View Full Version : Winter or Spring? March 17 to 23

Rusty Blades
03-17-2008, 05:41 AM
WINTER!!!!!!!!!! Today was one of the last practice days before Nationals. Heavy snow and strong winds made travel insane - 30 minutes to go 4 miles! Had to turn around and come home. Travel is impossible until after daylight and by then it's too late to skate. :frus:

Spring: Not here! I hope somebody is having Spring!

Rob Dean
03-17-2008, 07:00 AM
Last week was a slow one for skating, as we had a convention for my other hobby, now much neglected. The top picture on this page, though, give a good reminder of why I'm on the ice.

http://www.lochsloy.ca/wargames/CW08.htm

In that world I'm incredibly thin and athletic, rather than large and lethargic like I am at the rink.:D

Winter: This week I'm testing the Willow Waltz on Friday. I seem to skate better under pressure, but I must say the last couple of lessons have been distressing as we take apart the problem turns and reconstruct them...

Spring: ...and over the last month, the problem areas and the good areas have switched with each other, so at least there's some hope that everything can be done on Friday. ;)

Rob

Sessy
03-17-2008, 09:07 AM
Pulled several neck muscles in an accident yesterday, can't even move my head. Doc told me the vertebrae were still in place, and so to take it to my physiotherapist on thursday so that's what I'm gonna do.

Meanwhile, no skating. :cry:

doubletoe
03-17-2008, 01:48 PM
Oh, no, Sessy! What happened??

SPRING
- Yesterday I spent some time fixing some little eyesores in my program that I noticed while watching my competition video from last week, then surprised myself by skating a clean program run-through! I was particularly happy to land the axel, since I had only waltz jumped it while warming up.
- Landed two double sals, so hopefully it's on its way back.
- Finally fixed the problem I've been having on my flying camel for the 2-1/2 years I've been doing it! Woo hoo!! I was practicing with a friend who has a great flying camel and I had her do some for me, really looking at her takeoff as she did them. She gave me tips on the torso position and timing on the takeoff, and once I got the timing right. . . Voila! A flying camel that doesn't teeter-totter as soon as I land! Who would have guessed that dipping my torso just before takeoff would be the thing that keeps me from dipping on the landing? I did it three more times and nailed it each time. Even got proof on video. :) Clearly, both of my coaches gave up on my flying camel takeoff too easily.

WINTER
- The two double sals were after my program run-through; I just did a single in the program (still technically a "clean program" but. . .)
- After landing the two double sals, I started over-correcting and got tilted in the air. Bam! Fell right on my right elbow.:x

Helen88
03-17-2008, 02:21 PM
Sessy you need to be careful! You've had far too many accidents recently - you need a rest! ((hug))

Sessy
03-17-2008, 04:04 PM
Just back from the hospital... Was at my doctor's this afternoon, seemed like nothing was wrong but it got worse, so I went to the ER... Diagnosis: concussion, plus whiplash...
:x :x :x

doubletoe
03-17-2008, 05:01 PM
(((((((Sessy))))))!!!!!

Kim to the Max
03-17-2008, 05:04 PM
Just back from the hospital... Was at my doctor's this afternoon, seemed like nothing was wrong but it got worse, so I went to the ER... Diagnosis: concussion, plus whiplash...
:x :x :x

(((((Sessy)))))

Please take it easy and get better quickly!!

singerskates
03-17-2008, 11:02 PM
Sorry RB, that you didn't get to go skate because of the bad weather. Spring will come, I just don't know when it will be weather wise.

Sessy, take it easy for a while and do try after your concussion subsides to head to a chiroprator. Just don't let them crack your neck.

Winter: Still waiting for my orthotics to be done, so I can pick them up and put them in my skates. Had a lovely allergy attack because of this corn beef that my husband bought in the States today. Turns out that the label just said "flavourings". Now we know if it comes from the US and says flavourings, it has artificial flavours and we won't be buying that product from the US.

Spring: This wasn't today but on Thursday and Friday. I was close to landing my flip. The loop now is being landed 75% of the time, so I have scratched my very cheated Lutz and put in the loop in my freeskate in it's place. I'm getting nice height on all of my jumps even though I'm still not able to bend much in my skates (still breaking in new boots). Thursday all of my spins that I did in my freeskate were nicely centered. Yet on Friday because I had a nice allergy episode while I was sleeping, I had a sinuse headache most of the day and couldn't balance right until after finishing with Ticket Ice and then went to the next pad over for the free March Break Public skating. At the end of the Public session as the Zamboni was getting ready to come on the ice and the skating guards were clearing the ice, I did a nicely centered Corkscrew in the middle hockey circle. Got a comment from a girl as we were leaving the ice saying that I was a very good skater. OK, I'll take that but if she would have seen me on the Ticket Ice travelling all over creation, she wouldn't have said so. I guess the allergy was starting to leave my body by then.

