View Full Version : Toes Problem

Ice Dancer
03-18-2008, 01:54 PM
I’ve always had poor circulation in my feet, to the extent if they get cold bones went out of position and you couldn’t bend them back until they warmed up, but lately my toes have been going blue. I didn’t realise what it was at first, it happens in and out of the rink, and I kept wondering how my feet were getting so dirty!

Anyway last night I had a really bad attack and they were tingling all night (what happens after they warm up), and they really hurt when they got cold at the rink this morning, I think it was where they didn't have a chance to recover from last night.

Has anyone else got a similar problem, and what have you done to overcome it? I'm considering a second pair of tights, currently I wear socks and OTB tights, and I got some fleecey insoles today to put into my boots in the hope that helps a bit. I'm against wearing thermal socks in case they make control difficult. Any suggestions would be gratefully received!

Skate@Delaware
03-18-2008, 03:23 PM
have you been checked for Reynaud's disease? it is a circulatory condition that affects the hands or feet (or both)....

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/raynauds-disease/DS00433

just wondering....

Query
03-18-2008, 03:25 PM
That must be awful. Blue feet are bad.:halo: Could end your skating fun altogether.

Someone at a store that sold diabetic shoes told me a lot of people (including some diabetics) with poor circulation they have to wear very loose shoes. That mostly knocks out figure skates. We could suggest you tie your laces less tightly at first, and warm up moving fast - but that risks an injury (blisters or even broken bones) if you take it too far, or do too much.

Is there any spot on your boots which feels TOO tight, that could be punched out? BTW they always say there should be a little space around your toes, partly for this reason.

Can you wear a hat, warm clothing, gloves? Making the rest of you warm is the classic way to warm fingers and toes, in any backpacking book.

Can you warm your boots before putting them on? Hair dryer on low, or use a low temperature boot dryer (like the 99 degree F Dry Guy circulators). Maybe warm your feet a bit too - or jog or jump rope first to warm up. Watch out - boot fit changes if they get too hot, like much over 100 degrees F. At least let them warm up inside before using them, if they were in a cold car.

Some folks use neoprene boot covers - but I assume that doesn't do much during the initial period while you warm the boots up with your feet. Some say they get in the way of close footwork.

I've never tried this, and it is extreme, but maybe you could put a chemical foot warmer inside a boot, like they sometimes use in skis and backpacking boots. If you alter your insole shape to make space there, you could put it under your toes. If you punch out the space over your toes and mid-foot (a permanent change), you could put it over your toes and mid-foot. But you would always need to have one there (though an old one would do when you didn't need a fresh one) so your foot didn't slide around. I'm not sure if they could get too hot to be safe - they all say not to let them touch bare skin.

Anyone else with better ideas?

Ice Dancer
03-18-2008, 03:30 PM
Boots are completely comfortable, even when toes start really hurting the boots themselves are fine! It's very odd.

I currently wear gloves, but not very thick ones, they are for protection rather than warmth so maybe I need to look into thermal ones. Hat isn't something I had thought of, because they are banned on public sessions (I now skate patch) it's something I've never used. Could be worth a try.

I had wondered if there was something I could put into boots, as I know someone who used to have a similar problem with fingers and she used a heat pad. The only thing that puts me off is the fear it would split while landing a jump! However, if it kept me on the ice it has to be worth a shot!!

Query
03-18-2008, 03:45 PM
Hat isn't something I had thought of, because they are banned on public sessions

Huh? Some rinks have such strange rules.

Say it is for a medical reason (doctor's note?), and they may decide they should accommodate your disability.

If they are worried it would come off and trip someone, or that hockey kids will start knocking them around, ask about a ski mask, or something that ties under your chin?

:mrgreen: Tell them you want to rob a bank, or it's part of your ice dance outfit.

What a crazy rule. I often wear hats or hoods (another option, but restricts peripheral vision) in cold rinks.

>The only thing that puts me off is the fear it would
>split while landing a jump!

Most of the throw-away chemical packs look pretty tuff. But, like I said, never tried it.

The idea of modifying your expensive boots in a permanent way is scary too - so try making new insoles out of leather or felt, and keep the old ones. Punching out over or beyond the toes is REALLY extreme, no way to go back. If you trust a good bootfitter, ask for help, either way.

I think my other ideas, like warming you and the boots first, are simpler. And Skate@Delaware's idea about Reynaud's disease is something to check too, though I personally fear taking drugs long-term.

If you are taking any drugs for anything now, this whole thing could be a side effect.

Ice Dancer
03-18-2008, 03:55 PM
I've just put the fleecy insoles in and I'm in heaven! Goodness that's comfy, it's like wearing slippers. Whether I'll be able to move is another thing.

I was even worried about putting these one in, I'm so particular about my boots. I put them in over the top of the old ones in case I didn't like them.

