View Full Version : How were you taught in Learn to Skate?

FSWer
03-31-2008, 08:47 PM
Ok Kids!!!!!! Time to please tell how you were taught in Learn to Skate if it's not too personal. I voted for one on one and me and one other. As my coach DID HAVE another skater to start.

Isk8NYC
03-31-2008, 08:56 PM
My niece (8 years younger) and I took lessons together for the first year or so. I paid for the skates, ice time and the lessons. That's why I'm the favorite auntie.

kayskate
04-01-2008, 05:58 AM
I took LtS as a kid in a class. I also had outdoor roller skates and did a lot of learning and practice on my own for many yrs after that.

Kay

BatikatII
04-01-2008, 06:46 AM
They were group classes - mixed kids and adults and about 20 of us in the class. Basically it was a case of the coach demonstrating a move and everyone copying as best they could and if you got a minute of individual attention during the 30 min class you could count yourself lucky really. The coaches woudl helpout those who were struggling most so if you looked like you were making a good attempt you were mostly ignored.

It wasnt' until over half way through the year and several levels on, that the numbers in the class dropped to a more manageable 8-10.

That's why I dont' really think I started learning to skate until I left the classes and started on private lessons.:D

Skittl1321
04-01-2008, 08:05 AM
After Basic 1 (which I don't really remember, but it was in a class when I was young) I took my basic skills at 3 different rinks. At two of the rinks they were classes of adults (One session of Basic 3/4, one session of Adult 2/3), and then the last rink was in basic skills with kids (Delta, Basic 7/8) where I was the only adult.

Now I take LTS Freestyle lessons in a class of mostly children, but one other adult.

Lisa_C
04-01-2008, 08:33 AM
I've been in a class since starting in Adult 1. I went through Adult 1-4 in a small group of adults. There were usually 4-6 of us. Once I entered Freestyle, I joined the kids. I've progressed through Freestyle with 1 other adult, so there is usually 2 adults and 4-5 kids in my Freestyle class.

Clarice
04-01-2008, 09:14 AM
I picked "in a class" because that's how I started. When I began, our rink offered adult beginning, intermediate, and advanced classes (not the regular US Figure Skating or ISI levels). I started in the beginner class, which had maybe 8 people in it. The next session, I signed up for intermediate, which had maybe 3 or 4. When I took advanced, I was the only person in the class, so I started private lessons after that.

isakswings
04-01-2008, 09:52 AM
A friend and I took a 6 week LTS class when we were 18 and after that, we skated recreationally. She and I skated regularly when we were rommies and until I got married. I got pregnant and moved and after that, I only skated a few times in 13 yrs. In October, my youngest son started taking skating lessons and we started skating as a family in the last few months. We now skate 3-4 times a week. Today is my last class of my adult 1 class. In 2 weeks, I will start my adult 2 class. My current plan is to continue with the LTS classes. There were 5-6 of us in the last session. I may pick up a few private lessons once I get my new and better fitting skates. :-)

FSWer
04-01-2008, 09:55 AM
They were group classes - mixed kids and adults and about 20 of us in the class. Basically it was a case of the coach demonstrating a move and everyone copying as best they could and if you got a minute of individual attention during the 30 min class you could count yourself lucky really. The coaches woudl helpout those who were struggling most so if you looked like you were making a good attempt you were mostly ignored.

It wasnt' until over half way through the year and several levels on, that the numbers in the class dropped to a more manageable 8-10.

That's why I dont' really think I started learning to skate until I left the classes and started on private lessons.:D

Group Class means....a bunch of classes together,right?

Mrs Redboots
04-01-2008, 11:05 AM
No, in the UK it means a bunch of skaters together. Usually several classes will be going on in the rink at once, though.

We were already skating regularly, and I'd bought my first pair of boots, as our daughter had had group lessons with her school and fallen in love with it, so we were taking her to the rink about twice a week (still on public sessions, though). Then they advertised a new series of classes, and somehow or other we all signed up.... the rest is history!

