View Full Version : Please Remove Yourselves from the Ice

jskater49
03-15-2008, 10:59 PM
So I was helping out at my old club's competition. Without warning I was handed the job of announcing and for the life of me, I could not think of the phrase "Skaters please leave the ice" and for some reason, this came out of my mouth... "Skaters, please remove yourselves from the ice" :P

DD passed her Rocker Foxtrot, thus finishing up her Silver dances.

j

techskater
03-16-2008, 05:21 AM
We had a referree tell an announcer that "Please clear the ice" is inappropriate as the skaters aren't dinner dishes...For the group that she said that it was appropriate because they were falling all over the place, though!

Sessy
03-16-2008, 08:38 AM
At our rink, they somehow always announce (I'm translating) : "Would the skaters now like to leave the ice?"

stacyf419
03-16-2008, 09:10 AM
I got this image of scraping myself off the ice with a spatula. Let's hope that's not a vision of the future!

onlyhappyonice
03-16-2008, 10:45 AM
I quite like the pre-recording "The current skating session is now ending, will all skaters please clear the ice immediately"

That long winded sentance allows me to get in a few precious seconds practice :lol:

Helen88
03-16-2008, 10:54 AM
We just have a steward who skate around yelling 'clear the ice!!' for like 5 minutes lol. That or the zamboni just keeps beeping it's horn until everyone's staggered to the benches.

onlyhappyonice
03-16-2008, 10:56 AM
The look on the rinkies faces when everyone ignores them and continues to curve around the rink is one of sheer annoyance, but can be oh so funny to see (not being in that position myself of course)

skaternum
03-16-2008, 09:28 PM
I announced at sectionals last year and was specifically told to never say "CLEAR" the ice. Skaters may be asked to LEAVE the ice, but (a) they aren't dishes and (b) the Zam clears the ice. :lol:

coskater64
03-17-2008, 01:11 PM
At our events skater clear the ice or leave the ice. The word please is usually used as well.:evil:

jskater49
03-17-2008, 01:55 PM
At our events skater clear the ice or leave the ice. The word please is usually used as well.:evil:

I always said please, and I thanked every skater by name when he/she finished their program.

j

singerskates
03-17-2008, 10:28 PM
At our rink, they somehow always announce (I'm translating) : "Would the skaters now like to leave the ice?"

To that I'd say, "No, I don't want to leave the ice. I'd like to warm up more." LOL They really ask the skaters if they would like to leave the ice during a competition? No way! What we get over here is, "Skates please leave the ice." We also get a one minute warning as well.

But at my club at the end of the freeskate sessions, I am the one who yells, "Play time is over." And everyone leaves the ice as I get the music cart unplugged and get it ready to bring it to the coaches room. Yeah, that's right. I feel getting to figure skate is like having play time. It's so much fun!

Isk8NYC
03-18-2008, 12:40 AM
When I skated in the 1980's, the announcer would say "This session is now over, please clear the ice."

Except one rink that had a smart aleck who had a chip on his shoulder about the figure skaters renting the ice. He would just yell "Your time's up! Get off the ice NOW!"

Wonder why his rink went out of business so quickly? Hmmmm....

Skittl1321
03-18-2008, 07:47 AM
He would just yell "Your time's up! Get off the ice NOW!"

Rather than honk our Zamboni once drove out onto the ice to cut off our straightline footwork- the second the clock turned 9:15.

I've seen them drive out on a public session too, and it didn't clear the ice the way it did for synchro. Public skaters don't necessarily know they aren't supposed to be on with the Zamboni.

Isk8NYC
03-18-2008, 08:04 AM
Rather than honk our Zamboni once drove out onto the ice to cut off our straightline footwork- the second the clock turned 9:15.

I've seen them drive out on a public session too, and it didn't clear the ice the way it did for synchro. Public skaters don't necessarily know they aren't supposed to be on with the Zamboni.
I'm sure their insurance company would love to know about that procedure. That must be a "dangerous driving" situation - like a moving violation, don't you think? Gak.

I HATE being on the ice with the resurfacer. I don't know why, but I feel very uneasy when I'm out there, even sitting in a box. I usually get off and "guard" the entrance door while I wait to get back on the ice.

Why can't they put a button at the zam end of the rink that can be pushed to start a PA system canned message? Just override the music being played and put on a "Please clear the ice, take all your belongings, and visit the snackbar" commercial, lol.

I almost got blitzed once at a freestyle when the zam came on. The driver opened the door, so I scampered to get my things and leave but a pairs team decided to do "one more lift." :roll: They were cut off by the aggressive zamboni and changed directions, heading straight for me like a freight train! They stopped in time, though just barely.

Rusty Blades
03-18-2008, 10:08 AM
Some of the rinks where I have skated use the "hockey horn" to announce the end of a session. At others, they open the Zam doors and the skaters are smart enough to leave the ice.

onlyhappyonice
03-18-2008, 10:13 AM
I don't think there's any need for things like that.

A nice pleasant request to vacate the ice at the end of the session should be enough.

There's NEVER any need to endager people by driving the zam around while there are still people on the ice :evil:

silverbeetle
03-18-2008, 02:29 PM
I announced at sectionals last year and was specifically told to never say "CLEAR" the ice. Skaters may be asked to LEAVE the ice, but (a) they aren't dishes and (b) the Zam clears the ice. :lol:

This is absolutely correct! Another interesting USFS protocol for announcers is: Skaters are on the ice during practices, Competitors are on the ice during warm-ups and events. So if your announcing a practice session at a competition you can use "skaters please leave the ice" If your announcing a competition and it's warm-up time...you'd use "competitors, please leave the ice"

For anyone that is interested, becoming an official USFS announcer is fun and you normally get the best seat in the house! If you want more information on how...let me know.

Silverbeetle

peanutskates
03-18-2008, 02:30 PM
we now have a hockey horn as well as a guy screaming "Clear the ice please".