View Full Version : Oh cool, skating literature!

Sessy
04-11-2008, 07:04 AM
I got me "the complete book of figure skating" by carole shulman, "conditioning for figure skating" by carl m. poe and "the figure skating book" by debbi wilkes.

the material from the third book is also covered in the first, and the first book is like tremendous lots of information! I do feel it is a bit too little on technique in the spin department, but it's great for like... the difference between rockers and counters and all the other stuff I couldn't figure out! Great stuff!

And conditioning for figure skating has some very neat ideas for off-ice training in it!

It took like 4 weeks to get them delivered from overseas but hey it's worth it. :bow:

Mrs Redboots
04-11-2008, 12:35 PM
The Carl Poe book is excellent; it's been on my Amazon wishlist forever....

Sessy
04-11-2008, 02:27 PM
Yeah I just realised that - at least after the fysio has cleared me to do sports again - I could easily get 12 hours a week of training in the off season months when there is no ice for 6 months with much benefit to my overall skating. And without over-training, what's important. 5 mins warming-up (0.5h) and 30 of stretchig 6 days a week (3h) (, 6 days a week half an hour of dry jumping (3h), 3 days a week stroking for 1 h and doing edges on rollers (3h), an hour of dance and 15 minutes a day on the spinner 6 days a week (1,5h).

Of course the 6 months of no ice mean the whole cyclic training schedules need to be twisted and bent and there's just no way I'm gonna get peak performance around the time I'll need it for competitions (1,5 months after season start) but, well, I could still make the best of it.

It's not terribly expensive btw, only 25 euro or so? My fysiotherapist charges more per hour ;)

Isk8NYC
04-11-2008, 03:27 PM
I actually see Carl Poe on a regular basis, just passing in the halls.
I teach at one of the rinks where he does off-ice and conditioning.
Very nice man.

airyfairy76
04-11-2008, 04:26 PM

Same here - but I managed to move it into my actual basket a few weeks ago!! Haven't had a proper read of it yet, but it certainly looks very good.

GordonSk8erBoi
04-11-2008, 05:31 PM
I have the first two. I also have the Petkevich book, which I like a lot better than the Shulman book.

I have a really old book by Ogilvie (I think it's from the 60s) that I like better than any of them though.

mikawendy
04-11-2008, 09:43 PM
I have the first two. I also have the Petkevich book, which I like a lot better than the Shulman book.

I have a really old book by Ogilvie (I think it's from the 60s) that I like better than any of them though.

I have Ogilvie's Competitive Figure Skating book. It's written mostly for parents, but I love the discussion of figures in it. I met him one time at a local club skating show, and he signed my copy of the book!