View Full Version : AN '08 News, stories, anecdotes, RESULT page!!!

Pages : 1 [2]

Figureskates
04-18-2008, 12:52 PM
To be an adult male figure skater and a Meteorologist, you must have one #ell of a sense of humor. :lol:

Zoomana
04-18-2008, 02:50 PM
Sorry if this has been brought up elsewhere, but I don't get on the computer much. A bunch of people I know competed at adult nationals. Yesterday I watched some of it at work on Ice Network and "fast forward" (i.e., skip through skaters I didn't know to those I do). Watching it at home this isn't possible. Is it my home computer, or did they change something? Thanks.

dbny
04-18-2008, 03:53 PM
Sorry if this has been brought up elsewhere, but I don't get on the computer much. A bunch of people I know competed at adult nationals. Yesterday I watched some of it at work on Ice Network and "fast forward" (i.e., skip through skaters I didn't know to those I do). Watching it at home this isn't possible. Is it my home computer, or did they change something? Thanks.

I don't think they've changed anything. IceNetwork has a ton of tech glitches. I've had lots of problems with certain performances and have spent quite a bit of time on the phone with their tech support to no avail. Sometimes I can skip ahead, and other times not. There are two performances that I now cannot watch past about 6 minutes no matter what I do, although I was able to view the entire performances just fine the first several times. Their tech support is not worth wasting your time on.

vesperholly
04-18-2008, 04:26 PM
Did anyone else here order photos and be told an ETA? They had to ship mine (I ordered Wednesday and they weren't printing on-site until Friday) and I'm dying to get them.

daisies
04-18-2008, 05:10 PM
What happens at Roomers...stays at Roomers!!!! ;)
That's what you think! hahaha .... :twisted:

jazzpants
04-18-2008, 08:36 PM
I'm having trouble too with the video. Seems the sound and the video don't match. I was watching my event and the music started way before I even got to my starting position. Seems to be that way with the previous skater too so I know it's not me and my crappy skating... Don't know what's going on there but I hope they fix it on Ice Network. :??

(Lucky for me, I bought the video, so I'll upload to YouTube, myspace, etc... when I get around to converting DVD format to something I can upload to YouTube, Myspace, etc.)

dbny
04-18-2008, 08:40 PM
I'm having trouble too with the video. Seems the sound and the video don't match. I was watching my event and the music started way before I even got to my starting position. Seems to be that way with the previous skater too so I know it's not me and my crappy skating... Don't know what's going on there but I hope they fix it on Ice Network. :??

(Lucky for me, I bought the video, so I'll upload to YouTube, myspace, etc... when I get around to converting DVD format to something I can upload to YouTube, Myspace, etc.)

Ah! I wondered why you and at least one other skater didn't ask for the music to be restarted. It was much worse for the other skater it happened with and I was really befuddled by it.

jazzpants
04-18-2008, 08:41 PM
What happens at Roomers...stays at Roomers!!!! ;)
Watta great week.... SOOO good to see everyone!!! Skaternum, we miss you! Jazzpants, does Matt want his horn back?!
P.S. Skiing was kewel on Whiteface Sunday! Hope everyone had a safe trip back home.
Big hugs,
BeccaCRAP!!! And I've only heard only one juicy item that happened at Roomers and it was at the PRE-competition party too! :twisted:

BTW: If you seen Mike the bouncer (don't remember if that's his name... big guy, some blond, some gray/white... he says he usually works in masonry, local to the area...) really nice guy and MAN, another HOTTIE too!!! :yum: Contemplated for 2 seconds running off with him, but I was a good girl and went home alone! :halo:

As for the horn: Might as well return it to him. Or...you could ask him if you could keep it, since you had so much fun with it. LOL!!!

I'm looking forward to meeting skaternum when she's back on the competitive track!!! :mrgreen: (And Beccapoo, if I knew you were down there, I would have came down to say hello to 'ya!!! Next AN???)

jazzpants
04-18-2008, 09:29 PM
Yikes.....Someone was taking pictures at Roomers? I am very glad I was a good little boy:??:lol::lol:Too bad I wasn't there. I may have made you a BAD little boy!!! ;) :twisted: :lol:

RachelSk8er
04-19-2008, 11:07 AM

I noticed the Bronze I video was like that, too, at least for the first warmup group. The first girl's music started as she was skating to her place to take her position, so the whole thing from there on was off. I ended up watching with the volume off because it was so annoying. At least for my skate, I was able to listen to my music on my iPod.

