View Full Version : Music suggestions . . ."oldies" show?

Laura H
04-01-2008, 09:03 AM
Our rink is doing a "skating to the oldies" show . . . coach asked if I wanted to do a solo number (yikes!!) and I would LOVE to, but I'm drawing a blank on music. Can anyone help me out and throw out some suggestions? I'm definitely an "adult skater" but can probably eke out a decent program with the right music . . . I'm somewhere in USFSA FS 2-3 . . . not extremely graceful, so I probably need some upbeat music, LOL . . . but I'm not a total klutz either . . . I've got decent edges and basics, can do a good spiral, shoot-the-duck, spread eagle, etc . . . jumps are waltz, salchow, toe loop, half flip.

And "oldies" doesn't necessarily mean turn-of-the-century, apparently, 'cause some of the skaters are doing 80's stuff (which is frightening in and of itself, but that's a whole 'nother story!!).

Anyone have any ideas for me? I don't know why I am drawing a blank . . .possibly just the irony of being an adult skater "skating to the oldies?" ;)

SynchroSk8r114
04-01-2008, 09:14 AM
What about KC & The Sunshine Band's "Boogie Shoes"? Or, "You Make Me Feel Like Dancing" (although I can't remember who sings it...)? Both are definitely very upbeat.

flo
04-01-2008, 09:38 AM
Check out Natalie Cole's Unforgettable cd. There's quite a bit there that would make a great program. I also had a program to Sinatra's "The way you look tonight" From the Reprise cd.

Sessy
04-01-2008, 09:59 AM
lesley gore - you don't own me?
or maybe something by johnny cash, like "walk the line" or "ring of fire" ? they're pretty well-known even to a younger audience with that recent movie about johnny cash with joaquin phoenix coming out.

Mrs Redboots
04-01-2008, 11:09 AM
How about an Abba number? Or Queen?

How long is your programme to be? I have 2 Queen cuts, both roughly 1'30"; Husband's last year's free programme to Bohemian Rhapsody (non-vocal) and our this year's free dance mix of "This thing called love" and "Lover Boy"; if you would like to use either of them, you'd be most welcome!

FlyAndCrash
04-01-2008, 11:24 AM
Knock Three Times popped into my head, but that's just because it's a favorite of mine. Maybe you can get some 60's 70's and 80's CD's from the library or somewhere and find a song you like?

looplover
04-01-2008, 12:33 PM
Borderline oldie - "Feeling Good," by Nina Simone. Perfect and very editable!

doubletoe
04-01-2008, 01:06 PM
Something from the 50's would be fun. How about Elvis? Jailhouse Rock or Blue Suede Shoes?

smelltheice
04-01-2008, 02:36 PM
Does it actually have to be an oldie or can it be in an older style 'cos Christina Aguilera's Candy man is in the style of the andrews sisters. A swing dance number is always good and upbeat. Otherwise, Laura Brannigan and Gloria is a fantastic female solo number from the 80's

JazzySkate
04-01-2008, 04:41 PM
"Do You Love Me (Now That I Can Dance!") - the Contours. You can have fun with acting out the opening lyrics. I don't remember all of the words but it ends with "...now I'm back...to let you know...I can really shake 'em down!"
Shake your shoulders on 'shake' and do a small dip on 'down.'

The Twist - Chubby Checker. If you're not afraid of twisting on your toepicks for a few seconds, try it, otherwise try twisting sideways by doing wiggles sideways.

Let's Twist Again - Chubby Checker.

The Peppermint Twist - Joey D and the Starlighters

I Will Survive - Gloria Gaynor. Again, you can play on the opening words -
"....I grew strong!" On those words bend your arms like a weight lifter-you might bring down the house.

Oye Como Va! - Santana.

Walk Like an Egyptian - sorry, I don't know the artist(s).

If I can think of others, will post.

happysk8tes
04-01-2008, 06:38 PM
Borderline oldie - "Feeling Good," by Nina Simone. Perfect and very editable!

This was my solo last year, I adore the music and loved the choreography I had from several coaches, a friend (who graciously cut the music to about 1 minute, 45 seconds) , and myself. Nice colaborate effort. As I skated I thought about each person who choreographed and helped me with each movement.

I've also skated solos to "Wonderful World" by Louis Armstrong, and "Somewhere beyond the Sea" by Bobbie Darren.

Good luck and enjoy!

Emberchyld
04-01-2008, 10:38 PM
I'd chime in with the Andrews Sisters, too. They have such cute songs, like "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy", "Oh Johnny", "Don't Sit under the Apple Tree"... "Oh Johnny" has a slower tune than many of their others, and cute lyrics that work perfectly for skating: "You make my sad heart jump with joy, and when you're here I just can't sit still another minute."

You could also go with songs from the Monkees, like "Daydream Believer", "I'm a Believer"

Or the Partridge Family: "I think I love you"

You could go way, way back and try something medieval, like "Greensleeves". That would certainly be an "oldie".

JazzySkate
04-02-2008, 11:51 AM
Check out www.musicradio77.com - tons of 50's - '80's music titles.

doubletoe
04-02-2008, 01:25 PM
Another one you could have fun with is "Fever" by Peggy Lee.

celticprincess
04-02-2008, 08:19 PM
"We Got the Beat" GoGos...haha I did that for cheerleading.

"Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy"

"Stayin Alive"

"Sounds of Silence"- Simon and Garfunkle(for a slower artistic program)

"Beat it..or Thriller"- Micheal Jackson

"Paradise By the Dashboard Light"- Meatloaf (that would be fun for a production number...I do not recommend the whole song it's like 7 minites long)

"Girls Just Wanna Have Fun"-Cyndi Lauper

"Every Little Thing she does is magic"- The police

"Burnin Love"- Elvis

Hope some of those helped:)

Laura H
04-03-2008, 08:08 AM
Thanks so much for all the great ideas and do feel free to keep them coming!! I am having lots of fun listening to all this great music . . .now the only problem is narrowing it down! ;) I will let you know what music I end up with . . .may have to just leave it up to the coach to make a final decision . . . I already have several that I would love to skate to!

Laura H
04-03-2008, 08:12 AM
How about an Abba number? Or Queen?

How long is your programme to be? I have 2 Queen cuts, both roughly 1'30"; Husband's last year's free programme to Bohemian Rhapsody (non-vocal) and our this year's free dance mix of "This thing called love" and "Lover Boy"; if you would like to use either of them, you'd be most welcome!

1'30" would probably be just fine . . . and I think either of those would definitely fit in theme-wise! I will pm you . . .thanks!!