View Full Version : What do you think of this dress?

isakswings
04-11-2008, 04:18 AM
My daughter will be in her first competition in June. She will be skating to "Be Our Guest" preformed by the Disney orchestra. Anyway, I have been looking high and low for a yellow dress that would work for this. Her coach and I had some ideas, but to use those, I would either have to make it or have my MIL help me make it. Since I have not found a sewing machine yet AND I am not sure if I can get with my MIL(we see them about once a mo) to make this, I want to buy a dress this time. I am hoping to get a machine in the next few months. THEN I can practice and use some of those great patterns I have seen online.

Anyway... here is the dress I found. I would have to dress it up some by adding crystals and whatever else I can think of that would look nice. I don't think it needs to be TOO flashy since she will be competing at the Basic 6 level(she just passed basic 7 and will be in Basic 8 starting next week). Any thoughts?

http://cgi.ebay.com/NWT-Yellow-Velvet-Mesh-Figure-Skating-Dress-Child-8-10_W0QQitemZ140222024189QQihZ004QQcategoryZ4939QQc mdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

edited to add: dd will be 10 next month.

Mrs Redboots
04-11-2008, 06:13 AM
Looks great. I wouldn't add too many crystals; it will look great as it is. Maybe outline the neck in crystals (where the solid fabric joins the mesh).

isakswings
04-11-2008, 09:16 AM
Looks great. I wouldn't add too many crystals; it will look great as it is. Maybe outline the neck in crystals (where the solid fabric joins the mesh).

That's where I was thinking of adding some. :-) I don't want it too flashy. Now I need to make sure the measurements will work too! :-)

Thanks!

dbny
04-11-2008, 10:10 PM

ITA. It's a beautiful dress. I really don't think it's necessary to go all out on a dress - it's not being judged. As long as it fits the music in terms of color and style, and fits the skater properly, that should be enough.

mikawendy
04-11-2008, 10:13 PM
ITA. It's a beautiful dress. I really don't think it's necessary to go all out on a dress - it's not being judged. As long as it fits the music in terms of color and style, and fits the skater properly, that should be enough.

Plus, if it's left more on the unadorned side, it can be more versatile in the future for other uses.

isakswings
04-12-2008, 05:26 AM

Plus, if it's left more on the unadorned side, it can be more versatile in the future for other uses.

Thanks! I appreciate the feedback. I think we will add a few crystals since dd wants a little glitter. It'll likely be along the neckline. I really like this dress! I need to re-measure her before I order it. Thanks again.

twokidsskatemom
04-12-2008, 01:25 PM
Its a nice dress :}I would add some stones as well!Post a pic if you end up buying it!

hepcat
04-12-2008, 11:33 PM
That yellow is going to look so pretty and bright on the ice - I think you made an awesome choice!

onlyhappyonice
04-13-2008, 04:07 AM
That is a beautiful dress

while our daughter is still in LTS and not anywhere near competition she does want to wear dresses, my partner will only buy her long sleeve dresses because while she's stood around taking instruction she will have a tendancy to get cold.

But she looks at the dresses she would like to be wearing and points them out quite often, for a 6 year old she has a remarkable ability to find what she wants online:??

jcookie1982
04-13-2008, 11:29 AM
I think that dress is perfect for a Beauty and the Beast song.

sk8tmum
04-13-2008, 12:53 PM
I think it's a beautiful dress, and you can't beat the price. My only concern: if your daughter is almost 10: the cut on the bodice could be a bit -adult?- for her if that sweetheart dip goes down low. it it does, then, you could back it with some sparkly lycra to fill in the gap. We had similar problems with our DD: she's tall for her age, and a lot of the dresses with the sweetheart neckline were, well, inappropriate for a young girl.

isakswings
04-13-2008, 06:26 PM
I think it's a beautiful dress, and you can't beat the price. My only concern: if your daughter is almost 10: the cut on the bodice could be a bit -adult?- for her if that sweetheart dip goes down low. it it does, then, you could back it with some sparkly lycra to fill in the gap. We had similar problems with our DD: she's tall for her age, and a lot of the dresses with the sweetheart neckline were, well, inappropriate for a young girl.

