View Full Version : What is your routine at the Rink as a skater?

FSWer
03-12-2008, 09:34 PM
Ok Kids!!! Time to pleae tell what your routine at the Rink as a skater is?

Skittl1321
03-12-2008, 09:40 PM
Tuesday is my long day at the rink. It usually goes like this:
Get to rink at 4:30, put on skates, skate for about 15-20 minutes. Just stroking, maybe a few moves if it's not crowded, one or two spins, a jump or so. Not serious practice. Get off ice, take skates off to let feet rest (yep, they hurt after 15 minutes) chat with the skate director or stretch.

5:15- teach snowplow sam 1
5:45- teach adult 1
6:15-6:45 take Freestyle class

6:45 I get off the ice, take my skates off again, eat an orange for dinner, do a bit of stretching. Around 7:00 I'll get back on the ice for 20 minutes, then off the ice again to take my skates off for a few minutes. I have a lesson from 7:30-8:00. Then I usually skate about 10 more minutes, get off the ice, chat a bit as I take my skates off and leave the rink at 8:15.

Wednesday I get to the rink at 7:00 or so to watch club ice. I like watching the other skaters because I can see what they do similiar to me and what they do different. Synchro off ice starts at 7:30 and then we get on the ice and practice ends at 9:15.

Saturday I get to the rink about 8:45 (although I'm going to try to start getting there at 8:00 for at least a 30 minute practice session). I get on the ice and stroke for about 10 minutes then get off the ice and take my skates off to wiggle out my feet. At 9:15 I have a 30 minute power class, then I leave the rink for the day unless I am teaching a Girl Scout group (which is at noon).

If I'm good I go and practice Sunday for at least 30 minutes. I'd like to add a Monday freestyle into the routine too. I don't practice nearly as much as I should.

Mrs Redboots
03-13-2008, 07:56 AM
We arrive at about 7:15 and always sit in the same place to change our shoes. Make sure we greet everybody we pass. Husband goes off to run all the way round the rink as part of his warm-up; I usually just swing a limb or two. Mouthful of coffee. Put on the barrier: coffee mug, water bottle, MP3, CD case and gloves. Put on skates - left one first. Grab another mouthful of coffee. Tidy up bags and shoes, etc. Get on ice, get another mouthful of coffee. Then start skating.

Don't have a well-defined private warm-up routine; the Husband does, but his posture goes all over the shop while he's doing it, it is not edifying! I usually make sure I do a fast lap, and often a lap of Russian stroking, a lap of changes-of-edge and possibly a lap of cross-rolls. But not always.

Together, we skate hard and fast down one side of the rink in Open Kilian hold, then four pushes down the other side (I am supposed to involve my free arm here, and do so if I remember). Then we do progressive runs round 3/4 of the first hockey circle, change edge and lobe, and then round the 2nd circle, then present up the centre of the rink. Then, if there is time before our lesson, we do some exercises - currently one lap of the rink doing Swing Rolls; Kilian hold up one side and Reverse Kilian down the other, then one lap of chassés, in waltz hold with me going backwards to start, and with him going backwards down the second side. If these are satisfactory, we go on with whatever we're working on.

Mel On Ice
03-13-2008, 10:37 AM
If I am prepping for competition, my routine is to:

stretch prior to taking the ice
stroke two laps
stretch a little more at the boards, particularly legs and back
all spins, then
spins in programs
all jumps
then jump combinations
footwork and transitions
a runthrough of my program
practice those pieces and parts that didn't work in the runthrough

If I am just working on elements, I stretch and warm up all the elements, then I try experimenting with new combinations, new spins, new footwork.

If I am practicing MIF, I warm up with basic stroking, crossovers, glides and maybe run through a few of the bronze field moves before moving on to silver.

Kim to the Max
03-13-2008, 10:45 AM
1st 45 minutes
*Stroke
*Back cross overs in figure 8
*Jumps
*Spins
*Footwork
*Program
*Axels/other spins not in program

2nd 45 minutes
*MITF
*If time, work on axels/spins/fun stuff again

jazzpants
03-13-2008, 12:26 PM
Here's mine:

Wake up
(On days that I go see my secondary coach, call the rink to make sure secondary coach is actually AT the rink... if not, hang up phone, think "AHHHH BLISS!!!" and go back to bed. :twisted: :lol: )
(Assuming secondary coach is there, curse at Skate Gods as to "why oh WHY!!!" do I torture myself getting up this #$&@^+ early in the morning to fight thru the morning commute JUST to get tortured by this coach in less than a couple of hours....)
Get out of bed
Get stuff together, (In the mornings, heating up breakfast), put skating clothes on
Get in car (sometimes with coffee in commuter cup and breakfast in hand.)
Drive to rink
Move around a little, just to loosen up the joints a little and wake up muscles.
Put skates on
Warm up with moves -- currently it's stroke around the rink then two foot power pulls, then one foot power pulls, perimeter crossovers. If I need extra, I'll do forward cross-strokes too.
(Mumble something about being half awake on days that I see secondary coach :lol: )
Footwork/Moves for the program I'm working on today
Spins
Jumps
Program runthrus(Hope secondary coach is reading this... she might get a kick out of my jabs at her. Shows she's doing her job!!! :twisted: :P :lol: )