Figureskates
04-19-2008, 12:16 PM
Sounds like the video and sound tracks are out of sync...

flying~camel
04-19-2008, 02:11 PM
I also noticed that the video seemed a little smooshed. I mean, I know I need to lose more weight, but c'mon, I'm not really THAT fat! 8O

AdultPairSkater
04-19-2008, 03:53 PM
I also noticed that the video seemed a little smooshed. I mean, I know I need to lose more weight, but c'mon, I'm not really THAT fat! 8O

Correct! Video alters our lines and the colors of our costumes. It adds a gazillion pounds to how we look.

And WHY didn't you guys tell me that I looked so ill? I mean I look like H*LL...like death on a cracker.

When I saw the vid I gasped. "Please," I thought, "someone give that boy some milk and a hamburger, he's positively gaunt."

I did have the ailment going around and wasn't feeling well, but I had NO idea it showed so readily. I won't be able to watch this vid more than few times!

Yikes!!! (shudders)

Cheers!
Larry

climbsk8
04-19-2008, 04:26 PM
Yeah, I've been nagging tech support for Ice Network all week and they FINALLY put my group's video back online. It was there, then it was gone ... and then our entire results page was gone (Adult Ladies III QR Group B.)

When I asked tech support about it, their response was "Which web site are you talking about?" Remember, these are baseball heads, not skaters.

At least it's back online now. Whew. Now I can watch my I'm-so-scared-I'm-gonna-pee-myself free program. :frus:

RachelSk8er
04-20-2008, 06:40 PM

Seriously!!! All I could think when I watched that was where the heck the 8 lbs I had lost between synchro nationals and ANs came off from, because it sure didn't look it from that video!

Photographers were BAD too. I was hoping to buy some good shots but all but 1 from both programs were awful. Either cropped funny, awful camera angle, bad timing (going into/coming out of a spin position), etc. The 1 decent one of me wasn't so spectacular that I was going to shell out how much they were charging, either.

flying~camel
04-20-2008, 07:28 PM
Photographers were BAD too. I was hoping to buy some good shots but all but 1 from both programs were awful. Either cropped funny, awful camera angle, bad timing (going into/coming out of a spin position), etc. The 1 decent one of me wasn't so spectacular that I was going to shell out how much they were charging, either.

I bought 1 good shot of my layback spin and our podium picture from freestyle and that's it. There was 1 good spiral picture from my interp, but I didn't really like any of the others and didn't want to just pick another so I could get the 2 5x7s. :??

jazzpants
04-20-2008, 08:27 PM
Photographers were BAD too. I was hoping to buy some good shots but all but 1 from both programs were awful. Either cropped funny, awful camera angle, bad timing (going into/coming out of a spin position), etc. The 1 decent one of me wasn't so spectacular that I was going to shell out how much they were charging, either.Yeah, agreed. I wasn't gonna shell out $125 for crappy action shots. I opted to take frames that I did like from Ice Network instead. Besides, nothing says that you've made it in the skating world QUITE like being on Ice Network. ;)

flo
04-20-2008, 09:04 PM
Interesting - also thought the photos were pretty poor. Is the icenetwork videos of different quality than the dvds? Are they from the same source?

vesperholly
04-20-2008, 11:18 PM
I thought the photos they took of my freestyle were pretty good, actually. Compared to the photos at Easterns, which were TERRIBLE (who shoots figure skating in landscape? Honestly). But they were definitely overpriced. I wanted to buy the CD, but changed my mind in a hurry when I saw the cost. I wasn't happy that the photographer has no website to view the photos afterward, either. I freelance for a photograph company that shoots a lot of skating competitions (including Regionals this past fall), so I have some experience with how these things are run, and it wasn't a favorable comparison.

