View Full Version : So there I was in Neiman Marcus...

FallDownGoBoom
03-25-2008, 09:51 PM
So there I was in Neiman Marcus. Ready to sob.

The shoes, darlings. The shoes.

Wee ballerina flats. Lovely little numbers that a fairy might choose. Amy Jo Gladstone slippers of all kinds. Delman. Cole Haan, which I used to wear religiously. And Tod's. Oh, Tod's. For years and years your nubby soles soothed my toelets.

I considered them all. And I concluded: My feet, my formerly fetching feet, have been destroyed by skating. What were heel spurs have become hell spurs. The bunions could be golf balls.

I wouldn't feel so bad if I were a good skater, the kind with a single everything and a decent spin. But that's not the case. It likely never will be.

Sigh. My feet no longer are worthy of Neiman Marcus glory.

Fairy godmother? I want my old shoes back. I want my old feet back.

flo
03-25-2008, 10:13 PM
And at the same time there was someone with perfect delicate feet adorned with ballerina flats watching worlds on TV and wishing they could get up the nerve to give skating a try.

ibreakhearts66
03-26-2008, 12:15 AM
look at the bright side--since you won't be spending money on expensive shoes, you can pay for more ice time! and also, you could get the same heel spurs from wearing pumps. skating is a more enjoyable way to get those pump bumps.

Skate@Delaware
03-26-2008, 08:45 AM
oh, but there was the time at the shoe counter, while trying on some shoes when the woman said, "Oh my, are you a dancer???" because of THOSE FEET!!!!!

Um no, I skate.

silence, then, "Wow! You are so brave! That is even BETTER than being a dancer!!!" then she proceeded to tell everyone there that THIS WOMAN SKATES ISN'T THAT WONDERFUL, HOW BRAVE!!!

sheesh!!! :oops: (but I did feel good about it, and she never asked if I did "tricks")

Skittl1321
03-26-2008, 08:49 AM
It's funny this post popped up today. Just last night I was complaining because I used to have cute feet. And now they aren't quite as cute (but not too bad yet). I was telling my husband I need to switch back to ballet, because my pointe shoes were NOTHING compared to the skates.

The skates hurt. Always. The pointe shoes only hurt after long rehearsals.

I think the difference here is -properly fitted pointe shoes. -improperly fitted skates.

Skate@Delaware
03-26-2008, 08:59 AM
lets face it-our feet are not going to be cute! bumps, bunions, corns, calluses....yeah. All we can do is take care of them the best we can.

If we hang out with people that understand this (skaters, dancers, etc) then who cares????

Skittl1321
03-26-2008, 09:00 AM
If we hang out with people that understand this (skaters, dancers, etc) then who cares????

Husbands?

and because the forum is telling me that response is too short:
random passerbyers when I'm wearing flip flops :)

Skate@Delaware
03-26-2008, 09:08 AM
Husbands?

my husband doesn't care

and i don't care what other people think of me....:roll: they don't pay my bills.

coskater64
03-26-2008, 09:32 AM
I got custom skates early on and now that I have changed over to heat moldable customs I have no blisters. I have always taped and protected my feet, I have small bunions but not really noticeable. If you also consider I do pointe work my feet should be suffering but...not really. I just use those little gel pads in my pointe shoes and slowly add time each month.

My shoe collection is something I was teased about when I taught: aka Imelda Marcos of XXX middle school. Not many folks wear stilletos to teach I still wear them still love them and they still fit. Monthly pedicures help. :D

onlyhappyonice
03-26-2008, 09:37 AM
Husbands?

I skate with my missus so I'm not likely to care what her feet are like, beside mine are bad anyway (to which she does complain quite often, no smell... just not the prettiest feet a guy could have)

SynchroSk8r114
03-26-2008, 10:23 AM
oh, but there was the time at the shoe counter, while trying on some shoes when the woman said, "Oh my, are you a dancer???" because of THOSE FEET!!!!!

