View Full Version : An 2009?

mantysk8er
04-02-2008, 07:40 PM
Has there been an announcement yet as to where Adult Nationals are going to be next year? Have I just missed it?

Not competing this year, but I swear that I knew that it was Lake Placid this year, BEFORE AN's in Chicago last year.

If not...any day now, right?

coskater64
04-02-2008, 07:44 PM
They might announce it at GC but I don't know we usually don't know this far out...:halo:

TimDavidSkate
04-02-2008, 07:52 PM
maybe they'll have posters next week around the arena...

manleywoman
04-02-2008, 08:06 PM
They might announce it at GC but I don't know we usually don't know this far out...:halo:

Actually we usually do know this far out. We know Chicago got it many months ahead of the Dallas 2006 ANs, and even had enough time to put an ad in the Dallas program. This year it just seems to be taking longer to announce.

Stormy
04-02-2008, 08:06 PM
I know Grand Rapids is bidding on it. They'll probably have it announced by Governing Council.

coskater64
04-02-2008, 09:43 PM
I heard a rumor that Detroit was also bidding on it...sometimes we do know in advance other times...not so much. :oops:

Why would they have posters at AN? The decision is made at GC not by the adult skaters...:?: (decision is made by US figure skating and then approved at GC)

Terri C
04-03-2008, 05:08 AM
Has there been an announcement yet as to where Adult Nationals are going to be next year? Have I just missed it?

Not competing this year, but I swear that I knew that it was Lake Placid this year, BEFORE AN's in Chicago last year.

If not...any day now, right?

I did some research on the thread regarding this and it was last February that the word got out regarding LP.
So... c'mon we're all gonna find out somehow.

MusicSkateFan
04-03-2008, 06:54 AM
I highly doubt Detroit would do it. They are the only club bidding for Senior Nationals 2010. I dont think the club would want to do a large competition the year before a Senior Nationals.

looplover
04-03-2008, 07:59 AM
I'm very eager to find out this information! I am determined to go!!

*crosses fingers that it'll be somewhere I want to go - Florida, San Francisco, or somewhere within easy driving distance of NC*

flying~camel
04-03-2008, 09:45 AM
The bids aren't due to USFS until next week, so we probably won't find out until after Governing Council.

Mel On Ice
04-03-2008, 11:16 AM
and bid packets were not given out until late Feb/early March.

vesperholly
04-03-2008, 11:41 AM
I know Grand Rapids is bidding on it. They'll probably have it announced by Governing Council.
Ooh, yes please! It's so much easier for me to attend these events when they're within driving distance.

Grand Rapids is quite a ways away from Detroit, BTW.

Mel On Ice
04-03-2008, 11:44 AM
Ooh, yes please! It's so much easier for me to attend these events when they're within driving distance.

Grand Rapids is quite a ways away from Detroit, BTW.

just 2 1/2 - 3 hours, depending on how quickly you can move on 96

Stormy
04-03-2008, 05:13 PM
Ugh, I went to Grand Rapids for synchro nationals a couple years ago. It was ok, but there really wasn't anything to do and it was cold and dreary the whole time I was there. Isn't there ANY clubs in Florida or So Cal who want AN? :D

MusicSkateFan
04-03-2008, 06:00 PM
I still am waiting for the perfect AN in VEGAS!!!!!!!!!

Black Sheep
04-03-2008, 06:35 PM

Me, too!!!! Me, too!!!! :mrgreen:

Terri C
04-03-2008, 06:36 PM
I think I figured out a deciding factor here.
There is a RFA for GC that would pilot offering solo dance events at AN 09 and AN 10. Given that AN is for the most part a week long event already, how much more competition time would it require?

techskater
04-03-2008, 06:37 PM
You never know - I heard the same rumor about Detroit bidding. it does make good profit which could help them get Senior nationals from a preparation experience and help the cash flow in advance!

I am hoping GGR gets it, though!!

looplover
04-03-2008, 07:02 PM

OMG. That would be the best ever:mrgreen: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :mrgreen: :halo:

vesperholly
04-03-2008, 07:37 PM
I think I figured out a deciding factor here.
There is a RFA for GC that would pilot offering solo dance events at AN 09 and AN 10. Given that AN is for the most part a week long event already, how much more competition time would it require?
The schedule for this year had competitive events starting on Wednesday and ending Saturday - four days. Granted, LP has 3 (?) rinks, so that greatly enhances their ability to compress the event. But depending on the draw for solo dance, I can't imagine it adding an insane amount of time. Apparently, the adult committee thinks it's feasible if they're proposing it.

I personally am excited - I love solo dance! :mrgreen:

jazzpants
04-03-2008, 07:52 PM
VEGAS, BABY!!! :bow: :bow: :bow: I would gladly leave my DH home for this AN. You know what they say... what happens in Vegas... ;)

Seriously, I put my (virtual) money on GGR getting the bid for 2009... and they would have gotten it this year if it wasn't for.... Lake Placid!!! :P (Seems Lake Placid almost always trumps all unless the previous one is already on the Eastern section.)

Me? I still hope for either my neck of the woods or Hackensack. But FAT CHANCE though given the rate for private ice. :roll:

Mel On Ice
04-03-2008, 09:07 PM
Ugh, I went to Grand Rapids for synchro nationals a couple years ago. It was ok, but there really wasn't anything to do and it was cold and dreary the whole time I was there.

By time AN comes around, the weather will be nicer, the minor league baseball team will be playing, weekend festival time will be gearing up, the new art museum just recently opened, you are a short drive from the lakeshore, and... well, I throw a great party.

flying~camel
04-03-2008, 09:11 PM
By time AN comes around, the weather will be nicer, the minor league baseball team will be playing, weekend festival time will be gearing up, the new art museum just recently opened, you are a short drive from the lakeshore, and... well, I throw a great party.

You've got that right! Plus, the AN competition arena is in a much busier part of GR than where Synchro Nats were, so there will be more to do.

sk8er1964
04-03-2008, 09:19 PM
Ugh, I went to Grand Rapids for synchro nationals a couple years ago. It was ok, but there really wasn't anything to do and it was cold and dreary the whole time I was there. Isn't there ANY clubs in Florida or So Cal who want AN? :D

Grand Rapids in a very nice town. I've only been there for hockey games/tournaments and one Republican state convention, but every time I go there the people are extremely friendly. It's convenient, has several rinks in the area, and a very enthuastic and dedicated adult skating community. If you want scenery, Lake Michigan is a hop, skip and an jump away - and Chicago or Michigan's capital of Lansing (the capital building is beautiful) is an easy drive away.

Mrs Redboots
04-04-2008, 02:16 AM
Me? I still hope for either my neck of the woods or Hackensack. But FAT CHANCE though given the rate for private ice. :roll:
It was exactly ten years ago that it was in your neck of the woods - at Oakland and Berkeley! I was there to watch, with a couple of skating friends from London, and a couple of skaters from Australia joined us to see what adult skating was all about.

I still have the T-shirt I bought as a souvenir of the occasion, and occasionally wear it at summer competitions!

LWalsh
04-04-2008, 06:53 AM

From what I heard at Eastern Sectionals, (if it's true) Hackensack does in fact have a bid in for next year. It would make it twice on the east coast but we just had two in the midwest. Also Newark is a really easy airport to fly to. So maybe there's still hope!

LW

looplover
04-04-2008, 07:32 AM
From what I heard at Eastern Sectionals, (if it's true) Hackensack does in fact have a bid in for next year. It would make it twice on the east coast but we just had two in the midwest. Also Newark is a really easy airport to fly to. So maybe there's still hope!

LW

Oh, Hackensack would be fabulous! I'd have a lot of friend and family support since I'm from that area. Of course, that could totally mess me up as well and I'd be more nervous! hm

Kim to the Max
04-04-2008, 07:34 AM
Grand Rapids in a very nice town. I've only been there for hockey games/tournaments and one Republican state convention, but every time I go there the people are extremely friendly. It's convenient, has several rinks in the area, and a very enthuastic and dedicated adult skating community. If you want scenery, Lake Michigan is a hop, skip and an jump away - and Chicago or Michigan's capital of Lansing (the capital building is beautiful) is an easy drive away.

Having done my graduate work in Allendale (about 25 minutes or so outside of downtown GR), I can say that there is a good amount to do....between Grand Haven (town on the lake) and Grand Rapids, you should be able to find things to keep you occupied for a weekend. Plus, some of my favorite bars are there....Z's, Mojos Dueling Piano Bar, J Gardella's, Black Rose Irish Pub.....hmmmm....I guess that doesn't give a good impression on what we did in grad school, does it? :roll:

flying~camel
04-04-2008, 08:13 AM
Having done my graduate work in Allendale (about 25 minutes or so outside of downtown GR), I can say that there is a good amount to do....between Grand Haven (town on the lake) and Grand Rapids, you should be able to find things to keep you occupied for a weekend. Plus, some of my favorite bars are there....Z's, Mojos Dueling Piano Bar, J Gardella's, Black Rose Irish Pub.....hmmmm....I guess that doesn't give a good impression on what we did in grad school, does it? :roll:

Ah, a fellow GVSUer! ;)

Those are definitely some great bars and there is a new one downtown called Hop Cat is that really awesome, too!

Terri C
04-04-2008, 08:32 AM

LW

After my experience with Continental Airlines and Newark on my flight home from Easterns, it's a safe bet I'll drive to AN if it's at the Hack.
And if the Hack does get the bid,it'd be a good selling point for their camp in June.

jazzpants
04-04-2008, 02:23 PM
From what I heard at Eastern Sectionals, (if it's true) Hackensack does in fact have a bid in for next year. It would make it twice on the east coast but we just had two in the midwest. Also Newark is a really easy airport to fly to. So maybe there's still hope!Oh... FRANK-KAAAAY???? :P Is this true or not??? (Oh, never mind! He's not on here much now!!! :roll: )

Here's my reasoning behind the fact that the Hack probably won't get it. (Of course, I'm hypothesizing....)

The one other club in my neck of the woods that has the capacity to hold Adults Nationals (besides St. Moritz) did scope out that option, but according to USFSA, it's too expensive a rink to hold an event like this. And I did read the amount (on the Hack's website) to rent a patch of ice. It's MORE expensive than said rink. 8O USFSA is trying to continue to be a self-substaining organization... and with us going into a recession, there's not that much money going into *anything* these days,

Based on that reasoning, I seriously think it's likely to be either at GGR or Detroit mainly b/c of the cost to rent out the ice patch. Since GGR was the other running contenter from last year, I think it has a better chance at it than Detriot...

techskater
04-04-2008, 04:57 PM

Agreed to all of that! I love GRO every June and you do throw a great party! :bow:

LWalsh
04-04-2008, 06:26 PM
. And I did read the amount (on the Hack's website) to rent a patch of ice. It's MORE expensive than said rink. .

