View Full Version : How old were you when you first started helping your coach with the Learn to Skate?

FSWer
03-22-2008, 08:09 PM
Say,I hope it's ok to ask this on a board. I hope I'm not getting personal. But how old were you when you first started helping your coach with the Learn to Skate Basic Skills Program? BTW. I have a question. How do you get to help with a Learn to Skate Program as a skater? I mean....do you need to be a curtain level? Do you need to pass a test? Do you need to be able to do curtain moves? What constatutes (sorry,I know that's wrong) as becoming a Learn to Skate helper? Thanks.

Skittl1321
03-22-2008, 08:23 PM
I was 25 when I started helping and had been skating for around 1 year. I had passed Basic 8 by that time.

I started helping with snowplow sam- mostly because I was a preschool teacher at the time and really liked working with little kids. They needed an extra hand to pick people up! I also started working with adults, usually on my own, if the adult was able to stand on their own (if they needed support I didn't do it yet) our adult classes often only have 1 skater though. The skate director watched my first class and then told me I was good to go. I think I had the advantage of learning as an adult because I remembered HOW the very first few things were taught- often the really good teenagers have no idea HOW they learned those first few steps and take awhile to learn how to teach them.

Kim to the Max
03-22-2008, 08:36 PM
I think I was right around 14 when I started. The director needed someone to help out with the Snowplow Sam classes and to assist with some of the other levels as well (at that point I was doing private lessons and probably had passes pre-pre at that time...I don't quite remember). Once I got some more experience, I was given classes on my own, anywhere from Snowplow Sam to low Freestyle. I did that through high school as a way to pay for ice time (I got punch cards, one free session for every LTS session I taught, then at some point I started getting paid on top of the free ice).

The club I skate for now requires the Juvenile freeskating test to teach LTS, which is what coach and I are working towards now. Coach is pushing for the end of the summer (she keeps saying, "you need to be a coach next year!"... they are losing a coach at the end of this summer and will need someone), but that all depends on if I can get a consistent axel by then...although, there is a loophole because I am eligible for the adult tests (even though I am opting to continue on the standard track), and they allow people who have their Adult Silver test teach...

FSWer
03-22-2008, 08:39 PM
I think I was right around 14 when I started. The director needed someone to help out with the Snowplow Sam classes and to assist with some of the other levels as well (at that point I was doing private lessons and probably had passes pre-pre at that time...I don't quite remember). Once I got some more experience, I was given classes on my own, anywhere from Snowplow Sam to low Freestyle. I did that through high school as a way to pay for ice time (I got punch cards, one free session for every LTS session I taught, then at some point I started getting paid on top of the free ice).

The club I skate for now requires the Juvenile freeskating test to teach LTS, which is what coach and I are working towards now. Coach is pushing for the end of the summer (she keeps saying, "you need to be a coach next year!"... they are losing a coach at the end of this summer and will need someone), but that all depends on if I can get a consistent axel by then...although, there is a loophole because I am eligible for the adult tests (even though I am opting to continue on the standard track), and they allow people who have their Adult Silver test teach...

Does that mean you just need to pass your Juvenille Freeskate test?

Kim to the Max
03-22-2008, 08:42 PM
Does that mean you just need to pass your Juvenille Freeskate test?

I currently need to test both my Pre-Juvenile and my Juvenile. I plan to test my Pre-Juv at the end of April. If I can keep my wits about me, Pre-Juv shouldn't be any problem. The problem with the Juv test is that my axel is not consistent.

jskater49
03-22-2008, 08:46 PM
I was about 39 when I started teaching LTS. Good thing they didn't require me to pass Juvenile!

DD started teaching when she was about 13. She's 17 now and a junior coach and teaches privates now Only teenager I know making $24 an hour.

Of course she only teaches an hour and a half a week ;-)

j

FSWer
03-22-2008, 08:46 PM
I currently need to test both my Pre-Juvenile and my Juvenile. I plan to test my Pre-Juv at the end of April. If I can keep my wits about me, Pre-Juv shouldn't be any problem. The problem with the Juv test is that my axel is not consistent.