I'm still waiting for my photos, too - not very good service for the money I paid. :roll:

Interesting - also thought the photos were pretty poor. Is the icenetwork videos of different quality than the dvds? Are they from the same source?
When I was talking with the (very friendly) video guys, they said that IceNetwork was getting the videos from them.

mr7740
04-21-2008, 12:46 AM
I thought the photos they took of my freestyle were pretty good, actually. Compared to the photos at Easterns, which were TERRIBLE (who shoots figure skating in landscape? Honestly). But they were definitely overpriced. I wanted to buy the CD, but changed my mind in a hurry when I saw the cost. I wasn't happy that the photographer has no website to view the photos afterward, either.

Yes, I was very disappointed with the price. The cd was more than double the vendor from the year before. I hope in the future they are able to bring in more reasonably priced vendors. The video was also considerably more than last year...especially if you bought the whole flight (which I did not). I did end up buying the cd...I split it with my mom only because some of the shots were the best pictures of my skating that I have ever seen. There were 5-6 perfect shots alone of an Ina Bauer I did...and I have since taken the cd and printed out several for family. Still...if I had not had parental help I wouldn't have been able to afford anything...:frus:

RachelSk8er
04-21-2008, 09:50 AM
The same company did DVDs for synchro nationals, and those were actually cheaper. Kind of odd. It's a lot easier for a bunch of people on the same team or people with friends on different teams in the same division to get together, split the cost of one DVD, and make copies. Not quite as easy with singles events. Maybe they were able to sell them cheaper because (despite today's technology) with that many more skaters at that competition, they were albe to sell more?

We had one competition this year (the synchro comp in Ann Arbor) where the DVDs for the entire flight were only $22. I don't think they even gave the option to buy your own performance for less. They were burning and giving them out on the spot (in plain cases, nothing fancy, no fancy label on the CD either). That company had the right idea because it seemed like EVVVVVVVVVVVERYBODY went ahead and bought one for that price, the line to buy them was crazy. I wish more of these companies would take the hint. If you're charging $60-80 for a DVD someone can watch as many times as they want while they're up for their $30 Ice Network subscription, out of a group of 12 skaters maybe 2-3 would buy it. Drop the price to $20-30, I'm sure they'd sell 8-10 (or more) and make a lot more money. Blank DVDs cost what, a dollar? Less if you buy them in the quantities they do. Simple economics.

flying~camel
04-21-2008, 10:45 AM
My club is including a DVD of your event with the cost of entry for our competition this year (Grand Rapids Open). It costs a little more to enter, but still less than paying the entry fee and then paying for the DVD separately.

sk8er1964
04-21-2008, 10:58 AM
I believe Ann Arbor is doing that for their Springtime comp too. Makes sense - the vendor gets guaranteed business, so I assume the cost per dvd goes down.

RachelSk8er
04-21-2008, 04:14 PM
My club is including a DVD of your event with the cost of entry for our competition this year (Grand Rapids Open). It costs a little more to enter, but still less than paying the entry fee and then paying for the DVD separately.

Sweet, so I can see exactly how miserably I do my first time competing silver. :lol: Actually, that will be helpful. And it explains why the cost per event seemed a little high.

BatikatII
04-21-2008, 05:00 PM
The same company did DVDs for synchro nationals, and those were actually cheaper. Kind of odd. It's a lot easier for a bunch of people on the same team or people with friends on different teams in the same division to get together, split the cost of one DVD, and make copies. Not quite as easy with singles events. Maybe they were able to sell them cheaper because (despite today's technology) with that many more skaters at that competition, they were albe to sell more?

We had one competition this year (the synchro comp in Ann Arbor) where the DVDs for the entire flight were only $22. I don't think they even gave the option to buy your own performance for less. They were burning and giving them out on the spot (in plain cases, nothing fancy, no fancy label on the CD either). That company had the right idea because it seemed like EVVVVVVVVVVVERYBODY went ahead and bought one for that price, the line to buy them was crazy. I wish more of these companies would take the hint. If you're charging $60-80 for a DVD someone can watch as many times as they want while they're up for their $30 Ice Network subscription, out of a group of 12 skaters maybe 2-3 would buy it. Drop the price to $20-30, I'm sure they'd sell 8-10 (or more) and make a lot more money. Blank DVDs cost what, a dollar? Less if you buy them in the quantities they do. Simple economics.