Helen88
04-01-2008, 12:24 PM
Group lessons - or classes as in the poll. They were damned good too. Having read about some of the catastrophic experiences people have had with LTS, I'm really please mine turned out the way it did. They were, however, huge classes - I remember there being about 17 in one at one point 8O 8O

BatikatII
04-01-2008, 03:46 PM

In my case both: a group of people in a class and a group of classes in a rink. Space was at something of a premium!

WhiteBoots30
04-02-2008, 03:39 AM
I started in a mother and toddler class when my daughter was 4 (started because I wanted to skate in public sessions without having to hold her up all the time!). As there were hardly any other toddlers (sometimes no others) and she got tired part way through the session and would just like to sit on a sledge, the coach started teaching me. I got through all the LTS levels by the time she started school and then started having private lessons with the coach who had taken the course. Eleven years later we are both still skating - though she is far better than me and training to be a coach herself.

airyfairy76
04-02-2008, 04:50 AM
Group lessons up to about Level 7 (of the SkateUK Levels 1-10), upon which the summer holidays happened (and no group lessons available).

I had had the same coach through a few levels of SkateUK and really liked her, so decided to start having private coaching with her.

FSWer
04-02-2008, 08:41 AM
In my case both: a group of people in a class and a group of classes in a rink. Space was at something of a premium!

So even if your just 1 on 1 with a coach. It's still concidered a class?

FSWer
04-02-2008, 08:46 AM
I started in a mother and toddler class when my daughter was 4 (started because I wanted to skate in public sessions without having to hold her up all the time!). As there were hardly any other toddlers (sometimes no others) and she got tired part way through the session and would just like to sit on a sledge, the coach started teaching me. I got through all the LTS levels by the time she started school and then started having private lessons with the coach who had taken the course. Eleven years later we are both still skating - though she is far better than me and training to be a coach herself.

Say,can someone please explain a little about how Toddler Classes work? I should think that unless parents who know how to skate hold their Todlers up. It would be awful hard for a Todler to be standing on ice and following a coach.

Mrs Redboots
04-02-2008, 09:03 AM
It depends - if you happen to be the only person in your class, it's still a class as someone else might turn up next week, and you've paid class fees rather than private lesson fees.... but if you have booked 15-30 minutes of a coach's time, either on teaching ice or on a public session, then that is a private lesson.

CanAmSk8ter
04-02-2008, 09:30 AM
Say,can someone please explain a little about how Toddler Classes work? I should think that unless parents who know how to skate hold their Todlers up. It would be awful hard for a Todler to be standing on ice and following a coach.

The first thing we teach the kids (on the floor) is how to stand on skates and how to fall down and get up safely. Then we try moving a bit in place. Once they can do that, we move on to the ice and try it there. I like to do "Head Shoulders Knees and Toes" and maybe play Simon Says to get them moving their upper bodies around without moving their feet (yet!) We can usually start marching forward and maybe gliding on the first day, although they might not all be able to do it. The goal for me is to have all the kids smiling, having fun, and able to stand by themselves at the end of the first class, and hopefully to have at least some of them able to march.

BatikatII
04-02-2008, 10:02 AM

Well that was never likely to happen. Our learn to skate courses were set up in blocks of 6 or 8 weeks (1/2 an hour lesson per week).

1 level of learn to skate generally took one block of lessons (i.e 3-4 hours of lesson).

You booked for a block of lessons and could be one of up to 20 people with one coach. Unfortunately for me I started just after Christmas when numbers were swelled by all those who saw had just seen the rinks panto on ice and fancied having a go. These days the classes are full due to the impact of 'Dancing on Ice' on the TV.

In principle if you did happen to be the only one signed up for a particular level then you could get a 1 on 1 lesson but in practice you would probably be included in the next nearest class to your level. The fewest I've ever seen in a group learn to skate lesson like that is about 4 - but that was when some participants were away.

Generally there were about 4 different level classes going on in the same half hour so there could be up to 80 or more people on the ice with just 4coaches.

In fact when I started there were over 40 people signed up for beginner 1 and 2 class so we were split into 2 groups of about 20 each. The higher level classes tended to have fewer skaters as peopel dropped out but even my top level class had about 10. Consequently it took a lot longer to learn to skate in group lessons like that, than it would have in private lessons or smaller classes.

