View Full Version : foot won't turn

icy-cool
03-24-2008, 11:51 AM
hi,
when doing a spiral, i manage to put my leg high enough but my foot never turns out like its meant to its always pointing down towards the ice. My coach keeps pulling me up on this, along with my landing position where my toe is also pointing down. whenever i try to turn my foot out i get quite a lot of pain in my lower back. my dream would be to do a spread eagle but there isn't a hope if i can't turn my foot out. does anyone know of any exercises or anything that would help? i would be very greatful!

thanx!
icy-cool

Helen88
03-24-2008, 12:11 PM
I have no idea how to help, but I wanted to tell you I have exactly the same thing :giveup:

One thing that's helped a little is trying to turn out from just above the hips, rather than just trying to turn the foot. Also, when you're going into the spiral, stand in the t-position, and THEN bring the free leg up - the foot should already be turned out.

I practice it a lot off ice - hold on to something, so you don't have to worry about balancing - just concentrate on the turn out. I generally record myself with my phone sitting on my bookcase, to make sure it's not just dropping down.

Hope that helped a bit ;)

Kim to the Max
03-24-2008, 12:15 PM
First thing is first...work on your stroking...and really extending your leg and pointing your toe (and turning the toe out)...from there, you should be able to point your toe and maintain turnout to do a spiral and that will also translate to your landing position....my advice, go back to the basics and really focus on pointing and extending....

NickiT
03-24-2008, 12:29 PM
The turnout should come from your hip. Practice opening out your hip rather than just trying to turn your foot!

Nicki

doubletoe
03-24-2008, 12:58 PM
Also, when you're going into the spiral, stand in the t-position, and THEN bring the free leg up - the foot should already be turned out.

That's a great point! If you can stand in a T position on the ice, your foot/leg must be able to turn out. So try standing in a T position while holding onto the boards and lifting the back leg up into spiral position while keeping it turned out. It's like the ballet barre exercises you always see dancers doing.

smelltheice
03-24-2008, 02:13 PM
The turnout should come from your hip. Practice opening out your hip rather than just trying to turn your foot!

Nicki

I agree fully here. the turn out does come from the hip, like you are banking your body around the curve of the bend like an aeroplane

stacyf419
03-24-2008, 07:34 PM
And to throw a few cents in about appearance here - I used to be appalled at how large my bum looked when doing a spiral, until my coach corrected it by having me turn out at the hip. Voila - bum looks smaller, I guess because the muscle lies more flat. A nice side effect of proper position!

Isk8NYC
03-24-2008, 08:12 PM
Practice off ice, without skates. Hold each one for 30 seconds.
Always stretch first.

Try to think about turning the knee of the free leg out and pointing the toe of that leg "up to the ceiling."

dbny
03-24-2008, 09:11 PM
Try holding your free foot in T position before lifting into the spiral. That way you already have the turnout in place.

vesperholly
03-24-2008, 11:20 PM
Squeeze your butt. :)