View Full Version : We need a law .. or more snow

johns135
04-07-2008, 04:27 PM
Seasonal rink closed yesterday. I'm in deep withdrawal. It is freezing cold
outside, and today was a noon skate day for me. Instead of fatburgers,
I skate Mon, Tues, Thurs, Sat, with the ladies .. I being the only guy on
the ice most times. Work jumps with one lady. Ice dances with another.
It's a rough life, but I've learned to live with it. And then, just like that, it
is gone.

Bill_S
04-07-2008, 04:38 PM
I feel your pain. Our rink closes officially after Saturday's show.

Fuel prices make it an expensive proposition to drive to distant rinks now.

Skate@Delaware
04-07-2008, 05:01 PM
i actually offered to pay a guy's expenses if he would drive to my rink and skate with me...he turned me down :cry:...my rink closes on sunday for the summer (yeah early summer, eh?)

GordonSk8erBoi
04-07-2008, 07:19 PM
Are these all outdoor rinks?

I've never understood why anyone would close a rink in summer, but then I'm from Arizona... skating in the summer is a great way to get away from the heat.

Kim to the Max
04-07-2008, 08:31 PM
We have a few city rinks that close for the summer, but luckily, the rink I normally skate at stays open. And if nothing else, the rink on campus is open all summer long. :) I've been lucky that I've always been in a place where at least one rink was open over the summer...

Bill_S
04-07-2008, 08:58 PM

I've never understood why anyone would close a rink in summer, but then I'm from Arizona... skating in the summer is a great way to get away from the heat.

No, our rink is an indoor rink. I'm a little puzzled why it closes so early. Perhaps it's merely an energy cost issue.

onlyhappyonice
04-08-2008, 02:48 AM
None of the rinks around me in the UK close (well except at night haha)

It makes no sense whatsoever, they sell tickets for people to skate so why close... silly rink managers

kayskate
04-08-2008, 07:41 AM
No, our rink is an indoor rink. I'm a little puzzled why it closes so early. Perhaps it's merely an energy cost issue.

Energy $ is a big issue. Also, business tends to die in summer. LtS goes almost to nothing. School hockey is over. Kids are doing other things. W/o hockey and crowded publics, the rink loses $ or does make enough by staying open. What I don't understand is why they don't have roller hockey in summer on the floor, but then a lot of the floors are sand. Multi-surface facilities may leave one ice rink open and use another for craft fairs, dog shows, etc.

Kay

Morgail
04-08-2008, 11:34 AM
The seasonal rink here closed on Sunday:cry: Luckily, we also have a year-round rink, but I remember the years before that one existed. No summer skating at all back then.

Ours is an old indoor rink. They close during the summer because 1) There isn't enough business. People here don't associate ice skating with summer (though it would be a great way to cool off!), and 2) the rink isn't insulated well enough to support ice when its 90-something degrees outside. I also suspect that the family who owns it & runs it enjoys a well-needed break during the summer;)

taijiya
04-08-2008, 12:01 PM
Yeah, what Morgail said. :D Luckily for me, the other rink in town is a five-minute drive from my office, and LtS goes on all summer, so I'll be continuing to skate instead of taking a break for six months (and then whining pathetically about how much ground I've lost once my regular rink opens again.)

Mrs Redboots
04-08-2008, 12:02 PM

It makes no sense whatsoever, they sell tickets for people to skate so why close... silly rink managers
But across the Channel many rinks close for the summer, even the indoor ones. Not all, at least not in France, but probably two out of three. We are lucky here! And the rink is wonderful on a hot, sweaty summer's day - the sort of day when even in the rink you only need a T-shirt! Just like today wasn't!

Skittl1321
04-08-2008, 12:21 PM
We've definetly hit the time of year where public sessions start getting very empty. I think that's the main reason indoor rinks close for the summer.

But I have to say I do not understand why the public skates like that! I would MUCH rather do skating as a hot weather sport than a cold weather sport. There are days in the winter when the last thing I want to do is go get colder! But in the summer ice is heaven!

Oh well, my rink is in a mall, so thankfully it stays open- and more ice for me:)

Bunny Hop
04-08-2008, 02:19 PM
I wish ice rinks became quiet in the summer here! That would be wonderful. From mid-July to mid-September all the public sessions are absolutely packed! It's impossible to get anything done. Any skills I've gained in the course of the year go backwards over summer because you can't do anything except skate round and round. Lessons have to happen in a coned off area at one end of the rink, but even then, there are so many lessons happening in a confined space that there's a limit to what you can do.

Though from what people are saying here, it sounds as if we might be able to find some quiet sessions when we go to Canada in August - assuming we can find a rink that's open!

sk8_4fun
04-09-2008, 09:53 AM

*shudder* good job too seeing as we have prescious few rinks here in the frst place. My coach told me he has keys and could skate at 3 a.m if the mood took him! What a fabulous idea!:D

onlyhappyonice
04-09-2008, 10:20 AM
*shudder* good job too seeing as we have prescious few rinks here in the frst place. My coach told me he has keys and could skate at 3 a.m if the mood took him! What a fabulous idea!:D

Telford?
please tell me it's so :)

if so I'll make the 45 minute drive and come skate with you, I'll even buy you a hot choccy :lol:

sk8_4fun
04-09-2008, 12:50 PM
Telford?
please tell me it's so :)

if so I'll make the 45 minute drive and come skate with you, I'll even buy you a hot choccy :lol:

somehow I dont think he was being serious!!!

Skate@Delaware
04-09-2008, 01:33 PM
My rink closes from mid-April until the beginning of September. It's mostly economics, as it's very expensive to stay open through the summer (our temps sometimes reach over 100 F).

There are rinks that stay open year-round but they are over an hour away.

There is also a new "rink" in a shopping center about 45 minutes away...it's a super-slick synthetic surface (rated as better than the stuff I used last year, but I haven't skated on it yet). I'm trying to track it down so I can check it out. With gas projected to be over $4/gallon, it's worth checking out!!!

onlyhappyonice
04-09-2008, 02:06 PM
somehow I dont think he was being serious!!!

A damn shame...

find out ;)

Morgail
04-09-2008, 02:22 PM
Yeah, what Morgail said. :D Luckily for me, the other rink in town is a five-minute drive from my office, and LtS goes on all summer, so I'll be continuing to skate instead of taking a break for six months (and then whining pathetically about how much ground I've lost once my regular rink opens again.)

I can't believe we've never met! We've probably been at the same session and not known it:)

But I have to say I do not understand why the public skates like that! I would MUCH rather do skating as a hot weather sport than a cold weather sport. There are days in the winter when the last thing I want to do is go get colder! But in the summer ice is heaven!

Me too! I love skating in the summer. It's so much easier to move when your toes and fingertips aren't frozen and you don't have to wear bulky clothes.