View Full Version : New Blades...

Kim to the Max
03-15-2008, 08:41 AM
So, I ordered my new boots last week (Harlick Finalists again :) ), but I am buying new blades because I want to keep my current pair intact for that break in period at least...plus, my current blades are going to pot (I had one really bad sharpening and they haven't been the same since).

I currently have Coronation Comets and have been doing well in them, so part of me is tempted to stick with them, but another part of me is looking at this as an opportunity to upgrade a bit.

My skate fitter said that if I wanted to upgrade, she would recommend either MK Visions or Pattern 99s. I know that the change in rocker would be a major adjustment with any blade but the Comets because they are so flat. I was wondering if anyone has made the switch from Comets to either the Vision or Patterns...and what your experience was. I am leaning toward the Visions (partly due to cost but I am not set on them). What do you all think?

I am ready to retest my Intermediate moves, and am so close to landing my axel not cheated (coach was practically jumping up and down similar to a 2 year old in the midst of a temper tantrum because I was that close last night) and will probably be starting to work on doubles (double sals are fully rotated as of right now but not near being landed, but don't tell coach I have been doing them :roll: ) as soon as my pre-juv freeskate test is passed. My spins tend to feel very slow and sluggish, even though coach commented last night that they have gotten much better.

GeoffBowers
03-15-2008, 08:59 AM
Hi, About your decision over changing from Comets: You're probably aware that Pattern 99's have the same 8' rocker? I'm a taller guy and have just changed to these from Coronation Aces. The difference is wonderful for me. It makes sense that my;) center of gravity is higher and so the rocker curvature needs to reflect that in a larger radius from that centre. On a different tack, I also changed to Parabolic and the bite is terrific but is a double-edged sword since stopping and turning is more difficult. I'm hoping that more wear will calm them down. If not, I'll have to use the same shallow radius of hollow that I did previously. Taller = heavier and so a shallower roh makes sense too.

doubletoe
03-15-2008, 10:56 AM
I'd recommend getting the Pattern 99's for two reasons:

1. Rocker radius:
Coronation Comet rocker: 8.5'
Pattern 99 rocker: 8' (closer to Comet, and better for solid axel landings)
MK Vision rocker: 7' (huge adjustment!)

2. Rocker shape - The shape of the rocker varies by brand of blade, so sticking with the same brand (Wilson) will require less adjustment in finding your balance/sweet spot.

Either of these blades will be an upgrade as far as your spins go. Comets--especially once they have been sharpened a number of times--are probably the worse possible blade for spinning. Also, the slightly rounder rocker you'll get with a new pair of Pattern 99's will not be so extreme that you'll be off balance, but it will be enough to give you smoother brackets and 3-turns and keep your toepick from scraping on your back power circles.

By the way, Coronation Aces have a 7' rocker, so switching from the Coronation Comet to Pattern 99 might be less of an adjustment than going from the Coronation Ace to Pattern 99.

smelltheice
03-15-2008, 12:00 PM
I have the pattern 99 too and have done for some years now. I love this blade and it really encourages a good knee bend to keep from grinding your toe pick into the ice. I have the k-pick and you do feel a difference with toe jumps. Your toe doesn't go so deep into the ice and gives a bit more energy to the jump, especially with softer ice. Incidentally, I you are the first harlick boot fan I have seen on the forums. I learned to skate in europes only permanent ice theatre and alot of the show skaters there, including my trainer, wore harlick and swore by them. I am in Klingbeil at the moment tho.

Kim to the Max
03-15-2008, 05:08 PM
Also, the slightly rounder rocker you'll get with a new pair of Pattern 99's will not be so extreme that you'll be off balance, but it will be enough to give you smoother brackets and 3-turns and keep your toepick from scraping on your back power circles.

Thanks doubletoe...those are all good things to think about...I've been tossing around the idea of the pattern 99s today and that might be the better route to go....plus, you know how much I just LOVE brackets :roll:

Incidentally, you are the first harlick boot fan I have seen on the forums. I learned to skate in europes only permanent ice theatre and alot of the show skaters there, including my trainer, wore harlick and swore by them. I am in Klingbeil at the moment tho.

I love my Harlicks...when I skated in Milwaukee, WI, everyone had them and I fell in love. I had briefly considered changing boots, but why change something that works? Which is part of my dilemma with blades, but this change will be for the better... This will be my third pair of Finalists and while these didn't last as long in terms of active skating time, it's my own fault (never broke them in properly and literally just jumped right in in this past September).