View Full Version : People that stand around and talk on the ice

onlyhappyonice
04-09-2008, 02:23 AM
Does this bug anyone else?

When you are trying to practice something such as your backwards crossovers or another move and in your way are a bunch of people all stood together on the ice.... chattering away, when there are benches all around the rink for people who don't want to skate.

kimberley801
04-09-2008, 03:03 AM
This happens a lot on public sessions. Even the cones are put out, there are always groups of people who want to stand right in the middle, right where the figure skaters have been practicing for the entire session. I skate very close to them and practice my one foot spins. I've even dared some of the other much better skaters to do camel spins. It doesn't take long for the crowd to get the message. :twisted:

onlyhappyonice
04-09-2008, 05:01 AM
This happens a lot on public sessions. Even the cones are put out, there are always groups of people who want to stand right in the middle, right where the figure skaters have been practicing for the entire session. I skate very close to them and practice my one foot spins. I've even dared some of the other much better skaters to do camel spins. It doesn't take long for the crowd to get the message. :twisted:

I was actually talking about a lesson here, we get practice time after the lesson to work on the elements and most of the people just use the time ON the ice to talk... it's annoying

but I sooo get what you mean about the public sessions, not long back we went to a larger rink, and there must have been easily 75 people stood in the middle just talking, they looked like they were waiting for something and were soooo in the way, I could have used that space to practice. I mentioned it to the rinky and his reply was they do move them on but they just gather again.

What is the point when there are so many facilities for people to sit down and chat.

Skittl1321
04-09-2008, 07:30 AM
I don't mind the people standing as much as those skating so erratically you can't tell where they are going. It's easy to avoid people who are still!

My least favorite is the ones who seem to be attracted to spins like a bug going for a bug zapper. It's usually little kids who seem to really want their head chopped off!

sk8_4fun
04-09-2008, 09:43 AM
My least favorite is the ones who seem to be attracted to spins like a bug going for a bug zapper. It's usually little kids who seem to really want their head chopped off!

That is so true! lol!

Sessy
04-09-2008, 11:55 AM
Does this bug anyone else?

Yeah, my coach. Well the thing I notice is, I get chatty when I'm out of air (like when I just had the flu) and need a rest, but I can't get off the ice for the rest (like during lessons). So I've been guilty of it too, a few times, always with another girl who also seems to get chatty when a training isn't going well for her, but we always talked right by the boardings... But generally, I agree. People standing - or worse, sitting! - on the ice in the middle of the rink is really dangerous to everybody else, plus they take up ice. Get moving or get off.

One of the girls in my group class used to lay down stretched out on the ice all over the ice, claiming she was hot... Somebody did a waltz-jump over her one time, she stopped doing it since...

Another thing that really bugs me is when a person is having an on-ice ballet lesson and it standing by the boardings listening to the instructions and like ten other people stand around and eavesdrop, and because they don't dare to stand right by the boardings, they stand all the way out on the ice. This happens during club ice in lesson! I'm sorry but if you're doing perimeter backwards cross-rolls, or backwards spirals by the coaches' order with a group, you do not expect people to be standing 15 feet from the boardings. And the majority of the skating kids have their neck and/or head exactly at my free-leg height in spirals so that's great fun.

Also, what's up with coaches who like to stand in the middle of a lutz corner when they've told a group to practice lutzes?!

kayskate
04-09-2008, 03:09 PM
I did it today. Session was a bunch of kids w a ridiculous amount of traffic cones b/w them. It was not a productive public. A friend and I stood around talking. Don't think it bothered anyone. We were the only 2 ppl there who were doing more than stumbling around anyway.

Kay

smelltheice
04-09-2008, 04:06 PM

My partner and I do usually have to stop and talk during training but really to analyse what we have just done, any corrections we need to make and where to go next but I can say with complete certainty....NOTHING clears the ice like a one ankle spin in the middle of the ice. ( I should make the point that we never did it on public sessions, it was on patch):lol::lol:

ouijaouija
04-09-2008, 04:10 PM
definately... I know I use public sessions, but the people with no etiquette are usually the ones who should know better. Two mum and their kids who seemed to have had lessons, hogging the centre, fair enough, but they spent half the time talking, and when I tried practising they would not budge at all. They would even stand on the tracing of the circle, not even in the middle so when I did crossovers I would have to move out of their way

Get a hint!

NickiT
04-09-2008, 04:10 PM
Anyone who is caught chatting on our patches is shouted at and asked to stop or else get off!

Nicki

blackmanskating
04-09-2008, 04:12 PM
Yeah, my coach. Well the thing I notice is, I get chatty when I'm out of air (like when I just had the flu) and need a rest, but I can't get off the ice for the rest (like during lessons). So I've been guilty of it too, a few times, always with another girl who also seems to get chatty when a training isn't going well for her, but we always talked right by the boardings... But generally, I agree. People standing - or worse, sitting! - on the ice in the middle of the rink is really dangerous to everybody else, plus they take up ice. Get moving or get off.

