View Full Version : What is a jump sequence???

jazzpants
03-21-2008, 12:24 PM
Okay, here's my situation and I want to try to explain it in a way that my primary coach would understand...

In my technical program I have a jump sequence. It was originally a salchow-waltz jump-toe loop! The problem with this sequence for me is that the waltz jump in-between looked like another toe loop. SOOOOOO... yesterday my primary coach changed it so that it's a "waltz-salchow-toe loop" Solves the problem of the waltz jump being mistaken as a "toe loop" BUT... according to my secondary coach, it's NOT a sequence... so finally we changed it so that it's a salchow-toe tap-waltz jump-toe loop (well, toe-waltz in my case... but that's another issue... :roll: )

I'm trying to understand this rule so I can explain to my primary coach at our next lesson why I changed the jump w/o him knowing it. As I understood it, the waltz-salchow is the part that is not counted as one sequence but two separate jumps b/c of the 3-turn on the salchow entry and there is no 3-turn or mohawks in a jump sequence? (Or is the waltz-salchow-toe loop a legit jump sequence?)

Here's the official rule from my USFSA rulebook:

Jump sequences:
A jump sequence may consist of any number of jumps of any number of revolutions that may be linked by non-listed jumps (my guess would be half-flip, half-loop, mazuka, toe tap, etc.?) immediately following each other while maintaining the jump rhythm (knee). There can not be more than two three turns/mohawks during the sequence. There can be no crossovers or stroking during the jump sequence.

Thanks for the help!!!

Hannahclear
03-21-2008, 12:30 PM
Yeah, I think the waltz and salchow would have too much of a break between them.

I'm doing loop/half loop/salchow in my program. It's a PITA!

mikawendy
03-21-2008, 01:26 PM
Yes, no stroking or steps between jumps within a sequence. Also no mohawks, three turns, or other turns allowed in a jump sequence:

From USFS web site (Judging System, Rules/Clarifications/Elements, #15) (http://www.usfigureskating.org/content/Technical%20Notification_15.pdf):

In ISU Communication No. 1459, the definition of the jump sequence was
amended from its prior definitions, including that found in ISU Communication
No. 1445. The definition of the jump sequence in the new version of the
Rulebook (2007-08) failed to pick up this change.
This technical notification is to clarify that Rule 4042 B. 5. should read as follows:
5. Jump sequence: A jump sequence may consist of any number of jumps or
any number of revolutions that may be linked by non-listed jumps and/or hops
immediately following each other while maintaining the jump rhythm (knee); there
can be no turns/steps*, crossovers or stroking during the sequence.
*Turns: three turns, twizzles, brackets, loops, counters, rockers
Steps: running steps, toe steps, chasses, Mohawks, Choctaws, curves with
change of edge, cross-rolls.
Dated: September 12, 2007

Other relevant threads:
http://www.skatingforums.com/showthread.php?t=24306
http://www.skatingforums.com/showthread.php?t=21671

jazzpants
03-21-2008, 02:08 PM
Okay... looks like a sal-toe tap-waltz jump-toe loop it will be!!! :mrgreen:

And thanks to mikawendy for that USFSA link!!! That will be JUST enough for my primary coach and should solve the sequence rule AND the "waltz jump disguise as a toe loop" problem.

Mikawendy: From reading both of those two other threads, I could see where there's a HUGE source of confusion!!!

Thanks guys!!!

fmh
03-22-2008, 07:58 AM
jump sequences are dumb.
hah
combos are better :P

Skate@Delaware
03-22-2008, 11:21 AM
I'm sooooo glad I skate ISI now!!!! Less confusing, just throw in what you need, TA-Da! You are done!!! :D