View Full Version : Rhythmic Skating

Skittl1321
02-27-2008, 09:14 AM
Does anyone have any experience with these events? I was thinking about doing a ribbon event for a competition in April- but decided I just don't have enough time to prepare. So maybe I can do it some time in the future.

My coach told me ISI doesn't really have specific requirements for these like rhymthmic gymnastic does. So is it kind of a free for all, judges pick what was their personal preference?

Did you have difficulty practicing with your prop? I'm worried about trying to work with 4 yards of ribbon on even an uncrowded session.

I'd just love to hear more about your experience with ball, hoop, or ribbon.

Also- if you do ribbon, did you just buy a rhymthmic gymnastics ribbon and cut it? Those seem to be 5 or 6 meters depending on level, and the competition announcement I have says 2-4 yards max. Or is there a cheaper alternative?

Clarice
02-27-2008, 09:39 AM
I don't have any personal experience with these events, but several of our girls did a show number like this once. One skated with a ribbon, and the others had various other props - a length of chiffon fabric, a floral garland, etc. I was props mistress, and had to get all this stuff together, including practice versions so we wouldn't mess up the real ones too badly before the show. For the ribbon, I ended up ordering a rhythmic gymnastics ribbon and cutting it down - can't remember what our final length was, but 4 yards sounds about right. I suppose I could dig it out of storage and measure. They're not that expensive, and you really need the commercial wand because it needs to be able to swivel properly so you don't get all tangled up. I had tried a practice version where I used regular wide satin ribbon from the fabric store and borrowed a wand from the high school marching band color guard, but the ribbon made for this purpose is a whole lot better - better weight, and it flows better.

deannathegeek
02-27-2008, 12:05 PM
I don't have experience, but I think I'm going to try the Hoop event at Adult Nationals this year. It ought to be fun to try :D

eliza1
02-27-2008, 01:12 PM
Yes, I did an artistic comp with a ribbon -- the full 6m ribbon. It was fun learning to do jumps with that length of ribbon -- you really have to whip it as you land or you will get tangled in it. Then another skater and I did a Christmas exhibition with us both using rythmic ribbons -- it was very effective!! I will try to link the video in....3 - 4 yards should be very easy to skate with!

eliza1
02-27-2008, 01:28 PM
This is the vid from the artistic comp, not great but might give you some ideas http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFS9W0_T8qc -- hope that link works as I have never tried doing that before!

miraclegro
02-27-2008, 08:30 PM
Well, i dont know if i'd attempt it, i'd probably land in the hospital!

But i did seen on somthing like Stars on Ice or something like that a guest lady who skated and did many many many hula hoops around her arms, legs, neck and kept them all going! Itwas the most amazing thing! I just wondered if she learned the hula hoops first, and then the skates, or what. She didn't do jumps and spin, i don't think (it's been a while).

I'd think these things would be like skating, and scratching your head and rubbing your tummy! I'd kill myself for sure!

Helen88
02-28-2008, 04:19 AM

But i did seen on somthing like Stars on Ice or something like that a guest lady who skated and did many many many hula hoops around her arms, legs, neck and kept them all going! Itwas the most amazing thing! I just wondered if she learned the hula hoops first, and then the skates, or what. She didn't do jumps and spin, i don't think (it's been a while).

I'd think these things would be like skating, and scratching your head and rubbing your tummy! I'd kill myself for sure!

Oooh I saw something like that on the Worlds [Euros?] Gala last year...or maybe it was just a gala...can't remember. I just remember all the hoops...brilliant :giveup:.

Mrs Redboots
02-28-2008, 05:27 AM
One of my friends did something like that for an artistic one year - I think she skated to "Scarlet Ribbons", but wouldn't swear to it. Anyway, she did it very well indeed (she was a show skater some 30-40 years ago, and we tease her that she is still an old pro!).

deannathegeek
02-28-2008, 08:59 AM

I saw that same show-it's still on my DVR. That's why I'm trying the hoop at the ISI Adult Nationals. Like my daddy always said, I'll try anything once and if I like it I'll try it twice :D