Yes, but just because that's the published price on their website doesn't mean that the rink won't sell the ice at any other rate. Hockey nationals (or whatever they are called) are going on there this week. I'm sure they negotiated a better price to bring in that sort of event.

jazzpants
04-04-2008, 06:39 PM
Yes, but just because that's the published price on their website doesn't mean that the rink won't sell the ice at any other rate. Hockey nationals (or whatever they are called) are going on there this week. I'm sure they negotiated a better price to bring in that sort of event.True! Then again, hockey has been drilled to my head as being more profitable than figure skating :roll: ... so I would think that they're better able to afford the ice time than the figure skaters can. But that's just me...

I hope it's at the Hack though. I really do... (My in-laws would love to see me skate LIVE at a comp with full makeup glam and all... and if I can't afford having my primary coach's travel costs (which is NOT fun this year since it's just me and one other person :cry: ), I can have my NYC coach put me out... much cheaper!!! :mrgreen: )

lovepairs
04-05-2008, 06:20 AM
Heard that Ice Works, Aston, PA, was putting a bid in for the next Adult National Championships.

TimDavidSkate
04-22-2008, 11:13 AM
So we have bids from:

IceWorks - Aston, PA

IceHouse - Hackensack, NJ

Grand Rapids Mich.

Anywhere else?

Hannahclear
04-22-2008, 11:34 AM
Go East Coast!

jazzpants
04-22-2008, 11:42 AM
Just a rumor: Detroit, MI

(I personally think that Grand Rapids is gonna win the bid though. Not complaining though, since the group there this year was a FUN bunch!!! :mrgreen: :lol: )

Hannahclear
04-22-2008, 11:48 AM
I used to live in Michigan and I'm not eager to return. Plus, I'd have to fly. But I suppose Grand Rapids wouldn't be that expensive a flight.

jazzpants
04-22-2008, 12:46 PM
I used to live in Michigan and I'm not eager to return. Plus, I'd have to fly. But I suppose Grand Rapids wouldn't be that expensive a flight.Yeah, me too on the $$$ part. Then again, unless a club in the Pacific Coast successfully makes a bid for AN 2009, fat chance I will ever see a cheap flight. (CHEAPER flight, yes, but not CHEAP flight...)

And since doubletoe isn't here, I'll pretend I'm her and gripe about how us West Coast people have to adjust to the time change for her! LOL!!! :twisted: :lol: :P (And for the record, it took me over a week to get over the jet leg and of course, the whole competition thing, for this one...)

techskater
04-22-2008, 07:08 PM
Jazz - find a club that can bid competitively on the left coast and we'll come out. I have family in WA and college friends in your neck of the woods.

Terri C
04-22-2008, 07:17 PM
Hey once I take and pass the Bronze freestyle test in a few weeks, I don't care where AN is going to be- I will be there!!
But I would not object to a trip out West.

mantysk8er
04-22-2008, 08:43 PM
I can't believe this years AN is over, and we still don't know where next years is going to be!

And on a selfish note...go Grand Rapids!

jazzpants
04-23-2008, 12:25 AM
Jazz - find a club that can bid competitively on the left coast and we'll come out. I have family in WA and college friends in your neck of the woods.
Yeah, I know. I know... It's really too bad that the one skating club that has access to a 3-4 sheet ice rink couldn't come up with a competitive bid. It's WAAAAAY too expensive to rent the ice at San Jose Ice Center. :(

I LOVE LAKE PLACID... but my wallet sure as heck didn't. 8O Grand Rapids would be interesting to see, as in Detroit (MOTOWN!!! :mrgreen: ) I know nothing about Aston, PA to say much. But I still hope that THE HACK will get the bid, if nothing else, I want White Manna burgers!!! :twisted: :yum: (Frank, if the Hack gets the bid, could we get them to cater the AN competitor's party??? :mrgreen: :P :lol: :yum: :oops:)

RachelSk8er
04-23-2008, 07:35 AM
I can't believe this years AN is over, and we still don't know where next years is going to be!

And on a selfish note...go Grand Rapids!

I'm hoping for Grand Rapids, too. It would allow me to drive up at the last minute and not have to miss as many classes (and load the car up with super fun law books to take with me to ANs with the intention of studying while I'm there...which I won't but at least the intent is there!)

flying~camel
04-23-2008, 09:46 AM
I'm hoping GR gets the bid, too but, I'm biased since I live here and I'm a bid committee/LOC co-chair ;)

Black Sheep
04-23-2008, 10:11 AM
I'm hoping GR gets the bid, too but, I'm biased since I live here and I'm a bid committee/LOC co-chair ;)

Me, too. I'd love to have the next AN to be one I can drive to! ;)

sk8er1964
04-23-2008, 10:40 AM
Me three! :D

manleywoman
04-23-2008, 10:51 AM
I'd be happy with either MI or PA/NJ.

Michigan is driving distance. Philly is where my parents are. Win-win for me!

FrankR
04-23-2008, 11:30 AM
Me, too. I'd love to have the next AN to be one I can drive to! ;)

Well, I'm a board member and membership chair for American Academy FSC at Ice House and I prepared the bid package along with the skating school director and my coach. I'd love to see us get the bid. However, I can completely understand everybody wanting to get AN within driving distance. I can tell you that my wallet is thanking me profusely at the moment. Adult Easterns were right in my own back yard in Wayne, NJ this year and Nationals were in Lake Placid which was a five hour drive away. Not having to worry about air fare was wonderful. :)

I think it's great that so many clubs bid this year. I wish all the other bidding clubs luck in getting the nod from USFS. No matter who gets the bid, I'm sure next year's AN will be great. Joanna, if we get the bid, I'll see what I can do about the White Manna burgers. :mrgreen::lol:

TimDavidSkate
04-23-2008, 12:16 PM
I'm wondering whats the nearest airport everybody traveled to when AN was held at Ann Arbor. :halo:

Thanks

silverbeetle
04-23-2008, 12:57 PM
You should fly into Detroit if AN is in Ann Arbor. They're very close to one another.

Silverbeetle

sk8er1964
04-23-2008, 01:47 PM
I'm wondering whats the nearest airport everybody traveled to when AN was held at Ann Arbor. :halo:

Thanks

Just making things clear - Ann Arbor did not bid for 09 AN. Silverbeetle is correct on the nearest airport :)

Grand Rapids has it's own major airport, BTW, named after President Ford, I believe.

flying~camel
04-23-2008, 02:10 PM
Grand Rapids has it's own major airport, BTW, named after President Ford, I believe.

Yup, it is the Gerald R. Ford International Airport and is a straight 2.5 miles down the road from the rink ;)

TimDavidSkate
04-23-2008, 03:05 PM
Thanks y'all - just preparing for next year already :halo: Its my OCD kicking in.

looplover
04-23-2008, 03:08 PM
Joanna, if we get the bid, I'll see what I can do about the White Manna burgers. :mrgreen::lol:

Hey Frank - can you add in fries with gravy from Hot Grill in Clifton? I truly feel that this food would further the cause of adult skating!!! (I dunno, I'm reaching here) :mrgreen:

starskate6.0
04-23-2008, 03:52 PM
Heard that Ice Works, Aston, PA, was putting a bid in for the next Adult National Championships.

Hey Love

I heard this too but not from anyone at the rink , in fact nobody has said a word to me about it and you know Im at the rink 3 hours a day most day's and one of the only Adults there in the middle of the day and nobody has said a word.. Im thinking its a mith..:(

FrankR
04-23-2008, 04:40 PM
Hey Frank - can you add in fries with gravy from Hot Grill in Clifton? I truly feel that this food would further the cause of adult skating!!! (I dunno, I'm reaching here) :mrgreen:

I'm all for the tasty food as well. :lol: If we get the bid, I'll keep all of this in mind when catering the competitors' social event. :mrgreen:

sk8er1964
04-23-2008, 07:57 PM
Yup, it is the Gerald R. Ford International Airport and is a straight 2.5 miles down the road from the rink ;)

So you'd be using the rink by the Hilton? Patterson, isn't it called? It's a nice facility - my son has played hockey there a few times.

flying~camel
04-23-2008, 07:59 PM
So you'd be using the rink by the Hilton? Patterson, isn't it called? It's a nice facility - my son has played hockey there a few times.

Yup, Patterson Ice Center.

jazzpants
04-23-2008, 08:06 PM
So f~c, Mel On Ice and all you guys over there in GGR...what a good place for me to screw up my diet over there for this foodie? (Yes, a GOOD BURGER is usually best for me... but I'll settle for 1) really good Italian and 2) SOUTHERN FRIED CHICKEN (with all the spices!!! :lol: )

Mel On Ice
04-23-2008, 08:27 PM
Italian = Pietros
Mexican = Maggie's Kitchen
burger = Choo Choo Grill or The Cottage
local beer = Grand Rapids Brewing Co.
bloody mary = Rose's in EGR
breakfast = The Omlette Shoppe
sushi = Alpine Teriyaki and Sushi or Toyko Grill
fine dining = Bostwick Lake Inn or Blue Water Grill are places I've been to. The 1913 Room is the only 5 star in Michigan.

bar scene = The BOB downtown
alternative entertainment 1 = West Michigan Whitecaps baseball
alternative entertainment 2 = PM me for details :halo:
getaway day = walk the beach in Grand Haven and have a bite at the Kirby Grill

Hm. If we get the bid f~c, I may need my own page...

Stormy
04-23-2008, 08:33 PM
I'm getting SO antsy...I just wanna KNOOOOOOOOOOW where it's gonna be! :lol:

looplover
04-23-2008, 08:39 PM
I'm getting SO antsy...I just wanna KNOOOOOOOOOOW where it's gonna be! :lol:

I know, I can't even stand it. I've started saving for this (it may take the full year to afford it).

flying~camel
04-23-2008, 09:04 PM
Italian = Pietros
Mexican = Maggie's Kitchen
burger = Choo Choo Grill or The Cottage
local beer = Grand Rapids Brewing Co.
bloody mary = Rose's in EGR
breakfast = The Omlette Shoppe
sushi = Alpine Teriyaki and Sushi or Toyko Grill
fine dining = Bostwick Lake Inn or Blue Water Grill are places I've been to. The 1913 Room is the only 5 star in Michigan.

bar scene = The BOB downtown
alternative entertainment 1 = West Michigan Whitecaps baseball
alternative entertainment 2 = PM me for details :halo:
getaway day = walk the beach in Grand Haven and have a bite at the Kirby Grill

Hm. If we get the bid f~c, I may need my own page...