I wondered about that as well. She's still flat(lol) but I still wonder how low that will dip! I bought her a swim suit this year with a halter tie on it and I think THAT cuts almost too low. So, we'll see. The price is wonderful! I found another dress I liked, but it has long sleeves. Her coach wants her in short sleeves so we don't attract attention to her arms. I love, love, LOVE this one
http://www.skatingbag.com/product_info.php?cPath=5_7&products_id=1197 but we can't use it. Waaahhh.

Anyway, THANKS. I appreciate it!

isakswings
04-13-2008, 06:31 PM
That is a beautiful dress

while our daughter is still in LTS and not anywhere near competition she does want to wear dresses, my partner will only buy her long sleeve dresses because while she's stood around taking instruction she will have a tendancy to get cold.

But she looks at the dresses she would like to be wearing and points them out quite often, for a 6 year old she has a remarkable ability to find what she wants online:??

My daughter's practice dresses all have long sleeves and I would have bought another long sleeve dress for her, but she isn't always good to keep her arms positioned properly. SO her coach told me her dress has to have short sleeves. Since her routine is a minute long, I'm not too concerned about it. She'll wear a warm up jacket before taking the ice and then again afterwards. :-)

littleprincess
04-17-2008, 08:20 PM
I personally am not a HUGE fan of yellow but its ok.
<3 the style though!!! verry pretty!:P

Skittl1321
04-17-2008, 09:06 PM
I think the dress is adorable, but can you sew? This pattern: http://www.jalie.com/sewingpatterns/patterncovers/2791.html I think would work perfectly for the music.

littleprincess
04-19-2008, 01:09 AM
where do you get the patterns from?

Skittl1321
04-20-2008, 10:30 AM
where do you get the patterns from?

If it's hard to find I order it directly from Jalie- but then shipping is more expensive because they are from Canada.

Sewingpatterns.com usually carries them, and I've used them successfully. Patternreview.com also sells them, and are reliable. Or just google the name of the pattern and lots of shops will come up.

herniated
04-21-2008, 10:44 AM
Love the dress too! I especially like the flutter cap sleeves. At least that's what it looks like. And... the chiffon skirt. If the sweetheart neck is too low how bout try a nude leotard under it?

And for crystals, I agree with everyone with a little goes a long way.

Have fun!!

isakswings
05-05-2008, 04:52 AM
I think the dress is adorable, but can you sew? This pattern: http://www.jalie.com/sewingpatterns/patterncovers/2791.html I think would work perfectly for the music.

No, I can't sew much. I want a machine so I can learn tho! My mil sews and said she'd help me make a dress. I've looked at that pattern. I love it. :-)

Schmeck
05-16-2008, 06:53 AM
The first dress is gorgeous - but the second dress is not put together properly - see how the sleeves don't fit properly - they are wrinkled/twisted, not set in correctly.

Just to let the OP know - yellow does not usually look good on the ice - there's a blue tint added to the ice that clashes with yellow!

isakswings
05-16-2008, 03:23 PM
The first dress is gorgeous - but the second dress is not put together properly - see how the sleeves don't fit properly - they are wrinkled/twisted, not set in correctly.

Just to let the OP know - yellow does not usually look good on the ice - there's a blue tint added to the ice that clashes with yellow!

Thank you for your reply. I hadn't heard that about yellow clashing on the ice. Since she is skating to "Be Our Guest", I feel that yellow would be a good choice to go with her song. I'd love to do a different color, but to be perfectly honest most people associate a yellow dress when they think of Belle. I've been toying with a few ideas and honestly, the only color I can come up with is yellow. I'd love any suggestions!

Skittl1321
05-16-2008, 04:57 PM
I personally like yellow on the ice- a few elite skaters have used it (including one who did a beauty and the beast program).

