View Full Version : Gold or Also-Ran, Practice March 24 - 30

Rusty Blades
03-24-2008, 10:00 AM
In honour of Worlds this past week and my shot at the Adult Championships next week, let's all shoot for the Gold!

GOLD: When one understands the problem it can be addressed and things start to fall into place. After 3 weeks of rapidly deteriorating skating, having my blood sugar back where it is supposed to be brought my skating back to where it should be! Aside from being a bit rusty (due to 3 weeks of physical impairment) EVERYTHING was back pretty much to where it had been. The Sit and Shoot the Duck were awfully rusty and the Toe Loop wasn’t the best (maybe 50%) but pretty much everything else was about 80%. There IS hope!

Now all I have to do is AVOID STRESS and watch my diet until after Nationals.

(Did you hear that coach? I have to AVOID STRESS!!!!) :mrgreen:

LilJen
03-24-2008, 08:26 PM
Ha, it's too appropriate, your name for the thread. I was thinking today, as I practiced, how woefully less skilled I am than all those elite skaters I watched all weekend (obviously).

Gold: Coach started me on bronze moves two lessons ago. No problem filling the entire length with the four forward power XO moves. Back XOs are feeling a bit better, less scratchy & better edge change with the power push/pull.

Also-Ran: What IS it with 3-turns? I thought I'd made my peace with these ages ago, before I broke my ankle. Well, not so. Part of the reason coach didn't want me to take the PB moves was because of the 3-turns (Waltz 8 and 3-turn pattern). Yeah, and power 3s are no better. I don't know what it is. If I get my free leg under control, my shoulders go out of whack and I can't check any thing. If I get the shoulders fixed, my posture goes bad, I'm breaking at the waist etc. If that's good, oh, I'll trip on the toepicks or something. :evil:

kander
03-24-2008, 11:22 PM
Also Ran: Literally got caught with my pants down. I forgot to tie the draw strings on my pants and it felt a little drafty after a particular jump. My pants came down about 1/4 the way :oops: 8O. Fortuneately I always wear compression shorts underneath so it wasn't much of a show. I've been skating for over 15 years and that was my first wardrobe malfunction. I don't think anybody noticed (I hope 8O )

Gold: Toe loops and salchows have slowly been getting more consistent. I can't do one on demand, but if you give me a few tries I can get it. Scratch spins and back sits have been unusually better the last week or two.

Rusty Blades
03-25-2008, 09:58 AM
I don't think anybody noticed.

If there wasn't a burst of flashes going off, you may have been spared. :mrgreen:

Mrs Redboots
03-25-2008, 10:31 AM
Also didn't run: I couldn't skate today as I had - and still have - a bad earache and feel awful. Hope I can skate tomorrow, but don't hold your breath....

samba
03-25-2008, 02:21 PM
Also didn't run: I couldn't skate today as I had - and still have - a bad earache and feel awful. Hope I can skate tomorrow, but don't hold your breath....

Poor you, definately no skating with that, your balance will be well messed up. Lots of rest.

Hope you are better soon.

jazzpants
03-25-2008, 02:27 PM
Also didn't run: I couldn't skate today as I had - and still have - a bad earache and feel awful. Hope I can skate tomorrow, but don't hold your breath....Awwww!!!! Rest up! Hope you feel better tomorrow, Annabel!!!

Rusty Blades: Glad that you got your blood sugar under control. That will definitely kill anyone's skating, for sure...

Also Ran: Literally got caught with my pants down. I forgot to tie the draw strings on my pants and it felt a little drafty after a particular jump. My pants came down about 1/4 the way :oops: 8O. Fortuneately I always wear compression shorts underneath so it wasn't much of a show. I've been skating for over 15 years and that was my first wardrobe malfunction. I don't think anybody noticed (I hope 8O )Pardon me for being "cheeky" but....

http://www.cosgan.de/images/kao/frech/d030.gif http://www.cosgan.de/images/kao/frech/d040.gif http://www.cosgan.de/images/kao/frech/a055.gif

(Yeah, you better get some pants that doesn't require draw strings to keep the pants up... Tee hee hee...LMAO!!!)