Winter: Still having trouble entering my spiral sequence onto my skating profile at the Skate Canada Members Only site. It just won't let me add my spiral sequence on my freeskate program content form which needs to be done for the controllers and judges for Adult Canadians.

Spring: Called Skate Canada about the problem with the planned program form and they said that they would get right on it and would get back to me about it on Tuesday. Wow, Skate Canada really is starting to take us adult competitive skaters seriously. Never had I such quick action before this year.

dbny
03-17-2008, 11:39 PM
Had a lovely allergy attack because of this corn beef that my husband bought in the States today. Turns out that the label just said "flavourings". Now we know if it comes from the US and says flavourings, it has artificial flavours and we won't be buying that product from the US.

OT:
Thought you might want to know that in the US, "flavorings" is one of the many ways of saying "monosodium glutamate". I just saw a program on brain diseases and learned that glutamate is what brain cells use to communicate and that it's possible that people with msg problems are affected because, in them, the msg crosses the blood-brain barrier and over stimulates their brain cells.

deannathegeek
03-18-2008, 09:25 AM
The construction on the new rink is almost complete. Almost. All classes and public skate sessions were cancelled for the week until the rink is ready, which they hope will be in time for public skate on Saturday.

Rusty Blades
03-18-2008, 10:02 AM
Spring: Well it's about #$%$# time - finally on the road to recovery - felt the best I have felt for WEEKS! Oh the energy still isn't back to normal but it's on the up-swing. Everything was horribly rusty after being run-down and woozy (from an inner ear infection) for weeks and needs lots of practice but it finally feels like there is hope for the up-coming competition.

Many things were half way back to normal: upright spins, Waltz jump, footwork. Forward and backward edges were pretty good, forward XOs were smokin' again. If I time it right, I should peak at Nationals 8-)

Winter: CCW footwork and Toe Loops were still poor.

Spring???? On the drive to work after skating I was thinking about the sessions I have left before competition and realized that the one rink where I will be skating next week is a proper figure skating rink - NO BOARDS! - and one of the things I need to work on is my jumps, which I only feel secure about along the boards! I think skating without boards is going to force me to face my fears - LOL! I chuckled about that all the way to work :mrgreen:

looplover
03-18-2008, 11:13 AM
Oh no Sessy!!!!! Get well soon...

Mrs Redboots
03-18-2008, 01:05 PM
Winter: Worked on compulsory dances in our lesson.

Swing Dance - don't let's go there....

How is one supposed to hold a man in waltz hold and keep one's shoulders back?! It seems like a physical impossibility.

Spring: Dutch Waltz and Rhythm Blues better than I expected; lots of little picky corrections and Husband and I both blaming each other for the faults, but that's normal!

BatikatII
03-18-2008, 06:18 PM
Winter: strange day today and not sure why

Spring: Ice was nice. Tried to improve on my jumps at speed and actually managed one really good (well for me anyway) loop that I went into without slowing down so it is possible - just needs lots of practice to stop bottling it at last minute. Did a couple of great Flips too that I really enjoyed.

Spins were odd - upright was travellign all over, backspin came and went. Worked on getting better and lower position in sitspin and at one point ended up quite accidentally almost in a broken leg sit spin that really accelerated. It was such fun but I couldn't quite emulate it again but will defintily work on that. I want one for the improvisation comp.

Kim to the Max
03-18-2008, 09:54 PM
[Winter]
First session was crowded and so many people were working on show programs, so I decided to not do mine...

I focused on pulling my arms in for my axel, but they were still not landed on my toe :( I'm getting so frustrated!! :frus:

The next test session, of course, falls when I am on duty for work...I just hope that one of my colleagues will help me out...

[Spring]
Spins were quite good today, as were jumps....

I did a few of my moves patterns, so that they stay fresh...did the back power 3's (CW and CCW) and it appears that the CW have gotten a bit stronger than the CCW! oops :oops:

Brackets were nice an smooth...coach actually commented on them as she was getting off the ice for the night...

...guess there will be no excuses for not passing this time...

icedancer2
03-18-2008, 10:38 PM
Winter: 1st lesson since Sectionals and it's BACK TO BASICS with my coach. I think she is just starting to realize just how crooked my body is and it is driving her crazy!! So today we worked on edges, edges, edges, edges and everything is about my right hip and how I need to get it under me.

Really hard to go back to doing that when you've been working on other stuff.

But I promised I would work hard and try to get less crooked, but I'm afraid age is doing it's thing - that, and gravity!!!:evil:

Spring: Free publics at my mall rink because I'm taking a class - MITF - heading over there tomorrow to practice edges, edges, edges, edges, edges....;)

jazzpants
03-19-2008, 12:17 AM
Spring: My skating club had a skating showcase/critique for all the adults that are going to AN. We got our critiques done over dinner at Chevy's afterwards (since we had to clear off the ice for hockey...)

