View Full Version : March Issue of SKATING

Black Sheep
03-19-2008, 05:31 PM
I always seem to be the last one to get it every month, but mine hasn't even shown up at all yet! Who here has theirs and can tell me what's in the "Adult Corner" this month?

liz_on_ice
03-19-2008, 05:38 PM
I always seem to be the last one to get it every month, but mine hasn't even shown up at all yet! Who here has theirs and can tell me what's in the "Adult Corner" this month?

mine just came today. I haven't read it yet, but Adult Corner topic is 'Becoming informed key to successful competition'.

herniated
03-19-2008, 06:03 PM
Yeah, I feel the same way. I haven't gotten it yet either!!:evil:

jazzpants
03-19-2008, 06:06 PM
Black Sheep: Trust me, you're NOT the last one getting that magazine! I didn't get mine this morning in my snail mail either. Of course, I'm not in any hurry to get it, so I'm not too bummed about it.

icedancer2
03-19-2008, 06:14 PM
I haven't gotten mine - a friend of mine got hers last Saturday - what gives with that?????:x

jazzpants
03-19-2008, 06:18 PM
I haven't gotten mine - a friend of mine got hers last Saturday - what gives with that?????:x
I think the East Coast gets it first and then GRADUALLY makes its way to the West. :twisted: :P (Just kidding... I have no clue what's up with that...)

Terri C
03-19-2008, 06:30 PM
Still waiting for my issue too!

coskater64
03-19-2008, 06:44 PM
I got mine last week just haven't read it yet. :lol:

doubletoe
03-19-2008, 06:48 PM
The only hard and fast rule I know of is that if you are featured in an issue, you are guaranteed to receive your copy last. ;) That's definitely what happened both times I was in it, and this month my coach got written up, which would explain why I got mine two days ago and he hasn't gotten his yet. :roll:

NoVa Sk8r
03-19-2008, 07:02 PM
I'm on the East Coast and got my copy last week.

The Adult Corner (page 47) features "Becoming informed key to successful competition" and lists tips/suggestions/advice on how to navigate through the shoals of competitive jitters, logistics, procedures, and rules. Very apropos for (post)sectionals and AN.

SynchroSk8r114
03-19-2008, 08:35 PM
I think the East Coast gets it first and then GRADUALLY makes its way to the West. :twisted: :P (Just kidding... I have no clue what's up with that...)

You may be right about this because I live in the East and I received mine about a week ago.

TreSk8sAZ
03-19-2008, 09:27 PM
You may be right about this because I live in the East and I received mine about a week ago.

Nah, I'm in AZ and got mine about a week ago as well. I think it's really just luck of the draw.

Skittl1321
03-20-2008, 07:28 AM
I got mine in the mail yesterday. I figured it wasn't coming- since it was up on the website ages ago it seems.

Black Sheep
03-20-2008, 08:13 AM
The only hard and fast rule I know of is that if you are featured in an issue, you are guaranteed to receive your copy last. ;) That's definitely what happened both times I was in it, and this month my coach got written up, which would explain why I got mine two days ago and he hasn't gotten his yet. :roll:

That happened to me when I was in ISI's magazine in December 2005. Everybody was telling me my picture was in it, and I was the last to see it!

icedancer2
03-20-2008, 11:41 AM

I know that your coach was written up - which is why I want to see it - and my friend, who knew him in the '70's (I knew him in the '60's) told me about it and I can't wait to see it.

Maybe today.:evil:

AshBugg44
03-20-2008, 02:50 PM
I haven't gotten mine yet!!!

Terri C
03-20-2008, 04:21 PM
Finally got my copy today!

jazzpants
03-20-2008, 04:27 PM
No SKATING mag today. In fact, no MAIL today!!! :( (Of course, no mail means no BILLS... :mrgreen: )

happysk8tes
03-20-2008, 04:45 PM
I received my copy today - I live in northern NY, about 15 miles as the crow would fly to Canada.

Nice to see a full page ad for Lake Placid Skating. There's a picture of ADULT skaters in a class, I recognized some of my camp friends. : )

Pat

herniated
03-20-2008, 06:08 PM
Still nothin.:(

doubletoe
03-20-2008, 07:09 PM
I know that your coach was written up - which is why I want to see it - and my friend, who knew him in the '70's (I knew him in the '60's) told me about it and I can't wait to see it.

Maybe today.:evil:

Oh, that's cool! He finally got his copy, BTW, and he seems happy with the article. I thought it was nicely done, too. Tomorrow he's heading to Phoenix for his father's 92nd birthday (and as young as Gary is for his age, I'm sure he'll be in his 100's before he slows down!).

mikawendy
03-20-2008, 11:01 PM

I live in the east, too, and I received mine yesterday.

