View Full Version : Expression on Swing and Fiesta

double3s
03-14-2008, 10:23 PM
So the other day in lesson, as I was struggling with the Fiesta Tango mohawk for the zillionith time, the IER* told me "I tell you secret. At higher level skating, judges judging performance, no technique." He stopped and looked me in the eye and repeated emphatically, "Judges judging performance, no technique."

So on that note, I know that a tango is supposed to be sharp and crisp and aggressive looking - but I was wondering if I should be smiling?

Also, for Swing Dance - what the heck expression am I supposed to have? All I can think of is "sort of soft and lilty" but don't really know how to translate that into actual skating.

*IER = Insane Evil Russian

phoenix
03-14-2008, 11:25 PM
HAH! IER, I love it! I happen to have one of those myself. I'm actually taking Russian lessons to be able to do at least part of my lessons in Russian, eventually. At the moment, it at least lets me argue back a bit--this week I got (in Russian), "Where is the outside edge?!" I was able to immediately counter that with "Where are my suitcases?!"

Anyhoo, no, you should not smile for a tango. You should be serious, even mad if you can pull it off. At the Fiesta level, they're not really looking for huge expression, but they like it if you can do it. Sharp movements, quick feet, also very important.

Think of the Swing Dance as a foxtrot--lilty, happy, playful. Definitely smiling for that one.

Again, the judges aren't expecting great things from you yet at this level. However, I would argue that expression won't get you through a test if the edges/general technique isn't correct. Competition, I believe, is a whole different animal & I'd tend to agree more with your IER.

dooobedooo
03-15-2008, 02:45 AM
For dance presentation, it's not so much "what you do" as "what you don't do". So don't wave your arms around aimlessly. Don't slob about with upper body. DO point toes out, but mainly at extremes of leg position. Toe always leads when moving foot.

Do think about your body core and carriage as this makes a huge difference. For Tango, rib cage can be lifted slightly if you can manage it (proud look, lift it from centre, evenly all the way round). Shoulders should be down. Work out a good position for your arms and hands and stick to it all the way through (don't wave them around). Arms are lifted from the uppper arm/elbow. Chin should not be down. don't start worrying about getting a "Tango face" look; a neutral face will be fine; it's your body they are looking at, you are not in a TV soap drama.

Aside from that, just listen to the music. Sharp for Tango, lilty for Swing Dance. And timing is vitally important.

Get someone to video you to see if you have "rabbit in headlamps" look or "terrified pedestrian directing traffic" look. These and similar special effects are not generally catered for in the allocated marks for judging.

Mrs Redboots
03-15-2008, 12:03 PM
Yes, when the judges give you a mark for "timing and expression", "terrified" is not normally the expression they are looking for!

For the Fiesta, make sure that on the swing change of edge your free foot comes to a very definite standstill: Behind. In front. Behind again (same applies to the swing rolls on the Canasta, incidentally). Make sure the steps where you need to stay down in the knee you are really down, and those steps where you need to come up, you come up. Watch where your free foot is on the cross-in-front/cross-behind, and on the 2nd edge of the Mohawk. Try not to let it dangle in the breeze. Also on the cross-to-LBI edge, watch where your right foot is - try to pick it up and keep it behind your left foot, turned out and ready to step on to the RFI edge at the end of the dance.

In the Swing Dance, it should be much more flowy. Make sure your free leg stretches both behind and in front of you on the swing rolls, but there shouldn't be a definite stop. Lots of lean, if you can get it (I can't, without breaking at the hip). Watch the pattern - RBO edge after the Mohawk should be coming straight up the rink between the hockey circles, and the LBO swing roll at the end of the dance should be caressing the hockey circle.

My big problem at the moment in the Swing Dance is the Mohawk - either I rush it or I am in the wrong place and mess up the pattern! DEEP SIGH.