Those are all good suggestions, but you forgot the Hop Cat and the Black Rose for the downtown bar scene ;)

Kim to the Max
04-23-2008, 09:10 PM
Those are all good suggestions, but you forgot the Hop Cat and the Black Rose for the downtown bar scene ;)

Oh the black rose....I also enjoy Z's for a sport's bar type place (we were there EVERY Thursday in grad school...parked at the downtown GVSU campus and walked over...how fun were those walks back some nights...hehehehe)...mojo's dueling piano bar, and J. Gardella's....so many choices! How I miss it....not sooooo much, but choices of laid back bars are always good....

Mel On Ice
04-23-2008, 09:19 PM
I didn't mention Hop Cat because I wanted all the raspberry lambic to myself.

mikawendy
04-23-2008, 10:18 PM

Mmmmm, raspberry lambic! One time, DH and I went to a local restaurant/brewpub in our town for a "beer dinner"--tastings paired with small plates of food. They were supposed to only do 3-ounce pours, but it was much more generous. The best pairing was a sour cherry lambic and a raspberry sorbet. When they told us we'd have beer with our sorbet, we all thought they were crazy, but it tasted sensational.

I would only recommend that kind of repast for AFTER one skates, unless really desiring to put the interpretive in interpretive skating! :lol:

vesperholly
04-23-2008, 11:42 PM
I keep telling my club in suburban Buffalo to bid on ANs. We have a four-rink facility, and there's nothing going on in April (we hosted Junior Nationals years ago at the same time). Some of the board members seem receptive to it, but I think they don't even think twice about it, because there are only a handful of adult skaters around here and they don't know anything about adult skating.

Buffalo is nice in April, and you can visit Niagara Falls. :)

herniated
04-24-2008, 06:56 AM
I keep telling my club in suburban Buffalo to bid on ANs. We have a four-rink facility, and there's nothing going on in April (we hosted Junior Nationals years ago at the same time). Some of the board members seem receptive to it, but I think they don't even think twice about it, because there are only a handful of adult skaters around here and they don't know anything about adult skating.

I'd go!!!!!!!!!!

flying~camel
04-24-2008, 07:03 AM

We made an overnight visit to Niagara Falls on our way to Lake Placid this year ;)

Mel On Ice
04-24-2008, 10:45 AM
not to mention a meandering visit to the Starbucks on the campus of University at Buffalo. Thanks British navigational system lady!

vesperholly
04-24-2008, 01:54 PM
not to mention a meandering visit to the Starbucks on the campus of University at Buffalo. Thanks British navigational system lady!
Oh lord! :lol: There's a Starbucks right off the 290 on Niagara Falls Boulevard, directly on the way to the Falls. Silly GPS!

MusicSkateFan
04-24-2008, 05:38 PM
The WNY Figure Skating club was sooo nice to me last summer when I was in Buffalo for about a week. Several rinks were shut down or had summer camps and were not having open freestyles. The WNY club president actually called me on my cell, allowed me to walk on to a few sessions during their camp and made sure I knew how to get to the other rink where they were skating that week! I was very grateful and said that I would return!

If they could get that 4 rink facility...it would be a convenient place to have Nats. Isn't there a Duffs near there too?(good wings!)

lovepairs
04-24-2008, 06:49 PM
Hey Love

I heard this too but not from anyone at the rink , in fact nobody has said a word to me about it and you know Im at the rink 3 hours a day most day's and one of the only Adults there in the middle of the day and nobody has said a word.. Im thinking its a mith..:(

Hi Star,

Actually, several months ago, Lisa mentioned it to me. I might have gotten the years wrong though. I seem to recollect that she said 2010, or 2011? Anyway, Ice Works, would be ideal for an Adult Nationals, don't ya think? At least, there they cut the ice! :bow:

Isk8NYC
04-24-2008, 07:51 PM
Okay, I've been waiting for someone else to ask, but no one did.

What's a "raspberry lambic?"

vesperholly
04-24-2008, 09:47 PM
If they could get that 4 rink facility...it would be a convenient place to have Nats. Isn't there a Duffs near there too?(good wings!)
The Amherst Pepsi Center is only affiliated with Amherst SC.

Mel On Ice
04-24-2008, 09:54 PM
Okay, I've been waiting for someone else to ask, but no one did.

What's a "raspberry lambic?"

http://mdv-beer.com/images/brewery_art/lindeman_art/lind_framboise_bott.gif

History
Long before hops were common in most beers, various fruits and vegetables were used to season beers. The acidity of Lambic beers blends perfectly with raspberries.

Taste
Magnificent aroma, delicate palate of raspberries with undertones of fruity acidity; elegant, sparkling clean natural taste. Style—Raspberry Lambic. Color—Rose.

Serving Suggestions
Chocolate desserts (especially chocolate decadence), fresh raspberries, ice cream with a raspberry demi-glaze sauce, créme caramel, baked Alaska, Olympia oysters, caviar. Serve in flute-shaped Lambic glasses at 45 degrees.

flo
04-25-2008, 09:08 AM
Love it, I pick it up here quite often.

NoVa Sk8r
04-25-2008, 10:55 AM
I love the Kriek as well!

When I went to Belgium a few months ago, the first thing I did was get a lambic--with some moules et frites, of course! :yum:8-)

climbsk8
04-25-2008, 01:49 PM
Isn't this great? Those little kiddie skaters NEVER get into discussions about the world's finer brewed beverages on *their* discussion boards!

It makes me glad that I waited to start skating (sniff, sniff)

I miss you guys already ...

Stormy
04-27-2008, 12:27 PM
Well, if we don't get an announcement this week, a lady from my club is going to Governing Council and she's under strict instructions to call me the second she finds out the location for 09 ANs. :)

mdvask8r
04-27-2008, 12:49 PM
We should hear in something on Wednesday.
Here are the dates listed in the bid package:

APPLICATION PROCESS:
Feb. 21, 2008 – Bid Information made available to interested clubs/cities
April 9, 2008 – Completed bid packages and applications with required documentation due
April 14-24, 2008 – U.S. Figure Skating reviews finalist bid clubs/cities.
April 30, 2008 – Announcement of club and city selected to host the 2009 U.S. Adult
Championships

Mel On Ice
04-28-2008, 08:38 AM
Isn't this great? Those little kiddie skaters NEVER get into discussions about the world's finer brewed beverages on *their* discussion boards!

kids don't get nips, candy and live humans thrown on the ice after skating either!

Let's remember to drink and skate responsibly...

jazzpants
04-28-2008, 12:10 PM
kids don't get nips, candy and live humans thrown on the ice after skating either!

Let's remember to drink and skate responsibly...Never mind live humans CARRYING said nips... :twisted: :lol: :P

techskater
04-28-2008, 05:33 PM

The question only remains to that:
in what order? :)

Skittl1321
04-28-2008, 05:36 PM

Ewww- do kids get non-live humans thrown out? Glad I'm not a kid :lol::lol:

SkaterBird
04-28-2008, 05:43 PM
The question only remains to that:
in what order? :)

Depends on what I am out there trying to do! :twisted:

Mrs Redboots
04-29-2008, 05:11 AM
Ewww- do kids get non-live humans thrown out? Glad I'm not a kid :lol::lol:

:lol: ROTFLOL! Now I have the giggles - it's just as well there's nobody else here....

TimDavidSkate
04-30-2008, 07:39 AM
We should hear in something on Wednesday.
Here are the dates listed in the bid package:

APPLICATION PROCESS:
Feb. 21, 2008 – Bid Information made available to interested clubs/cities
April 9, 2008 – Completed bid packages and applications with required documentation due
April 14-24, 2008 – U.S. Figure Skating reviews finalist bid clubs/cities.
April 30, 2008 – Announcement of club and city selected to host the 2009 U.S. Adult
Championships

So today is the day :D

icesk8r96
04-30-2008, 11:06 AM
Any news yet? I am dying to know where it is going to be. lol

The suspense is killing me! lol

I hope it will be in Aston Pa. They are very capable of holding huge competitions , they already do Liberty and they will be doing South Atlantics again this year.
It is also a very nice facility.

Someone please post if you hear anything

looplover
04-30-2008, 11:21 AM
*obsessively hits refresh hoping for news*

:twisted::mrgreen:

phoenix
04-30-2008, 11:23 AM
Remember it's only 10:30 am there---we probably won't hear anything till the end of the day when people are out of the meeting & can report in....

manleywoman
04-30-2008, 11:36 AM
I feel a bit trepidatious for whichever club gets it. Less than a year to prepare is doable, but tight!

TimDavidSkate
04-30-2008, 11:53 AM
maybe they'll text :halo: :D

icesk8r96
04-30-2008, 12:07 PM
I hope it is soon!

I keep checking every hour or so. I tried passing time by watching some of my friends programs I missed at AN. Still the time is going snail speed.

Terri C
04-30-2008, 04:24 PM
It's almost 5:30 pm here in the East and still nothing.
I would not be surprised if the announcement didn't come today- it seems that USFS is always late with everything. :roll:

Black Sheep
04-30-2008, 05:40 PM
Where on the USFSA site would they post it? Will it be front-page news? :D

flying~camel
04-30-2008, 07:23 PM
I can officially confirm that AN 09 WILL be in Grand Rapids, MI on April 22-25, 2009!! :D

badaxel
04-30-2008, 07:29 PM
Thanks, F-C!!! I can't believe it's so late in April! I was really hoping for the week of the 6-10, when I have spring break. I hope I can go!!!!!

herniated
04-30-2008, 07:30 PM
Probably won't go unless it's my kid's school break. Oh Well.

Terri C
04-30-2008, 07:31 PM
Congrats, flying camel, Mel on Ice, dee, et al!!
Now to run to my local wine store for raspberry lambic. I got confirmation that it is sold here in Virginia. I'm having a beer bet with my coaches for my Bronze free test in two weeks!

sk8er1964
04-30-2008, 07:34 PM
Wheee!!!!! Congrats, ladies! :mrgreen:

I'm doing a little happy dance here. :lol:

jazzpants
04-30-2008, 07:34 PM
I KNEW IT!!! I KNEW GRAND RAPIDS would get the bid!!! It was only a matter of time...

Congrats, f~c, Mel On Ice, and the rest of your guys in Greater Grand Rapids!!! :bow: :bow: :bow:

(Now to start looking at airfares to see what I'd have to do to afford this trip... Doesn't mean that I'll go in AN 09, but I'll try my darnest to be there!!!)

