View Full Version : Skating in jeans

sue123
04-07-2008, 01:21 PM
Has anyone ever skated in jeans? I had to today because I thought I had stretch pants in my skating bag, but I guess I took them out to wash them and forgot to put them back in. I wasn't about to give up an empty public session (literally, I was the only person on the ice for the hour I was there), so I went for it and skated in my non-stretch jeans.

Never again. I couldn't bend enough in them and when I fell, they would get soaked and then get really heavy. And I think they stained my skates blue.

Moral of the story: Always check your skating bag for all essential elements before leaving the house.

AshBugg44
04-07-2008, 01:26 PM
Skating in jeans is so restrictive. That's why, as a coach, it's in my policy packet that jeans and other street clothes are strictly not to be worn! :)

Ice Dancer
04-07-2008, 02:02 PM
I used to in my very early LTS days. I never fell in them, and didn't overly know any difference. However as soon as I swapped to joggers, and then a skirt, I noticed how restrictive they really were! I wouldn't do it again unless I really had to!

Kim to the Max
04-07-2008, 02:03 PM
The only time I have ever skated in jeans has been when I was coaching...I generally coached little kids (tots-basic 5-6), so I was still able to demonstrate if I needed.

It's always interesting seeing coach doing dance lessons in jeans...I don't know how she does it! Especially when she is partnering one of her male students....

looplover
04-07-2008, 02:20 PM
Heh...only my one pair of stretch jeans, and only during public sessions.

I don't like to wear my regular skating pants during public sessions because they are so skin tight I feel a little obscene 8O.

flippet
04-07-2008, 03:27 PM
I used to skate in jeans all the time, when I was between classes--there simply wasn't enough time to change, then change back. But I also knew that I wasn't getting in a really good workout when I did that--I'd skate more 'carefully', because I didn't want to get soaked, plus I didn't have quite the range of motion I'd have otherwise. I usually worked on turns and footwork when I had to skate in jeans. It's certainly "do-able", but there are much better options for skatewear.

I'd never do a 'serious' practice, or heaven forbid, a lesson in jeans. That's just a waste of good ice.

johns135
04-07-2008, 04:34 PM
I wouldn't skate in anything else. Imagine an old man in stretch pants.
Sure. You bet. I wouldn't have any problems with empty public sessions.
That is for sure. The stretch problem goes away if you wear baggy jeans.
They move with you, and when I fall, they don't feel wet to me. Of course
ours is a covered outdoor rink, and the ice is hockey ice like a brickbat.
Our figure skating club here wears stretch pants ... even the one guy.
I try not to look. Somebody might accuse me of "looking while old".
Besides, there's not much to look at anyway. The be-jeaned girls in
our public sessions ... now that is another matter. I do sneak a peak, but
I'm careful about it.

johns

Sessy
04-07-2008, 04:40 PM
Hmmm I skate in jeans all the time. Admittedly, most of them are reaaally stretch but if I'm right out of school and havent got time to change, I'll practice MIF in my hard jeans or even leather pants, frankly. MIF is low-risk for falls and doesn't ask for much flexibility.
But then I can do a biellmann in non-stretch pants so hm. Also I don't mind if they go wet, I usually wear tights under the jeans anway (it's just too cold to sit in some of the college rooms and cycle on the bike in winter otherwise)

One time a guest coach, filling in for an absent coach, decided to tell me off about wearing jeans during lessons, in reply to which I did a biellmann, and the coaches have been fine with it ever since.

I do prefer jogging pants btw though, if you're in a large-scale lecture (not a seminar) you can get away with wearing sports clothes to school. Besides some of my professors know I skate, one even said he'd come to watch the club competitions, LOL! They don't mind, especially when you come in at like 12 in the afternoon on a friday or monday after a training instead of with a hangover like the rest of class, and you're well-prepared, they don't mind in the least that you have a bag with skates all over the table and that you're wearing something really ridiculous. But then maybe I'm spoiled rotten with really unmotivated classmates, so it's easier to get my teacher's good sort of attention.

onlyhappyonice
04-08-2008, 02:45 AM
I always wear jeans when skating

except I promised myself tonight I will wear trackies, so will see how free I feel compared to jeans :)

kayskate
04-08-2008, 07:43 AM
Aside from being restrictive, jeans are cotton. Cotton absorbs moisture whether from a fall on the ice or your own perspiration. I don't skate in anything cotton. I feel too cold and clammy.

Kay

Isk8NYC
04-08-2008, 08:33 AM
I wear cotton, but I don't wear jeans and I tell my skating students that they're not to wear jeans. Especially at the levels where we're teaching spirals and lunges - they just get sodden.