Hi
I was interested in your post as I have just started doing video for ice skating comps. Mine are very inexpensive (£10 or about $20) but I don't burn direct to disc - I edit and make them nice on a printable DVD with the name of the competitions and skaters etc and a fancy case, but I am wondering if maybe it would be worth investing in a direct to DVD setup. The editing takes considerable time but maybe it's not worth my while if people are happy to buy directly burned ones.
I dont think you could operate it with just one person though - did they have a few people doing it?

If the soundtrack was out of synch that's bad editing. I always check and recheck mine and put in chapter points to each skater and add a name too.

I've had a lot of praise for their quality but sadly someone at my club seems to have it in for me as at our own opens they are trying to prevent me offering the service to any skater other than those who belong to our club. I have tried to point out this will cause problems when other skaters see our skaters getting great and cheap DVD's and they are not allowed them but I am getting nowhere. In fact I have now fallen out with the vice-chair who used to be a friend, over this.

It's actually easier and quicker to do duplicate copies for a whole flight of skaters than it is to burn individual copies and that's why if anything it should be more expensive to have a single performance than a whole flight.

It's not good form to buy a single copy and duplicate yourself for a team if the material is copyright and someone's livelihood - though I can understand that if it is very expensive that it is tempting.

lovepairs
04-21-2008, 05:22 PM
So many other things happened not worth going into fully here that show the LOC of this competition did many things without foresight. Denny Allen even remarked to me, and he was in charge of practices, that he "forgot about the pairs," and "didn't think we needed practice ice." They simply tacked on the practices at the end of the day without realizing we were to be preparing/competing 9 hours later in the early morning, official warm-ups begining at 7 am. What's more, they even forgot to schedule Championship Pairs on the tentative schedule initially. This "forgetting" is indefensible. Period. "Forgetting" to schedule a Championship event and "forgetting" pairs need quality practice ice and reasonable times as singles skaters do is a major snafu and FUBAR.

The Bensenville LOC didn't make these errors, why did it happen this year? Because they did not do as vigilant and quality a job as you did last year! Oh, and the ice was certifiable crap. Oh, and by the way, the ice was certifiable crap that evening.

Do you understand more now? Is it all clear? Any comparison to singles skaters or singles skating experience is a non-sequeter, as this is an entirely different discipline. NoVa's comments and my agreement with them appear to be more than reasonable and valid.

Cheers!

Larry

First time over to this thread today. I couldn't bring myself to read it prior to today, but I'd really like to thank Stephen and Larry for their very accurate account of everything that the Pairs went through at Adult Nationals.

I know I said this before on the "Get Well" thread, but I just want it noted that I emailed Mary Elizabeth well before the event and practice ice schedules were set asking her to remember to provide ample "Pairs Only" practice ice for the number of pair teams attending, because in 2004 there was no "Pairs Practice" ice in Lake Placid at all. Her response to me was that they had many skaters to accommodate and that she'd bring this to Denny Allen's attention and see what they could do. So, Denny saying that he "forgot about the pairs" is--you know what, I have no descriptive words for it--it's off the charts unbelievable.

About our up/mount on the back press the evening we had the accident; it was the best smoothest mount we ever had on that lift to date--very solid and very strong. Oh, and the ice was certifialbe crap that evening.

RachelSk8er
04-21-2008, 08:31 PM
Hi
I was interested in your post as I have just started doing video for ice skating comps. Mine are very inexpensive (£10 or about $20) but I don't burn direct to disc - I edit and make them nice on a printable DVD with the name of the competitions and skaters etc and a fancy case, but I am wondering if maybe it would be worth investing in a direct to DVD setup. The editing takes considerable time but maybe it's not worth my while if people are happy to buy directly burned ones.
I dont think you could operate it with just one person though - did they have a few people doing it?

The only thing edited out on the DVD from the competition where they were cheap and burning on the spot were the ice cuts (in synchro, we have ice cuts every 4-6 teams--similarly you could easily edit out warmup groups by just turning the camera off). Breaks due to IJS were still in, although they really didn't seem to take too long at this competition (open marks were not being used so there were no scores announced). They had probably 3-4 people working, 1 on camera, 1 burning, 1 running around doing other stuff and 1 taking and handing out orders.

sk8lady
04-21-2008, 08:41 PM
May I say, before I register my one complaint, that I really like Lake Placid, both the town and the arena. People were very nice to me, which was helpful during a stressful competition where I had to skate with a re-injured rotator cuff (from falling and then having someone fall on top of me during our club show 3 days before AN!) and without my coach, who found out she couldn't attend about 6 days before AN. I loved having a chance to watch other adults skate and it was great to be someplace where there are restaurants that don't have talking animal heads on the wall or people asking me if I want fries with that.