NoVa Sk8r
04-30-2008, 07:35 PM
Now to run to my local wine store for raspberry lambic. I got confirmation that it is sold here in Virginia.It's also sold at the grocery store (go to Harris Teeter!). 8-)

sk8er1964
04-30-2008, 07:39 PM
Congrats, f~c, Mel On Ice, and the rest of your guys in Greater Grand Rapids!!! :bow: :bow: :bow:

(Now to start looking at airfares to see what I'd have to do to afford this trip... Doesn't mean that I'll go in AN 09, but I'll try my darnest to be there!!!)

You HAVE to come, because I didn't get a chance to meet you in Lake Placid!

vesperholly
04-30-2008, 07:42 PM
Awesome, I can drive there!!! :mrgreen: I'll be there!

Any word on where Sectionals are being held?

looplover
04-30-2008, 07:45 PM
I can't drive there but I'm going to have some lambic soon as part of my pre-AN 2009 preparations! :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

I am sorry you guys won't get the fries with gravy from Hot Grill in NJ, though....

(I'm a little relieved that it won't be in Hackensack. I think it would have made me nervous to have virtually everyone I know in the stands...I don't know anyone in Grand Rapids)

flying~camel
04-30-2008, 07:46 PM
Thanks, F-C!!! I can't believe it's so late in April! I was really hoping for the week of the 6-10, when I have spring break. I hope I can go!!!!!

USFS asked us to hold it that week. Not sure why, though.

flying~camel
04-30-2008, 07:48 PM
Thanks for the congrats, everyone!

I'm going to start developing the web site post-haste and, barring any unforeseen craziness in my life, I hope to have it up by the end of the month, possibly sooner.

Mel On Ice
04-30-2008, 07:49 PM
holiday conflicts with Easter and Passover.

I hope we throw a great party.

flying~camel
04-30-2008, 07:55 PM
holiday conflicts with Easter and Passover.

I hope we throw a great party.

Oh yeah, that's right. Duh!

And of course we're gonna throw a great party - we're West Michigan! ;)

Hannahclear
04-30-2008, 08:11 PM
I think that may be my vacation week, but I'm not sure. Now, I just have to work on that plane phobia. I'd really like to go. Planning a kid in the near future, so I need to get these experiences in!

manleywoman
04-30-2008, 08:22 PM
Thanks for the congrats, everyone!

I'm going to start developing the web site post-haste and, barring any unforeseen craziness in my life, I hope to have it up by the end of the month, possibly sooner.

Let me know if you want any help on the type of info that's useful on there. :D i still have the Chicago files (I think).

And congrats!

sk8er1964
04-30-2008, 08:38 PM
Awesome, I can drive there!!! :mrgreen: I'll be there!

Any word on where Sectionals are being held?

I've heard about interest from a Cleveland area club, but nothing firm. We won't know sectionals for a long time.

AdultPairSkater
04-30-2008, 09:29 PM
:D

Hi all :) You GGR folks must be very excited, but also nervous and hopeful. Congratulations!

I am very pleased for my friends in West Michigan!!!! I look forward to it, and because it is later than normal this year, my birthday will be the second day of the competition, the 23rd. That's never happened before!

Wow. This is potentially a very special AN coming up! I plan on going. Who will help me celebrate my birthday? Never having visited before, I will be open to all suggestions.

Cheers!

Larry

coskater64
04-30-2008, 09:36 PM
I actually heard this from a person who would know at GC today, they did have to move it back a week because it conflicted with the holidays. I still think there are a few t's and i's that need to be dotted and crossed but yes it is grand rapids.

Black Sheep
04-30-2008, 10:23 PM
I can officially confirm that AN 09 WILL be in Grand Rapids, MI on April 22-25, 2009!! :D

That's only a 3-hour drive from my house. I'm so freakin' there! :D:halo:

jazzpants
05-01-2008, 02:31 AM
Wow. This is potentially a very special AN coming up! I plan on going. Who will help me celebrate my birthday? Never having visited before, I will be open to all suggestions.Please ping an invite for your b-day party!!! Barring any strange circumstance, I will be there for your b-day party!!! :mrgreen:

And of course we're gonna throw a great party - we're West Michigan! ;)Yes, I for one sure as heck *know* you guys throw a great party!!! I already knew that from seeing how you guys are cheering in the stand for the judges, the music guy, the announcer..." at Lake Placid!!! :lol: "Go Judges!!! Go Judges!!!" (Tee hee hee... that was fun!!! We should do it again!!!)

(I'm a little relieved that it won't be in Hackensack. I think it would have made me nervous to have virtually everyone I know in the stands...I don't know anyone in Grand Rapids)Neither do I... and now thinking about it, I'm kinda glad that it's NOT at the Hack!!! I realized that I would get into a tough spot with my in-laws and that's the LAST thing I need to deal with. :roll:

You HAVE to come, because I didn't get a chance to meet you in Lake Placid!I plan on going, sk8er1964!!! (See my other thread about deciding what to do for this year...) So work hard... and I will definitely make a point of looking out for 'ya at GR!!!

Probably won't go unless it's my kid's school break. Oh Well.Oh, drat!!! And I didn't get to meet you this year... :(

Terri C: You BETTER pass your test on May 14th!!! I want a roommate at a nearby hotel to the rink!!! :twisted: Also, there IS a bottle of champagne chilling for 'ya. And I'll get an extra bottle to share with the GR crew... just b/c... ;)

Manleywoman: Will you be at AN 2009? Or will you be too busy with your new baby???

TimDavidSkate
05-01-2008, 07:32 AM
I'm glad that we already know the host site and the date for AN.

I was just curious, is it too early to ask where Adult Eastern Sectionals will be? or who are the current bidders :halo:

sexyskates
05-01-2008, 07:36 AM
Larry, I'll help celebrate your B-Day at AN! I competed at Eastern Sectionals this year on my birthday and skated really well. I was so relaxed enjoying my day (skating and great people, what could be better?), that the judges gave me 4 gold medals and silver! So, I wish you the same good karma for your special day at AN2009!

RachelSk8er
05-01-2008, 08:02 AM
CRAP! That's the last week of class before finals :cry::cry: Hope I can still go.

icesk8r96
05-01-2008, 08:18 AM
Congratulations West Michigan Crew! I am so happy for you guys. It will be nice to skate on your home turf.
I know you guys really wanted this.
Way to go!

Figureskates
05-01-2008, 08:25 AM
Might have to make the trip..I am sure they can always use volunteers...

Mel On Ice
05-01-2008, 08:26 AM
Might have to make the trip..I am sure they can always use volunteers...

yes please!

FrankR
05-01-2008, 08:43 AM

Congratulations! Best of luck to you as you prepare to host the event. I'm sure it'll be great. :)

Take care,

Frank

TreSk8sAZ
05-01-2008, 10:36 AM

CRAP! That's the last week of class before finals :cry::cry: Hope I can still go.

That IS the beginning of finals week for us, and since I graduate next year, there's no way. Darn the late date! Oh well, a year to work on getting my elements back!

flo
05-01-2008, 10:38 AM
Great - congrats!!

MusicSkateFan
05-01-2008, 10:43 AM
Don't know yet if I will be able to do that week or not. I have to look at my school's calendar and see. Maybe next year might be the year to skip and go to ISU in Germany instead. Can't do both...especially since they would be so close together. Michigan is not on my 1000 places to see before I die list sooooo.......

I am considering going back up to Lake Placid for an Adult week this summer...just missed the discount date so I better get moving on that!

sk8er1964
05-01-2008, 11:00 AM
<snip> Michigan is not on my 1000 places to see before I die list sooooo....... <snip>

Don't knock Michigan. We have a very, very beautiful state - and the Lake Michigan shoreline (near Grand Rapids) is some of the most beautiful and scenic areas in the entire country, IMO.

Check this out for the Grand Rapids/west coast area: http://www.michiganswestcoast.com/index.php

Pictures from across the state at this time of year: http://michpics.wordpress.com/

coskater64
05-01-2008, 11:04 AM
Sectionals bids are due on JUne 1st, 2008, so we won't know for a while where those are going to be held.8O

TimDavidSkate
05-01-2008, 11:16 AM
Sectionals bids are due on JUne 1st, 2008, so we won't know for a while where those are going to be held.8O

Thanks - I was wondering about that :halo:

Isk8NYC
05-01-2008, 11:17 AM
Michigan is not on my 1000 places to see before I die list sooooo.......You're not interested in seeing the birthplace of Motown? And you call yourself a music teacher...

Seriously, Michigan's very nice and the people are friendly. I was there on business once and I want to go back on vacation someday.

flying~camel
05-01-2008, 11:50 AM
Don't knock Michigan. We have a very, very beautiful state - and the Lake Michigan shoreline (near Grand Rapids) is some of the most beautiful and scenic areas in the entire country, IMO.

Check this out for the Grand Rapids/west coast area: http://www.michiganswestcoast.com/index.php

Pictures from across the state at this time of year: http://michpics.wordpress.com/

I think you need to be on our PR committee! LOL! :lol:

jazzpants
05-01-2008, 11:53 AM
You're not interested in seeing the birthplace of Motown? And you call yourself a music teacher... He's probably one of those music teachers that thinks that anything but classical music is not music, but "noise." :twisted: :P :lol:

(And for the record, I *DID* have a music teacher back in high school who thought JUST that!!! He had to throw a party with dance music for the kids one year (this is like 1983-1984?) for his choir class... but as soon as the bell rang, he IMMEDIATELY switched to classical and said "AHHHH!!! REAL Music!!! :mrgreen: " I was thinking at the time "Oh, geez!!! Another old fuddy-duddy..." Of course, he was 28 at the time... :roll: )

Too bad, MSF!!! I, for one do want to visit Detriot b/c of Motown! I LOVE oldies Motown music... Aretha, Smokey, Steve Wonder (my subject for my MUSIC THESIS for my BA degree!!! :mrgreen: )

MusicSkateFan
05-01-2008, 12:41 PM
Indeed... I don't listen to Elevator Music! LOL I am pretty much a classical music person. Brahms is my favorite composer. My program is to Richard Straus' ''Salome" . Sorry if Motown doesnt float my boat!

And those who know me, know that I Rag on Pretty much all of the USA...More of a European Fan here! GO AUSTRIA!

jazzpants
05-01-2008, 12:47 PM
And those who know me, know that I Rag on Pretty much all of the USA...More of a European Fan here! GO AUSTRIA!
AHHHH!!! Not much for Copeland, eh? ;)

doubletoe
05-01-2008, 12:50 PM

Wheee--! Just in time to see the first tulips of the season! :D
http://www.veldheer.com/

Mrs Redboots
05-01-2008, 01:10 PM
AHHHH!!! Not much for Copeland, eh? ;)
And what's wrong with Gershwin, or Bernstein, might I enquire (and I'm not even American!)?!

