View Full Version : Beware the Ides of March - concussion !

SkatingOnClouds
03-15-2008, 03:08 AM
Yes, today is 15th March, the dreaded Ideas of March from Shakespeare's Julius Caesar.

I ignored the problems I've been having with a slight strain on my right foot that caused me to miss a session this week. I even ignored the huge splinter driven deep into my right (landing) heel last night, and went skating.

A reasonably good skate all the same. Until 5 minutes before the end, when trying to copy what someone else was doing, I totally missed my pick and landed on the back of my head.

I was feeling pretty icky for a while there, and got carted off to hospital to be checked out. Class 2 concussion, no skating for 2 weeks!!!!8O
Doctor said a 2nd hit within 2 weeks could cause complications, eg death.

I am devastated to have to miss 2 weeks of skating while trying to prepare for a competition mid-May. And devastated to miss any skating at all because I just love it so much. The only good thing I can think of is that maybe my new skates will be here for when I do get back on the ice.

Sessy
03-15-2008, 05:45 AM
Concussions are nasty like that. A friend of mine had one, and went against doctor's orders and ended up with headaches that went on practically non-stop for several years. I've had two concussions myself, one for which the doctor had me stay in bed for 2 weeks with no reading, no tv and no sitting up and I was bored out of my mind. Concussions are the strangest thing, it's the only serious injury that I know which doesn't hurt anywhere...

At any rate - depending on what your doctor told you about do's and dont's of course - maybe you can do a few programme run-throughs off-ice, so long you don't jump and don't get dizzy, really work on your presentation, get all the pretty arm- and hand movements into your muscle memory?

Scarlett
03-15-2008, 07:01 AM
(((Skating on Clouds)))

Take care of yourself. Concussions can be nasty. Just think of this as a recovery period. Even the elites take them.

Skittl1321
03-15-2008, 10:31 AM
Oh NO! I'm glad you are okay.

Do stay off the ice like the doctor said. I think a lot of people dismiss concussions because we are used to hearing about sports players getting them and "playing through". But a concussion is a brain injury. That's a big deal.

Good luck staying sane while you stay off ice. I'm sure you'll still have plenty of time to prepare for your competition.

doubletoe
03-15-2008, 10:46 AM
Yes, today is 15th March, the dreaded Ideas of March from Shakespeare's Julius Caesar.

I ignored the problems I've been having with a slight strain on my right foot that caused me to miss a session this week. I even ignored the huge splinter driven deep into my right (landing) heel last night, and went skating.

A reasonably good skate all the same. Until 5 minutes before the end, when trying to copy what someone else was doing, I totally missed my pick and landed on the back of my head.

I was feeling pretty icky for a while there, and got carted off to hospital to be checked out. Class 2 concussion, no skating for 2 weeks!!!!8O

I am devastated to have to miss 2 weeks of skating while trying to prepare for a competition mid-May. And devastated to miss any skating at all because I just love it so much. The only good thing I can think of is that maybe my new skates will be here for when I do get back on the ice.

Oh, no, I am SO sorry to hear that! Please take care, and I hope you can find something fun to do while on your mandatory hiatus from skating.
Out of morbid curiosity, what was this move you were copying? I need to make sure I don't get inspired to copy it, since I've got Adult Nationals in just 3 weeks! 8O

Mrs Redboots
03-15-2008, 12:05 PM
Doctor said a 2nd hit within 2 weeks could cause complications, eg death.Not good, Karen - are you allowed to go to work, even? I know concussion can be very nasty indeed, and know at least two skaters who were off the ice - and, indeed, off work - for months, not just weeks. So do as you are told - you can keep fit, if you are well enough, off-ice, and won't lose too much int he way of training.

Hope you feel better soon.

Muskoka Skater
03-15-2008, 01:57 PM

Oh my gosh! SkatingOnClouds I know how you feel, I just got told that I have a concussion as well and I have to miss a month of skating. I can't skate, do trampoline, play soccer, and I can't do phys ed at school.

I hope you get better soon!

Skate@Delaware
03-15-2008, 06:19 PM
OMG!!! Well, you'd better do as the doctor says so you don't end up worse than you are now (or with severe long-lasting neurological problems).

If the doc said it's ok, you can do tons of off-ice stuff to keep in condition until you are allowed back on the ice. And it's ONLY 2 weeks!!!

dbny
03-15-2008, 08:56 PM
I'm so sorry! Please do follow doctor's orders, and even take it easy off ice too. You can't be too careful with your brain.

kimberley801
03-15-2008, 09:56 PM
Ditto what everyone else said about following doctors orders. I work with kids with brain injuries daily (everything from minor bump on the head/hematoma to major brain trauma taking months - years to rehab.)

Absolutely stay off the ice for two weeks. Consider a helmet until you know you are steady on the ice. A second brain injury right after the first can have devastating effects.

Please see your doc if you have any signs of a progressing or non-healing head injury (i.e. vomiting, changes in level of consciousness, increased dizziness, increased headaches, extreme fatigue, seizures, etc.) If something doesn't seem right, or you don't feel much better after two weeks, call your doctor!

On a lighter note, most mild concussions have no lasting effects.

miraclegro
03-15-2008, 11:00 PM
Believe me, listen to the Doctor. I had a very bad one and it took many weeks to recover. I would do okay at times, and then just have to sit down on the floor because everything would suddenly go weird and nauseous.

The main thing is not to jostle your head, i.e., skating, jogging, impact stuff.

But you can keep those muscles in shape, weights stretching. Practice off ice stuff besides jumping, you may even do better after a break.