Also-Ran: Can't skate in the mornings to save my life. I tried to do my jump warm up and I couldn't get myself to do a simple loop... never mind a flip...to save my life. I opted to just do two runthrus of my artistic and called it the morning.

Gold: But I came back Monday night to just skate for fun and I had NO PROBLEM with my flips or loop (it was effortless!!!) I cranked out a few loop-loops in the process just to prove that I really can do this jump combo. SHEESH!!! I'm so NOT a morning person!!! http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/muede/d015.gif

2loop2loop
03-25-2008, 04:28 PM
Gold: I'm jumping really well right now. Absolutely nailing my doubles and double-double combos. Of course they will all disappear by the time the competitions come around. Also made some major progress on the 3sal. Finally feel like this jump is within my grasp now. Not bad for 28! 8-) I just need to learn how to hold the landing because it's rotated and on one foot, I just can't hold it. It's not nearly such a scary jump as 2axel IMO.

Also-ran: I tried one too many of those triple sals and made the mistake of trying to bail beyond the point of no return. 8O Now I have a nice purple kneecap to show for it. Scary how much power goes into rotating a triple. When it all goes where it's supposed to, it's reasonably benign, even with a fall on landing, but when it goes wrong it can be pretty scary (ask Mao Asada!).

coskater64
03-25-2008, 05:20 PM
2loop2loop, I am shocked you can manage that 3 sal at your age. We'll need to see a solid attempt at MC otherwise those spiffy Canadian fellow may give you a run for your money.

Arnica helps the bruise or you could try my favorite Valtoral ointment! (That's for the truly aged, like myself):bow:

doubletoe
03-25-2008, 05:31 PM
Gold: Having just added a second axel to my program, I actually landed both of them in my program run-through this morning. I was proud of myself because I don't like doing jumps over 1 revolution early in the morning, especially my first early morning of the week (when I have to get up at 5:00am instead of 8:00 or 9:00).

Also Ran: Unfortunately, that second axel is in place of the double salchow, which I have had so much trouble with lately that I'm shelving it until after AN. And two of my three spins had incomplete revolutions. Arrghh.

BatikatII
03-25-2008, 05:44 PM
Gold: coach returned from two weeks in America (Dallas I think he went) so had first lesson for a while.

It went OK though he's started me on the level 5 field moves now that he can remember them properly and they are horrible.

Flip and loop still OK

Also ran: backspin and even sitspin have gone weird -ever since passing the test I've not been able to do them properly.

Gold: Went to a club session group lesson for the first time in ages (years probably) which was quite fun although it was me and three 9 year olds :D Got a couple of tips on the camel spin and it was useful practice.

Not sure what the parents thought - and don't really care.....

I could have gone in the next group up but rather enjoyed being as good as the kids for once whereas I think I'd have struggled with the higher group.

2loop2loop
03-25-2008, 05:57 PM
2loop2loop, I am shocked you can manage that 3 sal at your age. We'll need to see a solid attempt at MC otherwise those spiffy Canadian fellow may give you a run for your money.

So I might not be drawing my pension just yet, however, I still think this stuff would be much much easier if I were 10 years younger :P Fortunately the Canadian in question is a II, whereas I am still a youthful I - but next year I move up 8O

vesperholly
03-25-2008, 07:14 PM
Gold: Did my program for the first time since Sectionals and it was clean! I need a thumbs-up icon. :) The spins could've been stronger, but I completed all the elements, including the axel, which was swapped with the lutz-loop. The program layout feels much, much better now that my axel isn't shoved into the corner. I also wanted to die even less than before, to which I credit my recent off-ice elliptical and weight machine exercising.

Also-Ran: Moves right-side spiral pattern still miserable. I miss dance. I had to stop until after ANs because of finances.