Which reminds me - slightly OT, but not too badly - since next year's World Championships are being held in LA at the end of March, Husband and I are seriously thinking of treating ourselves to the trip, as it almost coincides with our 30th wedding anniversary. Does anybody else yet know whether they will/might be going?

jazzpants
05-01-2008, 01:28 PM
And what's wrong with Gershwin, or Bernstein, might I enquire (and I'm not even American!)?!Right, MSF!!!! :twisted: Volley, your serve...

Which reminds me - slightly OT, but not too badly - since next year's World Championships are being held in LA at the end of March, Husband and I are seriously thinking of treating ourselves to the trip, as it almost coincides with our 30th wedding anniversary. Does anybody else yet know whether they will/might be going?
And I will look forward to meeting you then if you do make a short trip to San Francisco too! :mrgreen:

MusicSkateFan
05-01-2008, 01:55 PM
Copeland would be my favorite American Composer. Berstein too, he has a great Clarinet Sonata. Copeland's Clarinet Concerto is great music too.

I like all Orchestral music. Strict jazz is not on the list, however. Not much for improv and scat singing.

I like vocal ballads/standards. Some big band classics.

BTW I listen to a lot of country music and I two-step sooooo I am not a total snob!

I just don't like JAZZ!!!

sk8er1964
05-01-2008, 02:05 PM
Indeed... I don't listen to Elevator Music! LOL I am pretty much a classical music person. Brahms is my favorite composer. My program is to Richard Straus' ''Salome" . Sorry if Motown doesnt float my boat!

*cough* *cough* MusicSkateFan - ever heard of this guy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neeme_J%C3%A4rvi)?
He and the Detroit Symphony Orchestra are pretty well received in the classical world. ;) 8-)

sk8er1964
05-01-2008, 02:06 PM
I think you need to be on our PR committee! LOL! :lol:

:lol: Seroiusly, though, if you need any long-distance help, let me know. Can't be running off to GR all the time, but I am available via computer.

jazzpants
05-01-2008, 04:12 PM
I just don't like JAZZ!!!But you are at least tolerant of jazzpants, so I'll give you credit there!!! :P :twisted: ;) :lol: (And it was very nice meeting you at LP too, MSF!!! :) )

BTW: I still look to that music instructor with great affection... so don't think I'm dissin' 'ya, okay? Besides, I may need your help in picking MY music for my next technical FS piece. I got a new skating dress at the Frieda B booth. (Some of you have seen me in the dress so you guys know which dress I bought.) I would love to tap your classical music expertise, since that's not my strongest suit... ;)

herniated
05-01-2008, 05:11 PM
And what's wrong with Gershwin, or Bernstein, might I enquire (and I'm not even American!)?!

I'm skating to Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue next year!!:)

techskater
05-01-2008, 06:52 PM
I am SO there! Can I reserve my favorite sleeping arrangement and a kiss from my favorite guy?

Larry - I will get with my "little sister" to see if we can make you a special birthday cake for Nationals birthday and I promise that it will be a great one! If you are going out on Tuesday, maybe you, Robin, Sue and I can go out for dinner to celebrate. :yum: I know of several great bars in the GR area that we can celebrate at with your special cake! :)

sk8lady
05-01-2008, 06:54 PM
I skated to "Rhapsody in Blue" a couple years ago--it's a FABULOUS piece but very hard to cut as it's quite long and has a number of distinct melodies.
Warning: about a bazillion people said to me, "Do you remember when Ilya Kulik skated to this in his giraffe costume?" I believe it had spots on it. Apparently it was quite memorable.:D

Mel On Ice
05-01-2008, 10:22 PM
I am SO there! Can I reserve my favorite sleeping arrangement and a kiss from my favorite guy?

Larry - I will get with my "little sister" to see if we can make you a special birthday cake for Nationals birthday and I promise that it will be a great one! If you are going out on Tuesday, maybe you, Robin, Sue and I can go out for dinner to celebrate. :yum: I know of several great bars in the GR area that we can celebrate at with your special cake! :)

the basement is your tech, but you will have to share with a certain sassy Arkanasanian.

I know where that cake can be baked!

SkaterBird
05-01-2008, 10:42 PM
[QUOTE=sk8er1964;363982]Don't knock Michigan. We have a very, very beautiful state - and the Lake Michigan shoreline (near Grand Rapids) is some of the most beautiful and scenic areas in the entire country, IMO.

I'll vouch for Michigan in the springtime. I don't live there but my Mom grew up there and we visited relatives at that time of year when I was a kid. The snow is usually gone, the summer tourist crowd hasn't arrived yet and the lakeshore is to-die-for gorgeous.

jak0203
05-02-2008, 10:53 AM
Anyone know where adult midwesterns are going to be...are they even keeping them? I've heard rumors of them doing away with adult sectionals.
Also, I've heard rumors about them lengthening the adult bronze programs. Anyone know anything about that?

herniated
05-02-2008, 11:46 AM
I skated to "Rhapsody in Blue" a couple years ago--it's a FABULOUS piece but very hard to cut as it's quite long and has a number of distinct melodies.
Warning: about a bazillion people said to me, "Do you remember when Ilya Kulik skated to this in his giraffe costume?" I believe it had spots on it. Apparently it was quite memorable.:D

Yeah, I know Kulik skated to it. Hated that costume. I'll brace myself for the comments. My coach does the initial cut of the music (thank God) and then he takes it to a professional guy to cut it. I'm excited about it!! But, I'll be wearing 'blue' not a giraffe pattern. Ugghh.

flying~camel
05-02-2008, 12:20 PM
Anyone know where adult midwesterns are going to be...are they even keeping them? I've heard rumors of them doing away with adult sectionals.

Sectionals bids aren't due until 6/1, so we won't know for a while.

Also, I've heard rumors about them lengthening the adult bronze programs. Anyone know anything about that?

There is a proposal at GC this week to lengthen Bronze programs to 1:50. However, if it passes, it won't take effect until September 2009.

vesperholly
05-02-2008, 01:06 PM
Nothing was on the Governing Council requests for action from the adult committee to get rid of Sectionals, so unless someone brings it up under new action, Sectionals are staying.

Terri C
05-02-2008, 01:09 PM
There is a proposal at GC this week to lengthen Bronze programs to 1:50. However, if it passes, it won't take effect until September 2009.

From what I read on the RFA's there is nothing there to indicate that the 1:50 Bronze program max would not take effect until 9/09. If this is indeed the case, where does it say that?

techskater
05-02-2008, 07:37 PM
the basement is your tech, but you have to share with a certain sassy Arkanasanian.

I know where that cake can be baked!

Yep, that certain sassy Arkansanian is going to fly in and drive up (over?) with me and the coach. :)

Excellent, we will have to discuss with the other one of us about use of the pan. :evil:

coskater64
05-03-2008, 12:29 AM
I think the new 1:50 bronze program if ratified would take effect for the 2008-2009 season not 2009-2010.

jak0203
05-03-2008, 07:54 AM
Thanks for all the info! You all are so knowledgable. I'm not sure I'll be able to go to AN09 because I'm a teacher and it seems like it's going to be very close to the stupid TAKS test... :frus:

RachelSk8er
05-03-2008, 11:43 AM
Thanks for all the info! You all are so knowledgable. I'm not sure I'll be able to go to AN09 because I'm a teacher and it seems like it's going to be very close to the stupid TAKS test... :frus:

Ha ha hence the reason why I switched careers after a year of teaching. Summer off is nice for training purposes, but doesn't really accomodate competition season :) (Well...that and the whole gun in my school incident, no support from administration, constant fights between kids, and no jobs in decent districts problem.)

Michigansk8er
05-04-2008, 06:51 PM
I haven't been here in awhile, but this is great news! Can't wait. Way to go GR!

icesk8r96
05-04-2008, 08:48 PM
Just for a mental note, what is the closest airport to GR?

Stormy
05-04-2008, 09:37 PM
GR has it's own airport, but when I went there for synchro nationals we had to fly to Detroit first.

Kim to the Max
05-04-2008, 09:39 PM
Just for a mental note, what is the closest airport to GR?

It's airport code GRR....Gerald R. Ford International, but most flights connect either in Chicago or Detroit to get to Grand Rapids...

Mrs Redboots
05-05-2008, 05:51 AM
I haven't been here in awhile, but this is great news! Can't wait. Way to go GR!
So are you going to compete again, as it's local?

Stormy
05-05-2008, 08:56 PM
Will AN really only be 4 days next year?? 8O With adding solo dance and another Championship event, how long are these days gonna be?

vesperholly
05-05-2008, 09:12 PM
Will AN really only be 4 days next year?? 8O With adding solo dance and another Championship event, how long are these days gonna be?
Good question! I wonder how many rinks GR will have going - are they a 4-sheet faciity or am I remembering incorrectly?

coskater64
05-05-2008, 09:17 PM
Isn't it a 2 sheet facility with a third nearby? That's what Ann D told me.

vesperholly
05-05-2008, 09:20 PM
Isn't it a 2 sheet facility with a third nearby? That's what Ann D told me.
8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O

Mel On Ice
05-05-2008, 09:30 PM
two sheets with a second rink procured for practice ice with multiple sheets

RachelSk8er
05-05-2008, 09:34 PM

And if it's the same rink they hold the November synchro competition at, the main arena is really nice. Other surface...FREEZING COLD with really dry air. Or at least it was when we had our IJS monitoring in there.

jazzpants
05-06-2008, 12:11 AM
MICHIGANSK8ER!!!! :mrgreen:

Are you coming to AN 2009? Can you compete for AN 2009... or at least come and watch us? Would be great to finally meet you after all these years!!! :mrgreen:

Mel On Ice
05-06-2008, 08:04 AM
And if it's the same rink they hold the November synchro competition at, the main arena is really nice. Other surface...FREEZING COLD with really dry air. Or at least it was when we had our IJS monitoring in there.

we have one synchro team in the area and there are no November competitions here in west Michigan. I'm racking my brain, there is a competition in Kalamazoo around that time and Dr. Porter in Ann Arbor...

flying~camel
05-06-2008, 09:28 AM
If you did synchro nationals in 2006, Patterson (the AN 09 competition arena) was where unofficial practice was held.

manleywoman
05-06-2008, 11:09 AM

Keep in mind that adding another Champ event may not add tons more people, as some of the entrants will be those who moved up from Gold or down from Masters.

