View Full Version : Landing a double sal or toe

sk8parent
04-01-2008, 08:14 AM
Does anyone have any pointers out there on how to encourage a child to stay tight when landing their jump. All rotations are completely fine its just the landing part. I don't know anything about the sport but yesterday he told me after watching himself on video that he needs to stay tighter with arms pulled close to his body. So I am wondering if he is coming out of his tight position too soon which then makes him fall. Could he try to stay in the tight position longer then he thinks he should, and then maybe he could land it proper? Thanks:?: :?:

FlyAndCrash
04-02-2008, 12:19 AM
Yes. Coming out early changes the center of gravity and can results in a fall - especially if it is not done in a completely controled manner.

phoenix
04-02-2008, 09:10 AM
His coach needs to tell him what to do on this. Impossible to tell from just a written description what the problem is.....

vesperholly
04-02-2008, 01:18 PM
His coach needs to tell him what to do on this. Impossible to tell from just a written description what the problem is.....
ITA. Especially since your name says "sk8parent", not "sk8coach". Tell him bring it up to his coach and listen to the coach's instructions.

sk8parent
04-03-2008, 08:28 AM
Yes, I realize I am a parent, and that is why I am asking so many questions. I just thought being on the world wide web there could be someone out there with a few new ideas that could help him....any info I did receive I would pass along to his coach first and get her thoughts on it. I am definitely not into telling my child what to do in a sport that I know so very little about. I have in the past seen posts on how to get proper technique with an axel, so that is why I thought it wouldn't hurt to get ideas on his double jumps....:?? Sorry if I have offened you all in any way by asking this.

kermit
04-03-2008, 11:32 AM
Yes, I realize I am a parent, and that is why I am asking so many questions. I just thought being on the world wide web there could be someone out there with a few new ideas that could help him....any info I did receive I would pass along to his coach first and get her thoughts on it. I am definitely not into telling my child what to do in a sport that I know so very little about. I have in the past seen posts on how to get proper technique with an axel, so that is why I thought it wouldn't hurt to get ideas on his double jumps....:?? Sorry if I have offened you all in any way by asking this.

As a parent, you should not have to feel like you are offending anyone by asking a technical question. Isn’t that what this forum is for?
We [parents] are spend numerous dollars to have our kids do this sport and have every right to question or ask if our kids are getting the proper information needed to help them succeed. We could only wish that all coaches are trained the same, have the exact same qualifications, and all have the exact same knowledge. Unfortunately, not all coaches are perfect and some may have minor flaws. It never hurts to get a second opinion from another person (whether a coach or someone who knows the sport) if it can help our skaters.

icemom60
04-03-2008, 02:04 PM
Being another parent, you didn't offend me at all. I completely understand you wanting to do whatever you can to help your son. That's our job as parents. Sometimes I wish this forum were just for parents. Unfortunately, I've seen many parents, often rudely, get shut down for just trying to learn more about the sport and help their child.

To address your question...what I learned long ago is that I can't really help my son when it comes to skating. I'd love to, but I just don't have the skills to. The best I can do is put trust in his coach to teach him what he needs to know. When he was really struggling with his Axel I sympathized with his frustration, gave him support, and got out the ISU jump video tapes for him to watch. That was all I could do to help.

I know you feel helpless some times. You're not alone. Many of us non-skating parents are in the same boat.

My son is also working on his doubles. Be prepared to see lots of falls.

Best of luck to you both.

BuggieMom
04-03-2008, 04:24 PM
We [parents] are spend numerous dollars to have our kids do this sport and have every right to question or ask if our kids are getting the proper information needed to help them succeed. We could only wish that all coaches are trained the same, have the exact same qualifications, and all have the exact same knowledge. Unfortunately, not all coaches are perfect and some may have minor flaws. It never hurts to get a second opinion from another person (whether a coach or someone who knows the sport) if it can help our skaters.
Bravo!
It is BECAUSE not all coaches have the same knowledge that I ask questions. By doing so, I have been able to help the coach help my dd by bringing new ideas to her, some she has known, some she hasn't. She either uses it or not. Our coach welcomes this, but not all do.

As far as helping...our coach also lets me in on the things that dd needs to remember, such as key words, so that if dd is having big problems, and coach is not there, I can help her by going through a checklist. Usually that is all she needs to jog her memory, and she fixes her problem. I also help her out by finding good videos and letting her watch them in slo-mo. (she is a very visual learner) I also just try to lend a shoulder when things go bad, and give a cheer when they go well.

