View Full Version : update time :)

ibreakhearts66
03-24-2008, 12:37 AM
hey. so now that i've been jumping for about 2 weeks, i thought i'd do an update or whatever.

things are going great! my jumps came back really quickly. axel and double toe came back immediately, double loop took about a day and double sal came back as soon as i actually tried. i waited until a couple of days ago to actually try double sals since the motion hurt my hip when i tried it at first. i fell on the first one or two, but now i can do them just fine again! in fact, i even did a decent 2sal2toe combo!

i'm not spinning too much because forward spins hurt my hip. trying to snap into a sit spin or pull into a scratch spin against centrifugal force hurts and i can't imagine is good for the joint just yet. camel spins don't hurt. back spins are fine. i'm getting really good at pushing into a back camel.

however, where i can really, really see and feel the improvement is in my turns and edges. wow! as frustrating as it was not to be able to jump, it's been really rewarding working on counters/rockers/choctaws. for a while i haven't been able to see too much improvement on my jumps, mostly because i've gotten the ones i can work on consistent. choctaws---WOOHOO! i almost didn't pass ISI fs 5 because i couldn't do the choctaw (LFI swing i think? idk...the one where you start on a deep LFI edge and then step to a RBO). seriously, for YEARS i couldn't do that D*** turn. i ALWAYS ended up falling onto an inside edge. and now? no problem! i was seriously in awe to find myself on the outside edge. i had to look down and then look up and look around to make sure i wasn't imagining it. an ice dancer at my rink was helping me with them as well as counters and rockers and said that the choctaw is a million times better, as well as my other turns.

and i can now do all of my counters. i have always found them fun, but even more so now that i am confident doing them. BO counters bothered me for a bit, but i've found that i can do them really well if i do a BI->BO powerpull and then turn. they're fun too!

another huge leap with counters. counters, esp outside ones, have been another enemy of mine. like the choctaw, holding the BO edge never worked. they're not perfect now, but i CAN do them most of the time. it took two people to help me figure out the free leg scissor action (michael, the ice dancer, taught me the concept of the scissor action and got me working on it, but my coach made it so i can actually do it).

so yeah, things are going well :D :D :D :D

SkatingOnClouds
03-24-2008, 02:27 AM
Really glad to hear things are going so well for you !!!
Now, if only I could do all those things:roll:

Sessy
03-24-2008, 04:05 AM
good to hear!

Skate@Delaware
03-24-2008, 07:24 AM
YAY!!!! I'm so glad for you! Are you still in physical therapy? If you are (or if you can get up with your physiotherapist) you should have him/her tweak your hip for spinning, there might be an exercise or stretch that could help.

herniated
03-24-2008, 08:06 AM
Wow, that is so great that you have so much improvement in your skating skills!! It makes the whole surgical experience worth it.

looplover
03-24-2008, 09:30 AM
Great news!!!:D

Helen88
03-24-2008, 12:21 PM
Yeeeyyy!!! It's great everything's going so well for you!

Kim to the Max
03-24-2008, 12:27 PM
Congrats and keep listening to your body so that you have a complete and total recovery....

cecealias
03-24-2008, 01:13 PM
Yay!! I am hoping for the best that you will have a complete and strong recovery, too! take it easy and one small bit at a time

tidesong
03-24-2008, 09:13 PM
That choctaw is the most exciting, I still can't do that cleanly! But hey the jumps are good news too :)

Morgail
03-25-2008, 12:50 PM
I'm glad to hear things are going well for you! Hopefully it's just a matter of time before you can do forward spins again. Congrats on the choctaws and counters! :bow: