View Full Version : Train to AN

flo
03-26-2008, 12:40 PM
Hi,
Has anyone taken Amtrack to Westport New York? I'm thinking of taking the train there then renting a car.
Thanks!

CanAmSk8ter
03-26-2008, 01:00 PM
I did several years ago, but things got really screwed up because the train was several hours behind schedule. There were a couple other passengers who were doing what I was doing, taking the train to Westport and then the bus to Lake Placid, but the bus was long gone so they sent a limo for us :D I didn't realize you could rent a car in Westport, but I was only 19 at the time so I couldn't have anyhow.

From Westport it would be a pretty easy drive to LP... maybe 90 minutes? I can't remember what exit Westport is, but it's not that far. You'd get on I-87, get off at exit 29 (or 30, I think it's 29) and from there it's a pretty, scenic 45-60 minute drive.

flo
03-26-2008, 01:46 PM
Thanks! I appreciate the information. Depending on the schedule, I may take the train to Albany or Westport. I have practice Ice in Sunday.
Flying is becoming such a pain.

dbny
03-26-2008, 08:30 PM
Do not take the train. That line is notoriously late, off schedule, or otherwise FUBAR. I have a lot of experience with it, as we camp midway between Westport and Lake Placid every summer. We often have our kids or guests take the train one way or the other, and have also had friends from up there take the train to the city. There is no end to the problems with it.

By the way, if you did go via Westport, you would not get on I87 at all. You would take 9N east (crossing under I87 at a right angle) through Elizabethtown, and connect with 73 just before Keene Valley. The LP exit from I87 is the one before the exit for Westport/Elizabethtown, and 9N east from WPort to Etown puts you right where you would be if you took that LP exit and progressed north on 9 to 73 on the way to LP.

dbny
03-26-2008, 08:39 PM
Sorry, I can't emphasize this enough. If you want that practice ice, avoid the train. The one time I can remember it being relatively on time, was when the PA system malfunctioned and my DD & her BF (admittedly drowsy) did not hear the announcement for their stop, missed it, and had to wait for the southbound train to go back. Another wonderful trip on that train left DD & BF stranded at Whitecastle (with a different train stuck in a tunnel) for over 2 hours before busses were sent for them. Luckily, we heard about it and drove down and got them, ferrying some southbound passengers on our way. Then there was the time that our friend's 13 yr old son took the train to visit us in mid August, and there was no air conditioning and the train was delayed 3 hours. The one time I was going to take it, there had been floods that washed out a bridge, so busses were substituted and that added several hours to a 7 hour trip - I drove.

starskate6.0
03-27-2008, 08:18 AM
Come with us to Oberstdorf Flo... yu can set your watch by a German Train. Never late.. :D

flo
03-27-2008, 11:17 AM
Thanks Ross - maybe next year!

Actually, the train to Westport does not run on Sunday, so I'll probably take it to Albany and get a rental there. Hopefully it's more reliable???????

dbny
03-27-2008, 09:11 PM
Thanks Ross - maybe next year!

Actually, the train to Westport does not run on Sunday, so I'll probably take it to Albany and get a rental there. Hopefully it's more reliable???????

You know, I may have the wrong train entirely. I'm talking about the NYC to Montreal line (http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Amtrak/am2Route/Vertical_Route_Page&c=am2Route&cid=1080842092695&ssid=134), which does run on Sunday (http://www.amtrak.com/timetable/oct07/P68.pdf). I don't know of any other train that stops at Westport.

flo
03-28-2008, 11:01 AM
Your right, it does. I don't know why it changed my dates to Monday. I'll try again, but from what you say, it may be better to go to Albany on the Empire line and drive.

dbny
03-28-2008, 09:22 PM
it may be better to go to Albany on the Empire line and drive.

I do think that's the safer choice. The drive from Albany is not bad, especially after you get past Clifton Park at exit 9.