Winter: Ooooooh, dear! I got a few surprises!!! My jumps were counted as a different jump than the intended one. One of those was actually my flip. One judge counted it as a toe loop. Another judge counted the flip as a LOOP!!! :oops:

And yeah, I know my sit spins could be lower too... that one I know and it's gonna have to wait 'til after AN to get fixed. :roll:

Spring Again: The program was overall VERY clean and very smooth! Okay, I didn't do the loop-loop combo, but I did a clean loop with nice flow out and my intended flip was clean!!! They like the dress!!! And the judge that gave me the critique had commented that he was very proud and very happy for me b/c he remembered how I skated at my Bronze FS test and he "saw a lot of improvements since then!" I got good speed and I had EXTRA time so I actually put back the section of footwork that my primary coach had taken out so I can actually finish the program right at the right moment!!! :mrgreen:

Mrs Redboots
03-19-2008, 06:54 AM
Winter: One of those days. Left edge skidding all over the place. Coach checked boot and blade and said it's definitely me, not it....

Spring: In my experience, a day like that when you can't skate at all is very often followed by a major breakthrough, so am not worried!

Rusty Blades
03-19-2008, 10:17 AM
Mid @$#%$ January! Today was "simulated competition" for my Interpretive - 6 minutes warm-up, short delay, skate the program.

Well I sure hope it is true what they say (poor practice = good performance) because, if it is true, my Interpretive at C.A.N. will be GREAT because it stunk to high heaven today! Absolutely TERRIBLE skate! I'm surprised my coach doesn't disown me and my club hasn't asked for their club jacket back!

Tomorrow we'll see what kind of mess I can make of the Free program ..... :frus:

jazzpants
03-19-2008, 12:03 PM
Winter:
I am so NOT a morning skater!!! I am just so NOT a morning skater!!! :evil: :giveup:

Yup! Missed the loop on BOTH runthrus. The second runthru I got the flip but it was my wimpo version of one. :frus:

No lesson with secondary coach today. She is sick and she left me a msg saying asking if we could have a lesson Friday. Lucky for her, I do plan to be back Friday anyway for my runthrus, so I said yes! Besides, we got stuff to go thru on my judges critique.

Spring:
Got lots of kudos for my program last night on our judges critique! Earned the title from a fellow skater for both "Hardest working skater" and "Most Improved over time" :mrgreen: (Hey! I gotta have some spring in my life here!!! :P )

Rusty Blades
03-19-2008, 12:16 PM
Stuck In The Mud: Just saw the revised entry list for who's in my Interpretive group! I am roasted, toasted, and over-easy before I even take to the ice. Time for a strategy change. No more "serious competition" - now we're going for laughs! (I LOVE making the judges grin!) If you can't win, you can still be memorable! :mrgreen:

doubletoe
03-19-2008, 01:47 PM
Winter: Ooooooh, dear! I got a few surprises!!! My jumps were counted as a different jump than the intended one. One of those was actually my flip. One judge counted it as a toe loop. Another judge counted the flip as a LOOP!!! :oops:

Wow, were they drinking at the time? Maybe the one who counted the flip as a toeloop isn't used to watching CW skaters? What did your coach think?

jazzpants
03-19-2008, 01:57 PM
Wow, were they drinking at the time? Maybe the one who counted the flip as a toeloop isn't used to watching CW skaters? What did your coach think?I'll know more tomorrow when I see at least one of them. (Secondary coach is out sick today. Will have lesson with primary coach tomorrow and secondary coach makeup on Friday...)

I was thinking the same thing about the judge that thought I was doing a toe loop instead of a flip, especially since I don't have a standalone toe loop in this program and I guess he doesn't know that I now have a flip. (He's probably quite surprised that I have a loop now too.)

What were they drinking? Who knows before getting to Chevy's! (We all got together for dinner at Chevy's to get the judges' response. I only saw one margarita shared and it was between two other skaters in the group. :twisted: :P I actually like this method of getting the judges critique -- over dinner! :mrgreen: )

Mrs Redboots
03-19-2008, 04:39 PM
Stuck In The Mud: Just saw the revised entry list for who's in my Interpretive group! I am roasted, toasted, and over-easy before I even take to the ice. Time for a strategy change. No more "serious competition" - now we're going for laughs! (I LOVE making the judges grin!) If you can't win, you can still be memorable! :mrgreen:
Amen, sister! Mind you, it's a bit frustrating when you've seen the judges enjoying your programme hugely, and they then give you 1.2 or worse, 0.8! But as long as the audience enjoyed it....

And as long as you have fun. Nobody will have fun watching you if you're not having fun out there - so go and enjoy yourself.