Terri C
03-25-2008, 07:27 PM
Also Ran:
I have decided that my Primary Coach is now the "salchow police" when it comes to my skating. I drove her crazy yesterday with my too snapping quickly free leg. She is also still preaching about the skating leg being in a 90 degree angle for a legitimate sitspin for my Bronze free test.

Gold:
Landed two nice Salchows for Secondary Coach with Primary Coach making the comment before I did them, "YOU BETTER DO THAT JUMP RIGHT!" Needless to say after two solid ones, I was laughing my butt off.
Almost fell on two loop jumps, BUT they were fully rotated.

Started again on flip today and fell on one, but Coach says I had the right idea. My feet got tangled up after I drew back.

Rusty Blades
03-25-2008, 08:17 PM
Solid GOLD! Well it’s about @$#% time! After 3 weeks of totally washed-out skating I was back in form and most elements were back.

Coach was delayed and I wasn’t sure what the plan was so I skated my tail feathers off for half an hour - a real good sweat-raising workout! When coach arrived, she said “program run-throughs” !!! Sure, after exhausting myself??!!

Half way through the first Free skate, I got a cramp in my calf - second run-through was not bad. After a short breather, she had me run through the Interpretive - eh, so-so but pretty good considering I had already been skating hard for an hour!

All in all I guess I am ready to take my chances at Nationals a week from tomorrow. I fly out tomorrow morning to spend a few days with family before going on to competition. C.A.N. HERE WE COME!

mikawendy
03-25-2008, 08:53 PM
I fly out tomorrow morning to spend a few days with family before going on to competition. C.A.N. HERE WE COME!

Have a great trip with the family, and have a great time at CAN! I wish it were on icenetwork so those of us not attending could watch you and others skating there.

kander
03-26-2008, 01:22 AM
Also Ran: Spins finally went south again. My loops are completely gone (probably because I don't get around to practicing them until after an hour or so on the ice when I'm wiped out).

Gold: Managed to keep my pants on :oops:. Toe loops were great. My rotational mojo is back :D. Reconstructed axel attempts are getting better and more consistent. The only thing I'm not doing is landing them. Details, details....

Mrs Redboots
03-26-2008, 08:32 AM
Gold: I'm jumping really well right now. Absolutely nailing my doubles and double-double combos. Of course they will all disappear by the time the competitions come around. Also made some major progress on the 3sal. Finally feel like this jump is within my grasp now. Not bad for 28! 8-) I just need to learn how to hold the landing because it's rotated and on one foot, I just can't hold it. It's not nearly such a scary jump as 2axel IMO.All goes to show how good dancing has been for your skating (G, D and R!).....! Seriously, congratulations and I hope we see this at the Mountain Cup.

Also-ran: I tried one too many of those triple sals and made the mistake of trying to bail beyond the point of no return. 8O Now I have a nice purple kneecap to show for it. Scary how much power goes into rotating a triple. When it all goes where it's supposed to, it's reasonably benign, even with a fall on landing, but when it goes wrong it can be pretty scary (ask Mao Asada!).Owww, poor you. Lots of arnica.

coskater64
03-26-2008, 09:39 AM
Well 2loop2loop some of us are rapidly approaching 3 territory. Of course it would be easier if you were umpteen but what a great challenge. I can't wait to see you skate after all the dancing you have been doing. Maybe you should join me in solo dance, I'll be doing pre gold, the Paso and the American Waltz.

Lets see those soft knee's!!

I take my adult gold fm tomorrow and if I pass I will be allowed to start working on my Jr moves again, finally!!:D

The long slow road to recovery, so far no bumps, of course no jumps, but I still manage to have an awful lot of fun!!

doubletoe
03-26-2008, 02:02 PM
Well 2loop2loop some of us are rapidly approaching 3 territory. Of course it would be easier if you were umpteen but what a great challenge. I can't wait to see you skate after all the dancing you have been doing. Maybe you should join me in solo dance, I'll be doing pre gold, the Paso and the American Waltz.