RoaringSkates
03-13-2008, 01:51 PM
I tend to go directly from car to ice, since I don't have a lot of time for skating. I warm up on-ice, so my first 5-10 minutes are spent doing first stroking, then swing rolls front and back, backward progressives, etc., to warm up. I then like to try to do elements from the dance I'm working on, to warm them up. Then I do the dance slowish, and as I do it again, I bring it up to speed. At the end of my workout, maybe I work on another dance, or work on elements of my main dance again. Then I'm done.

When I'm skating with my dance partner/coach, we warm up together, which is actually a lot of fun.

I stretch once I get home. The rink is too gross to stretch out in!

icedancer2
03-13-2008, 02:04 PM
I stretch once I get home. The rink is too gross to stretch out in!

Do you skate at my old hockey rink?:lol:

Let's see:

drive 20 minutes to the rink
look through the window to see how the ice looks
walk into the rink and see if there is anyone around to pay. If not, wait until later
Say hi to whomever is on the benches
always sit in the same place
if I have time - stretch or do a little jogging
put on skates
get mittens/gloves/water bottle/CDs/iPod
Warm up with figures - at least 20 minutes
do some stroking, edges, cross-overs, progressives, turns, mohawks/chocktaw, etc. - all of that stuff
do some Moves either from the test I'm working on (Silver) or past tests or future tests
work on dances or parts of dances
put on some dance music (usually to get the music off of the techno that another skater always brings) and start to work on the dance. Even if I don't really want to do that dance I will do that anyway just to get rid of the techno and then I will put some other music on
If my coach is there I may or may not ask for a lesson. She has gotten to the point where "regular lessons" don't seem to occur and you have to ask her every time. It's cool once I figured out that that was what she was up to. also she doesn't pay any attention to the time anymore so you kind of have to tell you when the lesson is over, either because you are tired or you feel you've used up enough of her time and only have so much $$ to pay her...
socialize with friends, look at their skating, make suggestion
get off the ice and try to do some cool-down stretches without getting grossed out by the conditions in the lobby.

Rusty Blades
03-13-2008, 02:07 PM
Well, lets see .....
- radio comes on at 3:30 a.m.
- dog gets up and seeks a safe out of the way corner
- Dianne doesn't hear a thing
- clock radio starts to buzz at 3:40
- dog looks on in faint hope of breakfast
- travel alarm on headboard starts to chirp at 3:45
- Dianne does her best to ignore annoying chirping
- 3:58 a.m. the annoying chirping finally starts to reach Dianne's subconscious
- 4 a.m. Dianne realizes what time it is and LEAPS out of bed!
- begin to dress with clothes laid out the night before (NEVER make clothing decisions at 4 a.m.!)
- something doesn't feel right - turn on the light
- take the long-johns off and put them on UNDER the slacks
- put on bra - wonder why the catches wont catch
- take off bra and put on again right-side-out
- pull on top, wonder why both sleeves are on the same side - try again
- pick up plastic bag with office clothes (prepared the night before - see rule above!)
- head down stairs, turn on computer and coffee maker
- visit bathroom
- back-track to find bag with office clothes and put it with skate bag
- pour first coffee and park in front of computer - try to see screen through eyelids
- check email, Facebook, and scrabble games (mind comes up with some very creative words at 4:10 a.m.!)
- drink 2nd cup of coffee (have to be awake enough to find the car in 40 minutes!)
- 4:40, time for hair and makeup
- 4:55 feed the dog and out the door
- 5:00 on the road
- 5:05 go back for skate bag
- 5:08 go back for office clothes
- 5:12 head for the city (Where am I going? Oh yea!)
- 5:55 arrive at Tim Horton's for breakfast sandwich & GIANT coffee - they know me, I don't need to order.....
- 6:00 munch Tim's breakfast sandwich in the car
- 6:15 arrive at the rink
- 6:16 check the ice and grumble about the terrible flood
- 6:17 clean up the trash and close all the gates, cuss hockey-playing slobs
- 6:19 go to the maintenance room for the keys
- 6:20 unlock the coaches' room and music stand
- 6:22 return keys to maintenance room
- 6:23 stand outside with night man and have a smoke
- 6:30 bathroom break
- 6:40 back to the coaches' room to warm-up and stretch
- 6:45 back to the bathroom (remember all the coffee?)
- 6:47 back to the coaches' room to boot up
- 6:50 out into the rink to put on the music (before the youngsters put on some darned-fool head-banger stuff!)
- 6:55 take to the ice

skate
lesson

- 8:30 drag what's left of my weary broken carcass back to the coaches' room
- take skates off, wipe blades, and put away skates
- wring sweat out of bra
- change to office clothes
- head for car
- go back and retrieve skate bag
- return to car
- search for keys
- search coaches' room for purse
- search for car
- drive to work
- realize it was a day off
- return home
- go back to bed (with dog) and pull covers over head