BUT...If anyone who is planning to help organize an AN is reading this, can I offer a suggestion? Please don't go 4 hours without having an ice cut during competition, which was what happened during my only event. It's not as though I've never skated on rutted, pitted ice (and at least there weren't any giant lumps in it as we often have at home)--but others have not and in any case, it doesn't seem fair to send people out to compete in the biggest competition available to adult skaters on subpar ice, especially as by the time of my event, we were actually running 10 minutes ahead of schedule. Instead of doing an ice cut, the organizers chose to begin my event 10 minutes early.

Thanks in advance for not ever doing this again.....

flo
04-21-2008, 09:12 PM
flying camel -
May I ask how much added cost there was to the entry fee? Is this for a DVD of each skater or one of the entire event? Are the skaters receptive to this offer?
Thanks!

vesperholly
04-21-2008, 09:17 PM
Instead of doing an ice cut, the organizers chose to begin my event 10 minutes early.
That's surprising, as I both read and heard it announced that no event whatsoever was going to be started early.

Stormy
04-21-2008, 09:24 PM
That's surprising, as I both read and heard it announced that no event whatsoever was going to be started early.

That was announced, but it did happen nevertheless. The cheif referee wasn't aware that it happened until it was brought up in the adult commitee meeting and she did apologize profusely for it.

jazzpants
04-21-2008, 11:43 PM
Just to let you know that I got my DVD's already from Production East. Not sure I wanna watch it but I will eventually watch it before my local AN Viewing party in mid June. 8O (WOW!!! This is the first year I'll actually have a video to show off at this AN viewing party!!! :P :lol: )

dbny
04-22-2008, 12:03 AM
3. In Ladies II Light Comedy, a new friend of mine from the GGR area, Leslie, skated to "Blue Moon" with a beautiful blue skating dress. When she exposed the moon on her rear-end under the skirt, I proceeded to laugh for the next 3 minutes - long after her program was done. So clever, so funny and very well skated. It was hilarious!

I've been hoping to watch this performance (among many others, of course), but the only Leslie I could find was in Masters and did not skate to Blue Moon. Can you check your info please? The video for Ladies II Light Comedy isn't up yet or I would have just watched it all looking for your friend.

AdultPairSkater
04-22-2008, 05:54 AM
I've been hoping to watch this performance (among many others, of course), but the only Leslie I could find was in Masters and did not skate to Blue Moon. Can you check your info please? The video for Ladies II Light Comedy isn't up yet or I would have just watched it all looking for your friend.

I may have the age group incorrect...... those youngsters! The 'Blue moon' program is for Ladies Interp Class I, LA/Comedy.

Sorry about the mix-up!

Cheers!

Larry

flying~camel
04-22-2008, 07:07 AM
flying camel -
May I ask how much added cost there was to the entry fee? Is this for a DVD of each skater or one of the entire event? Are the skaters receptive to this offer?
Thanks!

In our case, I believe it added about $20 to the entry fee (1st event is $85 this year compared to $65 last year). I know Port Huron had the same offer and Ann Arbor is doing it as well.

I think it is a DVD of the entire flight, but I'm not on the competition committee, so I don't know all of the specific details.

flying~camel
04-22-2008, 07:08 AM

Leslie skated class I LE/C interp :yum:

flo
04-22-2008, 08:56 AM
Thanks flying - that seems very reasonable.

rlichtefeld
04-22-2008, 09:53 AM

It happened with my event - Silver Pairs. The Bronze Pairs ended 10 minutes early and they wanted us on NOW. This was the second event of the day on the 32 rink.

Rob

doubletoe
04-22-2008, 12:38 PM
May I say, before I register my one complaint, that I really like Lake Placid, both the town and the arena. People were very nice to me, which was helpful during a stressful competition where I had to skate with a re-injured rotator cuff (from falling and then having someone fall on top of me during our club show 3 days before AN!) and without my coach, who found out she couldn't attend about 6 days before AN. I loved having a chance to watch other adults skate and it was great to be someplace where there are restaurants that don't have talking animal heads on the wall or people asking me if I want fries with that.

BUT...If anyone who is planning to help organize an AN is reading this, can I offer a suggestion? Please don't go 4 hours without having an ice cut during competition, which was what happened during my only event. It's not as though I've never skated on rutted, pitted ice (and at least there weren't any giant lumps in it as we often have at home)--but others have not and in any case, it doesn't seem fair to send people out to compete in the biggest competition available to adult skaters on subpar ice, especially as by the time of my event, we were actually running 10 minutes ahead of schedule. Instead of doing an ice cut, the organizers chose to begin my event 10 minutes early.

Thanks in advance for not ever doing this again.....

Wow! That certainly does not sound like standard procedure. Was there an ice cut scheduled according the the published schedule for that day?

sk8lady
04-22-2008, 06:33 PM
There was, and then there was a sign posted saying ice cuts had been canceled from 2:30 on.

Someone in our group told the monitor that the ice really needed to be cut before the ladies' interp V went on after us, so the referee checked the ice and then requested that there be an ice cut.

manleywoman
04-22-2008, 06:39 PM
There was, and then there was a sign posted saying ice cuts had been canceled from 2:30 on.

Sigh. It's so odd. LP has elite skaters training there! Why would they not comprehend the idea of an ice cut during a competition? I'm amazed this happened so frequently.

dbny
04-22-2008, 07:27 PM
I may have the age group incorrect...... those youngsters! The 'Blue moon' program is for Ladies Interp Class I, LA/Comedy.

Sorry about the mix-up!

Cheers!

Larry

Leslie skated class I LE/C interp :yum:

Thank you both! Can't wait for the video to be up.

coskater64
04-22-2008, 08:20 PM
The Zam in the 32 rink broke on Wed night, maybe that had something to do with the lack of zams. When I say broke, I "heard" it literally died and had to have another zam pull it off the ice...possibly part of the problem.8O

Isk8NYC
04-22-2008, 08:27 PM
This is totally random and off-topic, but my husband always yells "PUSH ME PULL YOU" when he sees a tow truck towing a tow truck.

I wondered if they had an equipment breakdown or a staffing shortage.

AdultPairSkater
04-22-2008, 08:34 PM
The Zam in the 32 rink broke on Wed night, maybe that had something to do with the lack of zams. When I say broke, I "heard" it literally died and had to have another zam pull it off the ice...possibly part of the problem.8O

Hi Coskater64 :)

I was practicing Wednesday evening on the USA rink when the buildings were quiet. We all heard the explosion of the Zam's final gasps 8O 8O 8O

A few moments later, I was able to see the remnants of black smoke and the poor thing lying unmoving, dead on the ice like a corpse on a slab 8O8O

I'm sure that in such an isolated location, this had a major contribution to what transpired afterwards.

Cheers!

Larry

Beccapoo2003
04-22-2008, 08:36 PM
Ya, we were there in the rink when it happened.... Wierd!!!!
Beccapoo

sk8er1964
04-22-2008, 09:26 PM

I was practicing Wednesday evening on the USA rink when the buildings were quiet. We all heard the explosion of the Zam's final gasps 8O 8O 8O

A few moments later, I was able to see the remnants of black smoke and the poor thing lying unmoving, dead on the ice like a corpse on a slab 8O8O

I'm sure that in such an isolated location, this had a major contribution to what transpired afterwards.

Cheers!

Larry

OT - We had a zamboni explode and catch on fire at a local rink back in the fall. Shut one of the two rinks in the building down for about a month. Fortunately, nobody was hurt.

Ice T
04-22-2008, 09:44 PM

mikawendy
04-22-2008, 09:51 PM

We all heard the explosion of the Zam's final gasps 8O 8O 8O

OT - We had a zamboni explode and catch on fire at a local rink back in the fall. Shut one of the two rinks in the building down for about a month. Fortunately, nobody was hurt.