MusicSkateFan
03-21-2008, 08:38 AM
The article pretty much tells Adult Skaters to shut up, don't complain. If you don't like the way things are...get on the committee!:lol:
LOL!!!
Way to go USFSA!

skaternum
03-21-2008, 11:59 AM
Yeah, that's what I got out of that article too. Apparently, we're pestering the living daylights out of the referee for stuff that we shouldn't be.

I also really appreciate the comments about knowing the rules yourself and not relying on a coach. What a novel idea!

So to summarize the article, they encourage us to put the "adult" in Adult Skating. :bow:

w.w.west
03-21-2008, 04:19 PM
The article pretty much tells Adult Skaters to shut up, don't complain. If you don't like the way things are...get on the committee!:lol:
LOL!!!
Way to go USFSA!

The article says a lot but this is not one of them. Personally, this article couldn't have come at a better time.

w.w.west
03-21-2008, 04:20 PM
So to summarize the article, they encourage us to put the "adult" in Adult Skating. :bow:

Precisely! :lol:

herniated
03-21-2008, 05:15 PM
Still nothin!:(

icedancer2
03-21-2008, 05:20 PM
My issue still has not shown up!!

Something tells me we got it and my husband and/or the dog hid it!!:lol:

MusicSkateFan
03-22-2008, 01:05 PM
:giveup: :giveup: :giveup:

People please! Before you nail me to the......(NO REFERENCE TO THE CHRISTIAN HOLIDAY)

Just trying to bring some levity here. I thought the article was very well done. I did find some irony in the TIMING of the article.

As a fairly new competitor it was nice to have some things cleared up about who to speak to and when.

I like to think of my self as a big supporter of adult skating. I am sorry if my glib comment caused some of you to be offended. It honestly was not my intent.

Black Sheep
03-22-2008, 01:45 PM
I, too, liked that article about prepping for adult competitions. :D

icedancer2
03-22-2008, 06:32 PM
Hmm - for whatever weird reason, mine stil has not come!!

What gives?????????:giveup:

Isk8NYC
03-22-2008, 06:43 PM
East coast here - I got mine yesterday.

mikawendy
03-22-2008, 07:28 PM
East coast here - I got mine yesterday.

Hmm, I wonder if the mailings are done alphabetically club name? Or alphabetically by state? My club's name starts with the letter C; my state's name starts with the letter M.

techskater
03-23-2008, 09:47 AM
Can't be alphabetically by club name, I got mine a week ago last Friday and my club starts with a W. USFSA number?

mikawendy
03-23-2008, 10:18 AM
Can't be alphabetically by club name, I got mine a week ago last Friday and my club starts with a W. USFSA number?

My USFSA number starts with 15 (mine is 7 digits long).

jazzpants
03-23-2008, 10:40 AM
STILL don't have my SKATING magazine!!! :roll:

ETA: I typically don't get mine 'til about 2.5-3 weeks after everyone else anyway, so I'm NOT surprised with the delay.

doubletoe
03-23-2008, 11:28 AM

I don't think so. My coach's USFSA number is way before mine and he got his magazine later. And we live in the same city. I think there is honestly no system whatsoever! :giveup:

Had to go back and read the original post after seeing that quoted. . . Now I see you didn't mean *that* kind of "adult." :lol:

starskate6.0
03-23-2008, 12:57 PM
I don't have the latest issue but I just moved so i don't expect to ever see that one , However I see that someone mentioned the issue on Adult skating . Its true we do have to educate our coaches at times on procedures and rules regarding adult skating , after all there in business to make money as well as have fun and most of there income comes from regular track skaters.. . I am fortunate that my coach spends a lot of time researching this stuff and often comes up with whats required without me having to look things up . ( Maybe because she knows Im to lazy to do it :lol: ) However she keeps me on the strait and narrow with the regs etc. but still allows me to be creative and entertaining . We are a good match and her creative talents have been a blessing to enhancing my ability on the ice.. Id like to get her featured in the Magazine at some point but I have no idea how I would go about doing this .
Any clues...?

Mel On Ice
03-23-2008, 01:21 PM
Usual procedures for bulk mailing is delivery is at the descretion of the post office where you live, but has to be done within 2 weeks of the intended delivery date. A magazine tech gets in the Chicago suburbs may arrive on March 15, and black sheep's, closer to the city where there may be more mail, may not get delivered until March 30.

