View Full Version : In skating, what is your favourite feeling?

Sessy
03-31-2008, 05:42 AM
Mine is doing backwards crossovers on razor sharp blades and feeling the ice grip on the inside and the outside edge in turn as you fly over the ice.

What's yours?

smelltheice
03-31-2008, 06:10 AM
It would have to be doing overhead lifts in pairs. It has an amazing feeling of power and grace when it goes well

Skate@Delaware
03-31-2008, 06:16 AM
It has to be that Zen-like feeling as though the ice and I are ONE!!! Such an awesome feeling, especially when I'm competing, and I just FEEL instead of SKATE!!!!! I did that two years ago at Bowie, and I don't recall just SKATING but the feeling of being IN the ice.

WOW! :D

onlyhappyonice
03-31-2008, 06:46 AM
Anytime I do something right and don't fall is excellent for little old me haha

sk8_4fun
03-31-2008, 07:20 AM
EVERYTHING! can't think of one thing in particular- if its going well I love the feeling of the ice under my blades. I just love it all. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

looplover
03-31-2008, 08:33 AM
when a sit spin is genuinely low and really fast, that's the best!

SynchroSk8r114
03-31-2008, 09:01 AM
Day-after sore muscles, seriously. I love hard work...or rather, working hard, and I know that when I leave the rink and my leg muscles are killing me and I wake up the next day and don't feel like moving, that's when I know I gave it my all at practice. And, you know what...it only motivates me to get out of bed and get to a 6 a.m. practice. Call me crazy, but that's what does it for me.

On ice, I'd have to say that I love the feeling of a cool--not cold--empty morning session when the ice is clean and you can get in as many patterns of the Viennese, Argentine, and Quickstep as you want without having to worry about stopping for anyone else, which comes in just ahead of being able to really attack my doubles (and fall) without the embarassment that other people are watching.

FallDownGoBoom
03-31-2008, 09:05 AM
I love having the ice to myself (when no one shows up for an odd-hour public or freestyle), and using the whole space well. I'm not confined to a hockey circle or desperately trying to sneak in jumps between other skaters, but flowing and planning. It's a feeling of rare, rare freedom.

flo
03-31-2008, 11:13 AM
Great question. Anytime I hit a position where I feel like I could effortlessly stay there forever, like in a death spiral or layback. Also, between ending a great program and taking your bows to thank the audience. Those couple of "I love this" seconds are priceless.

jskater49
03-31-2008, 11:15 AM
When I do a really swinging swing roll and can hear the edge rip.

j

Morgail
03-31-2008, 11:52 AM
Landing a jump cleanly for the first time. I love that feeling of accomplishment.

icedancer2
03-31-2008, 12:04 PM
Oh so many things - dancing with a guy who is really good and feeling like you are flying...

Like Sessy, doing back crossovers really fast on really nice ice and just feeling like you are flying when you are building up speed

That little swish when you do a perfect 3-turn...

Doing good strong cross-rolls or cross-strokes down the ice at full-speed

Executing the perfect Blues Choctaw...

Bill_S
03-31-2008, 01:05 PM
Sessy's thoughts are exactly like mine - fresh ice and the feeling of well-done stroking. I love just stroking around at a fair speed, and it's easier for me to apply power while stroking backwards. I can really sit into it.

It's the simple pleasures for me.

Gareth
03-31-2008, 01:14 PM
I think the best feeling for me has to be landing good clean doubles, also completing a good reasonably fast and difficult step, I think i like footwork more than jumping and spinning.

GordonSk8erBoi
03-31-2008, 02:28 PM
I was working on back perimeter crossovers this morning and I was really grooving on the feeling of the BI edge when you shift your weight to it and really feel it dig into the ice. It's very cool.

black
03-31-2008, 02:29 PM
Speeeed!! :twisted:

Lateral Freedom.

Skating to most excellent music :D

Holding that edge when you ought to fall down...

sue123
03-31-2008, 03:59 PM
For me, it's the feeling of the cold air hitting your face when you start to get some speed. I love that feeling. And if I actually do a decent spin, I love feeling the hair in my ponytail fly all around me.

kayskate
03-31-2008, 08:06 PM
I also love sore muscles from hard work. I love the rush of skating for long periods of time and being in good shape.

