View Full Version : What Level of Learn to Skate do you teach?

FSWer
03-22-2008, 09:08 PM
Say,what level Learn to Skate do you teach? LOL,BTW. I did my best at trying to remember the levels and devide them right. But I'm not sure how correct I got. LOL. So someone please correct me if needed. Thanks.

Clarice
03-22-2008, 10:58 PM
I teach in a US Figure Skating learn-to-skate program. This session I have a Basic 1 and a Basic 3 class, but I've taught everything from Snowplow Sam 1 to Basic 4. I've never taught beginning adults, but I think I would enjoy it.

SynchroSk8r114
03-23-2008, 06:05 AM
I have taught all levels from 3 yr. old to adults and the elderly in my 7 years of coaching.

Skate@Delaware
03-23-2008, 08:19 AM
I teach tiny-tots (on fake ice), Snowplow Sam 1-3, Basic 1-4, and special needs (no specific level) as well as Hockey 1 & 2 (which freaks the parents out-especially the dads when they see a figure skater mom teaching their little boys but they soon get over it).

I give skating "advice" to my adult skating friends (not allowed to "coach" or "teach" when I'm not in class...but we can give friends advice if they ask).:)

I love it all!!!!

FSWer
03-23-2008, 09:49 AM
I teach tiny-tots (on fake ice), Snowplow Sam 1-3, Basic 1-4, and special needs (no specific level) as well as Hockey 1 & 2 (which freaks the parents out-especially the dads when they see a figure skater mom teaching their little boys but they soon get over it).

I give skating "advice" to my adult skating friends (not allowed to "coach" or "teach" when I'm not in class...but we can give friends advice if they ask).:)

I love it all!!!!

LOL,ok. What's the difference between on fake ice and off ice?

Isk8NYC
03-23-2008, 11:17 AM
I teach anything in LTS except hockey, pairs, and dance. lol

This season, I've taught Mice on Ice (Tots), Basic 1-8 plus Freeskate 1&2.

kayskate
03-23-2008, 11:24 AM
Most of my teaching is B2-B4. I also teach adults and tots (snowplow sam) once in a while.

Kay

Skate@Delaware
03-23-2008, 12:08 PM
LOL,ok. What's the difference between on fake ice and off ice?
Fake ice is the synthetic stuff, it is sort of a plastic surface similar to cutting boards used in kitchens. It's sprayed with a water-based silicone lubricant to assist in the glide factor. The surface we have is still hard to use. Really builds up your legs but harder to slip and fall on. Great for beginners in that respect.

Not sure about your reference to off-ice....but when I am not paid by the rink, I am not allowed to teach. I am not "officially" a coach since I do not have my own insurance & am not a member of PSA (as of yet), etc....so I don't cross the line about that.

However, if I am asked for advice or assistance I can give it. If I see a safety concern, of course I am allowed to address it.

Skittl1321
03-23-2008, 12:30 PM
I have taught SS1-3 and Adult 1 on my own. This session I am helping in SS1, SS2, and teaching Adult 1. I also teach Girl Scout lessons when they sign up as a troop (they get a 30 minute lesson).

My insurance is through the rink so I can only teach when assigned, I don't give private lessons. (My coach thinks I should get private students, but handling my own insurance doesn't seem worth it)

Mel On Ice
03-23-2008, 01:25 PM
freestyle for kids and adults. I'm teaching girls up to age 10 to do waltz jumps, toe loops, spins, stroking and spirals. I'm teaching adults all that plus pre-bronze moves.