View Full Version : My ankle... grr!

Sessy
04-08-2008, 05:19 AM
Great, so today I had a talk with the physiotherapist about my ankle and the progress it's making (or rather not making), and he wants me to stop physiotherapy and he's gonna give me a note for my doctor that my doctor should send me to the hospital for ... a bone scan or something? What the heck is that, does anybody know?

onlyhappyonice
04-08-2008, 06:44 AM
Great, so today I had a talk with the physiotherapist about my ankle and the progress it's making (or rather not making), and he wants me to stop physiotherapy and he's gonna give me a note for my doctor that my doctor should send me to the hospital for ... a bone scan or something? What the heck is that, does anybody know?

you have until september to get back into shape for skating sessy, so maybe keeping off the ankle as much as you can won't throw you too much.

By bone scan they probably just mean a CT or MRI aimed at your ankle, or even more intense a radioactive dye, all used to enable better detection of abnormalities in the bone.

renatele
04-08-2008, 07:18 AM
I had a bone scan when I had some weird foot troubles.

They will inject you with a radioactive material, then you will have to wait about 3 hours or so before the scan. Radioactive particles will be absorbed by the bone, and will be detected by the scanner, which is like a not very wide band placed around the table. On the monitor, scan results will look like a bunch of tiny stars in the shape of your body with the bones more prominent :) . Since the bones absorb the particles, bone scan allows to detect tiny breaks in the bone, etc.

Sessy
04-08-2008, 12:23 PM
Oh okay that's cool, I had that for my kidneys a few years back, that's not scary. Thanks for the reassurance! :bow::bow::bow:

herniated
04-08-2008, 03:24 PM
No, not scary just time consuming. I had one a few years ago and just like renatele described.

sue123
04-08-2008, 04:17 PM
Oh okay that's cool, I had that for my kidneys a few years back, that's not scary. Thanks for the reassurance! :bow::bow::bow:

It's probably a little different than what you had for your kidney, as the dye they inject you with gets taken up by bone, but a lot of the tests have the same idea.

I don't know if they will let you see the bone scan, or if they just read off the results, but if you can see it, you definitely should. The look really cool. Or maybe I'm just the nerd that thinks that stuff is cool.