View Full Version : Standing loop jump :-)

johns135
03-24-2008, 07:09 PM
The young lady who is teaching me her "small jumps" can do a standing
loop jump ... and it IS a loop jump. She also has me working on standing
waltz, sal, tloop, and flip. I'm not kidding one bit. I was struggling with
the last little bit of the loop jump, and so she worked with me today,
and taught me where she gets the rise for her jumps ... besides just
the roll up on the toe-pick. She also leans into the slight curve she
makes as she starts the pre-rotation from a standing position. After my
lesson, she showed me another remarkable jump. She has an easy,
effortless, standing axel. It lifts about 1 inch off the ice, and is a clean
jump.

johns

vesperholly
03-24-2008, 07:12 PM
She has an easy, effortless, standing axel. It lifts about 1 inch off the ice, and is a clean jump.
I don't know that a 1-inch-high axel, or any small jumps for that matter, is something that I would be aiming for. *shrug*

cecealias
03-24-2008, 07:22 PM
There is value in a standing jump. It has been repeated to me many times that if you have good technique you should be able to do any jump from a standstill. The people I see who have problems are the ones who have to go full speed and hurl themselves into the jump without any control and hope and pray that they can stay vertical on the landing

Sessy
03-25-2008, 01:24 AM
What's a standing jump?

peanutskates
03-25-2008, 01:42 AM
a jump from a standing position... with no speed from xo's or 3 turns or anything like that. just stand -> jump!

doubletoe
03-25-2008, 11:52 AM
The axel is often taught from a standstill, since the less the motion and momentum going into it, the less the possibility of getting mis-aligned in the air.

Kim to the Max
03-25-2008, 12:03 PM
The axel is often taught from a standstill, since the less the motion and momentum going into it, the less the possibility of getting mis-aligned in the air.

Yup...that's how I started them...from a RFO swing roll....then from a side hop...coach had me doing them from a side hop last week to try to get me to start landing on my toe rather than a flat foot....

Sessy
03-25-2008, 12:38 PM
a jump from a standing position... with no speed from xo's or 3 turns or anything like that. just stand -> jump!

Hmmm over here they really hammer on using the edge for edge jumps...

doubletoe
03-25-2008, 01:13 PM
Hmmm over here they really hammer on using the edge for edge jumps...

I think they do it to illustrate the importance of body position and alignment. If your position and technique are correct, you can do an edge jump from a standstill because the knee and ankle bend will create enough edge for you and the rest of the technique will carry you through the jump.

Skate@Delaware
03-25-2008, 07:01 PM
My coach had me do something sorta similar to a standing jump....backspin-then jump UP as you would a loop, then land and continue backspinning....it was weird.

some girls at my rink cannot do a waltz jump from standing still. they need to skate into it.

Skittl1321
03-25-2008, 08:28 PM
some girls at my rink cannot do a waltz jump from standing still. they need to skate into it.

I learned it from a standstill (jump from one side of the line to the other) but have a very hard time doing it now. I have to think about skating into it. What's more- I have a really hard time doing it from forward, I have to glide backward, turn forward than jump. I'm very set in my ways to get my jumps at this point.

mikawendy
03-25-2008, 09:00 PM
I learned it from a standstill (jump from one side of the line to the other) but have a very hard time doing it now. I have to think about skating into it. What's more- I have a really hard time doing it from forward, I have to glide backward, turn forward than jump. I'm very set in my ways to get my jumps at this point.

I also have done the waltz jump from a standstill. The strange thing is I have better kick through and edge quality from a standstill but better ice coverage from moving (presumably because of the momentum). Oh, if only I could put the three together while moving...

When I was refining technique on the flip, I did it from a standstill. It's really torturous to do it that way, but good for learning.

I also learned a salchow exercise from a near standstill--push off gently from the wall when no one is behind, with free leg back, then bring free leg to 9:00 (I skate CW) while staying checked before the jump. It's HARD!

Kim to the Max
03-25-2008, 09:39 PM
My coach had me do something sorta similar to a standing jump....backspin-then jump UP as you would a loop, then land and continue backspinning....it was weird.

Coach tortures me with that for my axels...except mine is 4 loops, backspin, loop....ugh....

Skate@Delaware
03-26-2008, 10:03 AM
Coach tortures me with that for my axels...except mine is 4 loops, backspin, loop....ugh....
WOW! and i thought MY coach was mean!!! I don't think mine does that for any of her axel-ing students....

Kim to the Max
03-26-2008, 10:20 AM
WOW! and i thought MY coach was mean!!! I don't think mine does that for any of her axel-ing students....

Yea....it's supposed to get me to land on my toe....it's not horrible once you start doing it, but the thought of it makes me cringe....I told a friend about that and she said, "dang, your coach is crazy!" I told coach about it and she laughed :) But, if it helps me FINALLY land a clean axel, I'm game!! Plus, I need someone to kick my butt every once in a while :D ;)

Skate@Delaware
03-26-2008, 01:56 PM
Yea....it's supposed to get me to land on my toe....it's not horrible once you start doing it, but the thought of it makes me cringe....I told a friend about that and she said, "dang, your coach is crazy!" I told coach about it and she laughed :) But, if it helps me FINALLY land a clean axel, I'm game!! Plus, I need someone to kick my butt every once in a while :D ;)
I'm all for butt-kicking, but my coach just has me hold on to the boards and practice 'springing' up and down.