View Full Version : getting discouraged please help-my toes are numb

iceballerina
03-26-2008, 11:30 PM
I haven't posted here in a while. I have been trying STILL to break in my SP Teris and it's just frustrating. What would cause my toes to go numb? Am I lacing too tight? At first I thought it was because they were cold, but my left foot was ok and the right one was having problems, so I don't think it's a tempature issue. I do have bunions and have had the boots punched out several times and it has helped, but sometimes it can be very painful after 1.5 hours on the ice. I can't seem to get past the 2 hour mark without being in pain. The first hour is ok, but then my bunions start to hurt or my some of my toes will go numb. Sometimes I wear the nylon socks and sometimes I wear really thin cotton socks. My feet are so temperamental!!!!

SkatingOnClouds
03-27-2008, 02:24 AM
Really hard to know, but I don't believe you should be in so much pain in so short a time.

What level of skater are you, eg what elements are you doing, and what model of SP Teri boot do you have? Just wondering whether your boot is too stiff for your skating standard.

vesperholly
03-27-2008, 03:13 AM
My toes go numb a lot when I am teaching learn to skate, but a bit of stroking and turns usually gets the feeling back. That leads me to believe it's probably because I laced my boots tightly but wasn't able to loosen them at all by skating like I usually do.

Have you tried varying your lacing? Sometimes it helps me to tie my skates standing up, that way I don't choke my leg. :)

iceballerina
03-27-2008, 10:15 AM
I have only been skating a few years. I have the SP Teri Pro but they had to be special ordered because I was a D width and B heel. I got club 2000 blades, so it was around $650 after it was all said and done. I skate recreationally, but still seriously, so I only get on the ice about 4 hours a week. My public sessions are 2 hours, but as I said I barely make it past one hour sometimes. The only jump I do is waltz and salchow-trying to learn others, but jumping hurts after a while. I practice my crossovers and 1 foot spin, so I am not doing any big stuff, so it's been hard to break in the boots. I can dance in pointe shoes for ballet and my feet are fine, so my bunions aren't so bad that I can't do things. Believe me if my bunions were that bad, I wouldn't be able to dance in pointe shoes. They actually are easier to break in than ice skates.

flippet
03-27-2008, 11:18 AM
You're probably lacing a bit too tightly over the instep. I also have SP Teris, SuperTeris, and they are little concrete blocks (but I love them so much). They are rather difficult to break in. Before these, I'd only had Riedells, up to Silver Stars (the old 355 model), and while it took a week or two of skating, I was able to break those in by simply skating. With my SP Teris, I found that skating alone was NOT going to do the trick. I had to take them to get the ankles punched out, and they were much more comfortable after that.

Have you had yours punched out anywhere? I recommend doing that for any spot that's still too snug. Pressure on the ankle bones can also cause numb toes, as the blood flow is constricted somewhat.

iceballerina
03-27-2008, 12:01 PM
When I first got them, I had to have them punch out a spot near my ankle bone-not the big one that stick outs but a smaller one sort of bellow it to the side (talkng about the inside of the foot) -in fact I wasn't even aware of that bone until I skated on them for the first time-it really hurt. It was ok after that. I have had the bunion areas punched it about 3 or 4 times now because it kept reverting back. I will say I probably lace up the ankle and top of the foot part tight because I don't like to make the part around my toes and bunions tight, so maybe I am making it too tight elsewhere. I will a blister around the outside of my ankle after jumping it they arent tight enough. What do you suggest?

doubletoe
03-27-2008, 01:19 PM
There is a major vein that runs right down the top of the foot, over the instep. If you lace tight through that area, you'll cut off circulation to your toes. Instead, lace tight in the toes and ankle but just snug--not tight--through the instep. BTW, are you lacing all the way up to the top hook? With my SP Teri's I've always left the top hook undone until I felt that I absolutely needed it for my jump landings. Lacing all the way up with new boots can make it hard to get enough ankle bend.

CanAmSk8ter
03-27-2008, 01:53 PM
You could try skating barefoot, too. I know it's counterintuitive, but skating barefoot a) increases circulation, as your feet sweat, and b) gives you a tiny bit of extra room in the skate, which can be enough to improve your circulation if the skates are snug.

Some people love skating barefoot, others hate it, but it might be worth a shot. I have Reyanud Syndrome, and skating barefoot is the only thing that's really helped with my circulation. Just make sure you air your skates out after, because otherwise the increased sweat can really make them start to smell.:twisted:

Hannahclear
03-27-2008, 04:15 PM
I have the numb toe problem, especially during the cold season. It's never an issue in the summer. I think I will try lacing them a bit looser around the instep.

I totally sympathize with the OP, numb toes suck!

iceballerina
03-27-2008, 04:42 PM
I will also try to lace them looser because I did get some pain in the area you mentioned on the top of the foot. Maybe I can cut off a sock and put that on the ankle area to lessen the rubbing.

doubletoe
03-27-2008, 05:35 PM
I will also try to lace them looser because I did get some pain in the area you mentioned on the top of the foot. Maybe I can cut off a sock and put that on the ankle area to lessen the rubbing.