With adding Solo Dance, it will be interesting to see how the days are affected.

But look: adults begged and pleaded for the IJS system. Now we have it for Gold and above, but the trade-off is that the days run much longer. So what do we want: IJS, or shorter days? Pick one!

You can't have everything!

jazzpants
05-06-2008, 11:24 AM
I am SOOOOO renting a car.... 8O

RachelSk8er
05-06-2008, 12:58 PM
we have one synchro team in the area and there are no November competitions here in west Michigan. I'm racking my brain, there is a competition in Kalamazoo around that time and Dr. Porter in Ann Arbor...

That must be the Kalamazoo rink I'm thinking of then...not up on my W Michigan geography.

doubletoe
05-06-2008, 02:02 PM
Keep in mind that adding another Champ event may not add tons more people, as some of the entrants will be those who moved up from Gold or down from Masters.

With adding Solo Dance, it will be interesting to see how the days are affected.

But look: adults begged and pleaded for the IJS system. Now we have it for Gold and above, but the trade-off is that the days run much longer. So what do we want: IJS, or shorter days? Pick one!

You can't have everything!

It might also help that skaters will now be limited to 3 events instead of 4. Any idea how many skaters entered 4 events this year?

manleywoman
05-06-2008, 05:45 PM
It might also help that skaters will now be limited to 3 events instead of 4.

That was part of the rationale behind doing it, but additionally, for year after year, the schedule came out late because the referee had to figure out how to juggle 500+ competitors around the same 4 to 5 people who entered multiple events. So 4-5 people affected 500 other people's travel plans. And every year people complained about the schedule being late. Well, that was one of the big reasons why!

flo
05-06-2008, 08:27 PM
I 'd like to see the number of entries limited. The quality of the programs increases, and scheduling is more reasonable. With limiting the entry to two events, you put you best "skate" forward.

RachelSk8er
05-07-2008, 08:24 AM
That was part of the rationale behind doing it, but additionally, for year after year, the schedule came out late because the referee had to figure out how to juggle 500+ competitors around the same 4 to 5 people who entered multiple events. So 4-5 people affected 500 other people's travel plans. And every year people complained about the schedule being late. Well, that was one of the big reasons why!

Then you get the people who were in only 2-3 events but had odd combinations (high freestyle/low dance and vice-versa, low free but masters for interp--I can't tell you how many people I had to go through and explain my situation to in order to get my interp fixed because they didn't understand how I was in bronze free but signed up for masters interp because I have high enough dances but can't find a partner, wanted to compete, so I just started doing freestyle).

Really the whole schedule is a logistical nightmare and I'm amazed they are able to work it out every year with so few conflicts/issues. :bow::bow:

By the way, an email for the ice dancers yahoo group explaining/clarifying the solo dances came out. There will be only 3 levels, bronze, silver and gold. Initial round will be one lower dance (IR) and one higher dance (FR) for each level (so for silver, one pre-silver and one silver). They didn't do the pre-levels this year basically because with the number of events and this being new, they didn't want to ask for too much. You need one pre-bronze to compete bronze, one pre-silver to compete silver, and one pre-gold to compete gold. If, by the time applications are in, there are huge groups, it will be up to the referee to further split it (either by test levels of the competitors or by age). The exact dances haven't been announced yet.

rsk8d
05-07-2008, 10:17 AM
Is there going to be a new championship singles event? I read one of the comments about people moving down from masters and up from gold...??

flying~camel
05-07-2008, 10:28 AM
Yup! Champ Masters is going to be split into 2 separate events - Champ Masters Int/Novice & Champ Masters Jr/Sr.

TimDavidSkate
05-07-2008, 11:08 AM
I 'd like to see the number of entries limited. The quality of the programs increases, and scheduling is more reasonable. With limiting the entry to two events, you put you best "skate" forward.

I totally agree - if one does solo dance, interp, and freestyle and champ dance or pairs...thats a nightmare - bc it throws off other people.

Hopefully Adult Nationals will just do freestyle events and leave the interp at another date & time :halo:

joysk8
05-07-2008, 11:26 AM
Shall we begin the interp. debate now. Personally, I have done interp. in the past, simply to get more ice time. Sometimes you drive hours and hours to get to a compeitition to do a 2 minute or so program- at least interp or compulsory events gives you more bang for your drive.

Having said that, put me down for taking out interp at Nationals. I believe that there is a Nationals event already for interp during the year (I got an announcement once). I know people put tons of time, money and effort into interp but since AN is so crowded with freestyle events - and interp is for entertainment purposes - they should be seperated. Recently, a friend of mine asked a judge what they wanted to see in interp (after she got crazy results) and was told that they DO NOT want to see a lot of elements but just be entertained. HMMMMMM.

No disrespect to interp (as I said, I've done it) but AN has become so large and being that it is an ADULT event - how many adults have 5, 6 or up to 7 days to give up to go to the competition. If interp was left out - could it be done in 3 or 4 days??

I am open to suggestions/comments, etc.Thanks

2salch0w
05-07-2008, 12:16 PM
BTW I listen to a lot of country music and I two-step sooooo I am not a total snob!

I just don't like JAZZ!!!

I so hate Jazz. Friends at work think it is great but I just can't stand it.

I was playing Taboo once and my wife was trying to describe a word to me. She says "The music we hate" and I said "Country?"

So she says "No, we really hate it" and I said "rap".

She says, "We REALLY hate it!"

"Ohhhhhh, Jazz!"

ding ding ding

Anyone remember Johnny Hates Jazz from the 80s? Loved that name.

Tim

TimDavidSkate
05-07-2008, 12:38 PM
Shall we begin the interp. debate now. Personally, I have done interp. in the past, simply to get more ice time. Sometimes you drive hours and hours to get to a compeitition to do a 2 minute or so program- at least interp or compulsory events gives you more bang for your drive.

Having said that, put me down for taking out interp at Nationals. I believe that there is a Nationals event already for interp during the year (I got an announcement once). I know people put tons of time, money and effort into interp but since AN is so crowded with freestyle events - and interp is for entertainment purposes - they should be seperated. Recently, a friend of mine asked a judge what they wanted to see in interp (after she got crazy results) and was told that they DO NOT want to see a lot of elements but just be entertained. HMMMMMM.

No disrespect to interp (as I said, I've done it) but AN has become so large and being that it is an ADULT event - how many adults have 5, 6 or up to 7 days to give up to go to the competition. If interp was left out - could it be done in 3 or 4 days??

+ I think, competitors will have better focus on their freestyle.
I overheard the standard skaters say that they think AN is just playing dress up and playing miss piggy and or dressing up like a frog.

I do get artistic/dramatic events - but I think all interp should just be not part of AN - it would save a lot of time for practices and early morning start times for competition.

jensk8s
05-07-2008, 01:18 PM

Personally, I love the interp events and like the challenge of coming up with something that the audience and judges will 'get' and understand. Interp for me is the event that I use to work on presentation and hope that I can transfer that to my freestyle program.

As the focus of adult nationals is 'inclusion', I think that interp should stay as part of the competition. There are several skaters who want to participate at AN, but haven't been training for freestyle (or are coming back from an injury) -- while they don't feel a freestyle program is something they can do at this time, they do think they can do an interp and are happy to participate. Also, prior to solo dance being added (just approved at GC for a 2 year trial period), interp was an event that dancers could participate in, particularly when they don't skate freestyle.

doubletoe
05-07-2008, 01:32 PM
+ I think, competitors will have better focus on their freestyle.
I overheard the standard skaters say that they think AN is just playing dress up and playing miss piggy and or dressing up like a frog.

I do get artistic/dramatic events - but I think all interp should just be not part of AN - it would save a lot of time for practices and early morning start times for competition.

The reason interpretive events are included in adult skating is that we adults sometimes end up with physical limitations that prevent us from competing in freestyle at our test level. For example, one of the medalists in Ladies Masters Interpretive III (who would kick my butt in Gold if she skated a technical program, BTW) has developed knee problems and asthma, so she has had to stop skating programs over 1:40 and stop doing axels and doubles. But if you see her program, there's no denying the incredible skating she's doing! And did you see the Charlie Chaplin program that won the Masters Ladies Light/Comedy competition? Holy cow!! If they did away with any of the interpretive categories, they would have to do away with all of them and we would not see any of these wonderful programs.

TimDavidSkate
05-07-2008, 01:40 PM
Im not saying that it should be rid off completely, just move it to another date and time instead.

daisies
05-07-2008, 01:52 PM
Interp won't be gone any time soon. I mean, we just added the ability to enter two instead of one!

Another poster hit the nail on the head by saying AN is about "inclusion," and as doubletoe pointed out, some adults physically can't do a FS program anymore. What's more, Interp is a cash cow for AN -- extra entry fee, doesn't take up a lot of ice time.

What will be interesting to see is how the Oberstdorf competition handles Interp for the first time this year. It will be scored using only the Program Components in IJS, rather than on a 6.0 scale. If it works, it could be the solution to those wacky ordinal sheets we always see for Interp!

RachelSk8er
05-07-2008, 02:43 PM
I don't see why they don't have the first day and a half or two days of ANs be ALL interp events only, then start the initial rounds for dance/free over the next day, then end with all the final rounds Friday afternoon through Saturday night. That way people who want to do interp can do them, and people who don't want to or aren't able to get almost a week off of work can still go and compete freestyle or dance by taking a long weekend. There are a lot of teachers and other people who can't get enough time off work and therefore unable to attend at all (this would also help the whole "inclusion" idea...).

manleywoman
05-07-2008, 03:01 PM
Interp won't be gone any time soon. I mean, we just added the ability to enter two instead of one!

Another poster hit the nail on the head by saying AN is about "inclusion," and as doubletoe pointed out, some adults physically can't do a FS program anymore. What's more, Interp is a cash cow for AN -- extra entry fee, doesn't take up a lot of ice time.

Yup.

And at least on the Chicago schedule, there were no interp events on Saturday anyway. Interp was exclusively on Thursday and Friday, and initial Freestyle rounds on Wednesday. Again, to accommodate people doing multiple events.

daisies
05-07-2008, 03:07 PM
I don't see why they don't have the first day and a half or two days of ANs be ALL interp events only, then start the initial rounds for dance/free over the next day, then end with all the final rounds Friday afternoon through Saturday night. That way people who want to do interp can do them, and people who don't want to or aren't able to get almost a week off of work can still go and compete freestyle or dance by taking a long weekend. There are a lot of teachers and other people who can't get enough time off work and therefore unable to attend at all (this would also help the whole "inclusion" idea...).