Lets see those soft knee's!!

I take my adult gold fm tomorrow and if I pass I will be allowed to start working on my Jr moves again, finally!!:D

The long slow road to recovery, so far no bumps, of course no jumps, but I still manage to have an awful lot of fun!!

Whee-! Fun with brackets! Have a great test! :D

2loop2loop
03-26-2008, 03:17 PM
All goes to show how good dancing has been for your skating (G, D and R!).....!

In all fairness, dancing has been good for my skating, but it has been terrible for my bank balance and my sleep patterns... :twisted:

2loop2loop
03-26-2008, 03:25 PM

Forget it, you're on your own. I need someone to cling on to.

Would it make you feel better if I pointed out that I was talking MC age groups, which means you are rapidly approaching 4 territory...hmmm I guess not :mrgreen:

*Joins Mrs R with the g, d and r* :twisted:

coskater64
03-26-2008, 04:44 PM
Darling 2loop2loop, I am aware of a shift in US figure skating age groups that you might not know about, since MC works of US figure skating and has a sanction from them you might be surprised. You will stay a 1 and I will be a 3 for a looooong time. Of course it will have to pass the governing council, so we'll know in mid may.

:evil: :evil: :halo: :halo:

With regards to sleep patterns, you're young you'll catch up on your sleep later.

Its much more fun to dance by yourself only 2 feet instead of 4.

Kim to the Max
03-26-2008, 06:11 PM
[Gold]
Somehow, some way, my camel and camel/sit spins were completely centered today....no clue how that happened!! :oops:

Moves felt good....but, I am just sooooo done...April 26th can't come quick enough!!

[Also-Ran]
I haven't been on the ice since last Friday (due to easter and show practices, which I am not a part of), but it showed in my skating today (it didn't help that I didn't eat anything before I went out there....:oops: ). I wasn't jumping on my jumps...

Brackets in the field are evil :twisted: I have such issues with the BO....it just feels so awkward to me because I feel like I need to force the edge because my body is turning the wrong way! ugh!! At least I know they suck....I guess that's a small consolation....

Bill_S
03-26-2008, 08:09 PM
I hadn't skated since last Saturday. Laziness, I suppose. Too bad I haven't taken advantage of so much extra ice time available during spring break.

Today's session began with perfect ice - soft enough to really press into for strong crossovers. I LOVE freshly Zammed ice.

Did a suprisingly good combination spin - for me.

Started with my usual turning-threes back spin :roll: , went into a forward sit that was nicely centered and fast, and it got faster once I straightened up.

Then I stepped once again into a backspin with lots of speed. Too much to control well though. I quickly jammed the free foot back to slow rotation, and managed to pull the muscle in the upper rear part of my left leg.

It hurt, but the realization of the 3-way combo spin being halfway good gave me satisfaction.

Still wish my backspins were stronger though.

Practiced brackets in the field, and, yes Kim, I HATE the BO brackets.

Fun thing about brackets though is that they lead naturally to other turns. I've been doing the RFO swing counter without too much difficulty.

T'was a good day.

coskater64
03-27-2008, 04:00 PM
I had a very busy test day and it was a brutal test session I would say less than 50% of the tests passed, and they were being very hard on the intermediate. Only 1 of the 4 passed, the free skates went much better but the dances were also pretty rough.

I did pass my test with a standard score for the Adult gold moves of 18, I got an 18, 18.5 and 19.3. I did get nervous but just for a few seconds during the middle of a move. I will post the video on youtube when I get back from holiday next week. Now, I get to fine tune my artistic(s) for AN and then back to work on the Jr. Yeah!!

:D

jazzpants
03-27-2008, 04:16 PM
Wednesday was pretty much a Also-Ran! I just plain ran out of gas yesterday morning. I need sleep and I need a lower back. (The hip was NOT happy yesterday when I came off the ice. Had to stretch a LOT afterwards and take a VERY WARM shower to get some relief!!!)