But when I think of THAT song- I would put her in a blue/white peasant style costume (like the apron she wears in the beginning). Not sure if this is the perfect example, and once again it's a sewing pattern because I don't look at actual dress sites much- but this sort of thing http://www.jalie.com/sewingpatterns/patterncovers/2569.html

BuggieMom
05-16-2008, 08:28 PM
Wow! I have never noticed a blue tint at any rink we have been to! I'm not saying it's NOT blue, just never noticed. I'll have to look closer next time we are out of town. I know our rink has "colorless" ice. If it IS tinted, it is so subtle that I can't notice...and I am a dress designer, and have a degree in fine art, so I pay attention to colors. Actually, blue and yellow are a common combination. Blue and orange are complimentary colors, which means they are across from each other on the color wheel, and they make each other stand out. Yellow is right beside orange on that wheel (unless you add in the tertiary colors, then it is yellow-orange), so it is like a split-complimentary color. Yellow would actually be less jarring on the ice than orange would be, since it is not it's direct compliment. Not that complimentary colors are jarring, it's just that the high contrast can be jarring in large doses. One 10 yr old girl in a big rink wouldn't be jarring! End of art lesson...

Maybe the clashing yellows Schmeck saw had more to do with a clash with the skaters' own coloring. Yellow can be a tough color to pull off for some skin tones, but I don't know enough about that to tell you which ones. I just know it when I see it!

I think the yellow is fine, and honestly, any other color with THAT music would have me thinking..."why'd they pick THAT??" Sometimes, it can be more jarring to have something other than what is normally associated with a particular song. The blue and white idea is good too, that is very "Belle" also

We had a girl at our rink do the vocal "Be Our Guest" as a spotlight/showcase number, and she was in a black and white "maids" outfit, and skated with a tray with glasses on it. I thought that was a really good choice, but maybe not for a freeskate number? Just a thought....

FSWer
05-16-2008, 08:48 PM
I'm no dress expert. But I think it's gourgous!!!!!

isakswings
05-17-2008, 07:17 AM
I personally like yellow on the ice- a few elite skaters have used it (including one who did a beauty and the beast program).

But when I think of THAT song- I would put her in a blue/white peasant style costume (like the apron she wears in the beginning). Not sure if this is the perfect example, and once again it's a sewing pattern because I don't look at actual dress sites much- but this sort of thing http://www.jalie.com/sewingpatterns/patterncovers/2569.html

Thanks. I thought of a peasant style dress also, but I can't find any the right colors. I would love ot make a dress for her, but since I would be very new to sewing, I don't want to attempt a competition dress. LOL! My MIL would help me, but I am not sure I can get together with her enough to make one. Anyway... thank you for the suggestion!

isakswings
05-17-2008, 07:23 AM
I think the yellow is fine, and honestly, any other color with THAT music would have me thinking..."why'd they pick THAT??" Sometimes, it can be more jarring to have something other than what is normally associated with a particular song. The blue and white idea is good too, that is very "Belle" also

We had a girl at our rink do the vocal "Be Our Guest" as a spotlight/showcase number, and she was in a black and white "maids" outfit, and skated with a tray with glasses on it. I thought that was a really good choice, but maybe not for a freeskate number? Just a thought....

This will be a Basic levels number. It's an intrumental version preformed by the Disney orchrestra. Anyway, I LOVE the maid costume idea. That must have looked really cute! I don't think it would work for us, but I think that a maid would have been perfect for that song. I never would have thought of it on my own. :-)

Thanks so much for your feedback!

isakswings
05-17-2008, 07:24 AM
I'm no dress expert. But I think it's gourgous!!!!!

I like it too, but the size of that dress is going ot be too small. I found another I like, but it has long sleeves. Her coach wants this dress to have short sleeves. :-( WAAAAHHH

Schmeck
05-17-2008, 08:06 AM
I'm thinking more of the colors Nancy Kerrigan used to wear, actually, and a pretty nasty yellow dress Sasha Cohen wore. Maybe on ice they looked OK, but on the TV screen it got turned kind of funky?

Lighting at the rink could make the difference too - I've just always noticed that yellow, orange and most greens do not present well on ice, even at our little rink, or at the even larger shows bigger clubs do, even with better lighting. Most skaters wear white, black, red, cooler shades of blue, pink, burgundy, maroon, and dark evergreen.

I'm not saying not to get a pretty yellow dress - this isn't the Olympics! But don't spend a fortune on it, and if your daughter ever uses it with show lighting, make sure they use the proper lighting.