If I said I wanted to rob a bank after skating I think they would understand with the amount I spend at that place! :lol: The reason was in case kids skated past, pulled it over your eyes causing an accident :roll: Health and Safety to the extreme. I'm think if I explained they would be fine about it, some of the coaches wear baseball caps at times.

doubletoe
03-18-2008, 05:43 PM
If you can fit fleece insoles into your skates and have them be comfortable, then it sounds like the boots aren't overly tight, which is good. Still, if you are lacing the boots too tight right through the instep, that can cut off circulation to the toes (probably has something to do with that big vein right on top of the bone over the instep). My toes get cold when I lace tightly through the instep, so I always lace nice and snug in the toes and ankle, but a little looser through the instep.

techskater
03-18-2008, 06:14 PM
If I said I wanted to rob a bank after skating I think they would understand with the amount I spend at that place! :lol: The reason was in case kids skated past, pulled it over your eyes causing an accident :roll: Health and Safety to the extreme. I'm think if I explained they would be fine about it, some of the coaches wear baseball caps at times.

Why not one of those little ear warmer things that are like knit caps?

Query
03-18-2008, 06:14 PM
"I am not concerned that you have fallen; I am concerned that you arise." - Abraham Lincoln

What a great quote for a skater.

My toes get cold when I lace tightly through the instep, so I always lace nice and snug in the toes and ankle, but a little looser through the instep.

That should incidentally reduce arch collapse, maybe even increase the arch, if you think of the basic physics.

Hmmm. About the hat. Use religious head garb. If they complain - religious discrimination! Your actual religion is irrelevant to the usefulness of this technique. (If the rink is cold enough, you might get a surprising religious revival)

dbny
03-18-2008, 09:29 PM
have you been checked for Reynaud's disease? it is a circulatory condition that affects the hands or feet (or both)....

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/raynauds-disease/DS00433

just wondering....

My first thought exactly. I've had a few attacks that affected my little finger, and found that warming my midsection took care of it.

Mrs Redboots
03-19-2008, 06:52 AM
Huh? Some rinks have such strange rules.

Perfectly normal rule at most, if not all, UK rinks.

The only headgear (apart from protective helmets) that is allowed is religious headgear, which must be securely fastened.

Canskater
03-21-2008, 11:41 AM
You know .. I thought my old skates were comfortable too, but I had the same problem as you, although perhaps not quite to the same extent. Earlier this year I bought a new pair of skates with a wider toe box and voila !! The problem has gone away.

-- sheilagh

Sk8Dreamer
03-21-2008, 09:37 PM
I’ve always had poor circulation in my feet, to the extent if they get cold bones went out of position and you couldn’t bend them back until they warmed up, but lately my toes have been going blue. I didn’t realise what it was at first, it happens in and out of the rink, and I kept wondering how my feet were getting so dirty!

Anyway last night I had a really bad attack and they were tingling all night (what happens after they warm up), and they really hurt when they got cold at the rink this morning, I think it was where they didn't have a chance to recover from last night.

Has anyone else got a similar problem, and what have you done to overcome it? I'm considering a second pair of tights, currently I wear socks and OTB tights, and I got some fleecey insoles today to put into my boots in the hope that helps a bit. I'm against wearing thermal socks in case they make control difficult. Any suggestions would be gratefully received!

I have Raynaud's, and my toes can go numb even when the rest of me is sweating. What helped for me was two things (using both together):
1) boot gloves (http://www.rainbosports.com/shop/site/product.cfm/id/4AC58201-475A-BAC0-5623CACFAB984FB4)
2) silk/wool sock liners--I wear them alone in my boots, and I definitely have found that they're warmer than silk along (http://www.wintersilks.com/viewproduct.aspx?BRANCH=251~825~&ProductDisplayID=63&dept=Silk+Accessories-accessories&prod=618+silk+wool+mid-calf+sock+liners)

Sometimes I just have to take a break and take my boots off for a few minutes. When I put my boots back on, I'm much more comfortable. But for the most part, I've found that the combination of the boot gloves and the silk/wool socks allow me to skate pretty comfortably.

sk8tmum
03-22-2008, 11:43 AM
Please mention this to your doctor next time you see him/her; poor circulation could be a symptom of something else, and may be treatable.

Ice Dancer
03-22-2008, 12:08 PM
You know .. I thought my old skates were comfortable too, but I had the same problem as you, although perhaps not quite to the same extent. Earlier this year I bought a new pair of skates with a wider toe box and voila !! The problem has gone away.

-- sheilagh

I know it's definately not a skate problem because it's happened when I haven't had skates on too, in fact the worst attack I had happened when I was bare foot! It's also happened in comfy trainers.

I had to remove the wooly linings though, as when I put socks on it did make them too tight, big toe was scraping the top of the boot and they felt just too heavy, and I didn't like the idea of going sockless. So I have ordered some thick footed tights in the same make as my over boot ones, and am going to try with both pairs of tights and socks.

I'm going to mention it when I go to docs next time, as symptoms have changed some what. I've never discussed it with doctor, as it runs in the family, but I need a bit of reassurance after googling it and talking to you guys!! Thanks for all the advice by the way!

icy-cool
03-24-2008, 11:14 AM
hey, i have a similar problem witht hat my feet get so cold and painful that i get really bad cramp and cannot move them.Complete nightmare when your in the middle of a spin. Off ice i usually solve this by pulling my toes back and walking about a lot to try and get the circulation back into my feet, obviously you can't do this on ice. i've tried several pairs of socks and tights but this just doesn't work. however someone suggested that i try and take iron supplements (vitamin tablets), these have worked brilliantly... something to do with improving circulation. Might be worth a go? but consult your doctor first.

best of luck!