So to teach a Learn to Skate level you basicly have to have tested for it,right? BTW. does anyone know if there's such a thing as JUST being able to skate well enough and not take a test in some cases? Or do you always do?

Kim to the Max
03-22-2008, 09:02 PM
So to teach a Learn to Skate level you basicly have to have tested for it,right? BTW. does anyone know if there's such a thing as JUST being able to skate well enough and not take a test in some cases? Or do you always do?

Yes, for the most part, you need to have passed some level that incorporates the skills you are trying to teach. Personally, I never taught high freestyle (Freestyle 4-6) when I was younger because I did not feel comfortable with it. I could perform the skills, but I prefer to have moved well beyond that point so that I KNOW I can teach it. I was able to take a look at what people were doing and offered suggestions when I was assisting, but never taught those levels...I left that to coaches who had more experience than myself.

In terms of testing. Some people are okay with just skating and knowing that they can perform the skills. For people who are trying to compete, tests are generally necessary to advance levels. For others, completing a test is an accomplishment, a goal to work towards...that's the way it is for me since I have no desire to compete...having a test looming ahead of me gives me something to work towards...it gives me small goals on the way to the larger goal (which for now is passing my senior moves and if I can, getting as far with my freestyle tests as possible).

FSWer
03-22-2008, 09:27 PM
BTW. does that mean you have to have passed that level just as a skater and be THAT level skater? Or does it mean you have to pass a seperate Learn to Skate test of that level?

Clarice
03-22-2008, 10:56 PM
Different rinks have different requirements for their Learn to Skate instructors. There is no official test to become a Learn to Skate instructor. Some rinks require that you be a certain age, and/or have reached a certain test level, but it won't necessarily be the same at all rinks. At our rink, you have to be 18 to be an instructor, but helpers can be younger. The Learn to Skate director hires the oldest, most advanced skaters he can, and if they're also PSA members, that's a big plus. At the moment we don't have any instructors under 18, and the 18 year olds are all Novice level or higher.

It only makes sense that an instructor be quite a bit further advanced than the students they are trying to teach. It also helps if they have other teaching experience - good classroom management skills can be very important. For the Snowplow classes, experience with young children can help, too - perhaps having children of your own, or having a lot of babysitting experience.

SynchroSk8r114
03-23-2008, 06:16 AM
I began teaching as a helper at the age of 14. I begn assisting with an Alpha level class before becoming a full instructor at the age of 15. I had consistent axels and some doubles at that time and was working on passing my Senior MIF at that time, so there was no question that I was qualified.

At 16, I began teaching privately and have been coaching for the last 7 years. My coach made me wait until I reached that age before she sponsored me through the PSA. Shortly after, I got my gold in Senior MIF, so I felt like I got two good things at once, LOL!

Skate@Delaware
03-23-2008, 08:55 AM
My rink HAD no requirements other than being higher level than what you were teaching. They were supposed to sign us up for PSA (yeah, I should have followed up on that) but they did not. So at 45, I started teaching, and my highest tested level was at ISI FS2 (would be higher but for that stupid backspin).

Now that we are under new management, I'm not sure what will happen when it re-opens in the fall. I'm told that I will be asked back, but I am not sure. What they say and what they do sometimes don't match up.

I know the teaching standards have increased-no more passing kids through if they "sort of" get something, just to please the parents. Our new manager is tough and rightly so. (ok, rant over)...

There are no requirements to "coach" as there is a 14-year-old that is able to on public ice (what are they thinking???). I know she has tested but I don't recall her level (not very high), but she is not insured (on her own) and is not a member of PSA or anything)...

kayskate
03-23-2008, 11:26 AM
I was 37 and started teaching my own classes mostly snowplow level.