The first day of the competition has to be initial-round 6.0 events. You have to get as many 6.0 events that have initial rounds done on the first day as possible, because the IJS panel comes in on the second day and takes up one rink. It would be expensive to have to bring in the technical panel for an extra day.

jensk8s
05-07-2008, 03:45 PM

There are so many factors that go into scheduling. One issue is the Championship events - this affects pairs, dance and freestyle. Those skaters should have their open events on another day. Then, you have skaters who are doing pairs and singles or dance and singles - the referee will try to accomodate these 'multiple event' skaters by spreading things out (if the referee is able to - this doesn't always work out). With dance having an initial and a final round, their events would all be on two days like it was this past year -- this was out of the referees control as she was limited to when she had her dance tech panel which was only Friday/Saturday -- the dancers weren't thrilled with this (two ODs in the same day for some teams), but they did what they had to do. Typically the pre-gold/gold dance events are opposite days of the Championship Gold dance. For gold ladies this year, some of the skaters were in championship gold as well as Gold III open which had a qualifying and final round - this was spread out over 3 days.

It would be pretty difficult to schedule skaters in multiple events, or qualifying and final rounds in just a couple of days, as well as give them official warm ups.

sexyskates
05-07-2008, 04:56 PM
I absolutely LOVE doing Interp! It's a way to be creative, develop the transition moves, and put arm motions and emotion into my skating without worrying about rushing to the next difficult element. The freestyle program feels like a race to get all the elements in. Interp programs focus on the artistry which is very important to skating.
I would consider going to Obersdorf now that you say there is Interp! I wouldn't want to fly all the way to Germany just to do one freestyle program(and my flutzy Lutzes).

Yes, that Charlie Chaplin routine was great! There were quite a few enjoyable Interp. programs at AN and the dance skaters did beautiful footwork routines! I am now inspired to expand my footwork ability.

Hannahclear
05-07-2008, 05:59 PM
Interp isn't my thing, but it's in the interest of all adult skaters to see AN continue to bring in enough money and interest to keep the event healthy. So long live interp!

w.w.west
05-07-2008, 06:59 PM

So what about the teachers and other people who only do interp?

Michigansk8er
05-09-2008, 05:03 PM
So are you going to compete again, as it's local?

I almost have to, don't I? I'm seriously considering it.

Michigansk8er
05-09-2008, 05:07 PM
MICHIGANSK8ER!!!! :mrgreen:

Are you coming to AN 2009? Can you compete for AN 2009... or at least come and watch us? Would be great to finally meet you after all these years!!! :mrgreen:

I was actually at Chicago on my little knee scooter, but didn't really get to met a lot of people due to not being able to do stairs. I'll be in GR though, and already have it on my calendar. Competing is up in the air, but I'm toying with the idea of interp. My coach has already been warned.

sk8er1964
05-09-2008, 06:11 PM
I was actually at Chicago on my little knee scooter, but didn't really get to met a lot of people due to not being able to do stairs. I'll be in GR though, and already have it on my calendar. Competing is up in the air, but I'm toying with the idea of interp. My coach has already been warned.

I'll try solo dance (which I have never done, even for a test - I am a freestyler all the way!) if you do interp. Deal?

techskater
05-10-2008, 05:11 AM
skater1964, I'll have to make sure to check that out! ;)

sk8er1964
05-10-2008, 10:44 AM
:lol: :oops: :P

MusicSkateFan
05-10-2008, 04:53 PM
As much as I am not a Fan of Interp, they serve a BIG purpose.......MONEY!! All those people paying full entry fee for 1:40 of Ice time...helps us all out!

I watched several interp performances this year at LP and was very impressed with the creativity of many of the skaters.

I also walked away from the rinks and went to the snack bar when the Drag shows and Snoopy suits came on to the ice!

To each his own....
In the end,however, we need the MONEY!!!!!:bow::bow:

herniated
05-10-2008, 08:15 PM
Well, I'm out of AN next year. My kids school vacation is completely opposite. Maybe next year.:cry:

flo
05-10-2008, 11:26 PM
For those of us who take interp seriously, it is an event that should most definitely be at AN. And the "national showcase" event is not the same thing and not an adult only event.

I also find that skating a quality interpretive program much more of a challenge than freestyle, With the balanced program requirements and the emphasis on IJS - all the fs programs are starting to look alike. With interpretive, there's actually time to skate and hold an edge. This is skating.

Mrs Redboots
05-11-2008, 06:48 AM
I also find that skating a quality interpretive program much more of a challenge than freestyle, With the balanced program requirements and the emphasis on IJS - all the fs programs are starting to look alike. With interpretive, there's actually time to skate and hold an edge. This is skating.
Moreover, for those of us who tend to do character/comedy routines, as I do, there is the added challenge of staying in character all the way through! How many programmes do we see where the skater starts off portraying the character, but after the first ten seconds they're just skating. The ones who can keep it going are the ones who do the memorable routines!

sexyskates
05-11-2008, 09:55 AM
And don't forget that skating with a prop is another challenge. It places more emphasis on arm and upper body movements, and continuous motion. The idea is to be creative, develop a theme, and carry it out through the entire program. Good Interp programs are not easy, and there is always the risk of the prop misbehaving!

flo
05-11-2008, 10:05 AM
I totally agree with Mrs. and sexyskates. Interp is taking the skills you have and performing them - not just executing the elements. It brings the program to the next level.

skaternum
05-11-2008, 10:08 AM
And don't forget that skating with a prop is another challenge. It places more emphasis on arm and upper body movements, and continuous motion.Or the exact opposite -- like the interp I did wearing a straight jacket to Patsy Cline's "Crazy." Dude, that was hard. All I had was a torso and shoulders to pull off 2 jumps (flip & loop) and 2 spins (scratch & chinese sit). 8O

The idea is to be creative, develop a theme, and carry it out through the entire program. Good Interp programs are not easyWord. I used to think interp was stupid too, until I tried a couple.

As much as I now enjoy doing interps, my real reason for wanting to see them kept in AN is for the same reason others have stated. They provide an outlet for adults to skate who might not be physically able to compete in a rigorous freeskating program, with its required jumps & spins. I'm getting to put this to use this Fall, probably. Most of you know I've been off the ice for 2.5 years for nasty knee surgery & rehab. I've only been back on the ice now for a few months, and I'm still rehabbing, but I want very much to compete in Peach Classic. I can't even skate more than a couple of times a week right now, so there's no way that I have time to get a freeskate ready (even if I had the skills back, which I don't). So I'm going to do an interp. It's shorter, has no requirements, and I can modify it to accommodate my knee -- all while trying to carry out a theme and interpret the music. The folks at the GA FSC will benefit because they get my full "first event" entry fee + the additional fee if I decide I can do one of the "throwaway" events. Otherwise, I wouldn't be going at all.

RachelSk8er
05-11-2008, 10:13 AM
For those of us who take interp seriously, it is an event that should most definitely be at AN. And the "national showcase" event is not the same thing and not an adult only event.

Actually I think trying to put together a quality freestyle program with the IJS where you have the technical content but actually do pick and carry through with a theme and skate a program that looks different and is memorable can be even more challenging. Like Amy Entwistle's African program this year--it was outstanding. So many people get wrapped up in the technical aspect now, though, but I think in time once everything settles with IJS we'll see more creativity.

flo
05-11-2008, 01:54 PM
I'm all for more creativity, I'd like to see more of it in fs as well.

techskater
05-11-2008, 05:00 PM
Actually I think trying to put together a quality freestyle program with the IJS where you have the technical content but actually do pick and carry through with a theme and skate a program that looks different and is memorable can be even more challenging. Like Amy Entwistle's African program this year--it was outstanding. So many people get wrapped up in the technical aspect now, though, but I think in time once everything settles with IJS we'll see more creativity.

I completely agree with that thought, Rachel. I LOVED Amy's program (of course, I usually do) and told her so!

sexyskates
05-11-2008, 05:03 PM
Amy's program was awesome and I'm glad that the judges rewarded it too.

And I loved Skaterum's Interp in the straightjacket - I have no idea how you were able to jump and spin with your arms tied down! That must have taken a ton of practice!

sk8lady
05-11-2008, 05:12 PM
Interp is also the only event in which one can qualify through dance if you're someone who doesn't have a partner to compete dance with.
If you're someone like me, who started skating at an advanced age, took time off to have kids, and is trying to learn jumps beyond the first two post-menopause, AND has no dance partner because there are approximately five men in the whole STATE who ice dance, it's nice to be able to go to AN even if you can "only" do spins, spirals, hydroblades, footwork, etc. I regularly skate up a level at other competitions and folks are usually surprised to hear that I'm not bronze level.

joysk8
05-11-2008, 07:14 PM
OK - I have stated before that I have done interp. - I enjoyed it and it gave me more ice time BUT there is a time and a place for interp. --- there are tons of local competitions who I'm sure would love the money and can be a venue for those who aren't able to do freestyle due to certain restraints. But, Nationals is becoming an overpoplulated arena (wasn't the Lovepairs fall in part due to overcrowded ice ??)- does an event that DIScourages difficulty belong at a Nationally recognized event, especially if there is an Interp Nationals already scheduled at another time during the year ?

If a qualifying event is on Wednesday and finals aren't until Saturday -- isn't it a little frustrating watching interp for two days in between. If interp. is so essential - make it two days before or two days after the freestyle. Those committed to interp can stay or come early.

Thank you for everybody's opinions - this just happens to be mine. Believe me , I admire any adult who falls in love with this sport - it has helped me mentally and physically through many a tough time !!! (Maybe this could be a new thread - what skating has helped me overcome !!)

flo
05-11-2008, 09:02 PM
"does an event that DIScourages difficulty belong at a Nationally recognized event"

Hi Joy - I don't believe that interpretive in any way discourages difficulty. Like any program, it is what you make it. Interpretive belongs at AN as much as any event, and in my opinion more than some. Remember the original goal of AN was to provide a venue for adult skaters starting skating as adults. The "overcrowding" can be resolved by a variety of other means, but I rather like all of us together.

sexyskates
05-11-2008, 10:16 PM
What "overcrowding"? It's great that we have all this participation, that we have 4 full days of events on two rink surfaces. This is great! AN is the ultimate adult competition! My own personal opinion is that some people go overboard on the amount of "practice ice" they think they need. Come prepared to compete, then try to relax and enjoy the variety of events. Watching your friends compete is part of the whole sportsmanship of Adult Nationals.

