View Full Version : Directions from Albany to Lake Placid?

daisies
03-26-2008, 08:44 PM
The official directions from points south are:

Take the NY State Thruway (I-87) north to Exit 24 (Albany).
Take I-87 north (Adirondack Northway) to Exit 30.
Turn left onto Route 9 north and follow it for two miles to Route 73.
Continue left on Route 73 for 28 miles into Lake Placid.
At first light turn left onto Route 86.

Here's my question. Why are there two separate exits off of I-87 north? If I am coming from Albany airport, do I just disregard the first line and take the I-87 north to exit 30?

I have been to Lake Placid four times, but each time I drove from Montreal. That was cost-prohibitive this time, so this Albany thing is new to me!

NoVa Sk8r
03-26-2008, 08:55 PM
Here's my question. Why are there two separate exits off of I-87 north? If I am coming from Albany airport, do I just disregard the first line and take the I-87 north to exit 30?Because the Thruway (I-87) south of Albany turns into I-90 (to Syracuse/Rochester/Buffalo). You effectively have to exit I-87 (south of Albany) to get on I-87 (north of Albany). If you are already at the airport, which is off the "northern" part of I-87, then, yes, disregard the first direction bullet point. That is, from the airport, you get on I-87 at exit 4 (I believe), and you just take I-87 north to exit 30 and follow the directions as listed.

dbny
03-26-2008, 10:37 PM
Because the Thruway (I-87) south of Albany turns into I-90 (to Syracuse/Rochester/Buffalo).

Not really. I-87 runs from south of Albany all the way to the northern parts of NYC. North of Albany, I-87 is known as the Northway, and runs all the way up to the border with Canada south of Montreal. With Albany in the dead center of the northern and southern parts of I-87, it is necessary to exit and re-enter anytime you are passing Albany. The southern part of I-87 is a toll road, and the toll for that part of the trip is paid at the Albany exit. The northern part is free. You can connect with I-90 from either direction on I-87 and head either northwest to Syracuse/Rochester/Buffalo or southeast to Boston.

You do get onto the Northway from the Albany airport, and I think it is exit 4, but that won't matter if you are entering, and there are signs to exit for the airport (Wolf Rd).

NoVa Sk8r
03-26-2008, 11:18 PM
(As I grew up off the Taconic State Pkwy, I actually prefer to take that to Albany in lieu of the evil Thruway!)

Black Sheep
03-27-2008, 08:57 AM
....I'll just get directions from the rental-car desk about the best way to get onto I-87 North, then follow my printed directions to LP from there. :)

daisies
03-27-2008, 01:01 PM
This L.A. girl is totally confused! :)

OK, so ... from the airport I just get on the I-87 North? I don't have to worry about getting off and getting on again?

My flight doesn't even arrive into Albany until almost 10pm, so I'm doing all of this in the dark. Help!

NoVa Sk8r
03-27-2008, 04:26 PM
OK, so ... from the airport I just get on the I-87 North? I don't have to worry about getting off and getting on again?Yes, just follow signs for I-87 North (the Northway). I think to exit the airport, you will take Albany-Shaker Road, which hits into I-87.

daisies
03-27-2008, 04:27 PM
Thank you!

dbny
03-27-2008, 08:48 PM
Yes, just follow signs for I-87 North (the Northway). I think to exit the airport, you will take Albany-Shaker Road, which hits into I-87.

That sounds right to me. The Northway and the route from there to LP can be quite dark and not well traveled late at night. Make sure you have a full tank of gas, and be aware that there is no cell phone coverage in parts of the Adirondacks, including stretches of the Northway.

As I was falling asleep last night, into my mind popped a picture of I-87 N just before the Albany exit. I realized that you are quite right - that if you don't take that exit, you will be funnelled onto I-90 for Buffalo, etc.