Gee, this must happen pretty often around the country--I think the zam at Ice Works in PA also caught fire last fall! I didn't see it happen, but I heard about it on the local evening news in Maryland!

manleywoman
04-22-2008, 09:54 PM
So I guess LP did the best they could, considering.

Figureskates
04-23-2008, 04:37 AM

Cheers!

Larry

We immediately adjourned to the Lake Placid brewpub and hoisted a few out of respect!

Stormy
04-23-2008, 08:35 PM
LOL! I didn't see it happen, but I defintiely took a picture of the poor dead Zamboni.

lovepairs
04-25-2008, 06:16 AM
Can someone tell me where in Rink 1932 the Zamboni finally died? Was it in the middle of the rink, near the Zamboni door, closer to where the clock hangs, or near by the coaching box on the side of the audience stands?

FREESK8ER
04-27-2008, 06:28 AM
FYI everyone,
If you go to the Members Only part of USFSA website you can download and print certificates of your events. They even have certificates from previous Nationals. Very nice to have.

RachelSk8er
04-27-2008, 06:59 PM
FYI everyone,
If you go to the Members Only part of USFSA website you can download and print certificates of your events. They even have certificates from previous Nationals. Very nice to have.

I was surprised on how far back they went. I have certificates from synchro sectionals/nationals going back to the late 90s!

flo
04-28-2008, 09:27 PM
Freesk8er. What interp group were you in?????

sexyskates
04-28-2008, 10:40 PM
Flo, I must tell you that your Artistic Interp was so beautiful and moving! I hadn't had a chance to actually see it until I watch my dvd of the event, which arrived on Friday. I am now inspired to work on my footwork, dance, and MITF, because I would like to move on the ice as beautifully as you do. A truly gorgeous performance! Hopefully it will be up on Icenetwork soon.

flo
04-29-2008, 10:46 AM
Wow - thanks :oops: The program means a lot to me, a friend of mine who was badly injured in Iraq gave me his jacket.

I've not yet had a chance to see your program - I've heard it was wonderful! Congrats again and thanks!

PS, I think Freesk8ter may have also been in our group.

FREESK8ER
04-29-2008, 05:19 PM
I was in Interp 4 group B Light Entertainment and Comedy.
I wore a dirndl and a bavarian wig and skated to the Music Box scene from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. It was about a music box doll who wants to become free. Near the end I removed the 'Key" attached with velcro and the doll begins to skate. The last minute was a tune about skating but at the very end I replaced the key and become a doll again. Sexyskates helped me re-engineer the key after it failed at Sectionals in Wayne NJ. Thanks Sexyskates.

Isk8NYC
04-29-2008, 06:14 PM
I hope this ends up on IceNetwork - that's one of my favorite songs from CCBB and I've always wanted to see someone skate to it in character.

flo
04-29-2008, 06:15 PM
Freesk8er nope - wrong group. Just wondered. Sounds like you had a great time. I always thought that music would be good for an interp pairs.

herniated
04-29-2008, 06:16 PM
I wore a dirndl and a bavarian wig and skated to the Music Box scene from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. It was about a music box doll who wants to become free. Near the end I removed the 'Key" attached with velcro and the doll begins to skate. The last minute was a tune about skating but at the very end I replaced the key and become a doll again. Sexyskates helped me re-engineer the key after it failed at Sectionals in Wayne NJ. Thanks Sexyskates.

You were great FREESK8ER!!!!

dbny
04-29-2008, 08:57 PM

Loved it! You really captured the mechanical doll perfectly, and the music change and change to natural movement and back were great too.

Mrs Redboots
04-30-2008, 06:33 AM
I hope this ends up on IceNetwork - that's one of my favorite songs from CCBB and I've always wanted to see someone skate to it in character.
I've seen it done a couple of times, including once where the skater's music changed to "I wanna break free!" which was very funny indeed. It's really hard to stay in character throughout with a routine like that, though.

Hmmm, maybe I'll have a go with it myself; it's some years since I've seen anybody do it!

sexyskates
04-30-2008, 08:46 PM
Flo, I'm sorry about your soldier friend - what a beautiful tribute. Artistic 4B is STILL not up - hopefully soon.

Freesk8er had a wonderful performance! Congratulations again on medalling!

sk8lady
05-01-2008, 07:50 AM
The icenetwork folks accidentally put the IVA video up instead of IVB, so I let them know--they took it back down but still haven't put IVB up. Apparently the original video they received was corrupt and they had to request a new one, hence the original delay.