Pandora
04-03-2008, 08:24 PM
Have heard the ISI is including new event "rhythmic skating." http://www.skateisi.com/site/sub.cfm?content=events_national_event_descriptions
Skaters choose either the hoop, ball, or ribbon (limited 6-9ft.). Reading the other thread, I noticed that a lot of you are/were gymnasts. I brought a rhythmic ball, but when I took it onto the rink it turned into a "ballistic missle" during a sit spin when it got loose and slammed into the wall. Oops!! :oops: Other skaters not happy. Got the "no props" speech. Sorry :mrgreen: .. That's the problem: There is really no "safe" way to practice it except if the rink/coaches set up a special time and they probably won't due to the expense. (Sigh)..:roll:
Check out these vids. It really would be a great event.:!: The first one is an Olympic level Russian gymnast (who had some ice background), fooling around with the ball. The other is the hoop at a competition. And the third is a ribbon, (Gordeeva), and it is just beautiful!! Breathtaking!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKHfdxGFpt8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyQIOL_y2Ks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dbpKolQl9A
What to you guys/gals think? I'd love to try it!! (Was getting pretty good with that stupid ball...);) But there is just no way to practice on ice....:frus:

eliza1
04-03-2008, 09:50 PM
The ribbon is what I taught myself to do -- I used the actual length that competitive rhythmic gymnasts use. It is very effective! Here is a link -- not sure if it will work....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFS9W0_T8qc. Have fun!!

Pandora
04-03-2008, 10:08 PM
Excellent routine!!! Wow!!! :D Was it for the new ISI event? (or for a "regular" showcase/exhibition?) How did you get to practice at your rink? Did they warn you about the ribbon getting in other skater's way? Or did you have a time of day where you had the ice pretty much to yourself? One lady suggested that I cut the ribbon to a foot or two and just practice the hand motions, but I don't think that would work very well...:(
...Anyway, your routine was awesome!! :bow:
So what do you think about using rhythmic as an "event" in itself? Do you think the USFSA would ever consider it? (Like you showed, it really is beautiful if done well), and it would give another demension to the sport. Everyone is worried about the triple jumps taking over and loosing the artistic. Well, they could limit the jumps to doubles and focus on appratus handing and edging, maybe even jumping/spinning in both directions, split jumps, gymnastics stuff like that (stags etc.) Wow!! It would be incredible! (And that's comming from me, and I'm usually not a fan of artistic stuff. :D )

Skittl1321
04-04-2008, 07:30 AM
Alot of the kids at our rink are doing hoop events. It seems the safest one to practice, as they don't get away quite as much as the balls, nor are they as tangley and long as the ribbon.

For the competition announcement I considered doing a ribbon event for, a standard length ribbon would not have been acceptable. It was required to be much shorter.

I like the idea of this, but my issue is that the judging is completely subjective. There are no required elements for the props, or really guidelines even, like in rhythmic gymnastics. It's just 'do something make it look pretty'. If ISI has a few more guidelines (ie: flicks, snakes, spirals, throws for the ribbon etc) of what they want, then I might consider it. Right now it seems like a spotlight with a specific prop. Even more so like spotlight, the coach at our rink seems to be having the skaters set the hoop down for a moment in their routines to do something like a jump, like they would in spotlight. My interpretation of the rules is this is not okay (it certainly wouldn't be in gymnastics)- but everything is SO vague.

Clarice
04-04-2008, 08:36 AM
I haven't done this, but for our US Figure Skating competition last year, a friend and I entered the artistic duet event and used flags as props. These were full-sized flags, such as a marching band color guard would use. They never touched the ice, so we were within the prop rules for this competition. Practicing with them was indeed a challenge, since they presented a hazard to other skaters on the session. We chose our sessions carefully, and if things were busier than anticipated, we practiced without the flags. The others eventually got used to what we were doing, and learned how much ice some of our movements would take up - almost the same as a death spiral sometimes. Even so, we generally only did the routine with the flags once or twice on a session, and then practiced without them the rest of the time.

Artemis
04-04-2008, 11:21 AM
I seem to recall about 5 years ago Rudy Galindo doing a show routine / pro competition number with ribbons and/or hoops (maybe two different routines?). I can't remember the specifics, but I do remember it was amazing.

That said, however, I don't think I'd be too interested in it as a regular thing. It was a novelty that I think would be spoiled if everyone were doing it.

