View Full Version : I found a new instructional skating website

sk84ever&ever
04-10-2008, 09:56 PM
I've been trying to find somewhere that shows actual jump technique and I found this new website called www.SkatingJumpSecrets.com. It's a website for parents, coaches and skates. The instructor says that a loop jump is started forward and only has a 1/4 of a turn rotation. He shows some video to prove his point. Could this possible be right?

kayskate
04-11-2008, 05:38 AM
He also has a coaches' quiz web site and a blog.
http://skatecoach.wordpress.com/
http://www.skatingcoachquiz.com/

Kay

twirlz
04-11-2008, 11:08 AM
Cool!

I knew some of this stuff before, but I think I got a few of the survey questions wrong:)

I'm interested to see what other people think? Are you teaching the loop this way?

It's good food for thought

sk84ever&ever
04-21-2008, 08:22 PM
Okay. I've been watching more of his stuff and I like what I see. Any one else? I'm I wrong here?

Clarice
04-22-2008, 08:31 AM
As far as I can tell, the information is fine, but not exactly revolutionary. He's simply describing how a loop is done. It may be a new way of thinking about it for some people, I guess, but it doesn't change anything I've ever been taught.

sk84ever&ever
04-22-2008, 09:48 AM
From how I understand it, he is just correcting what is told to the skaters. A lot are told that the axel is the only jump that you take off forward. And that the loop being called an edge jump misrepresents how you are really leaving your toepick. Also that a loop being a "single" jump has 1 rotation when infact it is only 1/4 of a turn.

The more I watch and read the comments the more I am agreeing. I was one of the unfortunate people to be told a single jump has one rotation and you know what I was silly enough to buy it and repeat that misinformation.

USFSA put out there new training video for Learn to skate and some of the terms they use does not match what the skater has to do.

flippet
04-22-2008, 10:25 AM
Hee! :D He dances, too. Searched YouTube for his name, and found this:

2006 Cat's Corner (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlXZAsJSC9k)

Skittl1321
04-22-2008, 03:09 PM
Are you affiliated with the website, or just really suprised to learn that single jumps aren't a full revolution? I've seen this exact post on several message boards.

Clarice
04-22-2008, 04:15 PM
I still say this is not new information, however a coach words it. My coach has always told me that an axel (or waltz jump) is the only jump with a forward takeoff. Neither of us would dispute that by the time I leave the ice on a loop I'm actually facing forwards, but I'm still moving backwards on the loop takeoff, whereas I'm moving forwards when I take off for a waltz or axel. I don't think anyone would argue or agree that a loop takeoff feels the same as an axel takeoff.

We also call a loop a single rotation jump, although we both know that what actually happens is what is described in the video. Your body does a complete rotation, although not all of that happens in the air.

And a loop IS an edge jump. The toe pick is the last thing to leave the ice for ALL jumps. That has nothing to do with it. Edge jumps are those which do not have a toe assist from the other foot. Are there really coaches who don't understand that? Luckily, I haven't met one yet!

So, while I agree that there is good information on this web site, I still don't think it is NEW information.

ibreakhearts66
04-24-2008, 12:50 AM
I agree with much of what has been said. This is not new information, but it is information many people are not aware of. I really enjoy his skatingcoachquiz site. It is great to test how good I am at noticing problems, but is also helpful in my own skating.

Personally, I was never quite sure if I was doing my double loop right since I was forward when my toepick left the ice. I knew it was a big, pretty jump and that I got lots of compliments on it, but I couldn't help but wonder whether I was totally butchering the technique. It was nice to know that I'm not.

vesperholly
04-24-2008, 04:04 AM
I watched the axel analysis on the quiz site. That's an awful lot of information just to tell the skater that she's overrotating the entrance.

DaisySkate♥
04-24-2008, 11:38 AM
I still say this is not new information, however a coach words it. My coach has always told me that an axel (or waltz jump) is the only jump with a forward takeoff. Neither of us would dispute that by the time I leave the ice on a loop I'm actually facing forwards, but I'm still moving backwards on the loop takeoff, whereas I'm moving forwards when I take off for a waltz or axel. I don't think anyone would argue or agree that a loop takeoff feels the same as an axel takeoff.

Completely Agree With You! For Double Loop My Coach Tells Me To Let The Edge Come Round Before I Jump To Avoid Snatching It And Falling Horribly, So Jumping It Straight From Backwards With No Flow Into The Rotation Wouldn't Work!

Just Had A Look At The Website, It Seems Really Beneficial - I Signed Up :)

flippet
04-24-2008, 12:57 PM
Completely Agree With You! For Double Loop My Coach Tells Me To Let The Edge Come Round Before I Jump To Avoid Snatching It And Falling Horribly, So Jumping It Straight From Backwards With No Flow Into The Rotation Wouldn't Work!

Just Had A Look At The Website, It Seems Really Beneficial - I Signed Up :)

Why Do You Ca Pa Ta Li Ze Ev Er Y Thing?

Seems like a royal PITA to me. :lol:

dbny
04-24-2008, 10:51 PM
Why Do You Ca Pa Ta Li Ze Ev Er Y Thing?

Seems like a royal PITA to me. :lol:

And It's A Royal PITA To Read Too! ;)

twirlz
04-25-2008, 01:01 PM
I agree with much of what has been said. This is not new information, but it is information many people are not aware of.

You're right...I think that's what he said in the video.

winziped
04-26-2008, 09:14 PM
i was seeing and is very great the websites ,in the website posted by sk84ever&ever is great because appear things that i ignored totally and i should know as judge