Um no, I skate.

silence, then, "Wow! You are so brave! That is even BETTER than being a dancer!!!" then she proceeded to tell everyone there that THIS WOMAN SKATES ISN'T THAT WONDERFUL, HOW BRAVE!!!

sheesh!!! :oops: (but I did feel good about it, and she never asked if I did "tricks")

LOL! When I started skating at 8 years old, my coach warned me that next to ballet dancers, figure skaters have the ugliest feet. It's unavoidable. Well, 13 skating years later, my feet are as ugly as ever.

I wouldn't trade my battle scars for the world though. These feet have gotten me my Gold in Senior MIF and are four dances away from my Gold in ice dance. They've landed more doubles and taken more spins on their sweet spot than I care to count. I am proud to tell others who gasp at the sight of my bumpy, dry, calloused feet and ankles that scream "I've been shackled!" that I am a figure skater! :bow:

Kim to the Max
03-26-2008, 10:28 AM
I'm lucky...my feet aren't horribly bad...but they are getting there...no bunions or corns or anything yet, but dang are they dry and callused and currently have scabs from where my boots rubbed the wrong way when I forgot my bunga sleeves! I really need to stop wearing them permanently.... :(

But, like others, I wouldn't trade it for anything!!

skaternum
03-26-2008, 11:36 AM
I danced on pointe for years, and I'll agree that skates are MUCH worse on my feet than pointe shoes. I just spent the last 2.5 years wearing shoes that allow my feet to spread out as they wish. Now that I'm back on the ice, I'm asking them to get squished and pinched, all while trying desperately to activate enough muscles to compensate for my diminshed proprioception. My feet hurt constantly on the ice. Stupid boots. (How I've missed them! :P )

Bill_S
03-26-2008, 12:23 PM
You guys are focusing too much on feet.

Think of the other assets you're making quite firm.

quarkiki2
03-26-2008, 01:16 PM
Down, Bill, down! Good boy...

My feet are fine. Maybe this is the key to my non-success... I have yet to ruin my feet en pointe or in skates...

I've even had two full-term babies and I'm still wearing the shoes I wore pre-Milo. My mom can't believe my feet didn't spread after two kids. I wish they had so I HAD to get new shoes, but nope. It is good in that I also didn't need new skates, though. I worried about that.

doubletoe
03-26-2008, 01:54 PM
So there I was in Neiman Marcus. Ready to sob.

The shoes, darlings. The shoes.

Wee ballerina flats. Lovely little numbers that a fairy might choose. Amy Jo Gladstone slippers of all kinds. Delman. Cole Haan, which I used to wear religiously. And Tod's. Oh, Tod's. For years and years your nubby soles soothed my toelets.

I considered them all. And I concluded: My feet, my formerly fetching feet, have been destroyed by skating. What were heel spurs have become hell spurs. The bunions could be golf balls.

I wouldn't feel so bad if I were a good skater, the kind with a single everything and a decent spin. But that's not the case. It likely never will be.

Sigh. My feet no longer are worthy of Neiman Marcus glory.

Fairy godmother? I want my old shoes back. I want my old feet back.

It's at that point that you continue on to the lovely Neiman Marcus premium denim section, where women are forking over $200 for that one perfect pair of jeans that will make it look like they have a nice shapely skater's butt. And there you'll be in the dressing room, saying, "I don't know. . . they ALL look good on me. . ." :twisted:
P.S. I don't have pretty feet anymore, either, so I just collect cute boots. I'm into cowboy boots right now. . . They go well with all my booty-hugging jeans. ;)

Skate@Delaware
03-26-2008, 01:54 PM

Nothing like a guy to put things in perspective!!!

Which reminds me of another thread a while back...

http://www.skatingforums.com/showthread.php?t=23623&highlight=jeans

:giveup:

Isk8NYC
03-26-2008, 01:58 PM

Um no, I skate.