Gel-lined ankle sleeves (Bunga or Silipos) and gel disks are great for eliminating ankle rubbing and irritation. You can find them online and at most skate shops. Now I wear ankle sleeves inside my boots even when the boots are old and completely broken in. The gel disks are good for specific spots, especially when the boots are still new and stiff.

iceballerina
03-27-2008, 07:25 PM
I am definitely gonna get some of those-this could be just what I need-thanks!

dbny
03-27-2008, 09:06 PM
I skate barefoot and love it. I had a hard time breaking in my new custom Klingbeils because I had to wear them for many hours at a time right away. What eventually helped me was to take them off, even for just 10 or 15 minutes whenever I could. That, plus Salonpas medicated patches for the bruised areas got me through it, and I can now wear them for many hours without a break. Various parts of my feet hurt when I take them off, but not for very long, and I still occasionally use a Salonpas patch.

flippet
03-28-2008, 12:40 PM
I will say I probably lace up the ankle and top of the foot part tight because I don't like to make the part around my toes and bunions tight, so maybe I am making it too tight elsewhere. What do you suggest?

This is likely exactly your problem, then. As others mentioned, you want to only tighten the laces over your foot so that they aren't actually loose--so that they're kind of just laying there, but not actively tightening. When you get to the last set of holes (or two, maybe) before the hooks, yank those puppies as tight as you can. Then keep them snug, but gradually loosen them just a bit on the way up the hooks, so that you can fit two fingers into the top of your boot. (Or, just don't hook the top one or two sets of hooks. I wore my SP Teri's for a couple of years, and I *never* actually hooked the top hooks. They just never got soft enough to, and I needed the room for good knee bend.)

Oh, and as far as extra room in the boot goes--I tried skating barefoot once, and I got horrendous blisters. Hated it. But I skate in nylon knee-hi stockings--I usually fold the top down over the hooks, and that helps save my footless tights from getting snagged, too. They are great--thinner than socks or tights, they breathe well, and unlike regular tights, I can still access my feet quickly without undressing.

iceballerina
03-28-2008, 05:01 PM
Thanks for the tips. I will give it a shot. I also either use super thin socks or the sock tights like you mentioned. I like the ones by Body Wrappers from the dance store-they are softer than the ones that they have at my skate shop and less scratchy. Capezio makes some too, but they are kinda short. I couldn't go barefoot either as I need to keep my bunions warm because if my feet get too cold they would cramp up and I too would get blisters.

iceballerina
03-31-2008, 08:52 PM
So, I am going to practice tomorrow and I don't have the bunga silipos pads yet (ordering online). I was wondering if I should maybe use my legwarmers to take up some space in the ankle because I will be wearing the sock tights and I don't want to lace them too tight so I can see if that helps with the numbness and pain I was having. What do you think?

flippet
04-01-2008, 09:27 AM
So, I am going to practice tomorrow and I don't have the bunga silipos pads yet (ordering online). I was wondering if I should maybe use my legwarmers to take up some space in the ankle because I will be wearing the sock tights and I don't want to lace them too tight so I can see if that helps with the numbness and pain I was having. What do you think?

Hm. I don't think I'd try that--sounds like a recipe for blisters and frustration, if you ask me.

However, in a pinch, those cheap, round make-up sponges make a decent substitute for Bunga pads. Stop by the drugstore on your way to the rink, and pick some up!

isakswings
04-01-2008, 09:44 AM
Gel-lined ankle sleeves (Bunga or Silipos) and gel disks are great for eliminating ankle rubbing and irritation. You can find them online and at most skate shops. Now I wear ankle sleeves inside my boots even when the boots are old and completely broken in. The gel disks are good for specific spots, especially when the boots are still new and stiff.

How small do they make those? I'm thinking when we buy my daughter's new skates, will buy those for her. Her current skates we purchansed lightly used, and I did not hear her complain about ankle pain. Her old skates were new and BOY oh BOY did my little drama queen let me know she was in pain! I would like to avoid that scene next time, so I think I will go for those gel inserts if they make them small enough. LOL!

iceballerina
04-01-2008, 10:14 AM
Hm. I don't think I'd try that--sounds like a recipe for blisters and frustration, if you ask me.

However, in a pinch, those cheap, round make-up sponges make a decent substitute for Bunga pads. Stop by the drugstore on your way to the rink, and pick some up!

Well, no worries, since I am a makeup artist, I have lots of those-do you just tape them on?? I can't see them staying in place..

flippet
04-01-2008, 10:19 AM
Well, no worries, since I am a makeup artist, I have lots of those-do you just tape them on?? I can't see them staying in place..