Mrs Redboots
03-14-2008, 11:01 AM
Sheesh, Dianne....:lol::lol: :lol:

onlyhappyonice
03-14-2008, 11:21 AM
Well, lets see .....
- begin to dress with clothes laid out the night before (NEVER make clothing decisions at 4 a.m.!)
- pick up plastic bag with office clothes (prepared the night before - see rule above!)
- visit bathroom
- pour first coffee and park in front of computer - try to see screen through eyelids
- check email, Facebook, and scrabble games (mind comes up with some very creative words at 4:10 a.m.!)
- drink 2nd cup of coffee (have to be awake enough to find the car in 40 minutes!)
- 5:55 arrive at Tim Horton's for breakfast sandwich & GIANT coffee - they know me, I don't need to order.....
- 6:50 out into the rink to put on the music (before the youngsters put on some darned-fool head-banger stuff!)

skate
lesson

- wring sweat out of bra
- head for car
- return to car
- search for keys
- search for car
- drive to work
- return home

That's a hell of a routine, I couldn't imagine getting up a 3 to start the day, I do 5 sometimes when I have to be at work early but I feel it afterwards.

Plus if there was a rink around me that was open at 5 I'd be there every morning :(

Kim to the Max
03-14-2008, 11:23 AM
That's a hell of a routine, I couldn't imagine getting up a 3 to start the day, I do 5 sometimes when I have to be at work early but I feel it afterwards.

Plus if there was a rink around me that was open at 5 I'd be there every morning :(

We were talking about early morning (6am) sessions yesterday....I'm glad that I don't need to do them...although, I would probably enjoy them....with my job it's just not possible...I often times have meetings that go from 10pm-midnight, which would make it quite difficult to get up at 4:30 in time to leave at 5:15 to get to the rink by 5:45 to get on the ice at 6....

onlyhappyonice
03-14-2008, 11:32 AM
We were talking about early morning (6am) sessions yesterday....I'm glad that I don't need to do them...although, I would probably enjoy them....with my job it's just not possible...I often times have meetings that go from 10pm-midnight, which would make it quite difficult to get up at 4:30 in time to leave at 5:15 to get to the rink by 5:45 to get on the ice at 6....

I'm an 8-5pm office worker and my partner works night shifts and we have two children so for us aside from our lessons our time on the ice is limited, I'd be glad of any ice time I could get :D

MQSeries
03-14-2008, 02:58 PM
Well, lets see .....
- visit bathroom

skate
lesson

- wring sweat out of bra
- head for car
- return to car
- search for keys
- search for car
- drive to work
- return home

When did the dog go out for his bathroom break ;)

jazzpants
03-14-2008, 03:11 PM
When did the dog go out for his bathroom break ;)I'm surprised you don't go back to the bathroom for a 3rd time AFTER the skate! :lol: :P

This is another reason why I don't wear skating dresses!!! It's not often (thank goodness) but I like to be able to duck into a bathroom at a moment's notice to take care of things w/o struggling with the skating dress. :twisted:

Rusty Blades
03-14-2008, 05:06 PM
When did the dog go out for his bathroom break ;)

My dog lives the Life of Riley - she has her own doggie door into a 30x60 foot fenced run (with her own picnic table!) and her own sofa. She comes and goes as she pleases 8-)

sk84ever&ever
03-14-2008, 07:23 PM
Arrive stretch, stroking, spins, spin combos, lunges, bunny hops, jumps, footwork, spirals, pieces of my program, program.;)

momsk8er
03-14-2008, 07:45 PM
Dianne - lol - love the part about forgetting everything. at least you remember before you get too far. twice this winter we've gotten to the rink without skates.

kander
03-15-2008, 12:04 AM
Geez, I go to bed when some of you get up 8O That's why I never would have been a good competitive skater. I wouldn't get up that early even if my bed was on fire!

My typical routine:

2 Fast laps
2 sets of one foot power pulls on each foot in each direction
3 or 4 scratch spins
1 sit spin/maybe change sit
a few camel spins
waltz/axels
toe loops
salchows
loops
more axels
any combination of the above
after two hours crawl off ice on all foursI gave up flips and lutzes a long time ago because they were trashing my back.