Wow, were they drinking at the time? Maybe the one who counted the flip as a toeloop isn't used to watching CW skaters? What did your coach think?
I've seen this before; at the first Oberstdorf competition one skater was horrified to find that what she had written down on her PPC sheet as a loop jump, a flip and a lutz were all three called as loop jumps. My coach said this can happen if you don't pick in cleanly and it looks as though you are gliding back on that edge, not picking.

doubletoe
03-19-2008, 06:59 PM
I've seen this before; at the first Oberstdorf competition one skater was horrified to find that what she had written down on her PPC sheet as a loop jump, a flip and a lutz were all three called as loop jumps. My coach said this can happen if you don't pick in cleanly and it looks as though you are gliding back on that edge, not picking.

Yes, I figured that may have been what happened when Jazzpants' flip was called as a loop, but the toeloop call for the flip was a bit of a head-scratcher, LOL!

jazzpants
03-19-2008, 08:05 PM
Yes, I figured that may have been what happened when Jazzpants' flip was called as a loop, but the toeloop call for the flip was a bit of a head-scratcher, LOL!
Yeah, I could buy the argument about my flip being called a loop. (Secondary coach and I have been working on that issue... :roll: )

The toeloop was the head scratcher. That particular judge had down me down for 4 TOELOOPS!!! (I'll fix the third one soon. One of my "extra toe loop" in a jump seq was a WALTZ JUMP!!! :evil: I have primary coach rearranging my jump seq. so that it will be OBVIOUS that there is only ONE toe loop.) The flip was the 4th toe loop, so I thought maybe he thought I was jumping CCW? :??

Kim to the Max
03-19-2008, 08:17 PM
[Spring]
Had a ton of fun at the rink acting a fool with a friend...there is something about my skating friends that i just don't get from my non-skating friends...

Worked on axels and yet again was sooooooooooooooo close...however, I did have some that were landed on my toe :) I just need to get that consistent...but I was also focusing on pulling my arms in....which is helping with the rotation (of course).

Laybacks were good again :) But, flying camels need some work...

Did the power 3s, back double 3s and brackets just to keep up with it.

Found out that the next test session is on 4/26, so I needed to do some switching of things for work (I needed to switch my duty week with someone...I asked the person who was on duty when we don't have ice to switch, and I "sweetened" the deal by telling her that I would cook for her...she chose caramel french toast :) )

[Winter]
Still not landing my axel the way it should be landed....

kander
03-19-2008, 10:55 PM
Winter: Had one of my worst sessions ever, and during my lesson to boot. I couldn't do anything. I apologized to my coach for sucking so bad.

Spring: Had a great follow up session which removed the stench of the previous one :lol: Besides doing all my jumps, I -finally- did a clean reconstructed axel! Unfortuneatly I was so suprised I sat down on the landing.

Skittl1321
03-20-2008, 07:36 AM
Winter ouch. everything hurts.
I am having SO much trouble with the traveling circles in our latin program. I fell out of both of them last night. The larger one I more FLEW out of then fell, and the smaller one I messed up everytime. Neither fall hurt- since the ice was clean I just slid for a long time, but today I have bruises. I end the routine in a stag (no split anymore, I can't get down fast enough) and I stabbed my thigh one of the times. I didn't cut it, but it hurts! My legs, back, and arms are just general sore because I skated about 45 minutes more than I'm used to, and went to the gym for the first time since i hurt myself yesterday. It's going to be a long painful day.

Spring My private lesson went well. The ice was terrible, but I managed a few decent combo spins. I hope I can do them on good ice too... My coach praised my program, and told me my spiral looks excellent. I don't know if I have competition, or will be against a book- but the book makes me nervous. Now that I know how it's judged, I don't want to end up with a participant ribbon! and I know that I can't beat the book.

We set my compulsory routine, and that was fine- if I can hit the skills. I did it 5 times and once I missed the salchow (that never happens WTH?), and twice I missed the combo spin (that happens a lot). Good ole toe loop was always there for me, but is argueably a toe waltz 90% of the time. I don't think I'm beating anyone, alive or book there- but it was a good way to force me to get better at these skills.

During the lesson I also practiced stroking to music, as I'm doing the stroking event. He put in a 4:00 song, and had me turn around to stroke the otherway at the 2:00 mark. Oh my goodness that was the longest 4 minutes of my life! By the time I switched to clockwise I thought I was going to die. Still, the only comment was "arch your back more" and I didn't hit any toepicks, so I think it went okay.

Scarlett
03-20-2008, 08:24 AM
Winter - Dutch waltz was appalling. I hate that dance. The progressive after the second swing roll gives me fits for some reason.