I used them over my ankle bones, and I never had a problem with them moving. If your skates are tight enough so they don't fall out, they won't move. :mrgreen:

iceballerina
04-01-2008, 10:42 AM
http://www.kaboodle.com/hi/img/2/0/0/27/1/AAAAAp4IH4oAAAAAACcbMg.jpg

is this what you are talking about? just want to make sure it's the right kind. Some are spongy like this and some are for powder that are more cotton material. I might try a variet of things today and see what works best.

jenlyon60
04-01-2008, 10:51 AM
The spongy ones are what you want.

iceballerina
04-01-2008, 03:10 PM
I am back from the rink. I skated for 1.5 hours. I took your advice and used the makeup sponges and laced the boots looser. It kinda felt weird like they might fall off, but surprisingly, they didn't and I didn't get any blisters from jumping-I only do waltz and salchow, :oops: but still. I think I was lacing them way way way too tight and I am going to have to get used to doing it loser-maybe it's like a security blanket. I didn't wear my legwarmers but I did wear my sock tights and my footless gaynor minden knit tights-which by the way I like better than the Mondor-they are soooo soft, but not too thick. I think if I just wore the sock tights, then I might need to try the thin legwarmer to take up a bit more room in the ankle area before I order the bunga things. Because I don't know if I want something tight and clingy around my ankle. My toes were still a little numb-felt the pins and needles sensation when I took my skates off and started wiggling them, so I think circulation might be an issue with me. I think by trial and error it will get better. Thanks again!!!:P :P :P

flippet
04-01-2008, 06:12 PM
I think if I just wore the sock tights, then I might need to try the thin legwarmer to take up a bit more room in the ankle area

I'm not sure I'm understanding you correctly---you'd stuff the legwarmer down inside the ankle area of the skate?

I wouldn't do that--I wouldn't stick anything into the boot other than A) your foot, B) some kind of sock or tights over that foot, and C) perhaps a bunga pad or makeup sponge over any sensitive/painful parts.

Seriously--a legwarmer would move, and if you have room to stuff that down a skate, you probably have too much room. (You do want room to tuck a couple of fingers down, but that's not "room", if you know what I mean.)

Also, if your skates are tied snugly at the bottom of the ankle, and snug enough up the hooks that you don't have any lateral movement, you wouldn't need to "take up room" anyway. If your skates are honestly *that* roomy, then perhaps they're not the right size.

For instance, here's a picture of Michelle Kwan--look at the space between her skate and ankle. Perfectly normal and desirable. In fact, it could be larger without harm.

http://www.leahadams.com/photo/NPics_09082005/MKFinalLong4X6_conv.jpg

iceballerina
04-01-2008, 06:40 PM
I see what you mean now-the photo helps. The leg warmers would go inside the boot just the ankle part the same as the bunga sleeve-they are not really thick ones though-they fit snug enough so they won't move -similar to a sock. I won't do it if you don't think it's a good idea. I am trying to not lace them too tight-I guess I need to find right amount of tension so it's not cutting off circulation or on the other hand my heel is slipping.

vesperholly
04-01-2008, 07:28 PM
I see what you mean now-the photo helps. The leg warmers would go inside the boot just the ankle part the same as the bunga sleeve-they are not really thick ones though-they fit snug enough so they won't move -similar to a sock. I won't do it if you don't think it's a good idea. I am trying to not lace them too tight-I guess I need to find right amount of tension so it's not cutting off circulation or on the other hand my heel is slipping.
I think you'd be better off just not tying them so tight!

Sk8Dreamer
04-01-2008, 09:52 PM
I am trying to not lace them too tight-I guess I need to find right amount of tension so it's not cutting off circulation or on the other hand my heel is slipping.
I have had this problem a lot. I don't tighten my laces at all until I get up to the ankle, at which point I have to pull them snug enough to keep my heel back. It seems to work, though I often have to adjust the lacing once during a session.

Query
04-02-2008, 12:53 AM
As for the repeated punches.

Leather tends to go back to where it was. Unless it is shaped the way boots are made in the first place - heat, moisture, a lot of time and pressure.

Here is a way to punch leather that will stay pretty long: Condition with Lexol (or something lighter if your boots are suede). (Water works better, but tends to crack and rot leather unless you know what you are doing.) Use the stretcher for an hour, as tight as you dare. Then retighten it. Wait about 8 hours. Retighten again. Wait a day. This procedure works because leather stretches best when it is stretched gradually. If you can, get the boot up near 100 degrees first, and use a low temperature boot dryer that doesn't get above that during the stretch. If you go much above that, you are re-heat molding your boots, and everything will go out of shape.

I heard on TV that Michelle Kwan has major problems with her feet and boots. Not sure she is a good example. She was pointing her foot that shows the larger gap in the picture, which probably enlarged the gap.

flippet
04-02-2008, 11:17 AM
I heard on TV that Michelle Kwan has major problems with her feet and boots. Not sure she is a good example. She was pointing her foot that shows the larger gap in the picture, which probably enlarged the gap.

I was just trying to illustrate that having a slight gap at the top of the boot isn't a bad thing. Having the top edge of your boot practically plastered to your leg isn't necessarily the goal, doesn't mean your boot is properly tied, or tight, and having a gap doesn't necessarily mean that your boot is loose.

That's all.