View Full Version : Riedell Bronze Star?

isakswings
03-24-2008, 06:56 PM
I've been looking for skates on ebay and was wondering what you all think of the Bronze Star boot? I found this listing on Ebay and thought they looked pretty good. AND I JUST realized the seller is local. I have been considering buying a Gold Medallion boot but I am wondering about the Bronze Star now and if it would be suitable for an adult who skates 3+ times a week and is currently in a Learn to Skate program? As I have said before, I may end up taking a few private lessons here and there too. Would this boot be too stiff for me?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Riedell-Ice-Skates-size-6-Model-320_W0QQitemZ110236099687QQihZ001QQcategoryZ21227Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks for any feedback you might have!

jazzpants
03-24-2008, 07:28 PM
I also had the Gold Medallion back when I was in LTS and it took me to at least salchows. I was asked to switch to Bronze Star when I got to loops.

Of course, back then my Bronze Star didn't even have a wide toe version. It wasn't that easy to break into ankle wise and I had to get the toe box and the sides stretched out. But it didn't take that long to break in. It was like about 3 weeks to a month... which is pretty typical for boots, I think.)

I now have custom Harlicks and my feet are MUCH, MUCH happier!!! :mrgreen:

dbny
03-24-2008, 09:13 PM
Ask the seller if you can meet somewhere to try them on first.

isakswings
03-24-2008, 09:47 PM
I also had the Gold Medallion back when I was in LTS and it took me to at least salchows. I was asked to switch to Bronze Star when I got to loops.

Of course, back then my Bronze Star didn't even have a wide toe version. It wasn't that easy to break into ankle wise and I had to get the toe box and the sides stretched out. But it didn't take that long to break in. It was like about 3 weeks to a month... which is pretty typical for boots, I think.)

I now have custom Harlicks and my feet are MUCH, MUCH happier!!! :mrgreen:

Thanks! My friend wears Harlicks. She had some she can't fit into anymore and I tried them on hoping they would fit me. Sad to say they didn't work! They are very nice skates. Harlick makes a very nice boot, IMO. She also had some Risport boots, but again they didn't fit right. Waaaahhh. Anyway... thanks for the feedback! I'm glad you have happy feet now! Mine are very unhappy in my current boots. :(

isakswings
03-24-2008, 09:50 PM
Ask the seller if you can meet somewhere to try them on first.

Thanks! That's a great idea. I thought about that too, but don't know if the seller would be willing to do that. It can't hurt to ask though and would be worth my time and money to do so. Dh seems to think I should order my new skates from the rink. I'm just trying to same money. :-)

Lisa_C
03-25-2008, 07:16 AM
I also am in LTS and I currently have the Bronze Star boot. I am in FS 3 and have used these boots since Adult 2. They are the only boots I've had, so I can't compare them with anything else (other than rental skates). I like these boots, but probably won't buy Riedell for my next set of boots because I really need mixed widths and orthotics. I also bought my boots off e-bay. I went to the local pro shop to have them measure my foot for the size and width first.

isakswings
03-25-2008, 10:10 AM
I also am in LTS and I currently have the Bronze Star boot. I am in FS 3 and have used these boots since Adult 2. They are the only boots I've had, so I can't compare them with anything else (other than rental skates). I like these boots, but probably won't buy Riedell for my next set of boots because I really need mixed widths and orthotics. I also bought my boots off e-bay. I went to the local pro shop to have them measure my foot for the size and width first.

Thanks! I also had my feet measured, so hopefully what I get will work. I'm in Adult 1. TBH, I don't know what level they would put me at. This is my 1st 6 week session, so I am technically in level 1, but our group is combined. I think everyone in my class is at least level 2. I have no idea what level I would be. I can do most of the stuff on the Adult 1 list and possibly all of it. I'm not sure what a forward chasse is, so I don't know if I can do it or not! I can do a lot of the stuff on the adult 2 list too, but not all of it, so level 1 is likely where I am. LOL!!

Thanks again!