The runthrus was pretty much limited to my one run thru on the artistic.

Thursday (Today!!!)

Also-Ran: Okay, so I got enough sleep... but now my primary coach is in a pissy mood and he's crackin' the whip on me today. Even when I was waiting my turn for the CD player, I wasn't allowed to talk to ANYONE at all -- I was to stroke around the rink and I wasn't allowed to stop until it's my turn to do my runthru again.

At one point I almost lost my temper with my primary coach (long story...) and I did that runthrus of my technical totally pissed off at primary coach.

Gold:
Apparently, primary coach LIKED that runthru! Okay, both sit spins went a bit funky (hey, I was running my program on ice that was at least 1.5 hours old with 15-16 skaters on the ice and NOT including the coaches.. could barely hold an edge on "stucco ice"!!!) but otherwise pretty smooth and FAST program!!! Landed both the flip and the loop-loop w/o much effort too!!! (Nothing like thinking violent thoughts as I'm going thru the jumps to get more height. :twisted: )

And he complemented me again after the FS session too on those run thrus! VERY weird! I guess he knows that if he pisses me off enough that I would "skate a very angry but energetic program." :twisted:

I see at the bottom of my screen as I'm composing this new post that coskater64 has passed her Gold Moves test too!!! YAAAAAY!!! Congrats to you!!! (Like DUH!!! I *knew* you could do it!!! :P :bow: )

Kim to the Max: if this was breakfast that you missed eating... better not let that happen again!!! :twisted:

This other adult skater and I was just lecturing this teenage kid recently about eating breakfast BEFORE he skates! And heavens know how many of those kids out there are even eating breakfast... and no, a nutrition bar, though it's better than nothing, is NOT breakfast!!! :evil: And yes, he admitted at times that when he misses breakfast that his lessons suffers. Geez, I wonder why!!! :roll:

Funny ironic note: It's Spring Break... and though there are some kid skaters, the MAJORITY of the skaters were my fellow adult skaters all trying to get thru their run thrus for Adult Nationals!!! I expected a LOT more kid skaters actually. :lol:

doubletoe
03-27-2008, 05:36 PM
I had a very busy test day and it was a brutal test session I would say less than 50% of the tests passed, and they were being very hard on the intermediate. Only 1 of the 4 passed, the free skates went much better but the dances were also pretty rough.

I did pass my test with a standard score for the Adult gold moves of 18, I got an 18, 18.5 and 19.3. I did get nervous but just for a few seconds during the middle of a move. I will post the video on youtube when I get back from holiday next week. Now, I get to fine tune my artistic(s) for AN and then back to work on the Jr. Yeah!!

:D

Very pleased for you, but not at all surprised! Congratulations! You get a gold medal now!

Terri C
03-27-2008, 06:39 PM
Congrats coskater!!!

Also Ran:
My test program today. I know I can skate it better.

Gold:
Spins and jumps were good, except for above said program runthrough. Am getting more comfortable with camel and flip as well.
After all that, decided to do the forward/ backward crosstroke pattern from Silver moves. So I do one side of nice forward crossstrokes, then go to backward crossovers, right into backward ones. I'm usually hesitant on starting the backward ones, but I just went right into them without hesitation.

Bill_S
03-27-2008, 07:47 PM
Way to go coskater64!

I'm SO envious. I've been working on the Gold moves for two years now, but I'm not ready. Good to hear that you got through them though.

Gold: Went PIC skating tonight with the 'old' folks at the roller rink. The local newspaper sent a reporter and photographer to find out what us old crazies are up to.

I was interviewed and I told them that I began PIC skating in 2001 after our seasonal ice rink closed for warm weather. (That'll teach the ice rink to close!)

The reporter discovered that among us 'dirty dozen' old skaters, there are two replaced knees and one replaced hip. The young reporter asked if the replacements were due to skating injuries. That brought a laugh from most of us afflicted with arthritis in one form or another.

