View Full Version : fed up with hockey skaters taking the piss!

ouijaouija
04-09-2008, 04:05 PM
Today I went in as I usually do once a week. Two hockey skaters kept taing the mick out of me flapping their arms around me and doing idiotic poses,, and usually they stop, but these two idiots would not stop, i think they were trying to impress the girls they were with. I don't know.

I left in the end after 40 minutes, I know I should've stayed, but I can't skate when I'm in a bad mood, whats the point if I'm not going to enjoy it?

It always tends to be the older skaters, that are in their mid 20's or over. The younger skaters are always respectful.

Its really annoying. Since when I started 2 years ago the rink is really busy pretty much all the time times , which is good for the rink, but not good for me. The patch ice I think is open realistically available to 'good skaters' who have lessons. I think I am stuck between two places, I really want to improve.

I think every week I go in there is always one skater who seems to have a problem with me, just because I wear figure skates? They don't have any problems with the female figure skaters?

I'm not even that good so why do they bother?

In variably I don't think telling anyone who works there will help. The hockey guys (they aren't hockey skates, they just have hckey skates, they are not good enough I think!) are always chums with the stewards, I think telling the management would cause more hassle then not

I'm really angry!!

sue123
04-09-2008, 04:25 PM
Those are not the real hockey players, they are just wanna be's. You ask most any hockey player, and they have the utmost respect for figure skaters and the difficulty involved in it. Those guys were simply that, idiots. I would ask them oh so sweetly since they seem to be such experts in figure skating, if they wouldn't mind demonstrating a scratch spin or heck, a waltz jump for me. Let them try, and then laugh when they fall on their bums. Or, if they refuse, question their manhood.

Luckster013
04-09-2008, 05:17 PM
I agree with Sue; they're just wanna-be hockey players trying to show off. They obviously don't know anything about skating or manners, so i would just try to ignore them - they don't know what they're talking about.

dbny
04-09-2008, 09:11 PM
Step 1 - tell the stewards, and ask for their names first.

Step 2 - when the stewards do nothing, go to management, with their names. Be sure to let management know that the clowns are endangering you and other skaters with their out of control antics.

jskater49
04-09-2008, 09:34 PM
Okay there must be some sort of language difference here because what I understood from this thread name seemed quite shocking to me even for hockey players - I mean I know they spit and blow their noses...but ...

slusher
04-09-2008, 11:51 PM
I thought it was a complaint about the hockey guys who can't seem to hit the toilet in the dressing room.

kander
04-10-2008, 12:09 AM
I remember once this kid kept following me around no matter where I went on the ice. I nicely and politely asked him to stop following me. He kept after me so I got mean with him and he knocked it off. Sometimes just being forceful can take care of the problem.

After "Blades of Glory" came out I saw quite a few hockey skaters fluttering their arms down the ice like Jon Heder in his swan number. Personally, I thought it was kind of funny.

Kevin

Sessy
04-10-2008, 01:27 AM
I thought it was a complaint about the hockey guys who can't seem to hit the toilet in the dressing room.

Me too, cuz that sure deserves complaining!!! Our dressing room toilets are also unspeakably gross. :x

onlyhappyonice
04-10-2008, 02:55 AM
UK slang, taking the piss means to make fun of...

Agree with all the above, unfortunately this thing exists where hockey skates are cool and figure skates are gay, where guys are concerned anyway.

Also agree that if they think they are so good, just demonstrate a figure move and ask them to replicate it... you may find all they can do is a spray stop to show off to their friends which is actually totally pointless and serves nothing but turning the rink to snow for everyone else who wants to skate their.

Or you could just do what I would do, skate up to their face and threaten to put them through the ####ing floor ;)

Mrs Redboots
04-10-2008, 10:51 AM
Okay there must be some sort of language difference here because what I understood from this thread name seemed quite shocking to me even for hockey players - I mean I know they spit and blow their noses...but ...

It means taking the mickey. I don't know what you'd say in the USA....

One year at the British Championships they were selling mugs that said "If figure skating were easy, they'd call it hockey!" Worth getting it put on a T-shirt, I think.

Skittl1321
04-10-2008, 10:55 AM
It means taking the mickey.

Problem is we don't use that phrase either! (Though I've read enough books to know both phrases.)

Isk8NYC
04-10-2008, 11:44 AM
It means taking the mickey. I don't know what you'd say in the USA.... I've heard of "taking the mickey" although I don't understand the reference. I've never heard of the phrase in the thread title, I also thought someone had derelects in their ice rink, lol.

I guess the equivalent would be "picking on someone" or "bullying someone."

