View Full Version : skating and allergies

teresa
04-08-2008, 09:29 PM
I always get allergies at this time of year. This year does seem worse for some reason. I missed skating twice last week due to this and really should have stayed home today. I had a lesson so I tried. I sorta felt like I was skating with a hangover. The ice was "moving" and I know darn well it wasn't! Not a great feeling to say the least. What do you guys do/take when your in this situation? Some days are worse than others but I can't skate and feel like this for weeks ahead. Skating friends said I was green when I got off the ice. =-0 I'm open to your ideas. help

teresa

Sessy
04-09-2008, 01:58 AM
Try flushing out your sinuses with a salt-solution and one of those teapot-like things? I didn't have allergies but I did have a cold for like three winter months in a row and it was getting me very dizzy until I started flushing out.

It's ridiculously easy, much easier than putting in contacts. All you do is breathe through your mouth and if you use lukewarm water, you don't even really feel much of it. Well apart from suddenly being able to breathe afterwards. I did have to keep at it for like two weeks before my dizzyness was solved though.

onlyhappyonice
04-09-2008, 02:31 AM
Good advice there, you can make your own saline solution using tap water, table salt and a pinch of baking soda

Mrs Redboots
04-09-2008, 06:52 AM
I am getting dizzy rather a lot atm as I have a bunged-up right ear. It is gradually clearing, though. Luckily I am seldom bothered with hay-fever in town, but have to stock up on the Beconase when I go to the country at this time of year! Although, oddly, not in the Alps when we go to the Mountain Cup - whatever it is that I'm allergic to doesn't seem to grow there!

onlyhappyonice
04-09-2008, 07:21 AM
Although, oddly, not in the Alps when we go to the Mountain Cup - whatever it is that I'm allergic to doesn't seem to grow there!

You're allergic to English people then :)

techskater
04-09-2008, 09:29 AM
If you are looking for a natural cure for your allergies, either PM me or PM KRISTIN.

smelltheice
04-09-2008, 12:38 PM
I always get allergies at this time of year. This year does seem worse for some reason. I missed skating twice last week due to this and really should have stayed home today. I had a lesson so I tried. I sorta felt like I was skating with a hangover. The ice was "moving" and I know darn well it wasn't! Not a great feeling to say the least. What do you guys do/take when your in this situation? Some days are worse than others but I can't skate and feel like this for weeks ahead. Skating friends said I was green when I got off the ice. =-0 I'm open to your ideas. help

teresa

I have had year round food allergies for the last 19 years ever since I had an accident on holiday as a 14 year old. I have tried several different medications over the years (Triludan ((Banned)) , Clarityn (became tolerant to it) but now I am on a drug called Fexofenadine that is only available on prescription in the UK. It has taken me 17 years to isolate what I am allergic to and in the last couple of years, a definite pattern emerged. I am allergic to build ups of sugar and artificial sweetners but I am not diabteic and that is clinically proven. But the drug really works for me. I don't get the disorientation you described but more hives and have had my feet swell to the point where I couldn't stand up or put socks on!!! but that was a long time ago. My body is much more tolerant now but it is all about the accident disrupting the controlled production of histamine.

teresa
04-09-2008, 06:46 PM
Thanks for the ideas. It's not unusual for me to get allergies at this time of year but I've really been struggling this year. I get all the normal allergy symptoms but I also get a very upset gut and super bad sinus pressure. I'll try the sinus pot. Two weeks? Do you feel relief sooner? Please say yes.

teresa

Sessy
04-10-2008, 01:25 AM
relief after like the second-third time I used it, but two weeks before I wasn't getting dizzy on spins anymore.

Mrs Redboots
04-10-2008, 10:48 AM
You're allergic to English people then :)
Plenty of them at the Mountain Cup - we're normally the 2nd or 3rd-largest team.