Health comes first, even if you are frustrated. I missed doing a competition recently because of pulled back muscle and horrible asthmatic bronchitis.
I was lucky enought to not send the app. right at the last minute. I'm glad i did, though, it's been amonth and 1/2 and between everything it's just now getting back on track. 2 weeks isn't too bad..... i am praying for you!

SkatingOnClouds
03-16-2008, 02:56 AM
Thanks everyone for the condolences. Today I'm feeling very tired and a bit dopey, my neck is really sore, but no other ill-effects.

I do agree with all the comments that I must do what the doctor says. Even though I so rarely do hit my head (great reflexes and self-preservation) it just isn't worth the risk. Honestly I can't imagine not feeling like skating even tomorrow, but I will force myself to stay off the ice for the required period.

I haven't even started on my program yet, my coach always seems to leave it rather too close to the date for my taste. But she is preparing skaters for an interstate comp, so I understand. I was hoping to start in after Easter, so it won't be too much of a delay.

The worst thing for me about taking time off ice is that my spins totally fall apart after one missed week. Honestly, totally back to the beginning. So every time I start getting them good, something happens and I'm back to learning to centre a stork again. Let alone my hard-fought-for backspin. Sigh. I need some good spins for this comp.

Oh, and Doubletoe, the move I was trying to copy was just too silly for words. Bunny hop, bunny hop, followed by (what I think was) a bunny hop which landed backwards. It was the trying to do one with a 1/2 turn that did it, totally missed the pick to take off, and went over backwards.
It's always those silly footwork things at the end of the session, isn't it? Those things you're just not expecting to fall on.:roll:

Sessy
03-17-2008, 04:03 PM
Just back from the hospital... Was at my doctor's this afternoon, seemed like nothing was wrong but it got worse, so I went to the ER... Diagnosis: concussion, plus whiplash... :x

Mrs Redboots
03-17-2008, 05:09 PM
Oh dear - I'm superstitious enough that I was sure there'd be a third case of concussion on the boards this week.... and seems you were it!

Heal fast, and don't take any chances.

Sessy
03-20-2008, 12:17 PM
Hey... I've a question: is it normal to still have noticeable balance issues 4 days after the concussion or should I be getting worried?
Last time I only had a problem with my balance for maybe 2 days tops.

Mrs Redboots
03-21-2008, 08:26 AM
If you're at all worried, go straight back to A&E - they won't mind in the least if it's a false alarm.

But I believe it is normal to have balance issues for up to three MONTHS after a concussion, so it's probably nothing to worry about.

looplover
03-21-2008, 08:41 AM
Yikes, get well soon, Ladies!

Sessy
03-21-2008, 09:04 AM
If you're at all worried, go straight back to A&E - they won't mind in the least if it's a false alarm.

Yeah that's the part I'm not so sure about. I had to sort of move heaven and earth to get an appointment with my doctor in the first place, same with the ER... Also I wanted a photo of my spine (there's reason for it, frankly, I've had a fracture in a vertebrae before which wasn't immediately discovered) and I didn't get it, because the only reason for one is if you are either unable to get up by yourself, if you were in a traffic accident or if you fell from a great height... Lovely! If you're unable to get up by yourself it's pretty clear you have a fracture and you don't need a photo, you need a computer diagnostic tomography or whatever the name for that is in English. IMHO...

And while I was at the doctor's office, the assistant there had a conversation on the phone that went like:
"Okay madam, just calm down... WHERE did your child fall from? The ROOF? Oh my... And how is she now?.. Yes... Yes I understand please calm down. It's quite normal for children. I can make an appointment for you tomorrow... No I can't today anymore... No we're all booked"

And mind you, the system here is that if you haven't been to your doctor, you can't go to the ER. Even in the evenings, there's a sort of ER-like thing (where I went, too) that's just basically a normal doctor like the one you have, only the one that is on duty that night - it can be any doctor from your town. And unless they send you to the ER, you can't go there - you simply won't be accepted.
BTW they tried to pull that "tomorrow" stunt on me on monday as well. I basically just kept calling and bugging until I had an appointment that day. Not that it did a lot of good since my physician overlooked a concussion and said my neck was fine, which it most certainly wasn't according to the doctor on duty that night...

Bleh. I hate physicians over here.
On the bright side, I did get the name of the doc who was on duty and I plan to see if I can get her as my regular doctor cuz I've totally had it with my own physician, especially after that stunt he pulled on me when I had my ankle broken, which he told me to "move a lot".
BTW he told me to move my neck as much as I could and do physical exercises. My physiotherapist, who heard I'd cancelled the appointment cuz of injury, called to check up on me and he said that this suggestion was a VERY bad idea for whiplash and that physiotherapy, 9 out of 10 times, was counterproductive for whiplash. So right now I've totally had it with my physician, the ignorant prick he is, and I've no intention of seeing him anymore unless strictly necessary... The whole reason I still can't jump on that ankle is that he refused to send me to the hospital for about 6 months after my ankle was broken, insisting i needed to move it more - and the fracture was discovered faaaar too late. His advise is like, damaging instead of helpful. So BLEGH!!! :evil:

SkatingOnClouds
03-22-2008, 01:38 AM
...I believe it is normal to have balance issues for up to three MONTHS after a concussion ...

8O 8O I had balance issues today, hadn't noticed them before. Put it down to sinus problems, and it could be that. Sort of a low level infection.

But my spins are gonna suffer enough taking 2 weeks off ice, I can't imagine what they''' be like if I have balance issues to contend with ! 8O 8O 8O