And as we have discussed, Interp is difficult in a way different from freestyle. Some people do not excel at Interp, do not enjoy it, and don't have to participate in it if they don't want to. However, it is a very popular event!

flo
05-11-2008, 10:27 PM
Actually, Sexyskates, as far as overcrowding I think you're right. There were 500 skaters this year, and the numbers have been higher. I believe, but am not sure, that the highest was around 700??

sexyskates
05-11-2008, 10:40 PM
Yes, I think at it's peak, AN had a higher total number of participants. So, there is room to have more multiple entries now. I think that anything we can do to encourage participation, and keep the quality of the skating high, is a good thing. Having well attended Adult Nationals, is good for adult skating, and insures that it can continue to be an annual event!

skaternum
05-12-2008, 08:45 AM
If "overcrowding" or scheduling difficulties remain problematic, I'd rather see a limit placed on the number of events one person can do rather than elminate interp. There are some real overachievers amongst us who compete (or have competed) in 4 or more events.

Is there a limit on the number of practice ice sessions you can do? If not, that might be a good idea. Also, maybe a restriction that if you don't have any more events left in the week, you can't do practice ice. (Full refund expected, of course.)

FrankR
05-12-2008, 09:27 AM
If "overcrowding" or scheduling difficulties remain problematic, I'd rather see a limit placed on the number of events one person can do rather than elminate interp. There are some real overachievers amongst us who compete (or have competed) in 4 or more events.

Is there a limit on the number of practice ice sessions you can do? If not, that might be a good idea. Also, maybe a restriction that if you don't have any more events left in the week, you can't do practice ice. (Full refund expected, of course.)

This year there was a limit on the number of events one could enter at AN. Entrants into AN this year could skate no more than four events. I had heard that at GC last week this was reduced to 3 events for AN 2009.

manleywoman
05-12-2008, 09:33 AM
Actually, Sexyskates, as far as overcrowding I think you're right. There were 500 skaters this year, and the numbers have been higher. I believe, but am not sure, that the highest was around 700??

If memory serves (and not including starts, just competitors), the most we've ever had is 630 at LP several years back, followed by Chicago at 550.

I don't know the numbers for this year though.

And yes, limiting the number of entrants helps a lot. Limiting the number of practice ice a skater does per day helps a lot as well.

joysk8
05-12-2008, 12:31 PM
Hi again - good discussion here. A particular judge who was asked was the one who adamantly said that they do NOT want to see difficulty in interp., although, yes you can put in whatever you want - I used to put in my lutz/loop just to get practice doing it in front of judges. Also, I took the overcrowding discussion from the pairs people here who were complaining about overcrowding in their practices.

I'll never understand how events are scheduled anywhere anyway - why can't there be qualifying one day and then finals the next (people who want to leave can - and those who want to stay can too)--- to qualify and then wait around for two or three days for finals- maybe there would be more people sign up if they knew it wouldn't mean a week off of work. There are the same events every year - put up a tentative schedule of at least which days your events will be on (maybe this is already done).

I grew up doing all kinds of sports and a National event in any sport to me is a huge thing - it's kind of weird to hear people refer to it as a fundraiser.

sk8er1964
05-12-2008, 12:39 PM
I'll probably get fried for this, but I'd love to see a rule that people who qualify for the championship events cannot compete in the open events.

manleywoman
05-12-2008, 12:57 PM
I'll probably get fried for this, but I'd love to see a rule that people who qualify for the championship events cannot compete in the open events.

But then there would be no Open Men's events at all. ;)

jensk8s
05-12-2008, 12:58 PM
Hi again - good discussion here. A particular judge who was asked was the one who adamantly said that they do NOT want to see difficulty in interp., although, yes you can put in whatever you want - I used to put in my lutz/loop just to get practice doing it in front of judges. Also, I took the overcrowding discussion from the pairs people here who were complaining about overcrowding in their practices.

I'll never understand how events are scheduled anywhere anyway - why can't there be qualifying one day and then finals the next (people who want to leave can - and those who want to stay can too)--- to qualify and then wait around for two or three days for finals- maybe there would be more people sign up if they knew it wouldn't mean a week off of work. There are the same events every year - put up a tentative schedule of at least which days your events will be on (maybe this is already done).

I grew up doing all kinds of sports and a National event in any sport to me is a huge thing - it's kind of weird to hear people refer to it as a fundraiser.

I don't think interp is an event where you don't want to see difficulty, but more the perspective that you want your program to reflect the music and whatever story you are trying to tell. If the music calls for a jump, put one in there, but if it doesn't, then don't. I have done many interp programs where it is all footwork and a jump or spin (that comes out of footwork) - I don't think it's easy, but reflected the music.

Having watched many interp programs over the years, I'd say the judges comment is in relation to seeing an interp program being basically a 'freestyle program to their favorite music', which we see the kids do all the time.

As far as helping you understand scheduling, I suggest you help out with your local clubs competition(s), and ask if you can help with registration or accounting. If you help through the registration process before the competition, you'll see a small part of what goes into scheduling (entering entry information, grouping, seeing the referee schedule(s) evolve, verifying skaters events aren't too close together (if possible), drops, adds (this wouldn't apply to qualifying event which doesn't accept late entries), practice ice requests, etc.). There is so much that goes into a large event, that it's not just as simple as saying all qualifying will be on one day and final rounds the next. Or, just ask a referee and they will be glad to share what goes into creating a schedule.

If you look at the adult nationals schedule, you'll find freestyle/dance/pairs events spread out over several days - interpretive events were scattered throughout the freestyle/dance/pairs over the 4 days.

p.s. I LOVED the Crazy program!

manleywoman
05-12-2008, 01:00 PM
There are the same events every year - put up a tentative schedule of at least which days your events will be on (maybe this is already done).

This is already done.

It's not. However, it is hard to convince a group a group of volunteers to take their time our of their busy schedules for a full year to hold a very stressful event if there is no payback for their club. Most Nationals events in any sport have to make money somehow.

flo
05-12-2008, 02:07 PM
When AN first started there was more of an effort to attend more events, and we liked the days between initial and final rounds for a break.

As said interpretive skating is more interesting for me as there's more room for creative skating. It can be as technically simple or difficult as appropriate. Brian Boitano once skated a program with nothing higher than the edges we did in adult edge class. It was beautiful. The level of difficulty does not matter as much as its execution and presentation. When I refer to wanting to see quality programs, it does not mean higher level skating, but to do whatever you do well and with a purpose. I hate having interpretive treated or refered to as a "throw away" event. It does nothing for the event.

sexyskates
05-12-2008, 03:35 PM
I agree with Flo that Interp is all about artistry and performance, and presenting a total package. A fall or stumble in an interp performance can really ruin the entire effect. I spend a lot of time preparing and practicing my Interp programs because the timing with the music is especially important. Interp is not "easy"; it's a different focus from freestyle and a challenge to perform well.

joysk8
05-12-2008, 05:05 PM
Another debate in the interp forum are the costumes - yes, people put lots and lots of time, money and effort into interp but it kills me to see some of these costumes (insert favorite one here) and have the world think that adult skating is all about (insert costume name here). Many are well thought out but some seem to be for the shock (funny) factor. Half the entries for interp are for comedy and these are what seem to get the most attention - who's got the craziest costume. Who wore what instead of the skating.

Why is it called interp anyway - interp in other venues means each skater skates to the same piece of music and are judged on how well they INTERPRET it. Just my pet peeve.

flo
05-12-2008, 05:26 PM
Hi Joy - I agree, I wish it would be called artistic and light entertainment, it is confusing to those familiar with the standard interpretive.
I also agree that costume contests should be held in the lobby, hence my earlier post about the black leotards for initial rounds.
In earlier interp days many costume driven non-skating programs were rewarded, but for the most part that is no longer the case.

Mrs Redboots
05-13-2008, 09:48 AM
Why is it called interp anyway - interp in other venues means each skater skates to the same piece of music and are judged on how well they INTERPRET it. Just my pet peeve.
That is often known as Improvisation - also great fun, although the one and only time I tried it, it was a total disaster, but never mind.

Here in the UK, what you call Interp is called Artistic or occasionally Exhibition, and the schedule usually says "Skaters are required to skate an exhibition-style programme". Usually 2 minutes, even at the lowest levels! Props are normally allowed, and you see all too many skaters not using them - they just bring them on to the ice as scenery. That I don't like - if I have props, and sometimes I do, I want to use them!

looplover
05-13-2008, 01:09 PM
That is often known as Improvisation - also great fun, although the one and only time I tried it, it was a total disaster, but never mind.

Oh me too. I think I just skated around doing three turns and crossovers. I kept thinking I wanted to try something and then the moment would pass...haha. I don't know if I'll ever do one of those again.

Oh actually, I think I did a salchow. I skated against the book and won but I do think the book sat that one out...:mrgreen:

Skittl1321
05-13-2008, 01:11 PM
!

Yeah- ISI calls it "Interpretive". It's rather confusing- since USFSA uses that term to mean something else. I had SO much fun with this event, it was the highlight of my competition. (We did have a young girl who said she was "accidentally" in the event. I wonder if she thought it was a "spotlight" routine -the USFSA interpretive-, but her coach is very ISI oriented, so maybe her mom just checked another box.)

starskate6.0
05-14-2008, 06:50 PM
What ever you call it.. The interp event at US Adult nationals is a show piece.
In my humble opinion. Its not a free style event.. My interp consisted of one lutz and an upright spin and only because it matched the music and those of you who know me know Im capable of much more , but I choose to make my programs entertaining not competitive. It was not a short program (Like one other program I saw which had at least 4 spins and 6-7 jumps in it. :evil:) The costume matched the music but there was little interpretation and not much for selling the number to the audience or the judges..

the costume is important and must match the theme of the routine but the skater must sell the idea to the Audience ( and Judges ) . Smile and sell it baby..:mrgreen: Some of the best interps are those with no jumps and no spins just great skating and showmanship . :mrgreen: Some may disagree but I plan to have a new interp next year and I hope it will have lots of impact with no jumps or spins or at least with very few.. grab peoples attention , do something different . Freestyle is on the other ice. ( Just my thoughts..):roll:

Terri C
05-14-2008, 07:05 PM
Starskate,
Please, please come to AN next year!!! I don't know if you've read much of the board today, but I will definitely be in GR next year!!

starskate6.0
05-14-2008, 07:54 PM
Starskate,
Please, please come to AN next year!!! I don't know if you've read much of the board today, but I will definitely be in GR next year!!

Hi Terri

To be Honest Im not on this very much and I don't read much of it except the last page now and then. Im not sure if Ill be at AN in 2009 , it will all depend on the state of the Airline industry and if I still have a job . Its still cheaper for me to go to Oberstdorf in Germany for that competition than to Grand Rapids for nationals :D.. Which would you choose.. No contest there eh.. :mrgreen: Congrates on your Bronze test....