Sooooo...how many pairs did you buy from her? ROFLOL

coskater64
03-26-2008, 02:15 PM
The worse thing I ever did to my feet.--The Peace Corps, I wore Birkenstocks almost constantly for 1 1/2 years my feet went from an 8A to a 9B. 15 years later they are an 8 1/2 a-b, sigh...my pointe shoes are the size of a small destroyer at 9 1/2 AA.

At this point I don't look at shoe size I just like shoes that fit.:oops:

For any of you who haven't tried LuLu Lemon they have pants that will make you booty look booty-licious, also nice and long so they cover the heel of your skate.

onlyhappyonice
03-26-2008, 02:17 PM
Nothing like a guy to put things in perspective!!!

Will somebody buy falldowngoboom some vouchers for the bodyshop and a therapist :lol:

and I'm with bill....

mmmmm female skaters (drools)

FallDownGoBoom
03-26-2008, 09:40 PM
You guys always give me a good pick-me-up.

I'm amazed that you say ice skates are harder on feet than pointe shoes. Tell me more! I always wondered about pointe.

SynchroSk8r114
03-27-2008, 06:47 AM
Will somebody buy falldowngoboom some vouchers for the bodyshop and a therapist :lol:

and I'm with bill....

Thank you! Finally someone who embraces the hottness of figure skaters instead of complaining about the skater butt, skater thighs, or ugly feet syndrome. I love all the wonderful effects skating produces...and my boyfriend's never once complained! ;)

I got so tired of hearing about all the body-bashing that us figure skaters do that I created a several Facebook groups just for us. They are:
- Skater Butt Appreciation: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2345948983
- Skater Thighs Appreciation: http://rmu.facebook.com/group.php?gid=10125606413
- The Hottest Girls are Figure Skaters: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=5463455842

And, despite the fact that nearly every skater tends to complain about his/her skater butt at least once in their lifetime, my Skater Butt Appreciation group has reached 653 members and is constantly growing! Awesome! :D

If any of you have a Facebook account, join up and feel free to add me as a friend! :)

FallDownGoBoom
03-27-2008, 07:16 AM
...and is constantly growing!

Just like my butt!

Mrs Redboots
03-27-2008, 07:23 AM

and I'm with bill....

And don't forget, we get to drool over the male skaters, as seen from behind. YUM! :yum: :yum: :yum:

My husband had a lovely one when we married, and how lucky am I that 13 years of skating have kept it that way, despite the fact that he is nearer 60 than 50!

onlyhappyonice
03-27-2008, 07:23 AM
Welllllll I just took a look, not because I plan to join up with your group, just because I knew there would be pictures of yummable lady skaters

I wasn't dissapointed :yum:

I'm off to the toilet for a while :lol:

onlyhappyonice
03-27-2008, 07:25 AM
And don't forget, we get to drool over the male skaters, as seen from behind. YUM! :yum: :yum: :yum:

My husband had a lovely one when we married, and how lucky am I that 13 years of skating have kept it that way, despite the fact that he is nearer 60 than 50!

Hmmm I don't think I could claim to have a nice tight rear just yet, I'll keep you posted haha

Skate@Delaware
03-27-2008, 07:59 AM
...and there is a reason why some of us watch football, soccer, etc....and it isn't for the game :yum:

onlyhappyonice
03-27-2008, 08:11 AM
...and there is a reason why some of us watch football, soccer, etc....and it isn't for the game :yum:

Deviants, all of you!!!

now excuse me while I go lock myself in a small room with this website and it's many lady skaters :oops:

sk8_4fun
03-27-2008, 11:38 AM
You guys always give me a good pick-me-up.

I'm amazed that you say ice skates are harder on feet than pointe shoes. Tell me more! I always wondered about pointe.

pointe shoes ripped my little toe nails off but skates have never made my feet bleed. I'll take the skates any day!

onlyhappyonice
03-27-2008, 11:40 AM
pointe shoes ripped my little toe nails off but skates have never made my feet bleed. I'll take the skates any day!

