider them an element. It doesn't take any skill, just the right body.

I totally agree with what you said about spread eagles. I have one hip that will open but the other is naturally more restricted so I will never be able to do a spread eagle or a true bauer. I guess my strength is that I have high spirals for a guy and working as a pair

Skate@Delaware
04-12-2008, 01:33 PM
I can land a half-loop but not a real regular loop.....ta-da. there it is.

and I mean the real half-loop where you do a real loop but land on the other foot.....

I can do a change-edge spiral (or used to before me leg got all bum, Arrgghhh!!!)

Bill_S
04-12-2008, 02:36 PM
If this had been asked two or three years ago, I would have said that the toe loop and the Salchow came easily to me. I remember looking down on everyone while I was in the middle of a jump including my very tall former coach. They must have been high.

Now however, I don't jump as much, and I'd have to say that the RFI bracket and the RBO 3-turn are very easy for me. I can do them at any speed.

So my footwork is getting better, but the big elements are slipping away.

jcookie1982
04-12-2008, 03:30 PM
I think so far, the one thing that has been the easiest for me to learn was the toe-loop. I kind of just did it right after my coach demonstrated it for me, and never had any trouble with it.

Isk8NYC
04-12-2008, 03:37 PM
My best moves are sit spins and spirals.

My strong suit is that I can skate really fast with power .

Kim to the Max
04-12-2008, 04:00 PM
My spirals are the one thing that when I do them, people kinda' stop and their jaws drop. One of the junior level skaters (college student who doesn't skate at our rink often), actually told me that my spiral was one of the best she has seen. Coach often says that she wishes she had my extension on that....

icedancer2
04-12-2008, 04:24 PM
I have good edges and really nice flow.

I also have perfected the weight-change and pushoff on the Blues Choctaw.

SynchroSk8r114
04-13-2008, 01:02 PM
For me, it's...

Spirals, especially my LFO and LFI
Ina Bauers
Sit Spins
Forward and back shoot-the-ducks
Anything synchro/footwork related (choctaws, rockers, counters, twizzles, etc.)
Single and double flips

FSWer
04-13-2008, 01:08 PM
For me, it's...

Spirals, especially my LFO and LFI
Ina Bauers
Sit Spins
Forward and back shoot-the-ducks
Anything synchro/footwork related (choctaws, rockers, counters, twizzles, etc.)
Single and double flips

What's a LFO and LFI

Clarice
04-13-2008, 01:26 PM
LFO and LFI refer to the names of edges - in this case, Left Forward Outside and Left Forward Inside. It takes three words to name an edge - Left or Right, Forward or Backward, and Outside or Inside. Suppose I called an edge (or a spiral, since it's done on an edge) RBI. Which edge am I talking about?

SynchroSk8r114
04-13-2008, 04:09 PM
What's a LFO and LFI

It means a spiral--or any move--skated on your left (L) foot going forward (F) on your outside (O) or left forward inside (I) edge. Just skating abbreviation, LOL!

Ellyn
04-14-2008, 02:14 PM
Layback. I can get closer to a good position than I can with camel or sitspin, and it's just fun. Until the exit if I hold it too long/too fast and get too dizzy.

Salchow is also better quality and more fun than most of my other jumps.

Morgail
04-14-2008, 07:02 PM
Scratch spin! I love scratch spins:)
I've gotten compliments on my edges.
I'm also rather proud of my right spiral. It's not astoundingly high, but it's so much better than it used to be.

ibreakhearts66
04-14-2008, 07:23 PM
my split jumps and split falling leafs are nice. i get really high and hit a full split position. they're fun. i love doing them near the glass so i can see how they look.

double loops too. i get a lot of comments on how high and big it is.

for spins i would say camel. i remember seeing it on video and saying "wow, is that what it looks like all the time?" it's nice and fast, but i also have good extension. my leg is little higher than parallel to the ice.

jskater49
04-14-2008, 10:44 PM
I've been told I skate fast for an old woman

flo
04-15-2008, 11:15 AM
Forward inside death spiral.
I've had very talented partners!

