View Full Version : Is there another name?

singerskates
03-21-2008, 11:20 PM
I was rechoreographing my interpretive a bit this afternoon with my coach and after the opening push 3's on alternating feet which matches the music much better, there's this part with a drum role before Avril Lavigne starts to sing on her song "When You're Gone" where I was suppose to do a jump 3 but instead I did a right inside edged 1 footed Axel by accident. I didn't know I did it until my coach told me that was what I did. I just thought I rotated once. I didn't even feel the other half rev. Weird. Is there another name for this move?

techskater
03-22-2008, 09:02 AM
That's usually called an inside Axel. If you have any semblance of an Axel, you should really work on your CDN preliminary test so you can skate Silver so you aren't called a sandbagger...

ice_godess
03-22-2008, 09:33 AM
I agree - in fact, you don't need an axel to pass your preliminary freeskate in the Cdn system, and to skate Adult Silver the axel is only an option. You need a bunny hop, waltz jump, salchow, flip and loop plus toe/toe, sit spin, camel spin, upright spin and backspin - plus r & l forward spirals and the stroking. (for the elements - the program test is easier).

I've seen too many adults 'sandbagging' lately....the same skaters seem to stay in the lower ranks for years and you can tell by the quality of their skating that passing a freeskate or interpretive test is definitely within their reach. This is particularly true in the interpretive events, as strong skaters without any tests can win with ease over truly beginning skaters. Very discouraging for skaters who actually stretch themselves to pass the tests and end up competing against really strong freekaters or dancers who don't have the guts to compete at their true level!!! I know one adult who has stayed at the pre-pre or pre introductory level for years - and medalled - because she says she's just not 'ready' to move up!! The women has her gold dances but isn't 'strong' enough to skate at the bronze level?????

Hmmm - sure is not fair is it????

Skate@Delaware
03-22-2008, 11:20 AM
It's an inside axel-beautiful!!!

I'm not sandbagging-I can't get that friggin' backspin or land that freakin' loop on the correct foot!!! I have everything else tho'

:giveup:

but you can't pass with only 80% of the test....it's 100% or nothing.

singerskates
03-23-2008, 12:07 AM
That's usually called an inside Axel. If you have any semblance of an Axel, you should really work on your preliminary test so you can skate Silver so you aren't called a sandbagger...

I am working towards testing my preliminary FS. The problem is that I still don't have either my camel, backspin or flip back yet. I think it was just a fluke that I landed that inside Axel or even did it. I just got new boots that aren't broken in yet. And I still have yet to get my orthotics for my skate boots from my orthotics guy. I'll only have one week to get use to skating with the orthotics in my skates.

If having the orthotics in my skate boots finally gets me to balance properly in my skates on the ice, I should be getting my camel, backspin and flip back. I might even get my lutz for Canadians. But at this point, I'm not doing a lutz in my program because the loop is actually landing on the correct foot and edge for a change with these new boots.

My long term goal is to get my lutz back, get the Axel, 2 toe, 2 Sal and 2 loop and spins at this level so that I can test Senior Bronze and compete at the Adult Gold level. At one time even while in warped boots before I was injured at work in 2005, I was barely a 1/4 turn short of a 2 Salchow. I've told myself that I'm not even going to bother to compete at the ISU Adult Invitational (should be called Adult World Championships) until I pass my senior bronze FS and compete in Adult Gold.

At the start of this year, I could barely land a single Salchow and I was having real problems with my single toe. Not anymore though. I'm back on the way up.

Don't worry, being that I'm having trouble bending in my new boots, I can't always get low enough in my sit spin and sometimes I'm scrapping the ice with my toe picks doing back crosscuts. Hoping that this will change in a week.

Please new boots break in faster.

Muskoka Skater
03-23-2008, 09:59 AM
I always thought an inside axel was a waxel.

techskater
03-23-2008, 10:15 AM
No, a Waxel is where your free leg swings around and you don't really do much with it. Watch this video - Chen Lu does a Waxel at about 0:40
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKyHW87FDqk