View Full Version : What jump was the most hard to learn

winziped
03-22-2008, 08:52 PM
i have a question what jump was the most hard to learn?

Rusty Blades
03-22-2008, 09:03 PM
The first one.

Kim to the Max
03-22-2008, 09:05 PM
I agree with Rusty Blades...that first jump is a leap of faith....

For me, it took FOREVER for me to land my singles, but once I did, they all came pretty quickly...Now, I am struggling with the axel....but I have struggled with that jump since I was 13/14...I am so close to landing it clean and I hope that it happens soon!

kander
03-23-2008, 12:52 AM
i have a question what jump was the most hard to learn?

It varies somewhat, but in general it's the axel. That's the scariest jump to try. An odd thing I've noticed is that some people have an easy time with the toe loop and a hard time with the flip, and for others it the other way around.

Scarlett
03-23-2008, 05:00 AM
I haven't started on my axel yet but what is killing me is the toe loop. So easy to do yet so hard to do correctly...toe-waltz anyone.

jskater49
03-23-2008, 05:30 AM
Must be the salchow for me since I haven't learned it yet. I find it very confusing.

DD had trouble with double salchow when that is usually most people's first jump - she used to win the jump events in like prelim because she couldn't do a 2 salchow so she would go for the double flip and if she could land it, she'd win because everyone at that level was doing a 2 salchow.

Now it's the 2 toe that is her nemesis in the Novice free test. She'd have a better chance of passing it if a 2 lutz was required.

j

Skittl1321
03-23-2008, 06:58 AM
I don't have all my jumps, but I can see myself getting others (flip, lutz) before I get a loop. Loop is without a doubt my hardest. I am not left side dominant, and this jump (for CW) takes off and lands on the left leg. I don't have the strength in my quad to get myself off the ice with enough space to rotate- even off ice I can barely hop more than an inch or so on that side. My sides are very muscle imbalanced. I think there is a likely hood I might be able to do this on my right side, but then I'd be rotating the wrong way and it's not a loop.

The flip and lutz are going to be about rotation and spring in the jump. I can do the half jumps without a problem, and just need to get height, which I'm confident I can do because it's not ALL about the left leg. But that loop- that's an awful jump.

Kim to the Max
03-23-2008, 07:09 AM
I don't have all my jumps, but I can see myself getting others (flip, lutz) before I get a loop. Loop is without a doubt my hardest. I am not left side dominant, and this jump (for CW) takes off and lands on the left leg. I don't have the strength in my quad to get myself off the ice with enough space to rotate- even off ice I can barely hop more than an inch or so on that side. My sides are very muscle imbalanced. I think there is a likely hood I might be able to do this on my right side, but then I'd be rotating the wrong way and it's not a loop.

The flip and lutz are going to be about rotation and spring in the jump. I can do the half jumps without a problem, and just need to get height, which I'm confident I can do because it's not ALL about the left leg. But that loop- that's an awful jump.

I have found (and coach has commented) that when I do just a loop, they are okay...nothing huge, but they get so much bigger when I do them as the second jump in a combo....my flip/loop can be absolutely huge....maybe try a waltz/loop to see if that helps....

Sessy
03-23-2008, 08:09 AM
I dislike jumps with a shift of balance, that is, salchow, toeloop... Loop is easier than they are.

Skate@Delaware
03-23-2008, 08:13 AM
The first one.
YEAH!!!!

After that, the rest were just a struggle with technique (I had to re-learn because of bad technique of basic skating skills that was taught)...

-toe-loop: difficult because 3-turns were messed up and not learning the "scoop"
-loop: hard because I was taught the 1/2 loop first (and I can actually do it well, BUT now I struggle with landing the loop on the correct foot)
-salchow: still working on this because of sucky 3-turns initially taught

but I'm getting there!!! :D

coskater64
03-23-2008, 09:39 AM
I think the axel is the hardest, for me but once I got it, it was there. I have had to work hard for the correct edge on the lutz. And learning to do doubles the sow and toe, the same way every time has escaped me.

Maybe I'll have more luck the 4th time round.:D

Muskoka Skater
03-23-2008, 09:56 AM
I find the double salchow is the hardest jump to learn. I don't why but I still have problems with it. I can do every double including double axel, but I can not have a very consitent double salchow.:(

techskater
03-23-2008, 10:12 AM
Axels were the hardest for me to learn, but they are definitely one of my best jumps now.