When I ask questions, it is not because I am pushing my dd to be the next big Olympian. It is because it really, really hurts me as her mother to see her struggle, and deal with some heavy frustration for a 10 yr old. I want to help. I want to make it better. Sometimes educating myself about what she is doing makes me realize that there is either something I can help with, or it is just something that has to run it's course. Then I feel better. "Involved" skate parent doesn't necessarily equal "Insane" skate parent.

CanAmSk8ter
04-03-2008, 06:01 PM
I think I speak for all of the coaches here when I say we have no problem attempting to answer basic technical questions. Most of us have taught lots of learn-to-skate kids and single jumpers, and with that experience, we can make suggestions about what the common mistakes on X element are, and what has helped our students.

I think what the other coaches are getting at in this thread is that by axels and doubles, it's really hard to diagnose problems and make suggestions online. (I've read the OP several times, and without a video I can't even begin to guess what the problem is- at the very least we'd need to know your son's age, level, and what jump you're talking about, and even then I doubt we could tell you much without seeing it). I think most of us would also agree that this is the point where parents need to step back a bit on the technical side of things and allow the coach to coach. We're happy to answer questions about things like competitions, costumes, skates, rink etiquette, and even more general technical questions- we had a thread awhile back started by a mom asking how a skater who was small for her age could gain power, and it spawned some interesting ideas and discussion. But I think most of us feel that this isn't the place to come and second-guess your child's coaches (not saying the OP was doing this, but we've had parents who have), or ask for advice on things your child's coach should be dealing with.

sk8parent
04-03-2008, 08:58 PM
Thanks for educating me on what kinds of ??? to ask. I do realize it is hard to give any advice without seeing any jumps.... I just thought there might be some catchy little phrase or something, like I read on the axle forum thread. We love our coach, but I hate to bother her with ?? all the time as I am not sure on the etiquette of it all. I feel if I talk to her about skating, it should be on paid time. When she is busy and the rink is too it can be a challenge. So thanks for all the info...

SynchroSk8r114
04-03-2008, 09:19 PM
Thanks for educating me on what kinds of ??? to ask. I do realize it is hard to give any advice without seeing any jumps.... I just thought there might be some catchy little phrase or something, like I read on the axle forum thread. We love our coach, but I hate to bother her with ?? all the time as I am not sure on the etiquette of it all. I feel if I talk to her about skating, it should be on paid time. When she is busy and the rink is too it can be a challenge. So thanks for all the info...

As a coach, I feel it is my responsiblility--or at least part of my job--to communicate with my skaters' parents, be it on "paid time" or not. I'm sure your coach feels the same way. You are, afterall, technically employing her, and if she (like myself) recognizes this, she shouldn't feel bothered with answering any questions, however many or however silly they may seem to you.

Trust me, as a coach, any question is worth addressing. The thing is finding the right time to do so. I agree with you that when she's busy and the rink is bustling that talking to her then may not be the most effective time. I'd suggest asking if you can call her or shoot her an e-mail. That's what I find works best for the little questions, and I try to make myself available to my skaters parents by giving them my home/cell numbers and e-mail. I also publish monthly newsletters addressing general topics (i.e., test/competition information, club information, schedules, etc.) More significant issues, however, I feel should always be dealt with in person and you shouldn't feel uncomfortable asking for face-to-face time with your coach.

While as coaches, we sometimes stumble upon what others have referred to as the "insane skating parent," most parents are not this way and from what I gather from your post, you do not fit that category. It's normal, especially as as non-skating parent, to have questions about you skater, but (as hard as it may be) you have to put trust in your coach's ability to problem solve as well as in the fact that your child's frustrations will work out in the end. Each child is different and therefore must learn differently via different techniques. But the reward of overcoming these challenges is one of the best things this sport has to offer. As both a skater and coach, I've learned committment, focus, patience, goal-setting, determination, and self-respect--just some of the things I try to instill in my students. In the long run, even if he never becomes a national level skater, for instance, its the life lessons he learns will develop from working through what often seems like a frustrating and helpless time will benefit him far more than landing whatever double he may be working on. :D

sk8parent
04-03-2008, 10:19 PM
I just want to say thank you to all the coaches out there who have to put up with parents like me, who really don't know very much! You patience is appreciated!! Thank you for the previous post....:!: