View Full Version : stirrup tights

abbi_1990
03-22-2008, 07:13 AM
does anyone know if stirrup skating tights are designed to be worn inside the boot or on the outside?

Kim to the Max
03-22-2008, 07:16 AM
Most stirrup tights I have seen that are designed for skating have velcro at the bottom meant to be put over your boots...

abbi_1990
03-22-2008, 07:21 AM
so these tights :

http://www.mondor.com/md_GlaceCollectionStyleForm.asp?sCatKey=MSGL&sCollKey=COL&sStyleKey=3374&lang=en

would be worn on the outside of the boot and fastened on the bottom similar to OTB tights?

Kim to the Max
03-22-2008, 08:00 AM
yea....personally, I would think that for me, having the velcro under my feet in my boots would be uncomfortable...

abbi_1990
03-22-2008, 08:06 AM
hmm.. i see what you mean

thanks for the advice :)

Rusty Blades
03-22-2008, 09:35 AM
I tried stirrup tights last week inside the boot and it was fine. I don't know if I would do it daily but it will work for competition (when my mind is on other things). Just get the velcro far enough forward that it isn't under your heel.

abbi_1990
03-22-2008, 10:29 AM
basically, i have got new boots and they fit fine with really thin pantyhose but if i wear my regular tights (mondor 3371) with them, they are a bit tight. However, i cant wear pantyhose to skate in because they are not thick or warm enough for skating. so i was trying to work out what sort of tights to get.

smelltheice
03-22-2008, 11:34 AM
I can gladfully say I have never had this problem!!:lol:

Mrs Redboots
03-22-2008, 12:16 PM
basically, i have got new boots and they fit fine with really thin pantyhose but if i wear my regular tights (mondor 3371) with them, they are a bit tight. However, i cant wear pantyhose to skate in because they are not thick or warm enough for skating. so i was trying to work out what sort of tights to get.
Try Tesco black 40 denier. Or John Lewis equivalent (but they are more expensive; on the other hand they do a variety of colours). Or, if there is a branch of Lidl near where you live, they occasionally have 70- or even 100-denier tights in a variety of colours - probably, though, not at this time of year when it is allegedly nearly spring.

Keep the over-boot tights for competition and tests - they're too expensive to wear every day until they inevitably ladder!

abbi_1990
03-22-2008, 01:43 PM
mrs R: are they warm enough though?

sk8erel
03-23-2008, 08:15 AM
Stirrup tights go over the top part of your boot (near the top of your laces) and the two velcro parts meet in front of your heel (underneath). You probably can wear them inside the boot although I would imagine they would be uncomfortable! If you have difficulty understanding how to assemble stirrup tights - sorry - I apologise, a diagram would be better, so go on to google images and type in stirrup tights on figure skates - it might come up to show you!
Thanks - HAPPY EASTER ALL;)

Skittl1321
03-23-2008, 08:32 AM
Stirrup skating tights go outside the boot. I WISH someone made thicker stirrup tights that went inside the boot. The dance stirrup tights I've found are just not thick enough for warmth :(

I can't wear a footed tight, so was hoping a stirrup would work for me- but alas they are velcro bottoms and very uncomfortable inside the boot. To wear it inside you would want a bottom that does not come unattached.

abbi_1990
03-23-2008, 08:53 AM
Happy easter sk8erel :D

Thanks for replying everyone. Maybe i will get footless tights instead or cut the bottom of my tights to make them footless or stirrup shape.

Clarice
03-23-2008, 09:05 AM
If you keep wearing your usual tights inside your new boots, they will probably stretch out to accommodate and eventually feel just fine.

abbi_1990
03-23-2008, 09:19 AM
thats probably true, they just feel SO tight right now. I might try wearing them in the house like that so they can stretch a bit.

Mrs Redboots
03-23-2008, 01:25 PM
The 70-denier ones are; not so sure about thinner ones.

But why not wear trackie bottoms to practice, with pop sox or ordinary 15-denier tights underneath?

mikawendy
03-23-2008, 02:16 PM

But why not wear trackie bottoms to practice, with pop sox or ordinary 15-denier tights underneath?

When I have a good pair of footless or footed tights that develops holes, I wear that as the bottom layer of two pairs of tights, and it's just warm enough.

abbi_1990
03-23-2008, 03:51 PM

My coach prefers me to skate in a skirt or shorts because then she can see my knees better. If im not having a lesson then i sometimes skate in yoga pants but i get scared about catching my blade in the bottom of my trousers.

LW*
03-26-2008, 01:01 PM
My coach prefers me to skate in a skirt or shorts because then she can see my knees better. If im not having a lesson then i sometimes skate in yoga pants but i get scared about catching my blade in the bottom of my trousers.

I have danskin footless tights, plus some old danskin over the boot tights that I wore for competitions many years ago (and have a few holes in that have been mended, besides I don't compete any more anyway so I might as well get some use out of them!), nothing to say you can't wear thinner tights/ pop-socks underneath. I've found the footless ones to be quite hard wearing - the biggest problem with the otb tights is they tend to go into holes over the boot, although even then they didn't seem to ladder too badly. I've had mondor tights in the past too but for some reason never liked them as much.

I also hate skating with the bottom of trouser legs flapping - to get round this I have some plain stirrup leg warmers, in the same colour as my skating trousers, that I can hook over the back of the skate heel and wear over the bottoms of my trouser legs to stop them flapping and catching on my blades. They're not too noticeable as they're the same colour, and they keep my legs nice and warm too!

Is wearing the stirrups of the tights you mentioned outside the boot a big problem for you? You could still wear pop-socks or thin tights underneath them....

FlyAndCrash
03-26-2008, 03:04 PM
I would recommend footless tights if you can find them (shouldn't be that hard; I wear mondor and they come in a variety of thicknesses...). You don't need to fuss with the stirrup part, and they look more appealing (to me). They are very popular at my rink.

SkatingOnClouds
03-27-2008, 02:38 AM
On the subject of stirrup tights, are they suitable to wear in competition, or don't judges like them?

abbi_1990
03-27-2008, 02:11 PM
I cut the foot part off my mondor 3371 tights so they are now footless. I put popsocks underneath them and so far it has been working great :D

LW* - i could wear the stirrup tights over my boots, but i dont really like how that looks. JMHO.