Skittl1321
04-10-2008, 11:48 AM
I've never heard of the phrase in the thread title, I also thought someone had derelects in their ice rink, lol.

Do you remember the 90s song Tubthumper by Chumbawamba? There was a line in it that said "pissing the night away"- which I suppose meant they were drunk and being stupid. At the time I really didn't know much about british english at all, and figured out the drunk part, but just figured they had so much to drink they really had to GO!

Morgail
04-10-2008, 12:01 PM
I thank the Harry Potter series for teaching me so much British slang;)

ouija - Are there ever any other adult (or even older teenage) figure skaters on the sessions you go to? If so, befriend them and when the wannabe hockeyers start bugging you, go join your group of friends. It helps to have people behind you. They might back off some when they see you've got "people", so to speak, even if they're all girls.

ETA: You might want to try (if you haven't already) talking to your coach or the figure skating director. Explain the situation to them & tell them that you really want to practice but can't with people bothering you all the time. They might be able to find a freestyle session that might be appropriate for your level, or one that's sparsely attended, or one that's mostly adults. A male coach might be especially sympathetic to your situation.

Ice Dancer
04-11-2008, 11:01 AM
The patch ice I think is open realistically available to 'good skaters' who have lessons. I think I am stuck between two places, I really want to improve.

Seriously look into patch. I was in a similar position a year ago where I wanted to skate more but couldn't due to work and I started going to patch and it was fine. Yes there are skaters on with programmes, but so long as you abide by patch rules you will have no problems. And standing still or moving out of someones way for a few seconds while they skate past is ten times better than putting up with idiots like that!

ouijaouija
04-12-2008, 04:46 PM
im probably the only person i know who has figure skates and skates in public sessions, but there are a lot of new people who are starting out these days, usually girls. no males!

maybe this is my excuse to chat up some of the ladies...8-)

Isk8NYC
04-12-2008, 05:01 PM
Do you remember the 90s song Tubthumper by Chumbawamba? There was a line in it that said "pissing the night away"- which I suppose meant they were drunk and being stupid. At the time I really didn't know much about british english at all, and figured out the drunk part, but just figured they had so much to drink they really had to GO!
Ohhhh...that's a pretty common phrase in NYC. You would say someone "pissed their money away" if they spent it foolishly or "pissed away the time" by wasting it doing nothing of value.

I think FAST and WASTEFUL are the key words to think of there; that's why the title confused me, too.

I also thank JKRowling for teaching me words like "snogging," "git," and "wicked." "Twit" I learned from Monty Python, and "taking the mick" from this forum.

Always nice to learn about new cultures, lol.

ibreakhearts66
04-12-2008, 09:09 PM
im probably the only person i know who has figure skates and skates in public sessions, but there are a lot of new people who are starting out these days, usually girls. no males!

maybe this is my excuse to chat up some of the ladies...8-)

great excuse. and a way to get them to shut up...don't see them hanging out with hot girls in short skirts, do you?

onlyhappyonice
04-13-2008, 04:04 AM
Ohhhh...that's a pretty common phrase in NYC. You would say someone "pissed their money away" if they spent it foolishly or "pissed away the time" by wasting it doing nothing of value.

I think FAST and WASTEFUL are the key words to think of there; that's why the title confused me, too.

I also thank JKRowling for teaching me words like "snogging," "git," and "wicked." "Twit" I learned from Monty Python, and "taking the mick" from this forum.

Always nice to learn about new cultures, lol.

For the past 6/7 years I've had the odd conversation with a lady from california maybe once a week, and we always seem to spend about 10 minutes explaining our local slang etc to each other... it's always an eye opener, even if I do think that some of the slang is very far removed from the actual meaning. :lol:

Derek
04-13-2008, 10:09 AM
im probably the only person i know who has figure skates and skates in public sessions, but there are a lot of new people who are starting out these days

You are not alone, as for myself, I just accept the hazards of public skaters. As for the irritant population, I just demonstrate that I can skate better than they can, they soon clear off ... except for one or two genuinely curious, who I am happy to have hang around ...

smelltheice
04-13-2008, 10:41 AM
I'm not sure if it is because I just don't notice them anymore or if they are better behaved than most but I rarely find that the kids in hockey skates make fun of me at all. There may be the odd one every now and then but it's rare. I think it helps that the rink is pretty strict with any misbehaviour so it rarely gets out of hand thankfully.

And I have to agree with Sue on her comment that genuine hockey players have alot of respect for figure skaters. I was having a chat with a hockey coach last week and he had enormous respect for how much power figure skaters can muster and maintain it around the corners.