I am intrigued by the concept though.

eliza1
04-06-2008, 10:48 AM
Thanks, Pandora! It was for an exhibition event(in the UK) -- part of the scoring was entertainment value and I didn't want to do anything stupid so taught myself the ribbon. When I skate early in the morning at the rink it is normally very quiet and my coach is very good with trying to find 'quiet time' to practice with the ribbon. In fact, one of the younger skaters (very good skater!) and myself did a Christmas exhibition to ' O'Holy Night' which turned out really well! That would be pretty cool if they started rhythmic skating events but used gymnastic codes as well as skating codes to score the program.

deannathegeek
04-07-2008, 12:08 PM
I'm seriously thinking about doing this at the ISI Adult nationals this year, using the hoop. It looks like a lot of fun :D

Pandora
04-07-2008, 02:10 PM
Yes, they would need some sort of code to judge it by, (it would make sense to base it on the gymnastics model). It's great that you could find the quiet time on the ice to practice.
Yes, I think the hoop would be a great idea!! (And it would probably be your best bet with other skaters since it can't get loose that easily.) If you can, post the routine, I'd love to see it!!! :)
I am going to try to find ice (somewhere) to continue my "rhythmic adventures." If I can, will put together some stuff and post it on YouTube so we can have a good laugh. :lol:

winziped
11-13-2008, 07:20 PM
i read on ISI website about Rhythmic Skating ,if somebody know a website for look more about this . can post it here and share with us ..

know that is like rhythmic gymnastics but with skates

Skittl1321
11-14-2008, 12:48 PM
At least as of last year (when it was added, I believe) there were no required elements (like in gymnastics where certain shapes have to be done with the ribbon, etc). Competition announcements should have information on restrictions on the apparatus (the ribbon is shorter than gymnastics).

Unlike an interp prop, you can't put your apparatus down on the ice. We had lots of skaters at our competition who set their hoop down to jump over it or something, and most of the judges dinged them on it- it's okay to release it to spin it across the ice, or to throw it, but setting it down at a standstill didn't sit well with the judges.

I wish they'd release more information, but not much has come from ISI about this event, unless I keep missing it.

Isk8NYC
11-14-2008, 01:27 PM
Had you seen this on the skateisi.org site?

RHYTHMIC SKATING – FEATURED EVENT FOR 2009!

This new entertaining event requires the use of one hand-held prop listed below. The program should contain elements that employ the use of the prop throughout the routine. The skater must maintain control of the prop at all times. Props of the same kind (i.e. Ball / Hoop / Ribbon) must be grouped together and cannot be combined for competition event groups.
The same rules and limitations apply as for Solo Spotlight events. Props are not allowed on the event Warm-Up. If it is obvious that skater’s prop does not meet the following specifications, the panel Referee can determine if any point deduction should be taken.

Choice of One:
1. Hoop - Must be made from wood or plastic (from a rigid, non-bending material). The hoop diameter should measure between 2 feet 7 inches - 2 feet 11 inches.
2. Ball - Must be made of rubber or plastic. The ball diameter should measure approximately 7-3/4 inches.
3. Ribbon - Stick must be made of wood, plastic or fiberglass. Stick length should be between 20-30 inches. Ribbon material should be one single piece of satin or a non-starched fabric. Ribbon width should be 2-4 inches wide and between 6 feet - 9 feet long.

Rhythmic Program Duration:
FS1-FS3 = 1 min.
FS4-FS5 = 1.5 min.
FS6-FS10 = 2 min.

*RHYTHMIC SKATING EVENT CLARIFICATION
The new Rhythmic Skating events are for skaters in Freestyle 1-10 levels only. The skater chooses only one rhythmic prop per routine (ball, hoop or ribbon) and must maintain control of the prop at all times throughout the program. This means the prop must be used by the skater throughout the routine. It can be thrown, bounced or juggled but control should be maintained. The prop should not be put down on the ice while the skater does jumps & spins. No additional props are permitted.

Skaters must follow the maneuver limitations as for Spotlight events – Freestyle 1-4 skaters can do maneuvers from Freestyle 4 and below and Freestyle 5-10 skaters can do any skating maneuvers.

This looks like fun!

Isk8NYC
11-14-2008, 01:47 PM
Found some older threads and merged them together.

Very interesting event.

katz in boots
11-15-2008, 01:46 AM

I wonder if it was the Russian skater Oxana Anitchkina? If so, she most certainly does jump & spin!
She is a show skater on cruise ships etc, and now lives in our state and coaches at our rink. I've seen her practising her hoop routine, amazing. I don't know if I can make the link work, but if you cut & paste this address into your address bit, some of her hoop routine is featured.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_ckpeJX0qo