Kay

CanAmSk8ter
03-23-2008, 04:53 PM

Every rink is different, but I've never heard of a learn-to-skate level skater being allowed to teach or help with classes. The closest I've ever witnessed was some young teen Freestyle 1 and 2 girls being allowed to help with Snowplow Sam, and that was because the director was in a pinch with several coaches gone at a competition. I started at 13, but the rink I skated at then didn't offer classes beyond Basic. I was very close to my coach at the time, and I did it as much to have extra time with her as anything else. Unless someone else had a really big group and no helpers, I'd just help my coach with whatever class she had.

For adults it's a bit different. At my current rink, if our director finds out one of our adult skaters has experience working with kids, she's recruiting them for learn-to-skate immediately. They start as helpers but if our director is happy with what she's observing from them they're promoted to associate coaches (can have their own LTS classes below a certain level, can't take on private students) pretty quickly. It's the experience with children that's really valuable to the rink; otherwise an adult would go through the same process as the kids and be expected to be a helper much longer. (When I applied to work at this rink, a friend who was working there told me to make sure I put all the child development and psychology classes I took in college on my resume). The kids are allowed to start helping at 13 (they're technically supposed to have their pre-pre moves, but as long as they're working on them they're allowed to help) but they can't become associate coaches until they're 16, and I don't think they can advance beyond associate until they're 18.

FSWer
03-23-2008, 06:49 PM
Every rink is different, but I've never heard of a learn-to-skate level skater being allowed to teach or help with classes. The closest I've ever witnessed was some young teen Freestyle 1 and 2 girls being allowed to help with Snowplow Sam, and that was because the director was in a pinch with several coaches gone at a competition. I started at 13, but the rink I skated at then didn't offer classes beyond Basic. I was very close to my coach at the time, and I did it as much to have extra time with her as anything else. Unless someone else had a really big group and no helpers, I'd just help my coach with whatever class she had.

For adults it's a bit different. At my current rink, if our director finds out one of our adult skaters has experience working with kids, she's recruiting them for learn-to-skate immediately. They start as helpers but if our director is happy with what she's observing from them they're promoted to associate coaches (can have their own LTS classes below a certain level, can't take on private students) pretty quickly. It's the experience with children that's really valuable to the rink; otherwise an adult would go through the same process as the kids and be expected to be a helper much longer. (When I applied to work at this rink, a friend who was working there told me to make sure I put all the child development and psychology classes I took in college on my resume). The kids are allowed to start helping at 13 (they're technically supposed to have their pre-pre moves, but as long as they're working on them they're allowed to help) but they can't become associate coaches until they're 16, and I don't think they can advance beyond associate until they're 18.

So,if an adult even though never tested was at least like a Preschool teacher. They might constatute it as enough experience for Learn to Skate,right?

Skittl1321
03-23-2008, 07:52 PM
So,if an adult even though never tested was at least like a Preschool teacher. They might constatute it as enough experience for Learn to Skate,right?

There are no set rules nation wide- it completely depends on the rink. If there are lots of experienced coaches available, an adult who is not a higher level skater probably won't get a position, but if the LTS director needs teachers- they are likely to hire an adult who has finished the Basic 8 and just has experience working with children. They might not even have been a teacher- maybe they just have their own kids.

Mel On Ice
03-24-2008, 12:45 PM
But how old were you when you first started helping your coach with the Learn to Skate Basic Skills Program? I was 29, and working on my pre-bronze feeskate test.

How do you get to help with a Learn to Skate Program as a skater? I was asked by our skating director to help the adults who were new to work their way away from the boards and not be afraid of the ice.

I mean....do you need to be a curtain level? No, but a certain level of competency was expected. I was only at that point a helper to the coach who instructed the class, teaching the basics of LTS.

Do you need to pass a test? No, but I was given more responsibility in instructing as I did pass tests.

Do you need to be able to do curtain moves? At first, it was a matter of patience and being encouraging. Once I was able to do things like properly stroke, crossovers, edges, turns, spins and a few of the beginning jumps, I started helping individual skaters learn this as we did break out sessions within the group.

What constitutes becoming a Learn to Skate helper? Varies from rink to rink, club to club. I can be a LTS instructor, but I cannot coach at my rink for various reasons, but mostly because they have a novice or better standard for their coaching staff.

Muskoka Skater
03-24-2008, 07:14 PM
I started helping out when I was 8yrs old.

FSWer
03-24-2008, 08:33 PM
I started helping out when I was 8yrs old.

WOW!!!!! 8yrs old!!!! I'm impressed!!! I think we have someone who was the worlds youngest Lrarn to Skate assistant teacher here. Talk about not size,but know how!!!! But, LOL,ok. Could someone please explain how it would have been possible for Muskoka to be compatible (if you'ld use it in that contex) with being able to help that young? Thanks.

CanAmSk8ter
03-25-2008, 10:43 AM

By tested, do you mean the learn-to-skate levels or the USFS tests? I can't imagine any rink would be willing to use an adult who wasn't at least on Adult 4 or so, but I can see an adult who hadn't taken any moves or freestyle tests yet being allowed to at least help.

CanAmSk8ter
03-25-2008, 10:48 AM
WOW!!!!! 8yrs old!!!! I'm impressed!!! I think we have someone who was the worlds youngest Lrarn to Skate assistant teacher here. Talk about not size,but know how!!!! But, LOL,ok. Could someone please explain how it would have been possible for Muskoka to be compatible (if you'ld use it in that contex) with being able to help that young? Thanks.

Like we've all said, different rinks have different rules. At my rink, an eight-year-old would not be allowed to help teach. I'm guessing what Muskoka was doing at that age was helping with the absolute youngest skaters, the three- and four-year-olds. At that level, you don't need someone to help you teach as much as someone who can hold hands, pick up toys, fix mittens, and bring a skater to mom or dad if need be. I've had kids as young as 10 and 11 help me with tots with no problem; however, when I was sent an 11-year-old helper for my Basic 6 class, I ended up having to send her to the Basic 2s. They didn't really need her, but she was not helping me in the slightest.

Muskoka Skater
03-25-2008, 03:48 PM
At my club there really isn't a rule as long as you're out of canskate they don't care. All the people that help out with the learn to skate, just got out of canskate. I'm probably the best helper they've ever had. At all these other clubs you have to like a Juevinile skater or something and at my club there is no rule. My club is just stupid. I'm on the Senior session at my club. I'm doing double axels on the session, then there are these kids that can't even do a lutz on the same session. It makes no sense. I'm trying to go as far as possible in my skating, but it's so hard to do when my club as skaters that are getting in my way. I'm not one of those skaters that yell at people to move, but I'd really like them to at least get out of my way while I'm doing my solo.

Kim to the Max
03-25-2008, 04:24 PM
I'm not one of those skaters that yell at people to move, but I'd really like them to at least get out of my way while I'm doing my solo.

Sometimes you just need to let yourself be known though...it is part of making sure that you get your fair practice (particularly if your music is on), but also making sure that others don't get hurt...I have started being more vocal now particularly because I am testing in the next few weeks and really NEED to get my patterns in for my moves...

Now, if you start making yourself known all the time, that is an issue, but if your music is on or you are in a lesson, I see no problem with that...but then again, that is a culture thing with your club/rink...

Muskoka Skater
03-25-2008, 07:38 PM
(particularly if your music is on)

I always have my music on when I'm doing it. Everybody knows it's my music. The older skaters know to get out of my way, but the younger skaters never do.

Kim to the Max
03-25-2008, 09:32 PM
I always have my music on when I'm doing it. Everybody knows it's my music. The older skaters know to get out of my way, but the younger skaters never do.

That seems to be a common problem at many rinks...you might need to talk with those younger skaters and explain that you don't want to hurt them, but when music is on, they should be looking out for the person skating...otherwise talk with your coach and have them either talk to the other coaches or the board at your rink....

Muskoka Skater
03-26-2008, 03:12 PM
Thanks for the advice. These younger skaters aren't much younger then me though. They're only a year younger. Some of them I'm friends with and I tell them but nothing changes.