2loop2loop
03-23-2008, 10:42 AM
I had issues with the double toe for years, even while I could do rock solid 2sal, 2loop and 2flip. Fortunately something eventually clicked and it is now very secure. 2axel is tough :evil:

jazzpants
03-23-2008, 10:55 AM
My toe loop is the easiest to do but HARDEST to do RIGHT!!! :frus:

My loop was my PITA jump!!! I still don't always land them consistently but the odds are now stacked well in landing it clean. (But in combo with another loop is another story now... :roll: ) So I'm glad now that that it's becoming one of my better jumps now (or at least that's what secondary coach says. I STILL don't believe it since I don't always get it.)

kayskate
03-23-2008, 11:28 AM
Has to be axel. I worked on it for yrs and never really got a good one. 2sal worked better for me.

Kay

doubletoe
03-23-2008, 11:32 AM
The axel is just a whole 'nother animal compared to all of the single revolution jumps.

twokidsskatemom
03-23-2008, 11:52 AM
It took my daughter a good two years for her axel.She hung in there and didnt give up. Now, its a great jump!!
She has a double sal but I think she will have issues with double toe too.Working on double loop maybe easier!

BatikatII
03-23-2008, 12:38 PM
Of the ones I've learned it has to be the loop. Took me about 6 months of just sitting on my back outside edge before I could work out the faintest idea of the mechanics of this jump. It didn't help that I find the RBO edge the hardest of all my edges to fully control.

Now I quite like it and am practising hard on getting into it at speed - a whole different ball game. I've managed it once and it felt fantastic but mostly I wimp out if I go into it with speed.

Currently my nemesis would have to be the Lutz - I'm still at the 'how on earth does this work?!8O ' stage.

And whether I'll ever get to attempt an axel I don't know.

Mrs Redboots
03-23-2008, 01:29 PM
I agree - I haven't the first idea how a loop jump works! I can see what one would have to do to get an axel (not that I even want to do one), but not a loop jump! Or a lutz, either, come to that. But then, I don't like jumping much anyway - too old, too heavy, no fast-twitch muscles in the legs (never have had).

starskate6.0
03-23-2008, 02:21 PM
Iv come close to landing Triple toe and Salchow , However . Can't do a loop to save my life.. and only on a good day can I do double Sal.. Go figure..:roll:

peanutskates
03-23-2008, 02:31 PM
It felt like ages until I learnt loop (4 months until I got it from xo's, properly) and I thought I'd never get it.... now it's the axel! so hard!!

looplover
03-23-2008, 02:59 PM
I haven't tried an axel yet, that'll probably be the one...but for now ...that flip! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: It took me years to get that thing and then it went away and now I'm trying to get it again. I could say the same for the lutz but I'm not quite there with doing it at all yet.

OK, and doing the toe loop correctly, like Jazzpants said - I've been toe-waltzing them all along :evil:

The loop's been a party compared to those others and the salchow - well, I'm doing it correctly, but it's not great.

(jumps in general are my nemesis lately)

fmh
03-23-2008, 03:17 PM
axel, then double axel, then triple and so on, since its the next step up revolution wise. I think that not including those jumps, it really depends on the skater

froggy
03-23-2008, 03:41 PM
the bunny hop! :o)
i dread that jump! i seriously learned my salchow, loop, and toe loop faster than that.

my flip is giving me quite a bit of a hard time, i have a feeling ill get my lutz b/f my flip only b/c my half lutz is 10x better than my half flip.

cecealias
03-23-2008, 04:35 PM
Hardest jump to learn: it has changed a lot for me over the years, but I think it depends on how you are taught the single jump initially.

My understanding is that if the single is good, the double, triple will be good. If you have a crap single, of course the double will be terrible, inconsistent and littered with problems. It is like trying to built a 2 story house with an uneven foundation; it simply will not hold up. If your singles are consistently big, have hang time and flow in + out at top speed, then you have a better chance and a much easier time to get a consistent double.

In my book, the axel is not a single jump, because it doesn't have the same dynamics as the others. The dynamics are closer to double sal, double toe.

I believe the only reason the axel is a pain for most people is because they are "psyched" out of it or pressured into being afraid of it by other people. You get the right technique and you don't have people picking on it when you're working on it, you will A) get a good technique for this jump as well as any other multirev jump B) not be afraid of it, because technique done right is not scary at all.

cazzie
03-23-2008, 05:27 PM
My daughter is learning single jumps (just started Lutz) but was told at ice-skating today she is over-rotating and doing 1 1/2 .... Trying to rotate less and suddenly loop, and flip seem to be a problem. She did one for me this evening off ice and sure enough - she is going round 1 1/2 times. So - guess they are all difficult at the moment.

jskater49
03-23-2008, 07:05 PM
My understanding is that if the single is good, the double, triple will be good. If you have a crap single, of course the double will be terrible, inconsistent and littered with problems. It is like trying to built a 2 story house with an uneven foundation; it simply will not hold up. If your singles are consistently big, have hang time and flow in + out at top speed, then you have a better chance and a much easier time to get a consistent double.