It's amazing how many of you guys have done ballet before turning to skating

my daughter did ballet for a year and a half before deciding she hated it and wanted to do skating, but it's for the best she never showed a tenth of the enthusiasm for ballet as she does for skating.

skaternum
03-27-2008, 12:40 PM
It's amazing how many of you guys have done ballet before turning to skating.The only reason I got started on ballet was because there were no ice rinks anywhere nearby when I was a child. I saw Peggy Fleming in the 68 Olympics and was just dying to skate. My parents gave me ballet lessons as a consolation prize, and I loved it, but I never got over wanting to skate. I asked for skates & skating lessons for every birthday and Christmas for years. My parents wisely refused to drive the 1.5 hour each way trip to the closest rink, so I danced up until I moved to Europe when I was 21, then again after returning to the States up until various aging body parts told me I had to stop. <sniff> The thing that triggered me taking to the ice finally was my mother's death. She died right before I turned 30, and I went through the whole "life is short; I'm 30 years old; am I doing what makes me happy" thing. Turns out, skating is what makes me happy! :) I still love ballet, and would probably still be dancing if I were physically able, but it's not skating. 8-)

jazzpants
03-27-2008, 12:58 PM
Deviants, all of you!!!Takes one to know one!!! :twisted: :P :lol:

It's at that point that you continue on to the lovely Neiman Marcus premium denim section, where women are forking over $200 for that one perfect pair of jeans that will make it look like they have a nice shapely skater's butt. And there you'll be in the dressing room, saying, "I don't know. . . they ALL look good on me. . ." :twisted:
P.S. I don't have pretty feet anymore, either, so I just collect cute boots. I'm into cowboy boots right now. . . They go well with all my booty-hugging jeans. ;)

:giveup:Yup!

"I... like... big... butts and I cannot lie..." :twisted: (Going into Sir Mixalot for a sec...)

That thread and doubletoe's jeans comment reminds me of a post I made on that thread. I was complaining that I can't wear Gap Jeans b/c the legs got skinnier and my skater's thighs are too big for those jeans.

Well, the rest of the story is that I did buy myself a pair of Levi's shortly after I posted that. The jeans looked good at that time. Unfortunately they were also low-rise jeans... and when I finally lost my 15 lbs later on that year, the Levi's jeans were starting to ummm... slip? :oops: So two weeks ago, I bought a mid-rise pair of Gap jeans. Apparently, I went from a borderline 6 to 8 Gap jeans around this time last year to now a perfect size 2!!! :mrgreen: And get this... the added bonus is that the thighs got skinnier thru the weight loss so my legs now can fit thru the jeans!!! 8O

But my butt, though smaller, still looks bootylicious!!! :mrgreen: :twisted: (And going back into Sir Mixalot for another sec... yes, I *AM* 5' 3"! But no way in hell I could ever go 36-24-36! :roll: )

doubletoe
03-27-2008, 01:14 PM
Apparently, I went from a borderline 6 to 8 Gap jeans around this time last year to now a perfect size 2!!! :mrgreen: And get this... the added bonus is that the thighs got skinnier thru the weight loss so my legs now can fit thru the jeans!!! 8O

But my butt, though smaller, still looks bootylicious!!! :mrgreen: :twisted: (And going back into Sir Mixalot for another sec... yes, I *AM* 5' 3"! But no way in hell I could ever go 36-24-36! :roll: )

Woo hoo! :bow:

Kim to the Max
03-27-2008, 02:35 PM
I was talking with a friend of mine yesterday who told me that on Tuesday when we were in a meeting, she was thinking about how good my butt looked in the jeans I was wearing :)

coskater64
03-27-2008, 03:54 PM
I have learned to enjoy ballet, I like the discipline of it, I only do pointe at the bar mostly to help my ability to stack my ribs and work on being square. I've had no problems with pointe shoes, I wear Gaynor-Mindon (sp).