Thin-Ice
05-05-2008, 07:42 AM
Yup!!! You guys were definitely the right people for Matt's horn!!! Thin-Ice and I couldn't blow that thing to save our lives!!! Maybe we should have had some vodka nips beforehand so our lips would be loosen up for the horn!!! LOL!!!

Well...... speak for yourself JP -- some of us didn't even WANT to put our lips anywhere NEAR that horn!:twisted:

By the way, sorry for the long delayed post... but I haven't been able to get onto a computer (don't ask...). Congratulations to EVERYONE who skated or volunteered or cheered at AN. It was wonderful to see so many adult skaters again. I want to thank everyone who tossed me toys, etc. after my QR in the 1932 rink. It may not have looked like much to the judges but to me it was magical. It's the best I've ever skated in competition.. and my first year in Silver! The amazing part was I skated so poorly at PCAS I was afraid I would look like I had wandered into the wrong event. Thanks to my wonderful coach at home, my rent-a-coach and all my friends for supporting me and letting me truly enjoy the event.

By the way, JazzPants, I can hardly wait to see you in the purple dress. DO let me know what you decide to use it for.

Happy skating!

Autumn

Thin-Ice
05-05-2008, 07:50 AM
Thanks! I counted seven: you, me, Colleen Conroy, Ted Gradman, Angie Prevost, Walt Horton and Dorothy Ray. I have a feeling I am missing one, though!

Thom Mullins has also been to all of them.

jazzpants
05-05-2008, 11:16 AM
Thom Mullins has also been to all of them.
Gary Klingsberg would have been on that list if he didn't decide to stay home this year. (He's okay... just didn't want to go! He's still ummm... bantering with primary coach at the lessons!!! :twisted: :lol: )

Well...... speak for yourself JP -- some of us didn't even WANT to put our lips anywhere NEAR that horn!:twisted:

By the way, JazzPants, I can hardly wait to see you in the purple dress. DO let me know what you decide to use it for.Ummm...yeah! That too! :twisted:

Thank you again for the help on that dress. I just got called by Freida B and they are shipping the dress now. :mrgreen: (MSF, are you reading this? I need your music background here on this one! I want something appropriate but UNIQUE!!!) As for my current interp, we'll see what I can do to savage EWF first. (I may ask to change the straightline footwork and the ending footwork! I always HATED the straightline and I thought the last minute change to my ending footwork SUCKS!!! :x )

skaternum
05-05-2008, 12:25 PM
As for my current interp, we'll see what I can do to savage EWF first.

I assume you meant "salvage," but the mental image of "savaging" a program is way too funny!!:D

looplover
05-05-2008, 12:42 PM
I assume you meant "salvage," but the mental image of "savaging" a program is way too funny!!:D

LOL, I've savaged a few...:halo:

Connie Webb
05-10-2008, 09:17 PM
This is Connie Webb here and I just want to say thank you to all who have been sending up prayers and good thoughts for me. I was very disappointed that I didn't get to compete at AN but I know there is a reason for every thing that happens. I did enjoy getting to cheer others on and watching them enjoy the experience!
I had surgery on the 18 of April and I'm doing much better now. I pray that I will be back on the ice in August to start getting ready for next year. I am getting accupuncture treatments twice a week and they are helping but I still have a long way to go. Please continue to keep me in your thoughts and prayers.;)

PersnicketySk8r
05-10-2008, 09:32 PM
"U.S. Figure Skating Awards 2009 U.S. Adult Championships to Grand Rapids, Mich." (http://www.usfigureskating.org/Story.asp?id=41478)

flo
05-10-2008, 11:14 PM
Connie - Take care! The way you handled everything is a great inspiration for us all!

ps - I "threw" you the bunny.

Isk8NYC
05-11-2008, 12:12 AM
Please continue to keep me in your thoughts and prayers.;)Absolutely! Welcome to skatingforums!

manleywoman
05-11-2008, 12:32 AM
Hi Connie! Don't know you, but heard about your accident. Glad you're doing better and happy to see you have such a great attitude! We'll see you next year, and welcome to the forum!