That has not been the case with dd - she had a great single toe loop but cannot seem to do a double and she has a friend who had a fantastic double toe loop and could tack and double toe at the end of any jump but now she has all her other triples, including the lutz and cannot do a triple toe. But now that her triple toe is in the sack, her double toe has disappeared as well.

I know the triple toe is supposedly the easiest triple...

j

cecealias
03-23-2008, 08:28 PM
Well, jumps come and go. they don't stay the same all the time. It could be that she's just needs time to work it out. it can be hard for enough for skater and the coach. for an outside observer it can be even harder to get a feel of what's going on.

That has not been the case with dd - she had a great single toe loop but cannot seem to do a double and she has a friend who had a fantastic double toe loop and could tack and double toe at the end of any jump but now she has all her other triples, including the lutz and cannot do a triple toe. But now that her triple toe is in the sack, her double toe has disappeared as well.

I know the triple toe is supposedly the easiest triple...

j

onlyhappyonice
03-23-2008, 08:42 PM
I havn't even attempted a jump other than bunnys yet I read the title and thought.. THE FIRST ONE!

I've been reading up on a waltz jump :)

I want to do one as it seems to be the first one taught (apparently) but I think I shall wait for a while :lol:

tidesong
03-23-2008, 09:17 PM
I thought the bunny hop was hard, but my coach got it out of me on the lesson I was taught it on.

Axel took months and double salchow came quite a while after that, months again, might have been about a year. Both might be about as "hard"

Double toe and double loop I don't even know if I've "learnt" them because of rotational issues and horrible inconsistency, but those two are the longest so far.

I don't know if/when I landed my first proper lutz, but I've flutzed for the longest time. So maybe thats the hardest to learn for me. Its kind of difficult to say hehe.

ibreakhearts66
03-23-2008, 09:43 PM
to be honest, i have absolutely no memory of learning my singles. i didn't have too hard a time with my axel, at least not at first. however, i still have mental issues with that jump. i've been doing well with it lately, but some of you may remember how i kept popping it a while ago.

double toe was hard because i learned it as a toe-axel. that was a really really hard habit to fix. so, for that reason i guess i would say double-toe. it is a super easy jump when you do it properly (it really is just like an axel). but, it is really hard for most people TO do properly.

Amandaskategirl
03-24-2008, 03:55 AM
Jumping is not really my thing:

- didn't have too much trouble learning the waltz, sal, toe and loop.

BUT:

- flip took me ages to 'understand' and then pretty soon after I learnt it I injured my back and couldn't jump for 6 months. After that it took me a very long time to actually flip again. I spent a long time doing the three turn and picking but was too scared to jump.

- lutz took me forever!! After thinking that I could land it for about 2 years, I switched rinks and teachers and learnt that I had been doing it incorrectly. I went back to only doing half a turn again before getting it back. Now I am afraid to say that flutzing sometimes happens.

- still working on the axel, have landed a couple in the past but it seems to be a very long process! That has been the hardest in the sense that it is the most emotionally draining. Double sals, loops and flips are sometimes better.

Ok, I conclude....most jumps are hard for me to learn!

jskater49
03-24-2008, 09:17 AM
Well, jumps come and go. they don't stay the same all the time. It could be that she's just needs time to work it out. it can be hard for enough for skater and the coach. for an outside observer it can be even harder to get a feel of what's going on.

DDs been working on double toe for 2 years. Guess I don't really consider myself an outside observer when it comes to my daughter -- or the mother of the other girl who was telling me about her toe loop woes.

I'm just saying that getting a single or a double right does not necesarily translate that adding a revolution is going mean jump will work.

j

Sexy_Lexy
03-24-2008, 09:31 AM
For me it was the Axel. Just taking off forwards made it really hard. I learnt a single a day untill I got to that jump, which took me almost 2 years. now I can do it, im landing a double a day.

RinkRat321
03-24-2008, 09:43 AM
Double toe! it just doesn't make sense to me haha i just can't get it. Double loop took me a while too. Suprisingly, axel wasn't that hard for me. I got it in like a month i was really lucky

Lisa_C
03-24-2008, 09:44 AM
For me, the hardest jump has been the salchow. The salchow and toe-loop are the only full revolution jumps I've learned so far. I have problems executing a full revolution without using the toe-pick. I often end up spinning on my toe-pick before jumping or only doing a 1/2 salchow and end the jump facing forward.

smelltheice
03-24-2008, 10:49 AM
I think it was the loop. It seemed harder as there isn't a turn or a wind up into it and the same with the lutz

cecealias
03-24-2008, 01:14 PM
two years is not that long of a time to be working on a jump, imho... Do people know that it took Emily Hughes more than 4 years to land a clean double axel? And look how far she got nationally....It took Michelle Kwan more than 2 years to get her double axel, but she landed her triple lutz on the first try, so you never know.