Skittl1321
04-15-2008, 11:16 AM
Right back outside spiral is probably the only skating move that comes relatively easy to me.

Rusty Blades
04-15-2008, 02:46 PM
Forward cross-overs, edges, RFO spiral by far.

rlichtefeld
04-15-2008, 02:55 PM
Forward inside death spiral.
I've had very talented partners!

Thanks! At least I hope I am one that falls into that category!

And, you do them quite well.

I guess mine is a sit spin. As I tell the kids at the rink: "Not bad for an old fat guy!"

Rob

jazzpants
04-15-2008, 02:58 PM
Falling on my @$$!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Aside from that, my one foot spins are probably my most solid move. On a normal day, it's fast and centered!!!

doubletoe
04-15-2008, 07:49 PM
Add me to the list of gliders and posers! LOL! Spread eagles, Ina Bauers and spirals have always come fairly easily to me. Sitspins, too.

looplover
04-15-2008, 07:53 PM
I think it's going to end up being footwork - I have a good double three turn. OK, I'm not sure if it's a twizzle or not, to tell you the truth - so either double three turn or twizzle, lol.

I hope I can change this to sit spin but I won't do that until it gets lower! :twisted:

teresa
04-15-2008, 10:44 PM
I guess my talent is that I try hard. I wouldn't say that I have any gifted skill. I wish that I could! I would love to be a skater that just can do something without practice.

teresa

DaisySkate♥
04-21-2008, 11:19 AM
I LOVE My Axel Just Because Its Big A Fun To Do :D

It Used To Be Wild Cos Of The Height But Ive Finally Learnt To Control It Lol

Umm I Like Spirals As Well, And Some Spins Although I Get Dizzy WAY Too Quick. I Had To Swap My Spins Around In My Program Just Because I Couldnt See After The Combo Spin Near The Start Lmao :lol:!!

kayskate
04-22-2008, 12:55 PM
Layback
back camel
loop jump

Kay

Isk8NYC
04-22-2008, 01:17 PM
I LOVE My Axel Just Because Its Big A Fun To Do :D

It Used To Be Wild Cos Of The Height But Ive Finally Learnt To Control It Lol

Umm I Like Spirals As Well, And Some Spins Although I Get Dizzy WAY Too Quick. I Had To Swap My Spins Around In My Program Just Because I Couldnt See After The Combo Spin Near The Start Lmao :lol:!!
FYI: The capitalizing every word makes your posts difficult to read.

What does "Its Big A Fun To Do" mean? (Slang or typo?)

Amandaskategirl
04-22-2008, 01:31 PM
I struggle with a lot, but moves I could do pretty quick which are meant to be hard:

- outside spread eagles
- bauers
- change of edge spirals
- backspins

sk8lady
04-22-2008, 06:26 PM
Hydroblades and shoot the duck...they make even the hockey players and kids jealous of the old postmenopausal lady!!:D

happysk8tes
04-22-2008, 06:52 PM
For some reason unknown to me, I can do a pretty decent 3-turn lunge.

blackmanskating
04-22-2008, 08:28 PM
Falling on my @$$!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Hahahaha!!! JazzPants, I have really missed you!! LOL My favorite move is now my spread eagle into an axel-loop combination. I don't have my spread eagle as nice looking as I would like but I love the fact that I can do it from that crazy position. I had to work very hard on the loop jump on the end of the combination because at first my position would be very open because I had a hard time stopping my rotation from the axel. (That's how I landed my axel double loop for the first time by accident 8O) I just started gaining control of the rotation so I can calm down enough to do a single loop with decent air position. I'm really proud of it.

BlackManSkating

miraclegro
04-22-2008, 08:39 PM
My layback! Something i only dreamed of doing as a child....