Did RFI brackets and RBI brackets on PIC skates. They aren't as controlled as on ice though. FWIW, here's a video of my RFI bracket on ice last year. It's definitely better and more controlled than on the PIC skates...

http://oak.cats.ohiou.edu/~schneidw/skating/images/brackets2b_2006.wmv

Kim to the Max
03-27-2008, 10:03 PM
Kim to the Max: if this was breakfast that you missed eating... better not let that happen again!!! :twisted:

Not breakfast...although, I am really bad about eating breakfast...that's what happens when I technically start work at 10, so I get up later and then it's time for lunch...

What I missed was my "pre-skating" meal for when I go in the afternoons...sessions usually fall right after work until about 8pm, so if I don't grab something before I leave campus (I work on a college campus and have a meal plan as part of my job...how convenient!), I generally run out of steam before the end of the first session...usually I try to get a PBJ or leftovers from the night before that I eat before I go skating...then after, I get my "post-skating" meal...usually a salad or a sandwich...

tidesong
03-27-2008, 10:10 PM
Gold:
Finally back on the ice!
Continued working on mitf with coach
Learnt how to do crosscuts lol...
Wore my kneeguards so I didn't hurt them at all

Also-Ran:
curvy axels are blah, so is the double salchow counterpart

Kim to the Max
03-27-2008, 10:25 PM
Congrats coskater64!!

[Gold]
Spins were good as was my run-through of my program with coach today...

I will be going to dress rehearsal for the show tomorrow night since I am leaving for Atlanta on Saturday...

I'm taking tomorrow off to pack and do laundry, but also to bake for the club's bake sale...coach had requests :)

[Also-Run]
Brackets are evil....that's all I have to say...spent 3/4 of my 15 minute lesson fighting with them...I just hope that the judges for my test take a VERY long blink during them....:roll:

Fell very hard on my right elbow doing an axel....I must have been leaning badly as I sometimes do :oops:

FlyAndCrash
03-27-2008, 11:55 PM
Gold: My coach mentioned TESTING!!! my FS6 on Monday. I never evern imagined ever taking this test. EVER. My 2sal doesn't usually work, but last Monday, it just clicked and I landed it completly clean twice in a row (and then some other scattered attempts) from a circle! Wow, I sound annoying.
Anyways, I also managed to get through the dance step too (a girl who is working on her senior moves says the six serpentine is harder than senior moves:!: :!: :!: ).

Also Ran: I don't think I'll be able to duplicate my amazing feats again in the near future and testing is in two weeks, so I think I may have to wait till the end of summer to test. Oh well...:giveup:

Also Ran: After the random comment on my moves, my coach hasn't said anything about my pre-jvu moves. And soon we won't really be working on them much to prepare my program for the show. Ugh. And I was so hoping to test these so I can stop doing stupid power-pulls (even though I have probably only done the patter five or six times :oops: :oops: :oops: ).

sk8pics
03-28-2008, 05:56 AM
Congrats coskater64!

I had a great lesson yesterday and did a teeny tiny waltz jump without holding onto anything. 8-) My coach was very pleased. He says next week we are going to do salchows and toe loops and that they will be "no problem." 8O We'll see! We also have a new tradition at the end of my lessons: we hug. I'm just so happy to be on the ice, and happy to be having good lessons, and therefore he is, too! Also on my way out the director of the training center here stopped me to ask how I was doing and to offer some advice. Very nice of him!

Happy skating everyone!

Rob Dean
03-28-2008, 08:12 AM
I'm just so happy to be on the ice, and happy to be having good lessons,...

You looked happy yesterday. :) I went up to the other rink after nodding at you...it was a busy day for DS with two lessons at two different rinks.

Also-ran: I had a lesson yesterday, too, and spent much of it looking at ABM patterns, particularly the power-3s. Coach is determined (rightly so) to rebuild my 3-turns, but it isn't all that entertaining to actually do.