Spring- Did the canasta tango to music for the first time. Coach said "It has hope."

looplover
03-20-2008, 08:34 AM
Winter - in the Arctic: So, maybe I should stop competing, because as soon as I send that form in I get mental block and triple the nerves and I'm convinced I'm going to make a fool of myself. Headed to practice this a.m. with good intentions...almost nothing worked and I couldn't bring myself to do a flip at all - I thought I looked totally awkward this a.m. I don't mind at all that I'll lose to the other skater, I just don't want to have people in the stands wonder why I'm bothering....ugh.

Spring: Well, my RBO double 3 is killer lately. However, I think I've turned it into a twizzle, I'm not quite sure. I like it though. I wish my entire program could consist of it. :P

Mrs Redboots
03-20-2008, 10:51 AM
Winter - in the Arctic: So, maybe I should stop competing, because as soon as I send that form in I get mental block and triple the nerves and I'm convinced I'm going to make a fool of myself. Headed to practice this a.m. with good intentions...almost nothing worked and I couldn't bring myself to do a flip at all - I thought I looked totally awkward this a.m. I don't mind at all that I'll lose to the other skater, I just don't want to have people in the stands wonder why I'm bothering....ugh.

But doesn't that happen to everybody as soon as they've sent in their entry forms? It certainly does to me. And then there is the awful week before you actually go to the competition when you wonder whether you have actually ever skated before or if you just dreamt it all.

It's called (by me, anyway) "Darkest Hour Syndrome", and it's more than made up for by that wonderful moment when they call your name and you go out there and everybody cheers their heads off. We will not discuss that less than wonderful moment at the end when you know that, once again, you've made a complete tit of yourself, and the applause is more polite than enthusiastic - but the rare occasions when the closing applause is enthusiastic more than makes up for it!

Rusty Blades
03-20-2008, 01:38 PM
Bleakest Darkest Winter: Another disastrous day on the ice! Energy all gone, brain fried, no zip..... burned out..... need rest.... and Nationals in 14 days 8O Wake me up afterward and tell me how I did :roll:

Rob Dean
03-21-2008, 06:26 AM
Spring: I had a "stolen" session on Wednesday (using time I didn't expect to have), which is always nice. I ran into mikawendy at the rink, too, and we chatted over the zam break. I also had a decent lesson with my secondary coach last night in anticipation of testing today.

Winter: I'm still a little nervous about this Willow Waltz test today. I might not have put it in except for the fact that DS is skating two tests today (Novice moves retry and a fourteenstep) and I figured that I'd be there anyway. Primary coach (and test partner) was not displeased with it at Monday's lesson, so we'll see.

Rob

Kim to the Max
03-21-2008, 06:47 AM
[Spring]
Test forms for April are out as of yesterday! I'm going to print and fill one out before my lesson today so that I can send it out tomorrow...there is no way that I am not getting into this test session :twisted:

Program was actually pretty good, except for once again not getting my lutz in because a certain coach likes to plunk her beginning skaters in that corner!

Spins were wonderful today! Camel spins were fast and with minimal bobbles, the scratch/back scratch has been working for me...laybacks were decent for just starting to work on them again...

[Winter]
Flying camels were a no go...Marissa saw that I'm jumping out not around...need to work on that...

Axels were not happening last night :( Again, for the most part, I'm getting the rotation, but landing hard on a flat foot...I had a few that were closer, but not close enough for my liking....

looplover
03-21-2008, 07:57 AM
And then there is the awful week before you actually go to the competition when you wonder whether you have actually ever skated before or if you just dreamt it all.

It's called (by me, anyway) "Darkest Hour Syndrome", and it's more than made up for by that wonderful moment when they call your name and you go out there and everybody cheers their heads off.

:mrgreen: thanks! yup, let's hope that's what happens in the end!

Winter - slightly thawing: Lesson this morning was much better than the last couple of practices. I did manage to get the flip-toe and the salchow after - but not to the music. Need to slow it waaaaay down. Have been trying to speed through straight line footwork in an attempt to be both Sasha Cohen and Alexei Yagudin. I am neither of those skaters. Change foot spin wasn't great. Once I totally aborted my flip in the program because for some reason I took off in the air in the middle of my three turn and then was in a weird position.

Spring - I know exactly what I'm doing wrong, so there's hope of fixing it. Skating at top speed like a banshee and not getting the positioning I need - not setting up the flip/transferring weight, and looking down. OK, so that's what I need to work on. My coach is very good at combating my neurotic skating issues, which is above and beyond the call of duty. My loops were good today and I still love that double 3 turn. :P

Mrs Redboots
03-21-2008, 08:36 AM
Spring: Edges back today - I think it must depend on how I tie my boot, so I must remember to take my time doing that!

Spent a long time dancing this morning - a beginner adult dance couple were playing all sorts of music, which was great fun, and we were able to do some thoughtful run-throughs of the compulsories we need for this year, as well as some casual run-throughs of dances we don't!

Winter: Our waltz hold is still awful, especially when Husband is going backwards. I'm sure it's partly him not me - I'm quite convinced he sticks his bum out; no matter how far forward I push my pelvis, there he isn't! Coach1 had suggested we tie ourselves together with a Dyna-band, so we tried that, but not very successful.

I canNOT do that Foxtrot Mohawk in our free dance for love nor money!

FlyAndCrash
03-21-2008, 10:57 AM
Spring: Worked on my show program today. We did a complete overhaul the other day and added some choreo to it today. I also landed all my axels on the run-thrus except the first.

Spring: I landed a clean 2sal and some 2footed ones.

Winter: There were so many girls on the ice today!!! I normally don't skate today, but it was spring break here so I went on the pursuasion of my coach.

Winter: It's been snowing since last night and the snow shows no sign of letting up. I hate hate hate shoveling the driveway!!!

jazzpants
03-21-2008, 12:07 PM
Winter:

Had no energy after the first runthru of the program... my lower back was killing me during the second runthru of my technical and barely survived my artistic program runthru afterwards. The only reason why I ran it is b/c my personal trainer was on the ice with me and well, obviously I want to keep up with my training and not slack off. Of course, my personal trainer was there to help me with the start of my music (since my CD didn't have any lag time. :( )

Ummmm... it's Good Friday... but NOT GOOD for this skater who wants to run thru her program and can't b/c she had TWENTY-ONE (me included) skaters on the ice, never mind the coaches that are on the ice with them...

Spring:
Went thru my critique notes with my secondary coach and I'm VERY thankful that I did. Yesterday my primary coach gave me a fix that solves the problem of the waltz jump being mixed up as a "toe loop." HOWEVER, the "new" jump sequence is NOT a sequence!!! The way it's set up it's too different jump. (Okay, I'll start another thread on this...)

Sooooo we went back to the old jump sequence BUT we added a "toe tap" between the sal and the waltz jump. When we went thru the jump sequence with someone that didn't know what the jump look like, it passed the test (well, sorta... he said "that was a salchow-toe tap-waltz jump-toe waltz" :roll: :lol: Alright! I need to fix that problem too!!! :giveup: )

Skittl1321
03-21-2008, 12:14 PM

Well isn't Jazzpants a CW skater? The judge might have just seen the foot that picked, not made the CCW vs CW connection and assumed it was a flip.

(My coach had a skater fail a test because the judge said she repeating the same side of a move on the test and reskate. It turns out she did her good side first, opposite of what most skaters did first- so when the judge saw her start the second part of each pattern on the side most skaters do first, they can only guess, he must have not paid attention to the first side. The tape clearly shows both sides)

jazzpants
03-21-2008, 12:33 PM
Well isn't Jazzpants a CW skater? The judge might have just seen the foot that picked, not made the CCW vs CW connection and assumed it was a flip.Actually (to be nitpicky) it was intended to be a flip but it was called a toe loop b/c he didn't make the connection between a CCW vs. CW connection. My secondary coach thought the same as doubletoe... he wasn't watching the direction that I was turning!!! (But I know what you mean...) :)

All of us CW skaters are gonna have fun getting dinged for a toe loop that was a flip!!! :P

jskater49
03-21-2008, 02:22 PM
Spring - I practiced the Swing today and never chickened out of the mohawk. They weren't beautiful but they were on time and they got me in the right spot.

Also DD has changed the end pattern since we are doing it in the show with a chunk of the end curtained off....so I have to hold my left leg in front of me in flair for 4 beats. Then step forward to do a chasse. THat's a little tricky but DD told me to make sure I bring both feet together frist and it was much easier. Actually turning my head and shoulders to get read to step out gets me a better lean and a better edge for the flair. I am going to have coach work with me with that in my next lesson though.

j

Rob Dean
03-21-2008, 04:59 PM
Winter: Ah well, sent back to retry the Willow again at a later date. At least I made all the turns and had passable flow; extensions and toe points needed work. No great surprise...

Spring: DS at least passed his novice moves on the 2nd try (and the fourteenstep), so I had some vicarious skating parent pleasure out of the test session. :)

Rob

Kim to the Max
03-21-2008, 10:09 PM
[Spring]
Back to test mode with coach...worked on moves and spent time reworking the power circles to make sure they are on pattern (this simply involves me turning a 1/4 turn on the back ones so that I am facing the short axis, not the long axis).

Power 3s were okay...CW were a little...eh...but okay...Back double 3s were good, but coach wants me to push a little harder on the outsides to get a bit more speed going through....Slips and rips were fine....

Did a clean program run through for coach...she actually said my first camel-sit was beautiful :)

We had time at the end for axels, which was good...coach was funny because I am so close, and she just wants me to land it, but I'm still not pointing my toe the way I need to be...so she tortured me with doing loop/loop/loop/loop and axels from a side hop and she started calling me twinkle toes :roll: I had a couple that were close to landing on the toe, but not many...

