View Full Version : Southwestern Ontario, Junior Bronze Ladies

katieskater
03-22-2008, 11:32 AM
Hi, im in junior bronze ladies, and was wondering...is emma bender going competitive? or staying starskate...cuz im not sure of her age...cuz if she stays starskate..i will be competing against her nxt yr..and im gonna be snr bronze freeskate..so for me to go from boston pizza, to provinicals....what should i be doing..jumps wise nxt yr.........
oohh..also...after provinicals...is there nationals? for starskate? thanks:lol:

Stormy
03-22-2008, 11:54 AM
Hi there. First off, I don't have an answer to your question, but it REALLY helps on message boards if you dont' use "teen-speak" or "text-speak". In other words, please write correctly and use real words! It's hard to read posts that aren't written correctly.

Virtualsk8r
03-22-2008, 07:14 PM
Right on, Stormy! If Katiespeak is genuinely a young teen and this was her first post - that's great advice to give! And if she is an adult posing as a teen ..well......

In answer to the question - Senior Bronze does not go to Starskate Championships - just to Trillium. Since there are no age barriers on Starskate events, you can expect to see a wide range of skaters in both ability and age. Generally speaking, senior bronze level programs include all the doubles includng lutz as well as double doubles, and double double doubles. It is not uncommon for skaters to try double axels although not all are successful.
However, there will also be skaters who have single jumps and only a couple of double jumps at this level, since the test requirement is double sal and double toe. Hope this helps!

CanadianAdult
03-22-2008, 07:33 PM
I was going to say the same thing. Since Skate Canada added jump restrictions to junior bronze, anyone who can do doubles and doesn't want to go pre-novice is in senior bronze,or higher. It can be a wide range of abilities as Virtualskater said, but if you were placing well in junior bronze with axel and two doubles, you'd be in the middle, at senior bronze.

Junior bronze was a hard category this year, it had a lot of pre-juvenile skaters in it.

Muskoka Skater
03-22-2008, 08:08 PM
Generally speaking, senior bronze level programs include all the doubles includng lutz as well as double doubles, and double double doubles. It is not uncommon for skaters to try double axels although not all are successful.

Lol, I was one of those skaters, but I fell on it. I still am one of those skaters but at a much higher level. I can do it in practise but not usually in competition.

doofsy
03-22-2008, 08:42 PM
It is not uncommon for skaters to try double axels although not all are successful.

Actually, you are not allowed to attempt a double axel in Senior Bronze Starskate... only Jr. Silver and up. All other doubles ARE allowed, however. The kids who moved on to Waterloo this year in Sr. Bronze from WO were doing all 5 doubles, as well as double-double combinations.

Also, just a piece of advice (if you ARE a skater- not a parent)... try to focus on your own skating and not what ONE skater you may or may not be up against next year is doing! Obssessing about other skaters really doesn't help your self-esteem on the ice-- just be the best YOU can be and see how you do!

Hope that's helpful!

Virtualsk8r
03-22-2008, 10:49 PM
Thanks for the correcton on the double axel, doofsy! Last year there were skaters trying double axels in senior bronze but the rules changed this season........and there are more changes coming apparently to align the test requirements with the competitive WBP. So who knows what this will mean for the preliminary and junior bronze levels? Jr Silver and up are basically the same as the competitive tests with senior bronze sort of hanging in the middle.

sk8tmum
03-24-2008, 10:47 AM
quoting ...
"and there are more changes coming apparently to align the test requirements with the competitive WBP. So who knows what this will mean for the preliminary and junior bronze levels? "

Now you've got me intrigued ... I've got a DD competing at Junior Bronze, was preliminary last year, and we were very pleased, as were others, with the changes to the allowable jumps (i.e. it made the competitions more evenly balanced). Are they tweaking again? I thought it was reasonable, allowing the doubles up to Double Loop in Junior Bronze, and the restrictions in Preliminary worked well vs. the test requirements - are they rethinking it?

Virtualsk8r
03-24-2008, 02:33 PM
Changes in the works are to align the test requirements with the competition requirements......and also changes in the skillls tests. Just as the competitive tests were revamped October 1st, to be in line with the CoP system - so will the starskate tests. Not sure exactly what the changes will be, but I would guess the program component will be evaluted on a CoP system eventually (same as competitive with a maximum -GOE allowed in addition to the required jumps landed).