With regards to figure many may find it hard to believe but I actually have a hip measurement of 39, waist 27 and my poor little chest sometimes gets to 36 if I slouch...a lot.:oops:

daisies
03-27-2008, 04:26 PM
The worse thing I ever did to my feet.--The Peace Corps, I wore Birkenstocks almost constantly for 1 1/2 years my feet went from an 8A to a 9B. 15 years later they are an 8 1/2 a-b, sigh...my pointe shoes are the size of a small destroyer at 9 1/2 AA.
OMG, I wear Birkenstocks practically every day and have been for about five or six years. I looooove them! I have like 20 pairs, all different fun colors and metallics. :)

I can't really wear heels anymore because of my back, so this thread totally cracked me up. I always look longingly at the shoes at Neiman's too....

mikawendy
03-27-2008, 04:47 PM

Ditto that! I also got worse ankle tendinitis in pointe shoes and flat ballet shoes as opposed to skates. For me, the elevated heel of skates is a good thing.

mikawendy
03-27-2008, 04:49 PM
With regards to figure many may find it hard to believe but I actually have a hip measurement of 39, waist 27 and my poor little chest sometimes gets to 36 if I slouch...a lot.:oops:

LOL!!:D

My waist measurement is much nicer when I inhale A LOT.8-)

doubletoe
03-27-2008, 05:26 PM
I have learned to enjoy ballet, I like the discipline of it, I only do pointe at the bar mostly to help my ability to stack my ribs and work on being square. I've had no problems with pointe shoes, I wear Gaynor-Mindon (sp).

In that case, all those runway models must be lying about their measurements (because you look just like them!).

jazzpants
03-27-2008, 06:17 PM
Yeah, but you're how tall??? 8O (From the looks of the video, you're quite the skinny mini there!!!)

I think my measurement is 33-27-36, last I've remembered getting measured. :oops: (NOW you know why I complain about having "no boobs?") :roll:

SynchroSk8r114
03-27-2008, 07:11 PM
I think my measurement is 33-27-36, last I've remembered getting measured. :oops: (NOW you know why I complain about having "no boobs?") :roll:

I'm 34-24-33 at 5'5, so I'm with ya on the no boobs thing (not that I really care if I have 'em or not)! I much adore my skater butt. I'd say its a fair trade off, LOL! ;)

Skate@Delaware
03-27-2008, 09:57 PM
Ok, since we are fessin' up: 36-28-36 and 5'6"

but I can get an extra inch in my bust (with nice cleavage) with my VS biofit bra :mrgreen: cheaper and less painful than surgery!!!

I have finally become friends with my body. It only took a jillion years!!!!! and thank goodness for stretch jeans!

coskater64
03-27-2008, 10:12 PM
Well it does help being 5'9" almost 10" but its my freakishly long femur that makes me look so thin. Plus I tend to wear clothing that distracts from my issues. I love being tall but it is so hard as a skater, not having soft knees and having very long arms, I have to work with what I have (don't we all) and the appendages just really get in the way.

Ballet is so helpful with the arms, back and posture, I feel so good after ballet!

Daisies, I burned my Birkenstocks from the Peace Corps but I do have a very fancy rhinestone studded pair that I wear around Boulder for laughs.

Even with chicken cutlets and miracle bras I can't get cleavage. Sigh:giveup:

Mrs Redboots
03-28-2008, 08:59 AM
I always look longingly at the shoes at Neiman's too....
Me, I look longingly at this thread - we don't have Neiman's here, and I should love to see one one day!

Skate@Delaware
03-28-2008, 09:01 AM
well, when i lost my weight, I lost a lot of cleavage, my butt, AND subsequently my spins (sigh).....:roll:

but I gained a lot more!!!!

I have a problem with a long torso-can't wear skating duds "off-the-rack" because of it (usually have to snag adult XL to make up for it-you know how hard THAT is to find, especially in pretty styles/colors!

hahaha! when I was 18, i was a 34AA!!!! When I had my daughter, I had gained a lot of weight and was a 42D!!!!!!!!! YEAH BABY!!!! of course, the rest of me was HUGE as well.