The rip of an edge is wonderful. A spin that lasts forever and is virtually frictionless is incredible. A long moment in the air is unexpected and exciting.

I also love just skating fast and smooth. I wish the rink were bigger.

Kay

vesperholly
03-31-2008, 08:51 PM
Jump landings that go "swoosh" on the BO edge.

A well-centered spin that feels like it could go on forever.

Getting an element back up to snuff after it's gone haywire.

teresa
03-31-2008, 09:23 PM
I have a ton. If I had to pick just one it's that great feeling of learning a new skill and being challenged. I like that pushed feeling. Weird huh?:roll: I find that it makes even the old skills interesting.

teresa

FlyAndCrash
03-31-2008, 11:09 PM
that point during a jump when I feel like Im just floating and weightless.

tidesong
04-01-2008, 05:00 AM
I like it when I manage to land a nice harder jump at a fast speed. (one that requires me to disengage from rotation)

As others say when i hit a spin in any position that is nice and fast and stable and lets me just stay there for a long while.

Spirals on good ice!!!!

Doing a nice step sequence, mitf etc... its just like dancing...

The nice feeling of having had worked out after completing a good session (similar to after running/swimming for me but I'm happy wherever i get that feeling after whatever sport hehe)

Then the performance side, its thrilling to do ANYTHING good on competition/performance ice. All that adrenaline + good feel is like whooooosh.

isakswings
04-01-2008, 10:01 AM
My current favorite feeling would be the excitement of actually FEELING myself do something I wasn't sure I could! Our instrutor is teaching us edges and we were working on outside edges. She demonstrated how to do them and last week I was getting frustrated(with myself) because I couldn't "feel" it. Then, we were skating as a family and I was practicing and practicing my edges. All of a sudden I FELT myself moving and I could totally tell I was getting it! After that, I didn't want to stop skating and I went and worked on my crossovers, which were also better and faster too! I was so proud of myself! Last night we went skating again and I practiced my edges again. I was having a harder time last night, but I could still FEEL I was getting them and I loved it! Now to work on not looking like a dork!! LOL

Ice Dancer
04-01-2008, 10:11 AM
A perfectly centred mulit rev spin. Shame it doesn't happen very often :roll:

Mrs Redboots
04-01-2008, 11:11 AM
When you do something exactly as it should be done! There are times when I want to take a rubbing of my tracings.... like today when I actually managed a couple of BI3s that left a proper 3 on the ice! Couldn't repeat them, though, after that.

Helen88
04-01-2008, 12:17 PM
That feeling that I had the other day - that rare feeling when everything's working, the ice is beautiful, edges are clean, jumps are high and confident, and everything's just wonderful, and you realised that you suddenly know why you skate. And listening to inspiring music, and just knowing that you have something that you love and a passion for something that no one else can possibly understand, but it gives you something to live and work for.

And of course, I like telling people how I got all my bruises :)

doubletoe
04-01-2008, 01:14 PM
- Getting an "apple slice" landing on an axel (the perfect landing feels and sounds like a sharp chopping knife slicing through an apple!)
- a big change-edge spiral on freshly resurfaced ice
- nailing a camel or flying camel spin

JazzySkate
04-01-2008, 04:55 PM
Hearing music that virtually forces me to interpret and create an impromtu 'program' or just ham it up. I try to skate according to either my own music, or someone else's. Those techniques helped me in competing.

celticprincess
04-02-2008, 08:39 PM
Jazzy Skate- I do the same thing. Its sooo much fun:)

My favorite feeling was when I landed 3/4 short of a double loop. I remember I was so mad that I couldn't get my single, I just literally skated as fast as I could and jumped without thinking...and magicly I went around more than once. I probably will never do anything like that again, but that was an AMAZING feeling. Another favorite feeling is when your at a comp..stiking your pose...and you hear your music begin to play and you let it totally take over and you're just performing for the crowd. ANd then you finish your programme and you feel winded, but extremely happy hearing the applause and getting hugged by your coach and friends. ANd all you want to do is compete again. Thats my favorite feeling. Its like alittle piece of magic. Thats why Im still skating and constantly thinking of it.

jazzpants
04-03-2008, 03:45 AM
That one program runthru where all your jumps works, your spins are nice and easy, your footwork is fast, smooth and effortless and all you have to do is "let the edge do the work for 'ya!!!" :bow: