View Full Version : Anyone know how to make a comp. dress?

Luckster013
03-30-2008, 04:38 PM
Lately I've been thinking about making my own skating dress but I have no idea how. I do know how to apply crystals, what material to use and stuff like that, but I don't do a lot of sewing. My grandma is really good at sewing and she could help me, but she's never made a skating dress either. Basically, I need all the help I can get. Has anyone else made their own competition dress? I have know idea where to start. Is this even worth trying or something I should leave up to the professionals?
Thanks for any advice!

NickiT
03-30-2008, 05:12 PM
I have made a few dresses - in fact just made a practice dress yesterday. I recommend the Kwik Sew patterns - there are a few with the basic styles that you can use and adapt if you so wish. I use an overlocker to stitch as you get a professional finish, but before I had that machine I just used a zigzag stitch on my regular machine. I think it's pretty much like anything really - with practice you can improve. I'd recommend you start off with a basic pattern - perhaps make a practice dress - as that will give you a little experience before making something more special.

Nicki

Skate@Delaware
03-30-2008, 05:45 PM
ask your grandma if she has ever mad a swimsuit??? and ask her if she has ever sewn lycra....

It can be done, but if you are a beginner, start with another project. A comp dress is not one to be learning on.

mikawendy
03-30-2008, 11:03 PM
There are a few older threads about sewing dresses--you may be able to find them by searching the On Ice forum for "sewing". A few that I was able to find quickly:
http://www.skatingforums.com/showthread.php?t=26100
http://www.skatingforums.com/showthread.php?t=25860

Mrs Redboots
03-31-2008, 03:01 AM
All you really need is a pretty leotard, either sleeveless or with long sleeves, and a chiffon wrap skirt - a dancewear or gymnastics supply place will be able to sell you these. Then you can stone them and personalise them to suit yourself!

SkatingOnClouds
03-31-2008, 03:13 AM
I agree that the Kwik Sew patterns are good, and that you can make them with an ordinary sewing machine using a narrow zig-zag stitch. And that it's something you get better at with practise.

So go for it! Just don't buy the most expensive fabric around. Making a practise dress - in both senses of the word - is a good way to begin. You will learn from your mistakes.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

Sessy
03-31-2008, 05:44 AM
Lycra is one of the most forgiving fabrics I know. Just make sure to get special "stretch" needles and adjust the top- and bottom pull on the sewing machine to the fabric (else the zigzag is very ugly). If you use a narrow zigzag for stitching, that seam can stretch a little too.

I have jalie patterns, like most my sewing friends, simply because those are the majority of the patterns sold here.

Luckster013
03-31-2008, 06:34 PM
All you really need is a pretty leotard, either sleeveless or with long sleeves, and a chiffon wrap skirt - a dancewear or gymnastics supply place will be able to sell you these. Then you can stone them and personalise them to suit yourself!

Thats a really good idea. Thanks!

Skate@Delaware
04-01-2008, 07:14 AM
This made me think of the DISCO ERA of the 70-80's and the LYCRA LEOTARDS & MATCHING WRAP SKIRTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Man, I wish I had kept ALL of mine!!!!!!!!!! But I never knew I would need them one day for SKATING!!!! ;)