View Full Version : My daughter will be in the spring ice show(m)

isakswings
03-22-2008, 07:17 AM
and I am sooo happy that the coach for her group's number is her private coach! Yippy! :-)

Her coach is also working on her routine for her competition in June. She will be skating to a song from Beauty and the Beast, so now I need to figure out what to do for her competition dress. So, we shall see what we can come up with! Thankfully, I have a friend from church who skated competitvely and coached. She said she will show me how to bead her dress once we figure out what it will be! Probably a yellow dress. I'll see if her coach has any ideas too.

Her coach is also working on deciding what level to put her in too. This will be her first competition. :-)

littlekateskate
03-22-2008, 07:37 AM
Congratulations! It so fun and nerve wracking to watch you child compete for the first time. I am asuming its ISI? How old is she? What level? Lots of Luck.. And dont forget to check ebay for a yellow dress! You would be suprised at what a good deal you may find!

Skate@Delaware
03-22-2008, 11:23 AM
Aw, I'm sooo happy for you! I love to see the little ones skate!!! I am a minority in that I love Disney music!!! I can't wait until my rink's ice show (I'm not in it so I will get to watch this year!!!) it will be nice to see.

You will have to let us know about her costume and how she does!

smelltheice
03-22-2008, 11:39 AM
I never got to be in the show my old rink put on at Christmas every year as it was for under 18's only. They had the slogan kids skating for kids as the proceeds went to charity but then there were no other adult skaters there then that weren't coaches or show skaters unfortunately for me:(

isakswings
03-22-2008, 07:28 PM
Congratulations! It so fun and nerve wracking to watch you child compete for the first time. I am asuming its ISI? How old is she? What level? Lots of Luck.. And dont forget to check ebay for a yellow dress! You would be suprised at what a good deal you may find!

Thanks. :-) She is in a USFSA program. She is currently in Basic 7 but likely moving on to Basic 8 in 2 weeks. She is 9, al most 10. She's excited because she will be one level away from being in Freestyle levels. Her coach is trying to figure out what level to have her compete at in June. I'll definately check ebay for her dress. If I can't find one at a price I like(lol), I am going tohave my mil help me make one for her. I'm planning on learning how to do it myself, but I still have not found a machine for myself.

isakswings
03-22-2008, 07:37 PM
Aw, I'm sooo happy for you! I love to see the little ones skate!!! I am a minority in that I love Disney music!!! I can't wait until my rink's ice show (I'm not in it so I will get to watch this year!!!) it will be nice to see.

You will have to let us know about her costume and how she does!

It will be fun! For the ice show, their number will be different from her competition number. The ice show is in April and her comp is in June. We'll have to buy a costume for the ice show too. YIKES. :-) It would be nice if it were something we could reuse. :-) Her outfit from last years ice show is in the dress-up stuff. They were cats last year. :-)

isakswings
03-22-2008, 07:40 PM
I never got to be in the show my old rink put on at Christmas every year as it was for under 18's only. They had the slogan kids skating for kids as the proceeds went to charity but then there were no other adult skaters there then that weren't coaches or show skaters unfortunately for me:(

That's too bad! This is actually a club sponsered USFSA ice show, so we have skaters of all ages in it. My LTS coach tried to get me to sign up for it as an adult. Umm no! HEE. I'm a very basic skater, not to mention my own skates are too big which makes things a bit harder for me. So, until I get my new boots, I won't be doing anything like that. LOL!!

Kim to the Max
03-22-2008, 07:53 PM
I have never done a formal "show"...we did exhibitions with my club, but the other club in town always did the formal show...

The club I am in now does a formal show, which is next weekend, unfortunately I will be in Atlanta for work...but....my coach keeps talking (among other things) about putting together an adult number for next year's show....plus, I did "pinky swear" with one of our little skaters that I would do the show next year if I didn't have to go anywhere for work.

I say, if you have an opportunity, do a show! I have been looking with envy at the skaters who are doing it for the last couple of weeks....although, I don't envy them needing to be at the rink at 6am!

isakswings
03-23-2008, 01:16 AM
I say, if you have an opportunity, do a show! I have been looking with envy at the skaters who are doing it for the last couple of weeks....although, I don't envy them needing to be at the rink at 6am!

I would, but the application deadline was the 18th. Anyway... I MIGHT consider it next year. By then, I will have new skates and more lessons under my belt. This year, I will likely volunteer to help with anything they need me to. They were looking for LTS parent volunteers, so I will offer my assitance. Next year, Janae may be in the club, and I am sure I will end up vounteering then! LOL

samba
03-23-2008, 03:23 AM

This is so short sighted of whoever organises this, our management was strongly involved one Christmas and he involved every age he could get his hands on from tiny tots that could barely walk so they rode in a sledge up to my age and older.

Would you believe that I, at the age of 56 at the time, did a solo performance, scared the hell out of me but you wouldnt believe the applause I got for the most basic elements.

The public are not as uneducated as seasoned skaters think, they know that it is harder the older you get and even the kids were screaming and clapping. The manager came up to me afterwards and said "do you feel like a star?" and quite frankly for 1min 30 secs I did.

This has to be good for business, our learn to skate (especially the adult section) is bulging at the seams and a lot aspire to eventually compete.

Skate@Delaware
03-24-2008, 07:38 AM
Most rinks, that know what is good for them, include ALL ages in their shows (exhibition or holiday). This promotes skating as fun for ALL ages and shows people that they can pick it up no matter their age!!! I would present this to them and hope they promote all ages and NOT DISCRIMINATE!!! It's very short-sighted of them!

I started skating and participating in shows when I was 41. I'm 46 now and still having a blast! We have about 5 ladies (including myself) over the age of 35 that skate (our skills range from Basic 5 to one that has axels).

Show skating is good experience for anyone, more so for those that compete. Shows are a good way to build your "presentation" and artistic experience. My rink offers free ice & coaching for the numbers, I'm not sure how it's handled elsewhere. We only have to pay for our costumes.

isakswings
03-24-2008, 06:50 PM
Show skating is good experience for anyone, more so for those that compete. Shows are a good way to build your "presentation" and artistic experience. My rink offers free ice & coaching for the numbers, I'm not sure how it's handled elsewhere. We only have to pay for our costumes.

That's great you only have to pay for your costumes! I paid 80 for my daughter to be in the show and that didn't include the costume fee. Costumes haven't been decided yet, so I don't know how much that will cost. EEK.