Skittl1321
04-02-2008, 10:13 AM
Well that was never likely to happen. Our learn to skate courses were set up in blocks of 6 or 8 weeks (1/2 an hour lesson per week).

It happens quite a lot at our rink- especially for adults. It's rare that the adult class will have more than 2! I've taught 3 6 week sessions that had only 1 adult. It's a great value for them. We've also had only 1 in snowplow sam 1 before, and they did a private the first week and then we grouped the class together with snowplow 2/3 so they could play more games.

And then occasionally on halloween or such, only 1 child will show up for their class. They aren't the only one for the session, but get a private lesson that day.

We still call that a "class" because they pay through LTS, not privately through a coach.

WhiteBoots30
04-02-2008, 10:38 AM

At my rink the classes are for parents and toddlers. The parents support the toddlers and help them to do what the coach is showing until they are able to manage on their own. If the parents are beginners too (as I was) then they learn at the same time as the toddler. When I did the classes the group was really small so it was easy for the coach to help and we both made good progress. I have recently seen really large groups and then it is difficult - especially at the start of a new course when all the toddlers are new to the ice. I saw one lesson in which several of the children were really reluctant to skate, were scared and crying. It seemed to me a sure way to put them off skating for life.

onlyhappyonice
04-02-2008, 10:51 AM
Oh how nice it would be to pay for a group lesson and only have 2 or 3 in the group. I always go with my partner so just me and Rach would be purrrrrrrrfect :)

BatikatII
04-02-2008, 11:00 AM
It happens quite a lot at our rink- especially for adults. It's rare that the adult class will have more than 2! I've taught 3 6 week sessions that had only 1 adult. It's a great value for them. We've also had only 1 in snowplow sam 1 before, and they did a private the first week and then we grouped the class together with snowplow 2/3 so they could play more games.

I only found out later (after I'd started private lessons) that there was actually an adults only class I could have gone to on a weekday morning and those classes were often smaller ( at lest they were then - sometimes only 3 or 4 people but that was before the DOI effect!)

I was a bit miffed that no-one had mentioned them to me when I signed up but on the other hand I enjoyed learning to skate with my kids and even (some of the) other people's kids too despite the huge numbers and the lack of individual attention.

karliey
04-02-2008, 12:12 PM
I started in kids classes! Mostly 7-9 year olds and then me, a university student at the time. Basically I wanted to go to group lessons with a smaller group than on Sundays (see below) and they gave me a form for the kids class! I asked them if they were sure I could do this class and they said yes, I even filled in my age on the form. Now I'm in evening classes for adults.

The main LTS group classes were on Sunday mornings. No booking required, just turn up and pay for the one lesson. The whole rink was used for teaching and there were between 6-8 groups, each with an instructor. The number of people in your group was a bit luck of the draw, although most weeks the same people turned up. The beginners classes were always huge and had to be split into two.

Audryb
04-02-2008, 12:39 PM
I just started learn to skate. I'm in an Adult class that has a limit of 12, but there are only 2 people (me and one other) enrolled. There is Adult Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced and Freestyle going on at the same time. I'm not sure how those levels correspond to adult 1 2 3 4 etc, but the Intermediate class only has 2 also, and then the Advanced and Freestyle have about 10 each. Having only 2 in my beginner class is great!

celticprincess
04-02-2008, 08:29 PM
I kind of taught myself how to skate. I never took any of those learn to skate classes or anything. If I wanted to learn something, I went up to someone and asked them to teach me. At that time I wasn't offically part of a club or anything. Basiclly I went Tuesdays for 20 minites and some Saturdays. So I didn't really have the time for learn to skate. The year after I started private lessons with a coach..but even then we just went right into jumping and spins.