[Winter]
Brackets...my nemesis....FO-BI were okay, FI-BO I struggled with them as usual...there is something about the BO edge and the positioning of my arms that just isn't working...I am way on my toe and almost forcing the edge...I have no clue on how to fix that :giveup:

No ice until I skate on campus on Wednesday because of Easter and show practice....then I will have my lesson on Thursday because of show practice and the show....then I leave for a work trip to Atlanta and then my club has no ice until 4/12! Luckily I can skate on campus for that week so that I don't get too rusty before my test! I just don't know what we are going to do for lessons because my coach isn't on staff at the rink on campus....

dbny
03-21-2008, 10:18 PM
Winter: Ah well, sent back to retry the Willow again at a later date. At least I made all the turns and had passable flow; extensions and toe points needed work. No great surprise...

Spring: DS at least passed his novice moves on the 2nd try (and the fourteenstep), so I had some vicarious skating parent pleasure out of the test session. :)

Rob

Good for you for trying, anyway! Congratulations to your son!

Spring:
Had a really good lesson today in spite of the fact that there were several birthday parties going on and I hadn't practiced all week. We only did 4 things the whole time - one foot spin from T push (from and to the line), back spin, FI threes, and FI mohawks. I love the T push entrance, it feels so solid, and I love the feeling of guiding myself into the spin with the L arm. The entry is very nicely controlled, and I got several good spins. Got a few single revs on the backspin in lesson and entered one so perfectly that when I bailed, coach said it would have been perfect. I was afraid I was going to catch that BO edge and fall like a ton of bricks straight over with nothing between my head and the ice. That's when we moved on to the FI threes. Coach showed me a new way to practice them by doing half swizzles on a circle to get up some speed, then feet together, one foot and turn. That went fairly well, with no touchdowns of free foot at all. LFI mohawks are suddenly not so scary, so we worked on properly checking them, which still needs work. RFI mohawks are a bit better.

Winter:
I really need to practice, and I really want to, but getting up early (before 11 AM) is just so hard for me still. I may be teaching a 9 AM class on Thursday mornings, so that should help.

slusher
03-21-2008, 10:50 PM
All of us CW skaters are gonna have fun getting dinged for a toe loop that was a flip!!! :P

It gets even better as a CW jumper if you do a toe loop entrance with RFO 3 turn step on left then pick, exact same outside 3 turn as flip entrance. For sure you get a flip call.

My coach calls my flip a floop. I have severe flooping issues. My whole body is floopy.

Winter: I have no ice as we found out yesterday on our session that the rink was being taken over by a hockey tournament. April 11 was what we were told, apparently not, that was a typo, it was March 21. How they mixed it up that severely I don't understand especially since we are on a holiday weekend. So, no ice for 10 days as there is another event after that!

I fell a lot on my session, I was falling on spins, both entrances and exits. My body is all convoluted trying to hold onto an edge that didn't happen, and over I go. These are good falls, I don't hurt. Isn't skating stupid when you celebrate falling? The result is that I think I know what is going on, but I won't see coach for lesson for at least three weeks, so can only fret about it in the meantime.

Spring: (trying to think of something good) I have my program choreography figured out, finally and can do the whole thing to the music - almost! I'm not on time but do have all the steps memorized. Lots of off ice walk throughs will reinforce that.

I'm a bit happy at having the skating break. I've got a few naggy aches that could do for a rest.

mikawendy
03-21-2008, 10:53 PM
It gets even better as a CW jumper if you do a toe loop entrance with RFO 3 turn step on left then pick, exact same outside 3 turn as flip entrance. For sure you get a flip call.

Sounds like a little "Jedi mind trick" would be called for--"this isn't the jump you think it is" instead of "these aren't the droids you want"....

samba
03-22-2008, 05:15 AM
Coach1 had suggested we tie ourselves together with a Dyna-band, so we tried that, but not very successful.

Dont try this at home folks (at least not in front of the children!):D

Mrs Redboots
03-22-2008, 08:46 AM

Congratulations to your son, and commiserations to you! Is the Willow the same level as the 14-step in the USA as it is here? It is an eeeeeeevil dance, and hard to get the timing right.

Dont try this at home folks (at least not in front of the children!):D
There weren't any children around, luckily!

jenlyon60
03-22-2008, 08:57 AM
Willow is Bronze, 14-Step is Pre-Silver.

But 14-Step is often the first of the Pre-Silver dances tested for many skaters who test dance.

Rob Dean
03-22-2008, 10:14 AM
Willow is Bronze, 14-Step is Pre-Silver.

But 14-Step is often the first of the Pre-Silver dances tested for many skaters who test dance.

Yes, he's a full level ahead of me now, as we were both trying our first dance in our respective levels. :roll: Still hope to pull together a bronze level entry for the Picken Dance Classic in June...