One of the girls in my group class used to lay down stretched out on the ice all over the ice, claiming she was hot... Somebody did a waltz-jump over her one time, she stopped doing it since...

Another thing that really bugs me is when a person is having an on-ice ballet lesson and it standing by the boardings listening to the instructions and like ten other people stand around and eavesdrop, and because they don't dare to stand right by the boardings, they stand all the way out on the ice. This happens during club ice in lesson! I'm sorry but if you're doing perimeter backwards cross-rolls, or backwards spirals by the coaches' order with a group, you do not expect people to be standing 15 feet from the boardings. And the majority of the skating kids have their neck and/or head exactly at my free-leg height in spirals so that's great fun.

Also, what's up with coaches who like to stand in the middle of a lutz corner when they've told a group to practice lutzes?!

I totally understand what you all mean. Stuff like that really drives me crazy, especially when I'm frustrated while trying to learn a new element. And that's something that happens pretty often. Practicing in the morning seems to solve the problem. There aren't many skaters out on the ice and we all have an understanding and a respect for one another so there aren't any problems at all. I may lose sleep but I get so much more out of that expensive ice time and lessons.

BlackManSkating

Luckster013
04-09-2008, 04:42 PM
Anyone who is caught chatting on our patches is shouted at and asked to stop or else get off!

Nicki

Thats the way it is at my rink. Most people have learned their lesson and don't talk, but there's always a few who do and they really get yelled at. Even standing by the boards for to long to get a drink can get you in trouble.

dbny
04-09-2008, 09:13 PM
Time for a loud but polite "Excuse me - skating a pattern!"

fsk8r
04-10-2008, 01:24 AM
Time for a loud but polite "Excuse me - skating a pattern!"

Or, as one kid did as he was in program and I was analysing a spin with a friend, shout MOVE! I sure as hell moved then. I just wish I could remember to shout it when doing my program or patterns. I generally just apologise as I have to avoid someone even if they're the ones standing about talking. But given that these people are generally the same oblivious ones who just pootle around the rink as if there is no one else there, I don't think they ever get the hint.

SkatingOnClouds
04-10-2008, 04:12 AM
Sometimes this drives me nuts on an evening freeskating session. We get usually 3 teenagers, one doing a spin or something while the other two watch. Then all 3 will talk for a while, then one will launch out of the huddle into a spin, usually backwards and without looking. The huddle is always right on the jump approach curves too. I do ask them to move, and they do, but it isn't long before the huddle is reconvened. :evil:

onlyhappyonice
04-10-2008, 05:24 AM
It's hardly rocket science is it, if you aren't skating... GET OFF THE BLOODY ICE :twisted:

celticprincess
04-11-2008, 03:17 PM
I admit that I somewhat of a culprit for chatting on the ice too. However, I make sure to skate around the permeter or stand at the boards...mostly during a water break. I get really annoyed during public sessions when the little kids who obviously could somewhat skate, speed around with those little metal bar things and play bowling for figure skaters. I know a guy that tripped over one of those things before. Or when the 'big macho hockey' players decide to show off by going as fast as they could down the ice just to snow stop. Plus it makes the ice all bumpy when they do that. Although it is rather funny watching them attempt spirals..hehe

Isk8NYC
04-11-2008, 03:28 PM
I admit that I somewhat of a culprit for chatting on the ice too. Guilty, but no one likes to talk to me because I'm forever looking around to stay out of people's way. It's very distracting.

dbny
04-11-2008, 10:03 PM
Guilty, but no one likes to talk to me because I'm forever looking around to stay out of people's way. It's very distracting.

Me too! There's nothing wrong with standing around talking a bit, as long as you're aware and ready to move as needed.

Mrs Redboots
04-12-2008, 08:48 AM
Me too! There's nothing wrong with standing around talking a bit, as long as you're aware and ready to move as needed.
Me three, but I try to stay at the side or at least to be stroking around the rink while I'm chatting, NOT standing in the middle of the rink just where you're likely to be bowled over by dancers doing a mid-line step-sequence, unlike certain people I know.... although, to be fair, they do move when we're doing our step sequence! Usually just in the direction we had decided to aim for to go round them.

sexyskates
04-14-2008, 08:01 AM
These people are oblivious. If I really need to practice something where they are standing, I just ask them politely if they would mind moving out of the way a bit so I can do my pattern. This always works well, and no one is insulted. I only try to do patterns of stuff on fairly empty sessions. If it's a really crowded public session, then you have to expect alot of socializing on the ice.