View Full Version : Any ice-skating shop recommendations

cazzie
03-16-2008, 05:43 PM
I live in the UK - lousy local fitting service - but - about to go on holiday in Boston. Do you have any ice-skating shops you recomend?

I need boots for myself - never likely to amount to much as skater (adult, children ice-skate) - I have wide flat feet which tend to roll over onto an inside edge.... I don't want anything expensive and no intention of learning to jump. I'd just like a good shop who can heat mold something for me and move blades around to suit and maybe recommend arch supports. (Is this possible to get under or about $200 or so?)

ALso plan to get skates for my 5 year old who is beginner but very excited about ice-skating and growing so fast we're continually replacing ice-skates.

Also - somewhere which sells some nice ice-skating clothing would also be great. (Looking for a funky competition outfit for my daughter who will probably be doing 1st competition in summer).

smelltheice
03-17-2008, 05:27 AM
where do you live in the UK?

blue111moon
03-17-2008, 10:35 AM
If you're talking Boston, MA, USA, the obvious place is The Skating Club of Boston in Brighton. They have a dress shop and a skate shop in the rink. (though, getting the kind of skates you describe for under $200 might be a challenge.)

Everything else I can think of is outside of the city: The Ice House in Wellesley, Freida B's Clothing in Framingham.

But those might give you somewhere to start.

When are you coming?

happysk8tes
03-17-2008, 03:44 PM
I think you could possibly find a good pair of well fitted skates at Cooke's Skate Supply in your price range, but it's in Wilmington, Ma.

www.cookesskatesupply.com

I love my custom made FreidaB ice dance dress, I double this recommendation! I'm an adult, size M top, L bottom, T girth, and this gorgeous dress fits like a glove. She's in Framingham, but also sells dresses at the Skating Club of Boston's skate shop.

www.freidab.com

cazzie
03-18-2008, 12:00 PM
We're coming to Boston on the 2nd of April. Realise the skates might be a bit more - but - worth it if I can somehow not roll onto inside edges! The dressed look amazing! Hoping to have idea of daughter's program really soon so that I can have fun looking for competition outfits with her. She is a bog-standard slim 9 year old.... We'll be hiring a car so can look around a bit. (Need to convince my unkeen on ice-skating hubby that daughter does deserve to go ice-skating at least once during the holiday).

I live in NOttingham - local shop allegedly ordered skates in my size - but - didn't hear about them for 4 months.... didn't do any helpful fitting for my daughter - so - for her I travel a couple of hours to get WIFA's fitted (coronation ace's etc.) I then bought myself some Riedell blue ribbon wide fit on the internet - but - think they're too wide because my feet move around in them - especially heels move all over the place.