Rob

jenlyon60
03-22-2008, 12:49 PM
Remember, you can always skate up at Pickens Pro-Am, although that depends on your comfort factor and what coach is willing to agree to.

I competed Pre-Gold one or two years even though I hadn't yet passed any of my Silver dances. Competed Pre-Gold once more with only 1 Silver dance under my belt. Not saying they were pretty, but I made it through. But my coach had several ladies all at Pre-Silver/Silver in the same age group.

Last year, I made the mistake of returning to ice too soon after my knee surgery, and had to withdraw from Open European. This year, not competing since I'm competition chair and will be too busy.

Hope you will be able to compete at the competition this year.

Rusty Blades
03-22-2008, 07:55 PM
Maybe Spring? I figured out why I have been exhausted! My blood sugar has gone wonky - putting too much stress on myself. Have to change my head space!

Bill_S
03-23-2008, 08:56 AM
Maybe Spring? I figured out why I have been exhausted! My blood sugar has gone wonky - putting too much stress on myself. Have to change my head space!

Hmm, sounds not so good. Be sure to get that checked out.

Spring: Because it is spring break here (yeah, right, with snow flurries!), the university coaches and rink workers are gone to warmer climates. They had posted a freestyle schedule for the break, but no one was here to run the rink for them. Instead, they left the key with one of the other adult skaters.

The good news is that ice time is FREE. I skated for two hours yesterday with no cost for ice time, and there were only a handful of skaters on the ice.

I got very low on a couple sit spins before they went away. That was worth the price of admission!

Spent the afternoon watching Worlds.

Mrs Redboots
03-23-2008, 01:23 PM

Poor you - not good. Make sure you eat mostly low-GI carbohydrates, but some high-GI ones during and after your workout (jelly beans or 100 ml of a sports drink are good).

Rob Dean
03-23-2008, 07:34 PM
Remember, you can always skate up at Pickens Pro-Am, although that depends on your comfort factor and what coach is willing to agree to...Hope you will be able to compete at the competition this year.

I'm looking forward to being there, and the question on my part is whether I'll be putting in at the Bronze level (skating up) or the more conservative Pre-Bronze (which would involve the Fiesta -- and I'd rather skate a slightly risky Ten Fox than do that again) this year. I'm willing to put that Willow on the ice for a competition, but the Ten Fox has been a bit stalled since I managed to bang my head on it in October, so whether my coach will be willing will depend on how the next month plays out. :) Of course, with DS likely to sign up for his event with coach and an open with his not-partner (see pictures on the "Post Pictures" thread), I'm committed to being there whether or not I skate. :)

Rob

Rusty Blades
03-23-2008, 08:01 PM
... jelly beans .....

Ooooo, I LOVE jelly beans! But I will save the jelly beans (and chocolate) for AFTER competition :yum:

Just turning down the self-induced stress and watching my diet has dropped my blood sugar from over 15 to less than 6 in 24 hours. I am feeling good enough I decided to do an extra skate tomorrow and I know I can do the Free skate program now.

Now that I know what has been going on, I feel I can be ready for Nationals in 10 DAYS! OMG, 10 days 8O

Breathe deep .... relax ..... there's no pressure ..... no stress .... :halo:

Bill: Not to worry. I have good care and I am "monitored" regularly. I also usually do a good job of monitoring myself. I just let things get away from me.

Salad anyone?

jskater49
03-24-2008, 09:13 AM
Spring - Coach had a healthy baby boy

Winter...so she's the only high level coach around here (no I don't need a high level coach but stay with me here) --DD had to wait a year when we moved to get in with her...she is flying a friend of hers from Florida to take her students for a few weeks and all the students are sharing the expenses. Well I just could not afford to pay for two shares of the expenses for DD and I so I'm not taking any lessons while coach is on maternity leave. :(

j

looplover
03-24-2008, 09:40 AM
Winter: Flip is out of the program

Spring: Flip is out of the program

Winter: Flip is out of the program because I just can't get it after my sit spin - too dizzy - freaking out - shoulders tense - can't transfer weight - having pre-competition meltdown - there's no crying in skating! (with apologies to Tom Hanks). I've already competed with the flip and got it both times - but it's fighting me.

Spring: Can't get the flip after my sit spin because lately my sit spins have been wicked fast. So that counts for spring. Not enough space/time to recover and get the jump that freaks me out the most. It has been replaced with a waltz-1/2 loop - salchow combination and then into the footwork.

Winter: This means my program is technically WAY below the level of my competitor at the upcoming competition, and that's a little embarrassing. I don't mind coming in 2nd at all, I just don't want my program to be that much lower in difficulty - oh well, can't worry about it. (too much)

Spring: Feel a zillion times better about skating a clean program now - wasn't going to happen before. At least my spins are good, even if I don't have the jumps I need to have.