xgskate
06-13-2009, 05:06 PM
When I took LTS, 4 of us with one low level coach. We are making different progress and the coach had to divide the time. 45 minutes lesson, of which 15 warm-up 30 for lesson. No practice ice before or after. At the time, $12 per LTS lesson and you really just get a fraction of the time with the coach. I am not sure the coach was fair with me. Failed adult level 1 the first time. Passed at the beginning of my second 6 week session. Failed adult level 2 during that session and then also failed during another 6-week session thereafter. I wasn't happy and requested to be placed directly in Freestyle level 1, since I knew my level was much higher than test result. They gave me one lesson and told me that I couldn't be coached in FS-1. I decided LTS is not for me and started coaching myself. Some time after that, I found a private coach. He taught me Salchow during first lesson and I got it. I have been happy with his coaching since then. It's a shame that I have to move and leave him now. But new adventure is always great.

londonicechamp
06-15-2009, 12:28 PM
Hi

In London, I had group lessons in LTS on Wed and Thur evening. I am in the advanced skating group, and as the standard of people in my group is all not the same, sometimes the coach works us on spins, sometimes on jumps, and sometimes on just ice dance movements such as cross rolls, twizzles and brackets etc.

Now I am back to Singapore for good, I learnt with a 1-1 coach. She is teaching me from freestyle 1 onwards, and working me on some advanced jumps and spins. I tried not to do anything she has not worked me on yet (though my husband said that I can always self teach myself since I do not intend to become a professional skater), as I develop bad habits when I try to self teach myself, and that will teach the coach ages to correct. :roll:

londonicechamp

Skate@Delaware
06-15-2009, 09:41 PM
My LTS was taught in a class with 4-6 other skaters (all adults). I gradually shifted over to a private coach and dropped the LTS class. I just went back to the class for the past 7 weeks, but it wasn't a LTS program but a freestyle class (ISI 1-4) and much better overall given that the class was taught by coaches not "instructors." I like being with others my age and really missed that in private lessons.

dance2sk8
06-15-2009, 10:03 PM
I took Learn To Skate for Adults - ranged from having 1-2 instructors and 5-6 adults per session. I started this January and ended up completing 8 levels of Basic skills in under 2 months. That's when I found my coach and moved on from there for private lessons and coaching. Been worth every penny. ;)

If I do go back to LTS, its only for the social aspects. I made some friends through those classes.

luckykid
06-16-2009, 12:59 AM
What level does learn to skate cover?
My learn to skate lessons were all sorts of places.
I first had lessons in Japan. It was a group class.. huge one. Well it was free.
Then I came to Malaysia. I took 6 lessons with 10 people.
After that, I took private lessons.
Group class isn't really an option since you have to find your own friends. So I settled with private because I didn't really have that many friends who wanted to skate.

sk8joyful
06-19-2009, 03:21 AM
Learn To Skate, for adults: with 1 coach, & 1 youth-assistant, and 5-7 adults per session. I've only had 2 classes thus far.
next,
2 coaches helped for a bit, but they didn't understand my physical challenges at the time, & I couldn't explain it.
then,
2 other private students helped me along. And I have gained the most progress with this most recent one. She is a gem :bow: worth her weight in gold... :!:

Kat12
06-19-2009, 06:17 AM
Dance2sk8, did you take the class at DSC by any chance?

londonicechamp
06-19-2009, 01:33 PM
Hi

Well my LTS size in London is too big (over 10 for a Wed. adult lesson), the coach did not have time to correct the bad habits that I picked up from my right leg forward crossovers.

At least now I am having private lessons back at home, in Singapore, my private coach is working on correcting my bad habits. :roll: Bad habits really die hard!!! :cry: Hopefully now I go to rink for practise 3 times a week (as I have lessons on alternate weeks twice a week), I can work on correcting them and getting rid of them once and for all. :halo:

londonicechamp

MQSeries
06-20-2009, 08:57 AM
Started out with Pre-Alpha, Alpha, etc. I still remember the order to "March. March. March. Glide. Repeat." :) The first pair of skates I owned was a $15.00 pair bought from one of those Wallmart-like store that no longer exists. The blades were molded into the boots. I thought they were the greatest thing, LOL.

dance2sk8
06-21-2009, 10:10 PM
Dance2sk8, did you take the class at DSC by any chance?

Why, yes I did! :D