BTW, I got mine three days ago in West Michigan.

herniated
03-26-2008, 07:28 PM
I still haven't got mine.8O

coskater64
03-26-2008, 08:10 PM
I also liked the article for the adults. It only seems reasonable that we know the rules be prepared and leave the referee alone as they do have a large job to do. It does seem like common sense but the fact that it had to be said also says a lot...:halo:

jazzpants
03-26-2008, 08:20 PM
I still haven't got mine.8O
Me neither! Then again, I haven't checked my mail today. But wouldn't it be ironic if I don't even get this issue of SKATING 'til AFTER I'm back from Adult Nationals. :roll: :twisted:

icedancer2
03-26-2008, 11:33 PM
I FINALLY got mine yesterday. The article about Adults was good especially after having seen what happens at Sectionals (nothing bad, just observationally).

also very nice article about Gary Visconti in the "Where are They Now?" section - this is the 2nd month in a row that someone I know (or knew) was in Skating Magazine!!

jazzpants
03-29-2008, 02:45 PM
I JUST got my SKATING magazine THIS MORNING!!! SHEESH!! About TIME!!! :roll: :evil:

Yeah, it's true that you have to rely on yourself to be informed of the rules, especially since your coach may have a million and one things to think about. I mean they're only human. (Plus from my experience, a lot of the coaches out there DO NOT know anything about adult skating... especially if their students are pre-dominantly kids...) It's really up to you to know the rules yourself. (I've had times where I had to remind my primary coach of stuff too. He's only human here...)

I don't know if seeking out the judges after an event is a great idea at times. :?? I mean... they may have done tons of events at that point and I would think that s/he probably wouldn't even remember you or your program at that point....

WOW, doubletoe! Your primary coach looks VERY GOOD for a guy who's 64!!! :bow: :bow: :bow: (Must be the ice... ;) )

Isk8NYC
03-30-2008, 03:19 AM

Hmm, I wonder if the mailings are done alphabetically club name? Or alphabetically by state? My club's name starts with the letter C; my state's name starts with the letter M.

Last name: "G"
Club name: "C" - although I started the season as an independent member.
State name: "N"
USFSA number: 48... (It's six digits long, assigned in the early 1980's.)

LOL - maybe it's by FIRST name. My first initial is "L"

jazzpants
03-30-2008, 04:09 AM
LOL - maybe it's by FIRST name. My first initial is "L"Sorry to tell 'ya but given that Black Sheep had gotten hers a while back and her first initial's a "D", that shots the first initials theory.

I personally think that given this is sent Bulk Mail that it depends on how efficient your Bulk Mail postal service is in your area. It would explain everything for me.

singerskates
03-30-2008, 04:27 AM
Just a thought! :idea: Maybe the USFSA sends stuff in reverse order?

I don't know because our Canadian skating mag is done online and is emailed to your if you subscribe to it.

techskater
03-30-2008, 05:06 AM
I think Mel's right on the bulk mail and it woule explain why all the family mags show up pretty much on the same day

looplover
03-30-2008, 06:08 AM
Had to go back and read the original post after seeing that quoted. . . Now I see you didn't mean *that* kind of "adult." :lol:

LOL! Now that would make for an interesting interpretive program...:halo:

flo
03-30-2008, 09:31 AM
I like what they said about the skaters wanting exceptions to the rules. There's been a lot of that at AN's lately. Also good were the suggestions for after the event. I still remember at one AN, a skater won the event and was actually crouched down in a corner sobbing hysterically. He was followed by a bevy of other skaters.

techskater
03-30-2008, 10:34 AM
LOL! Now that would make for an interesting interpretive program...:halo:

Been done already by the ever irrepressible Beccapoo!

herniated
03-30-2008, 11:31 AM
Wish I had my magazine so I could relate to what you are all talking about!:twisted:

PatSkates
03-30-2008, 03:08 PM
Why doesn't someone just contact USFSA and ask them how they sort their bulk mail?

herniated
03-30-2008, 03:36 PM
Why doesn't someone just contact USFSA and ask them how they sort their bulk mail?

This happened once before to me and I did call USFSA and had to leave a message for someone who never got back to me. But, I was planning on calling them Monday.

Isk8NYC
03-30-2008, 06:17 PM
That would take the fun out of guessing the process! lol

jazzpants
03-30-2008, 09:31 PM
B/c that's the job of the US Postal Service, NOT USFSA??? :P

PatSkates
03-31-2008, 05:47 AM
B/c that's the job of the US Postal Service, NOT USFSA??? :P

So, maybe contact your local post office then, and see why you are not receiving your mail.

jazzpants
03-31-2008, 02:16 PM
So, maybe contact your local post office then, and see why you are not receiving your mail.USFSA only gives the stash of magazines and pays the bulk rates. Once that's done, it's out of their hands. However, I really doubt that US Postal Service would be able to help too. I just figured that it's easier to take the stance of "my magazine will come when it's time" and not worry about it.