View Full Version : Jumps with hands in the air

Sessy
03-27-2008, 03:53 PM
I'm seeing a lot of them, especially axels, and I even saw two double toes at the world championships with the hands in the air. Now the commentors were like, "that's hard to do!" but I don't get it - isn't that incorrect jumping technique?

johns135
03-27-2008, 04:07 PM
Maybe some transplanted gymnasts? Hands up is the "set" position in
gymnastics before wrapping for spin ?? I remember seeing a few top
skaters about 20 years ago using a "set" in their jumping takeoffs.
Brian Boitano was one of them. The timing is a little slow for skating
jumps, and also, the spin comes from the pre-rotation on the ice before
the takeoff. You can't do that in gymnastics, so the spin comes after
the set, and is generally a conversion out of the flip. Still, some coaches
seem to think a set might work in ice jumps. I tried it a few times ( I was
a gymnast 100 years ago ), and it does work.

johns

patatty
03-27-2008, 04:25 PM
I never heard it described as incorrect technique, but rather a variation that makes the jump harder. I have a one hand raised lutz in my artistic program, and a lutz with both hands up in my free skate program, and the one with both hands raised is definitely harder than a basic jump, because you can't use your arms to get any rotation. Also with the lutz, you have to be leaning really far back on the takeoff, because the arms in the air tend to throw the balance more forward.

doubletoe
03-27-2008, 05:23 PM
The jump really happens from the hips down. Pulling arms in helps with rotation, but if your technique is good, it isn't necessary (which is why you sometimes see skaters practicing axels with their arms crossed over their chests in preparation for learning the double axel). As long as the rest of the jump is executed well, ISU guidelines recommend giving a positive grade of execution for a jump with a variation of arm position in the air. Of course it has to be clear that the arm position is controlled and intentional, LOL!

twokidsskatemom
03-27-2008, 07:52 PM
my daughter does her lutz and flip with her arm up, and has done her axel with her arm up. makes it harder and looks nice 8-)

dbny
03-27-2008, 08:50 PM
Any jump done with one arm up is now called a "Tano" jump after Brian Boitano, who made it popular with his triple lutz, one arm up.

Skate@Delaware
03-27-2008, 09:50 PM
Sessy, it isn't wrong technique. It is more difficult. Try it with a waltz jump, for starters and see how that goes. That is a good jump to start with arm variations-both overhead, one over/one to the side, etc...

Have fun!!!

Sessy
03-28-2008, 04:20 AM
OK I thought it was wrong cuz at our club the coach was upset a girl couldn't do a double if she wasn't doing a weird thing with her arms.

Skittl1321
03-28-2008, 07:47 AM
OK I thought it was wrong cuz at our club the coach was upset a girl couldn't do a double if she wasn't doing a weird thing with her arms.

That sounds like it is wrong technique, but because she can't do the regular jump. It has to be an intentional, controlled variation. Of course, the judge wouldn't know she can't do it correctly.

Like an inside edge on a spin/backspin??- it's a harder variation, but a lot of skaters can't do it correctly to start with (outside edge) and slip onto the inside edge. That isn't a more advanced variation if they aren't in control of it.

Skate@Delaware
03-28-2008, 08:52 AM
Maybe he was upset with her because he wanted her to do it that particular way...who knows why?

flippet
03-28-2008, 12:14 PM
If your shoulders and hips are in the right place, it doesn't matter where your arms are, at least as far as "correct" goes. After that, it's all artistic variation.

skaternum
03-28-2008, 04:32 PM
There's a difference between doing a weird thing with your arms in the air because you basic jump technique is bad vs. using your arms to create intereting positions. It *is* harder to do a jump with creative arm positions because it requires you to have your core and hips in correct alignment -- no room for error. I've done loops and lutzes with arms in what a ballet dancer would consider 3rd position over my head. Helps get extra credit for a jump and can look cool if appropriate to the music & program.

Sessy
03-29-2008, 07:40 AM
Yeah take it easy, I'm not doubting it's harder (cuz hey it took me a year between being able to do "a" 3-turn and being able to do one with my hands over my head and it's harder on the scratch spin too), I was just asking what the deal on it was cuz I was confused.

So would jumping with your arms over your head be good for practicing to get the alignment perfect?

Skate@Delaware
03-29-2008, 07:13 PM
Yeah take it easy, I'm not doubting it's harder (cuz hey it took me a year between being able to do "a" 3-turn and being able to do one with my hands over my head and it's harder on the scratch spin too), I was just asking what the deal on it was cuz I was confused.

So would jumping with your arms over your head be good for practicing to get the alignment perfect?
It would be better to have great alignment first, then you can play around with arm positions. You need the stability first.