Gold: (Well, iron pyrite at least) So, having beaten the 3's into submission for a while, we went ahead and went over some of the commented areas from last week's Willow test with reasonable results.

Next week, back to the ten-fox for that June pro-am...

Rob

Mrs Redboots
03-28-2008, 09:08 AM
I did pass my test with a standard score for the Adult gold moves of 18, I got an 18, 18.5 and 19.3. I
Well done you! Not that I'm surprised, mind. I'm looking forward to seeing the video - have a great holiday.

Gold: Back on the ice, largely because a skating friend said she had something for me which turned out (as I hoped it would) to be delicious purple sprouting broccoli from her allotment. Can't wait for supper time!

Also-ran: Not a great deal of energy (unsurprisingly) so focussed mostly on things like kneebend and posture and extension and so on. Did most of what I wanted to do, though.

coskater64
03-28-2008, 09:15 AM
I think its so funny that no one is surprised that I pass these. I am just amazed to have my hip work again totally amazes me. The advantage of muscle memory is, very helpful, but I have had to adjust for so long, I can actually do things right and in hinged boots. My coach seems to find it amusing that I am just soooo happy to be able to skate again, the technology behind all this is just so cool. :D :D :D

jskater49
03-28-2008, 01:10 PM
Congratulations Coskater and with a tough panel to boot!

I had another good skating day. Went through my moves and tried very hard to think about everything my coach has told me about these since I won't have lessons for awhile.

The forward peremiter stroking is solid, ready to go. Backward, I could really feel myself steping right onto the inside edge, I was right on pattern...stilll a little on my toes with the crossovers and must think about keeping back straight and not leaning forward.

3 turns - my turns are fine, the rollover and crossover get me off pattern so I had to think about stepping back onto the inside edge and picking my foot up and getting every push they look for on that move.

Back crossovers to back edge, again thinking about stepping onto the outside edge this time and really leaning into the edge, I was on pattern

Mohawks. Hey! I did them. They ain't pretty but I did not chicken out once and I was getting some real speed there

Onto the Swing - I did the mohawk in the dance with music and no slowing down! YAY!

sk8pics
03-28-2008, 03:48 PM
You looked happy yesterday. :) I went up to the other rink after nodding at you...it was a busy day for DS with two lessons at two different rinks.
Rob
Yeah, I was happy. It was a nice session, too. The ice wasn't bad and it wasn't too crazy, though there were the requisite few kids playing and not paying too much attention.:roll: I didn't see you when I got off the ice or I would have said hi again.

looplover
03-28-2008, 07:07 PM
Congrats coskater:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Gold: Of two program run-throughs today, one was totally clean (eek sorry I almost ran over your daughter, ISk8NYC :oops: :oops: ). The sit spin was pretty good in the program for once. We changed my footwork again and the new portion looks more difficult but is actually just part of the 5-step sequence so it's not (my coach is crafty that way :) ). Oh wait, my change foot spin wasn't so great, I forgot. Well, I was still happy with it overall.

Also-Ran: Second run through had junky spins and a combination was too compacted. Also I keep ending way before the end of the music, but I know from experience that I tend to put in mysterious weird moves during competitions and actually nearly run out of music...so this is probably good. Still wish I'd been able to keep the flip in the program, but it's not meant to be this time around.

SkatingOnClouds
03-29-2008, 02:26 AM
Gold
Back on the ice after 2 weeks sidelined from concussion!. So good to be skating again! So good to be jumping again!

Also Ran
For the first time in my skating life (apart from competitions), I was scared of skating. I was very tentative and off-balance. Mind you I also have balance issues because of a slight cold and sinuses are icky, so that didn't help.

As usual after missing any sessions, my spins have gone back to beginner status again, except sitspins and backsits for some weird reason.
Upright backspin totally non-existent, camels not good. It's going to take time to get all my spins working satisfactorily yet again.