I've also seen a girl work on her single axel for about 4-5 years, then switch coaches and then get all her doubles within 1-2 years. Her double axel took her less than a year, and at the time her single axel was huge. So perhaps it is persistence and the right coaching that pays off

doubletoe
03-24-2008, 01:20 PM
double toe was hard because i learned it as a toe-axel. that was a really really hard habit to fix. so, for that reason i guess i would say double-toe. it is a super easy jump when you do it properly (it really is just like an axel). but, it is really hard for most people TO do properly.

Ugh! Tell me about it! :giveup:

sk8_4fun
03-24-2008, 02:09 PM
Loop for me too, in fact its probably what made me decide to concentrate on dance! I can struggle through a salchow and toe-loop but the loop to me is just suicidal8O, wouldn't mind learning a half loop though.

smelltheice
03-24-2008, 02:10 PM
It's true that a change of coach or at least getting a different perspective from a second coach can make alot of difference. I always think that no one coach has all the answers to a persons skating progression

kateskate
03-24-2008, 03:40 PM
I don't recall having too many problems with all singles up to and including flip although it took me ages to be able to do a loop of back crossovers rather than from an inside 3!

Lutz took me quite a long time. I remember trying it for weeks and weeks and only ever making half a turn and then when I finally landed it I couldn't do it again for a week or so and then after that it would only work once or twice a session (and I used to try loads).

Axels took an age and are still not there. I started learning them in 2004. The first attempts I had were good and teacher said I would have it by the end of the summer that year (this was about Easter time 2004). Never happened. But it got better and 2005 it was ok ish although as I didn't need it for competition I didn't work on it obsessively. Could consistently get to forwards but couldn't get the rest of the rotation. In 2005/2006 something bad happened. I obsessed so much about rotation that I lost all technique and my axel developed into a weird twisty thing. And I had to totally relearn it. I couldn't get out of the bad habits and bad muscle memory until Summer 2007 and now finally it is correct. It doesn't work all the time - not even most of the time - its often underrotated - but I have now done it properly.

In summary, axels took me ages.

Double salchows are now proving to be a problem.

I guess all jumps are hard - well at least for me

sexyskates
03-24-2008, 05:08 PM
The axel is taking me forever.

The lutz has also been a constant challenge because it is such an unforgiving jump. Aside from my wiggling on entry and that whole outside edge takeoff thing, if I don't have hips and arms correct the darn thing goes nowhere.
The single toeloop is difficult to do correctly, because it's so forgiving. There are a million ways to do it wrong and it will still rotate and land. Although I had several years of issues with my loop (prerotating), it has become a dependable friend. I am enjoying the flip more now too (initially it was hard to get the full rotation). And I have always loved the salchow. I may get the double salchow before the axel.

jcookie1982
03-24-2008, 09:48 PM
So far it has been the salchow, just because it took me forever to break the habit of touching my free foot down before jumping.

Skate@Delaware
03-24-2008, 09:50 PM
Loop for me too, in fact its probably what made me decide to concentrate on dance! I can struggle through a salchow and toe-loop but the loop to me is just suicidal8O, wouldn't mind learning a half loop though.
NOOOOO!!! Learning the 1/2 loop first really messed ME up! I keep trying to loop correctly but that other foot wants to land it......I have been trying to overcome...altho I will have to do it at a higher level eventually (sigh).

I know it's not a "jump" but I am dyslexic with bunny hops; can't teach the kids how to do them...and I hate them anywho.:twisted:

jskater49
03-25-2008, 09:22 AM
two years is not that long of a time to be working on a jump, imho. So perhaps it is persistence and the right coaching that pays off

None of that really speaks to my original point which is that just because you get one revolution jump right, adding a revolution is going to be that easy.

I think everyone here who is sharing what jump is difficult for them agrees that persistence and good coaching is a good thing ;) But like you point out with your examples, everyone has a jump that gives them a hard time, even with persistence and good coaching.

j

Morgail
03-25-2008, 12:26 PM
Lutz for me. It's the whole counter-rotation thing plus the long leading edge. And then getting onto an outside edge (or at least a flat!) is a whole other story.

Although I'm sure axel will replace this at some point in the near future;)