I usually wear stretch pants, sometimes I add a pair of baggy ski pants if I'm teaching beginners or just skating moves.

onlyhappyonice
04-08-2008, 09:01 AM
But then maybe I'm spoiled rotten with really unmotivated classmates, so it's easier to get my teacher's good sort of attention.

You know you're spoilt, I know you're spoilt... end of! haha

Mrs Redboots
04-08-2008, 11:58 AM
Husband has skated in a pair of very loose, old jeans that didn't restrict him at all, but that was for competition. We normally both skate in trackies, unless I wear a skirt and tights. Which I shall have to start doing again soon to get ready for competition - but it's such a nuisance having to decide before I go out whether I'm going shopping and if so, to remember to take street clothes. I don't mind going to the supermarket in trackies, but not in a skating skirt, thank you! It's bad enough having to open the gate to our parking....

taijiya
04-08-2008, 12:13 PM
I only skate in jeans if I'm going out on a public session--like looplover I feel a little exposed in my usual stretch pants! I always wear either stretchy fleece-lined pants or a skating skirt when I have a lesson; I find them more comfortable and easier to work in.

isakswings
04-08-2008, 12:18 PM
I wouldn't skate in anything else. Imagine an old man in stretch pants.
Sure. You bet. I wouldn't have any problems with empty public sessions.
That is for sure. The stretch problem goes away if you wear baggy jeans.
They move with you, and when I fall, they don't feel wet to me. Of course
ours is a covered outdoor rink, and the ice is hockey ice like a brickbat.
Our figure skating club here wears stretch pants ... even the one guy.
I try not to look. Somebody might accuse me of "looking while old".
Besides, there's not much to look at anyway. The be-jeaned girls in
our public sessions ... now that is another matter. I do sneak a peak, but
I'm careful about it.

johns

My husband wears nylon or mesh athletic pants to skate in. He would not wear strech pants either. LOL! I can't say as I blame him tho!

Sessy
04-08-2008, 12:25 PM
You know you're spoilt, I know you're spoilt... end of! haha

No, to THAT teacher's class, I wear the miniskirts and high heels ;) No trainings on wednesday afternoons :lol:

smelltheice
04-08-2008, 12:53 PM
I am glad I can still get away with stretch trousers but normally wear jogging bottoms. I prefer to wear cotton as synthetics make me sweat like a pig!!

celticprincess
04-08-2008, 04:11 PM
I used to skate in jeans all the time. My jeans are very very stretchy..but thats besides the point. Now that Im working on my camel, perfecting spirals, axels...I've been wearing sweatpants. I used to wear dresses very very often, but my mum and dad said 'only five year olds skate in dresses'. They're not very supportive of my skating..as one may conclude...but I see lots of people wearing dresses and skirts. I still wear them when I can. Jeans are quite restricing when trying to reach full flexiblity..especally on spirals. Yet I like wearing them once in a while when I have limited time to change and/or too lazy to wash my skate wear. I also wear them for learn to skate classes...because it's far too cold standing in the cold rink teaching 4 and 5 yr olds how to march. Only it wasn't too pleasant teaching them how to fall and get up...hehe.

patatty
04-08-2008, 06:04 PM
I wore jeans to a public session with my kids the other day, thinking that it would be too crowded to try anything anyway. The session thinned out at the end, and I tried a few axels. Those jeans I was wearing were not very forgiving - my leg couldn't kick up into the jump and I almost fell on my face. No more jeans for me! I normally skate in dresses or in skating leggings, and I wasn't used to resistance from my clothes.

sk8_4fun
04-09-2008, 09:48 AM
I wore stretch jeans to skate just once. I was taking a 'day off' as I was getting a little bogged down with the stuff I was working on at the time, and by wearing the jeans it was like making a mental note to myself that this was 'time out' to have fun. It worked!:D Dont think I'd do it again though as I was scared I might catch my blade.

onlyhappyonice
04-09-2008, 10:22 AM
I wore the trackies I wear to snowboarding lessons last night and could tell they made a difference, no warmer or colder, but lots more freedom to move :)

and my gentlemans handbags had more air going around them which was lovely hahaha

sk8tmum
04-09-2008, 11:06 AM
and my gentlemans handbags had more air going around them which was lovely hahaha

:lol:

I have NEVER heard that term before - thanks for cheering up on a really lousy day - !

Morgail
04-09-2008, 02:36 PM
I used to skate in jeans when I went to weekend night sessions as a teenager. But those sessions were more about socializing than practicing, so it wasn't too bad unless I tried to do a sit spin or spiral.

Now, I would never wear jeans to skate in. Even if I just go for skating around with friends, I wear yoga pants or something stretchy. So much more comfortable and not so heavy if they get wet.