Pure Gold
I was overwhelmed by how concerned everyone was for me, and how many people came up to me to ask how I am after my concussion. I was really touched to know how many people care.

LilJen
03-29-2008, 03:44 PM
Also Ran: Behind on posting! (Had to finish up a big project this week, and after frittering away my time watching worlds last week, no time to spare!) Nearly forgot the Rhythm Blues. . .

Gold: Had a good lesson with coach on Thursday morning. By virtue of the fact that I happened to be tangoing with Dance Buddy (aka coach's husband) it turned into a lesson on dance. Which is good, because I've only ever gotten DB's feedback--helpful definitely but it's good also to have the critique of someone who's watching!! So, we did some work on all three preliminary dances. If I can remember to (1) pull the inside shoulder back against partner (2) keep a firm hold (3) bring the feet together, neatly, after each step (4) smile! (ha) in addition to remembering the dang steps--well, I should be in business. I don't have to think much about the Dutch Waltz & the Canasta Tango, but it had been ages since I did a Rhythm Blues so THAT was entertaining. . .

Mrs Redboots
03-30-2008, 06:18 AM
Gold Medal: Getting through our free dance now; we keep tweaking it and there is at least one place where we need more steps still....

Also-ran: Coach2 has cleverly broken Husband's loop. I don't know why I'm having slight trouble with our couples spin, but it's slightly broken, too. And the dance is so rough and ragged I have no idea whether it will ever be ready... I expect it will, but! Husband is finally running through his programme again, and I suppose I'd better send off his PPC tomorrow, but goodness knows whether the choreography will be the same!

Skate@Delaware
03-30-2008, 11:09 AM
congrats coskater!!!!

Yay, Pat!!!! (sk8pics)!!!!!! I know that must have felt wonderful!!!! You really have come a long way! I am so happy for you!

I went to the rink today, to watch our 1st EVER TEST SESSION!!!! Most of our girls passed their skates. One did not because she and her coach did not have an up-to-date rulebook and missed the additional required spin. She was very upset!!!! Lesson learned, tho.

Had a discussion with my coach concerning testing. It is something that we might work on next season, now that my rink will be holding test sessions. Plus, it will look good on my coaching resume. I said I would think about it.

Then we discussed my summer plans. I mentioned my upcoming dance classes (off-ice). Ballroom is planned and belly-dancing. She said "only you would take something like that!!!" as a complement...then she mentioned something about a spotlight routine....coaches..always thinking!!!!

It was nice to see everyone again! Our in-house competition is this Saturday, I'm judging. Really looking forward to it!

Helen88
03-30-2008, 11:54 AM
Gold:
Lesson! :D Coach was really please with my MIF (she was boasting about me to another coach about the fact that I practice regularly), so we started working on jumps and spins 8O 8O 8O.

Waltz jumps she was very impresses with actually - we've never really worked on them before but I've been doing it on my own for a few weeks. So...she decided to try me on a salchow 8O 8O. It went better than I thought it might actually, once I stopped getting my feet knotted up on the entry. And then we touched on a one-foot spin...spinning is NOT my strong point, I worked that out quite a while ago...but they went okay as well.

Funny conversation:
Coach: How old are you?
Me: 13
Coach: Hmmm...would you ever be interested in competing?
Me: *Nods sheepishly*
Coach: *Turns around and bellows to the rest of the rink*: YEEEY!! WE'RE GOING TO DO COMPETITIONS!! *turns around and hugs me*

It was hilarious at the time :P

Also-Ran...:

No lesson for two weeks. We should be off to Florida...if we ever get out of Terminal 5 :evil:

dbny
03-31-2008, 12:11 PM
I did pass my test with a standard score for the Adult gold moves of 18, I got an 18, 18.5 and 19.3. I did get nervous but just for a few seconds during the middle of a move. I will post the video on youtube when I get back from holiday next week.

CONGRATULATIONS! Can't wait for the video.